The Legend of the Knight Templar (Hack n slash/Fast Paced Action Platformer) [DEMO]

C

CAREFACE

Hello GM community,
This was my first game I ever started working on a few years back as a hobby.

==========================================================================

DOWNLOAD
ITCH.IO
GAMEJOLT

In this game is you will experience a complex Hack n Slash combat with abilities and combos. This prototype for now is very focused on gameplay with very little plot to reveal.
It might take you a while to get the grip of it, and thats why I created a Training Room for you to explore the combat, and If you're into fighting games, you will for sure love it to grind combos over and over.

I am trying to find a solution to simplify the controls, and cut some of them to be playable with a controller, which it will be my next update on it.

The Game

Take control of the forsaken legendary Templar, reveal his hidden powers and unleash devastating moves to defeat whoever stands in your way.

The game offers different playstyles, from basic Hack n Slash, stealth, abilities, ranged/magic, or even better to never make things boring, mix the use of all of them.
They're all balanced and it's all about being creative on your combos!

Secret items and chests to find, gold and combat points grind will be needed to make your life easier.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Giga Nova

The gameplay looks really, really good! It's quite satisfying to watch. I'll be looking into this, can't wait to see what else you can do!

B

blue apple

It's always nice to find games with old graphic style , the animations are smooth , and the gameplay looks pretty fun , the only problem i noticed is that it looked too easy to play?
I know there is challenges for hardcore player but the main quests have to give some diffuculty too , it's maybe because it's the trailer or perfectly played by you
Anyway I'll try it myself and I'll give you more precise feedbacks on it :D ( for now i only watched the trailer and i am pretty excitted)

C

CAREFACE

The gameplay looks really, really good! It's quite satisfying to watch. I'll be looking into this, can't wait to see what else you can do!
I think I spoiled most of the good combat stuff (oops), but theres still a few new tricks.. I guess I was afraid of people not finding the game interesting..

It's always nice to find games with old graphic style , the animations are smooth , and the gameplay looks pretty fun , the only problem i noticed is that it looked too easy to play?
I know there is challenges for hardcore player but the main quests have to give some diffuculty too , it's maybe because it's the trailer or perfectly played by you
Anyway I'll try it myself and I'll give you more precise feedbacks on it :D ( for now i only watched the trailer and i am pretty excitted)
I believe it might not be that easy for newcomers. It will feel like a fighting game in the end and some practice to deal some good combo strings. ;D And yes, I made it look easy for sure.
The best tip I can give is to make a good use of the Blocking. Most new players just try to rush into fighting, but the sword for example, has a slow attack rate at first and you will probably get traded on blows. So yeah, Block then counter attack! It gets easier as you level up x)
I nerfed sooo many times the NPC's, because when I gave the game to my friends, they found it way too hard to deal with, and minimal use of Blocking.
Also the game doesn't really teaches you properly how to fight, and that's because I had a hard time trying to fill everything on a short level, so that can be an issue for some, unless they really are up to for some PRACTICE.
That's actually why I ended up putting a final challenge in the end, to give everyone a chance to actually play it.

Thanks! :D

C

CAREFACE

So I realized that the bandits were attacking way too fast.
The biggest challenge for new players might be the actual controls and getting the grip of them, so throwing those super fast attacking swordsman bandits right away is painful for those who are trying to learn.
I always felt comfortable with the combat so I never felt the need to actually tweak them, my bad.

There are 2 versions of each bandit, so from now on, it should be very easy to deal with the normal versions as you can now anticipate (briefly) their attacks, while the advanced ones, with a reddish color (that spawns upon clearing all enemies in the area), will require some agility and more aggressiveness toward them.

Also added the option to fight those bandits in the Training Room, so you can fight/practice them without worrying about dying over and over.

Keep in mind that I like challenging games and I had no intention to make this one easy at all. I believe the biggest struggle is the introduction of the combat, but that was my mistake when building up the level, that ended being too small for such complexity. You’ll just have to sit at the Training Room to explore better the combat and feel comfortable with the controls.

This is a fast paced action and not a regular Hack n Slash, so you just have to make stuff happen and react to them. Or just don’t play it.. its understandable x)

I might upload a Playthrough of the game on youtube with some Combat tips later this week.

Go give a shot and throw some of your feedback will ya.

Game on scrubs!

F

FROGANUS

Screenies looked a little wide open and sparse, but the action in the video looks really zippy and well-done! I'd like to try it.

I will suggest right off the bat, you might consider some kind of dynamic zooming, also, adding some variation to the large spaces of rock texture would make it look much nicer.
I'll let you know if I get a chance to test.

C

CAREFACE

Screenies looked a little wide open and sparse, but the action in the video looks really zippy and well-done! I'd like to try it.

I will suggest right off the bat, you might consider some kind of dynamic zooming, also, adding some variation to the large spaces of rock texture would make it look much nicer.
I'll let you know if I get a chance to test.
I tried many ways to actually playing it zoomed in, its looks much nicer and feels a different game. But that impacts of what it has so far and cuts a lot of the screen/action. I basically would have to re-adjust everything, or maybe I'm missing some kind of trick.
I still don't have much experience about Screen Resolution stuff. It all started on a windowed 800x600 and later changed to 1024x768, so you can see that was an issue when I decided going to fullscreen later on. It's something I have my eyes on for a while.

Most of the art is pretty much dry and I hated Tiling, so didn't bother much about tile variation (at least for now), not only that, it lacks aswell static assets.
But yeah, in the end its just a Prototype I guess.

