The Magic Bowman

Discussion in 'Work in Progress' started by Kyon, Apr 29, 2019.

1. Kyon

Kyon Member

So I have been working on a game for some time now,
    it's called The Magic Bowman, and it'll be an story action-platformer focused around comedy and tragedy.
    I started working on this 10 months ago. It started as an idea for a slowmotion effect I had, but slowly worked it out into a whole game.

[​IMG]

The idea this time was to focus on gameplay and game-feel before making actual content.
    This started out as a good idea, but now 10 months later I don't really have much gameplay at all. I keep redesigning everything. Like, the "opening scene" especially. At the moment I'm redoing it from scratch for the 4th time. (although I feel like this is the one)

The game engine is close to done I guess. It took me a long time to make the bow-mechanics compatible with both gamepad and keyboard+mouse.
    The game features a very nice platformer engine, wall climbing, walljumping, hiding, fighting, dashing (only thing that really needs more work).
    But also a great conversation/msgbox engine.
    And a LOT of game-feel tweaks and small visual effects.

[​IMG]

For the first time the real problem has become level-design and story. This was usually my most favourite part (still is, but it's harder now). I'm having some trouble with what to do with the game, where it's going etc.
    Anyway, if anyone is interested I'll post some gifs and progress here, and I'm very open for help and opinions. I'll try to make a demo asap, but I've been telling that for the last half year so who knows.

I'll clean up this post later I think, this was just me typing what's in my head ha.

Kyon.

2. tuegg

tuegg Member

I really like the art style in this game, would love to get my hands on a playable version. It sounds to me like you're in need of some organisation and planning! I know what it's like to want to keep redoing things as you go though.

Hope to see some more soon - good luck with the rest of it :)

Kyon likes this.
  3. Siolfor the Jackal

Siolfor the Jackal Member

Glad to finally see a topic for this. Very muchlooking forward to seeing you finish, dude. It looks great.

Kezarus and Kyon like this.
  4. Toque

Toque Member

Intersting art style. Well done.

Kyon likes this.
  5. frd

frd Member

Got to agree, looks really cool. The feel is ace.

Kyon likes this.
  6. Morendral

Morendral Member

Art style is very nice. Gameplay looks interesting, and the dialogue system looks good.

Maybe releasing a demo, even if it's just to a small group of people might generate some inspiration for you? It looks pretty solid so far, regroup and get some fresh perspective on where the project is going so you don't wander about and give up

Toque and Kyon like this.
  7. pixeltroid

pixeltroid Member

looks excellent! Great visual style! Combat looks fun!

Will the player be using only a bow and arrow??

8. John Andrews

John Andrews Living Enigma

Looks like a really nice game! I'll wait for a playable demo as the artstyle is pretty neat an I wan't to see if the gameplay is just as good, so notify me when that happens :D

Kyon likes this.
  9. Kyon

Kyon Member

Thanks so much for the kind words and feedback, that means a lot! :)

So I'm quite happy about my game "intro". It's playable, I even let some people play it somewhere last week and got lots of laughs and good feedback!
    So that's exciting haha.
    This playable intro is doable in 3 minutes though. I'm really struggling to write the 2nd part of the intro, which will be inside an old crypt. I'm planning to make some cool indiana-jones-like puzzles and stealth elements.
    Along with finally some platforming and more comedy.
    [​IMG]

I find it really hard to come up with a proper pacing. I really like what I have now, and I don't want to ruin it with the next scene.
    I'm planning some sort of lightning puzzle but can't come up with anything good. (anyone who wants to brainstorm with me some time about good side-scroller puzzles?)
    It's also that I haven't really established the story. I have some ideas but it's still vague. Game design has never been this hard haha.

Thanks! Still tweaking the whole battle-system. It's the one thing I dislike the most right now.
    Using just bow and arrow is the plan yeah, but you also have dashing, and the bow has 3 "power levels". The longer you hold the better the arrow (as seen in that first gif).
    But I'm still thinking about a better system.

I'm also planning stuff like, when you hold you arrow close to a fire, it gets on fire, and then you can fire it. Maybe to solve puzzles. But not sure how a fire arrow would be better than that 3rd level red arrow.
    I was also thinking about letting the player teleport to the arrows position. But I'm getting headaches if I think about the coding work and the bugs that it would bring. Also, how to control it as a player?

Thanks again!
    I'll post some more if I have something visual for that next area.
    Also, maybe if lots of people want it I might be thinking about releasing this small intro to play. But not sure.

Kezarus and Siolfor the Jackal like this.
  10. Kyon

Kyon Member

So I never made a video of my game before, but here is one.
    I'm messing around with the stealth system of my game. This is just a test room (so keep in mind this ain't final art, these are just squares mostly).

What you think? :)

Update:
    Little bit of stress-testing:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019