The Landscaper - Platformer | Windows Demo Now Available

G

GM029

Download a demo on my itch.io page.

I thought I'd start an in-progress thread about a game I've been working on. Initially this just started as a 'get to know' GameMaker kind of project but I've really been enjoying working on it so I'm trying to build it into a full game.

This is a simple platformer where you're tasked with changing all of the tiles from one form into another by walking on them. Change all of the tiles and you'll advance to the next level. In the case of the seven levels I have completed you're changing dirt tiles into grass tiles as seen in the screenshots.

The trick is to figure out how to optimally complete each level in the least amount of time which will earn you more points. Each level will have its own high score. Right now the controls are very simple, arrow keys to move and space to jump.

For better or worse I've decided to build the entire game myself from coding to graphics to the music and sound effects. The graphics are simple and colorful, that's what I'm going with for the aesthetic since I am not good at drawing (but learning!). I draw everything on my Surface Pro 6 with the MS Pen.

The first screenshots I will share are of level 1, first the initial prototype then where the game currently stands today. I'll later share some more screenshots and maybe video of some of the more advanced mechanics of the later levels. The dogs in the new screenshot are still my original pixel art unanimated versions, I'll be creating animated hand drawn versions soon. I also hope to have a demo version out in the next few weeks for people to try.

Prototype:

Current state:

Last edited by a moderator:
G

GM029

Just a small update,

I've made good progress on the game over the last few weeks. I've added more frames of animation to the main character, two more levels, water you can swim in, the ability to play as a bird (more animals/vehicles in the works), moving platforms that will wait for you to step on them before moving, improved the music and have decided on the overall structure of the game.

My goal is this:

Four sets of twenty levels that represent each season, including major holidays (on certain levels, for instance I have the beginnings of a fireworks display for my summer levels) plus a few bonus levels.

I'm aiming to have some sort of demo linked to by this weekend.

Last edited by a moderator:
G

GM029

This weekend I completed full XBox One controller support for two characters, transition screens and my twin stick shooter mini game.

This looks like a fun little idea, ganepad supportis a nice plus. Good luck with the rest of your development, seems like you have a clear goal to work towards which is great.

G

GM029

This looks like a fun little idea, ganepad supportis a nice plus. Good luck with the rest of your development, seems like you have a clear goal to work towards which is great.
Thanks! I'm trying to keep it somewhat simple so I can actually complete it.

G

GM029

I like the concept. Makes sense, relatable and quirky.

A video might help demonstrate what’s going on.

Fun project.
Very true! I really need to make a video and a downloadable demo. Of course there is always just that one more thing I can tweek to make it just a little better beforehand... I need to drop that and just get something out!

G

GM029

A few more ideas I have for play mechanics outside of the basic landscaping, mostly adding these here so I won't forget them:

In the winter levels a top down snowball fight Smash TV style that would play like a twin stick shooter (I already have a twin stick shooter built that you can play on an arcade machine in your home village which I could re-use for this).
In the winter levels Santa outsources gift delivery to your village to you and provides you with a reindeer team. You have to throw gifts into chimneys as you fly over.
In the summer levels a Jet Ski race. I suppose this could be 2d side scrolling OR overhead (sort of like River Raid style).
In the fall levels a level where you run around and light up jack o' lanterns for Halloween, avoiding ghosts and other Halloween stuff of course.

G

GM029

It has been a while since I last posted but I have made more progress on my game. I've been playing around with different play mechanics and have created some new music tracks.

I created a jetski mechinc, I think I'm def going to use this one further. I worked out acceleration/deceleration with it and will create bigger levels around it.

New checkpoint system

Riding the wind, updraft mechanic.

Having a great time putting this game together. Hopefully I will actually get around to creating a demo build of the game soon.

G

GM029

I'm working on your home village where you can just chill and not landscape.

I want to represent major holidays of each season. I'm messing around with a fireworks display.

The arcade here is a building you can enter and I have two working arcade games so far.

G

GM029

Demo is finally up for Windows!

Here is my itch.io page. The project is still a little rough and things still have a long way to go.

G

GM029

Added a true title screen and the ability to switch between arrow and WASD control configurations, new demo build coming later today.

G

GM029

New demo on itch.io

Just a few small updates:

Added a proper title screen rather than starting the game directly after the intro.

Ability to choose between arrows + space or WASD + Enter control schemes (XBox compatible controllers work too).

Ability to pause the game by pressing Esc during gameplay.

Still needs title screen music.

G

GM029

I'm still working on the game, dev slowed down in the Summer due to being busy with other things. I'm currently working on assets for my Autumn levels.

G

GM029

I'll hopefully have a video this weekend. I'm building the game on a Surface Pro 6 i5. It runs Gamemaker and the game beautifully but when I try to record with OBS Studio the video comes out really choppy. I'm going to try to run the .exe on another computer and record there, hopefully I can get a smooth video.