Thanks, I'll be looking forward to hear about your playthrough :]

This game is really awesome my friend :) I love the melee and combo centric combat and its always cool to see how other people approach the same type of game I'm trying to make. My only suggestion right now would be to please implement controller support! It would feel so much more awesome with an already dope game!

C

CAREFACE

This game is really awesome my friend :) I love the melee and combo centric combat and its always cool to see how other people approach the same type of game I'm trying to make. My only suggestion right now would be to please implement controller support! It would feel so much more awesome with an already dope game!
Glad you liked it, your little game sounds interesting as well ;]
I only started to think about gamepad at the very end of the project, and the way I built it, was kinda annoying to implement gamepad inputs.
Ended up trying anyway, but it was way too confusing to play with it than the keyboard. The game needs some rework on keybindings, more simplicity/less keys.
So gamepad support ain't happenin for now..

Cheers

B

blue apple

Well , i found some time to play it so i can finally give more accurate feedback :
As I expected the game-play is quite complete and allows different ways to approach fights, even if the controls are a little hard to take in hand ,I quickly got used to it , nevertheless I find that the enemies drop too much items which does not encourage much to think before launching 10 shuriken on 1 enemies (i did it a lot :rolleyes:)
Graphically it's quite pleasant and the style stands out among the games with realistic graphics (RETRO IS THE BEST :p), all it lacks is a little smoothing on the textures
In terms of audio , sounds are fine with the game even if the sound atmosphere (music) is poor , if you're interested, a friend of mine creates cool musics , he could create few musics for your game for free if you do some advertising for his channel ;) : "Yaya drops" https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmahZvO-m3b2Ib5318SmUHA

Anyway the game is generally very good and I hope it is better known and that you continue to improve it :)

good continuation :D

C

CAREFACE

Well , i found some time to play it so i can finally give more accurate feedback :
As I expected the game-play is quite complete and allows different ways to approach fights, even if the controls are a little hard to take in hand ,I quickly got used to it , nevertheless I find that the enemies drop too much items which does not encourage much to think before launching 10 shuriken on 1 enemies (i did it a lot :rolleyes:)
Graphically it's quite pleasant and the style stands out among the games with realistic graphics (RETRO IS THE BEST :p), all it lacks is a little smoothing on the textures
In terms of audio , sounds are fine with the game even if the sound atmosphere (music) is poor , if you're interested, a friend of mine creates cool musics , he could create few musics for your game for free if you do some advertising for his channel ;) : "Yaya drops" https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmahZvO-m3b2Ib5318SmUHA

Anyway the game is generally very good and I hope it is better known and that you continue to improve it :)

good continuation :D
Hey, thanks for playing and the feedback.
Yeah the drop rate is high in general, and they're cheap at the merchant.
You actually got a point since the game should be focused in melee combat, I'll keep an eye on that.

Not so sure about the continuation, its not getting much attention and its "hard" or just bad level design for people actually see its full potential.
But I believe that happens with everyone right, devs get excited about their own game but ends up not getting the attention they expect. But that won't hold me back, I'll be always learning and do it better next time.
Best chances are starting from scratch and modify its art style, but that will take a while to return to.
I think I've mentioned before, this was my first project I started working on , so, it was all a learning experience and I want to explore new genres.

Thanks for suggesting your friend, I'll check it out when I get some free time. The game indeed lacks BGM, thats because that I gave up trying to find free music that fits this game atmosphere. Its the least I can do for now with this project.

May I ask how far did you reach in the game?

Thanks again! ;)

S

Silver_Mantis

Hey cool gameplay! (I haven't played yet) but it looks pretty innovative. The actions the player can perform are impressive.
ONE LET DOWN ... The name.
Being a huge fan of 10th - 13th century warfare, the title is super misleading.
I actually thought this was going to be an awesome Knights Templar game where you freed Jerusalem hahah!

Other than that, you have a pretty nice project going! Keep up the good work! :)

C

CAREFACE

Hey cool gameplay! (I haven't played yet) but it looks pretty innovative. The actions the player can perform are impressive.
ONE LET DOWN ... The name.
Being a huge fan of 10th - 13th century warfare, the title is super misleading.
I actually thought this was going to be an awesome Knights Templar game where you freed Jerusalem hahah!

Other than that, you have a pretty nice project going! Keep up the good work! :)
Yeah the title was a bit rushed, the main idea of the plot is about a warrior who was an old templar, that has a plot twist on one of the crusades that turns him into what he is, the last templar alive tousand years later, the legend. This is not mentioned on this demonstration, so yeah, its a bad title. x)

Cheers!

B

blue apple

Hey, thanks for playing and the feedback.
Yeah the drop rate is high in general, and they're cheap at the merchant.
You actually got a point since the game should be focused in melee combat, I'll keep an eye on that.

Not so sure about the continuation, its not getting much attention and its "hard" or just bad level design for people actually see its full potential.
But I believe that happens with everyone right, devs get excited about their own game but ends up not getting the attention they expect. But that won't hold me back, I'll be always learning and do it better next time.
Best chances are starting from scratch and modify its art style, but that will take a while to return to.
I think I've mentioned before, this was my first project I started working on , so, it was all a learning experience and I want to explore new genres.

Thanks for suggesting your friend, I'll check it out when I get some free time. The game indeed lacks BGM, thats because that I gave up trying to find free music that fits this game atmosphere. Its the least I can do for now with this project.

May I ask how far did you reach in the game?

Thanks again! ;)
I only finished the first level (i don't really have much time now with my studies) I'll try to finish it soon to give you more feedbacks ;)