Windows The Legend of Hilda: Dimensions' Call

Silb

https://gamejolt.com/games/lohdc/300460

You play the role of Albus, who gets trapped in the land of Miterra by a nebulous wizard. In order to return to your own world, you must explore this new land and locate magical relics of the ancients. A perilous journey begins...

This game is a spiritual successor to The Adventure of Link, borrowing many elements from that game but with most of its flaws changed or removed. It plays more like a traditional Zelda game - there are no extra lives, game overs are nowhere near as punishing and items/ spells have a more active role rather than just being glorified keys.

It features a decently large overworld, with 4 main dungeons and optional/ secret areas here and there. There are 3 difficulty levels to choose from for casual and hardcore players alike.

If you decide to give the game a try, I would greatly appreciate feedback.

Last edited:

K12gamer

Just started the game...Very impressive so far...
Slayed several creatures....Learned how to kneel down and restore my health at that fountain.
Haven't used any spells yet...
Brings back good NES style memories.

Silb

Thank you for the comments!
Forgot to turn on notifications, so I thought this thread was still under moderation :D

Silb

There have been a few updates since I last posted here, so I'll do a short summary:
  • The graphics have been improved.
  • An optional area was expanded and now features a new boss battle.
  • New spell added.
  • Lots of minor improvements and bugfixes.

Silb

Small update! I've implemented a fix (thanks to this forum) so that movement is no longer interrupted when entering a new room. I've also slightly toned down Dungeon 4's final boss, though it's still quite challenging. That's it for now, enjoy!

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
It looks nice, although some of those sprites look very familiar(I don't recommend using the originals or even something that looks very similar, that's just me). It seems like you are pretty borderline on what falls under fair usage, what with the sprites being basically the same as the game you took inspiration from(some, not all, I see some unique stuff too), and then you have the Triforce.... it doesn't look like it would qualify as parody either. That said, more likely than not, nothing happens, but be ready in case some way some how Nintendo decides to find out and they don't like it.

That said, I wish they had picked up the job of actually expanding on the 2d platformer Zelda concept like you have done here. There is plenty of improvement that could have been done expanding on the original idea.

Silb

It looks nice, although some of those sprites look very familiar(I don't recommend using the originals or even something that looks very similar, that's just me). It seems like you are pretty borderline on what falls under fair usage, what with the sprites being basically the same as the game you took inspiration from(some, not all, I see some unique stuff too), and then you have the Triforce.... it doesn't look like it would qualify as parody either. That said, more likely than not, nothing happens, but be ready in case some way some how Nintendo decides to find out and they don't like it.

That said, I wish they had picked up the job of actually expanding on the 2d platformer Zelda concept like you have done here. There is plenty of improvement that could have been done expanding on the original idea.
Actually, an older version of this game was taken down in the past (though it wasn't individually targeted). Back then it was called something different, and was much more egregious in terms of infringement. That's why most enemy sprites are redrawn with the original design in mind. If I had started this project today and not ten years ago it would've looked different though for sure.