• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

The last 110 years of radio... in space!

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
...the further out you get the more garbled it sounds due to wave distance distortion
The "distortion" in those old recordings is mostly caused by the limited technology when they were made, not the propagation distance. The propagation distance mainly affects the signal strength per unit area.

There's also some wavelength dispersion effects, but those are secondary. (At least in these particular examples.)

Cool website, either way.

W

Wraithious

@chance Yes, definatly agree with the technology aspect, and the dispersion effects, also there's most likely other forces at work there like graity waves and possibly the massive amounts of different types of radiation beyond our solar system. Like @roytheshort said it starts to get really noticable from 24 years and further on It's very interesting and something I want to study further, now I'm wonderi g if some of these 'radio bursts' that seti and others have seen auch as the WOW signal may actually be some sort of reflections of our own transmissions that .ay have been reflected back to us for fleeting moments.
@Ninety I had forgotten about that movie! I'll be rewatching it now to refresh my memory on that.

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
... it starts to get really noticable from 24 years and further on (snip)
(I believe Roy was joking about the music quality).

Either way... far as I can tell from that website, those songs have not been distorted to simulate long propagation though interstellar space. So any difference you're hearing is just the quality of the original recording -- and maybe some static added.

But those space effects are real, and definitely affect signals that aliens might hear from Earth. Of course, it depends on their line-of-sight. Signals traveling through near-perfect vacuum wouldn't be distorted much. But signals traveling through long regions of ionized gas would get very distorted. It all depends on the space between us and them. So it's not the same for all alien "listeners".

Turns out, SETI researchers actually spend lots of effort trying to understand how alien broadcasts might sound to us, after propagating through different space environments. The effects (per length) are tiny, but the path lengths may be thousands of light years. So tiny effects add up.

W

Wraithious

But those space effects are real, and definitely affect signals that aliens might hear from Earth. Of course, it depends on their line-of-sight.
Yes most definatly, and speaking of line of sight the wow signal
Wow_signal.jpg
Came from a dwarf galaxy in the Sagittarius constellation which is 70,000 lightyears away, so if it was a broadcast of some sort it makes sense at that distance that there would be plenty of things in our line of sight to have made the signal so obscure and mysterious, there probably is too many things in the way actually, and by pure luck back in 1977 possibly there was a 70 minute window of minimal obstruction allowing it to reach us, space is fascinating to me.

Last edited by a moderator: