• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

The Manual

Sabnock

is there a pdf version of the manual?

I'm crap at reading stuff on line and like to have a solid document i can print off and read.

we have a very nice binding machine where i work :D

J

jackhigh24

no, and pointless to as things get added and taken away at any time, maybe a ereader is what you need.

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
no, and pointless to as things get added and taken away at any time, maybe a ereader is what you need.
While GML built-in functions as a whole is volatile, certain basic sections of it aren't --- think basic control structures, collisions, I/O, math and string functions. These also happen to be the same functions that monopolize most of the active logic in a game project. It's an extreme case of Pareto's Law.

For people who prefer printed media, printing out just those sections for reference could still be worthwhile.

J

jackhigh24

@FrostyCat ye that's quite true and might be useful to have the bits that dont change, although to print out the basics and bind them in a book would take longer than reading and learning/remembering them in the first place, so what ever tickles your fancy i suppose.

A

Aura

This is sadly an issue that many face. Given that creating (...and distributing) your own PDF version of the Manual would be against the EULA, you can still open the CHM file on mobile platforms.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/chmate-the-epub-and-chm-reader/id335157929?mt=8

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pdagate.chmreader&hl=en

There's an online version of the Manual as well. You can always print out specific pages of the Manual using the printing option that the CHM file provides anyway.

H

Heat4Life

The GameMaker: Studio Manual is included in GameMaker: Studio. Just open up GameMaker: Studio, create/load a Project and click the "?" icon at the Toolbar.

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
When someone says they prefer reading the manual in paper form, advising them to read it on their computer or mobile device, probably isn't helpful.

Hopefully by now, the OP discovered there are many free CHM to PDF converters available. And printing a copy for his personal reading should be fine. That's considered "fair use" of copyrighted material.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
pretty sure you can open the manual and print a chapter, then target a PDF output..... I'm sure some one pointed this out in the past. And yes.... printing for your own use is fine.

EDIT: yes, just tried. open up the help (F1), select a folder in the contents and right click. Select print. You can then select PDF there.

N

NPT

pretty sure you can open the manual and print a chapter, then target a PDF output..... I'm sure some one pointed this out in the past. And yes.... printing for your own use is fine.

EDIT: yes, just tried. open up the help (F1), select a folder in the contents and right click. Select print. You can then select PDF there.
Printing to PDF is a Windows 10 feature, it doesn't exist in Windows 8.x or earlier. Although earlier has the ability to print to XPS. Being able to print to PDF on pre-10 can also be accomplished through some third party print drivers.

RekNepZ

GMC Historian
Or you could do what I did at age 11 and copy it all to a word document!

Making a PDF is probably better though.

Sabnock

thanks all for the responses .

I will check out the free CHM to PDF mentioned above.

i guess i am just one of those guys who needs to run his finger across a page with my tongue sticking out slightly from the corner of my mouth :D

S

Storyteller

microsoft xps printer prints to pdf if you dont have a printer or win 10, used that on win 7 for ages