GMC Jam Discussion The Leapin' GMC Jam 36 Discussion Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghandpivot

I will sadly have very limited time to participate but I'll try to toss together something entertaining at least! I've got a stupid idea as usual.

dadio

Potato Overlord
GMC Elder
"Just 19 hours to go now!"

Oh Lawd!
I need to pay more attention!
Just realizing now that this thing starts on a Thursday/today! D'oh!

Lukan

Gay Wizard Freak
Oh, I thought it still started on a Friday... Huh, I'll still be able to do a bit methinks.

Gizmo199

Oh shiiii! Just woke up with a full weekend of free time! Not gonna lie already got an idea for this. Hope my ambitions arent too high! I am excited! Is it okay to redesign a smaller version that is jam specific to an idea I have been working on already? As in using art assets, audio and what not but making a smaller version of a game I already have assets for? It ties in perfectly!

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
Making lots of art. Maybe a game to follow..........?
How about a game about costly art?

...I just got reminded of all these artist memes about all these commissioners who want to pay with "exposure", sometimes even going as far to say that it's the artist who should pay money for such an opportunity.

Toque

How about a game about costly art?

...I just got reminded of all these artist memes about all these commissioners who want to pay with "exposure", sometimes even going as far to say that it's the artist who should pay money for such an opportunity.
How true is that! Hmmm wouldn't that make a cool game idea......... Nothing like mocking ones self!

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
I'm kinda tempted to sit this one out... there's been work crunch going on all week, so I'm a bit exhausted, and even after thinking for like 6 hours about what to make, I can't come up with any way to make adding costs fun. Costs always are that limiting factor that stops you from having all the fun you want at once, basically giving you a skinnerbox where the upgrades trickle down slowly. I suppose I could add an upgrade system just for the token theme inclusion, but that feels like too much work for a jam...

This theme reminds me of the flash game Upgrade Complete ... You have to pay at the start to buy the UI, the mouse cursor and even Play button itself!

Pretty good theme I think,could equally apply to a game about moral choices.

NightFrost

You have to pay at the start to buy the UI, the mouse cursor and even Play button itself!
While I don't have the time for this jam, I did have an idea similar to this when I saw the theme being guessed. A SHMUP where you have to buy everything. You couldn't click play or even quit buttons until you'd caught enough falling coins in the title screen. The play button would have autobuy and autoclick enabled so you can't keep on catching coins when you have enough; it could be disabled but of course would cost you more. The item shop would have everything you need to play. Even controls, enemy visibility and bullet visibility (enemy and your own) and gaining score from kills. So the first playthrough would be you unable to move the ship or shoot or see anything, but the miniscule time spent in game would be enough to earn enough coin to unlock one directional control. And so on. Of course after everything's unlocked it is just your old SHMUP, so the idea wasn't terribly exciting to me.

Relic

Joining in Nightfrost's "don't have time but here is the idea" post,

I would have made a space battle game where movement, turning, firing, flak defence, shield activation all consumed some "activation point pool". I imagine I was heading down something to what the tabletop starwars space fighter game is like though I've not played it myself. Probably too ambitious to have multiple ships classes and develop an AI within the jam timeframe. Since I don't have time for a tic tac toe clone, probably for the best.

curato

While I don't have the time for this jam, I did have an idea similar to this when I saw the theme being guessed. A SHMUP where you have to buy everything. You couldn't click play or even quit buttons until you'd caught enough falling coins in the title screen. The play button would have autobuy and autoclick enabled so you can't keep on catching coins when you have enough; it could be disabled but of course would cost you more. The item shop would have everything you need to play. Even controls, enemy visibility and bullet visibility (enemy and your own) and gaining score from kills. So the first playthrough would be you unable to move the ship or shoot or see anything, but the miniscule time spent in game would be enough to earn enough coin to unlock one directional control. And so on. Of course after everything's unlocked it is just your old SHMUP, so the idea wasn't terribly exciting to me.
You must secretly work for EA.

AnotherHero

Yikes. My game is falling apart right at the end here, what I thought was going to be the simplest mechanic is proving to be one of the more difficult to program.
Objects not staying where I want them to be, double/triple spawns, things glitching their way into position...

This is going about as well as I thought it would :duck:

Xer0botXer0

Senpai
Yikes. My game is falling apart right at the end here, what I thought was going to be the simplest mechanic is proving to be one of the more difficult to program.
Objects not staying where I want them to be, double/triple spawns, things glitching their way into position...

This is going about as well as I thought it would :duck:
Just fix it with MORE code,

or quickly rewrite it lol.

I get each aspect to a workable state then move onto the next.
Decided not to drink today(well until I'm done). xD
Only have today to finish cause work tomorrow so I'll just be browsing the forum tomorrow.

var

Who are those people that you're working with ? They've got no posts o:
We're IRL friends that @Cat dragged into these game jams :)

Coming from a coding background in other languages I'm not a huge fan of GML so I don't do much with it. However, I love the community here and the non-competitiveness of the jams, so I'm always happy to participate in them! That's why I don't have many posts other than jam-related ones.

AnotherHero

Submitted! I was getting burnt out and needed to close the curtain on the game. But I'm happy with my result!
I had fun and I look forward to playing your games ! :)

Lukan

Gay Wizard Freak
I'm not thrilled with my game, but I might fiddle with it later on down the road.
For now though, all of my development brain must be reserved for Homestead.

Mercerenies

I'm done too. Honestly, I'm pretty happy with mine. I ended up getting burned out on level design so I stopped at 24 (was originally hoping for closer to 30). But aside from that, it does everything I want and feels about how I pictured it.

Bearman_18

Fruit Stand Deadbeat

I have finished "Danmakuconomy"! It's game that combines two things I love, bullet hells and economics. Enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.