Windows "The Knights Tale" an Adventure Platformer/Metroidvania

D

Deanaro

Thank you! I appreciate the feedback. What exactly bothers you about the color scheme?
the color scheme is good, what I was talking about was that the shading and highlights are the same hue with only the brightness changed.
try shifting darker colors into a colder blue hue and bright colors into hotter yellow/ red and see if you like it or not :3

EDIT:
heres an example
https://i.imgur.com/4Isnn2S.png

ReidDC

Quick little update here, just got the attack animations where I want them. Basically what
you see in the gif is the attack animation while moving forward. There's a separate one for
standing still as well.
bandicam 2018-02-05 11-32-53-801.gif

Another little side addition is there's an actual "Inventory" for gold now, each type of currency "aka gems and gold coins" has they're own
value that adds to your bag, making it bigger and smaller depending on how much you have
or don't.
bandicam 2018-02-05 11-57-11-863.gif

Anyways, that's it for now, hope to have more to show soon, cheers!

ReidDC

Hey guys, so I've been working on adding a dialogue system into the game, for interacting
with characters, examining stuff ect. Its done other then having the avatars pop up next to the
text, which I'll add hopefully in the near future. Anyways, that's all for now, hope to have more to show soon, cheers! :)

bandicam 2018-03-11 12-38-05-757.jpg

N

nlolotte

Been following this for a while and it looks like you've made a lot of progress. Your game is looking good! I hope you have a demo soon.

G

Gabe the Dead Fish

Nice! Though you might want to change the game's title. "The Knight" seems a bit plain.

Kyon

Been scrolling through this topic, you really made a lot of progress, glad to see that. Reminds me a lot of my first project. Keep it up man! Love the artstyle/animations!

ReidDC

Why does my stuff always look like a dogs dinner when compared to everyone elses???
Don't put yourself down man! It takes a bit of practice to make a game look fancy, but more then anything it takes time and patience. Lots and LOTS of tweaking and redoing involved as well. :eek:

Reactions: Rob

Rob

Don't put yourself down man! It takes a bit of practice to make a game look fancy, but more then anything it takes time and patience. Lots and LOTS of tweaking and redoing involved as well. :eek:
Thanks - I kinda get bored doing pixel art though and I seem to be forever re-doing my sprites and it makes me feel like my game is going nowhere. I try and focus on the coding because of that lol

ReidDC

Hey guys, I'm sorry to say I'm putting the knight on hold. I was new to programming and game development, and the projects length and scope took its toll after a while. Mainly in the programming department. Now, this dosnt mean I'm quiting development entirely, it'll be slowed down a lot, and nothing new will come out regarding the game for a while.

Although this project is put off, I've learned a ton about game maker and game development in general and am using that to create a new game that is far smaller in scope, but able to get finished.

Anyways take care guys, see ya soon.

Cheers.

ReidDC

I'm finally working on this project again! Rewrote a bunch of code and stuff, touched up some old sprites etc. still got a long way to go though. :confused: Here's some pictures of the game!

bandicam 2019-08-31 08-16-05-594.jpg
bandicam 2019-08-31 08-12-12-435.jpg

Last edited:
C

Crask

It has a little bit of Amiga's Moonstone vibe and I like it a lot!

C

Crask

hahaha!! Thanks! funny you should say that, I actually took allot off inspiration of the knights design in that game.
I was Amiga maniac back then so the graphics and music are engraved into my brain xD

It's always fun checking on your updates. You've got some fun looking footage. I see its set in the mountains, and the green grass on grey rock bothers me. :)

ReidDC

Small update, but an important one. The old tiles have been replaced with these nicer, more natural looking ones. If you guys have any suggestions to make them look even better, let me know!

newtiles.png

M

mamacato

Your art is great! Right up my alley. What's the idea behind him dragging the sword like that? I find the title to be a bit on the uninteresting side. Any thoughts on that yourself?

ReidDC

Your art is great! Right up my alley. What's the idea behind him dragging the sword like that? I find the title to be a bit on the uninteresting side. Any thoughts on that yourself?
Thanks for the feedback!
So, since its not a full blown RPG "more of a metroidvania" your character only uses one sword, but if you pick up magical upgrades it
effects the sword, kinda like how old 2D shoot em ups let you collect alternate fire modes. Also yes the title is a placeholder. So no worries, it'll change. :)