Windows "The Knights Tale" an Adventure Platformer/Metroidvania

ReidDC

Title.png

A 2D, Platform, adventure game I've been making called "The Knight".

The main Protagonist "Rowen" is an outcast knight looking to redeem himself. His quest is to hunt down and destroy the Evil Sorcerer known as"Harzix". Then and only then will he be able too regain his honor as a Knight once again.

Last edited:
K

KaiXtr

The game is getting amazing!:eek:
but I think you could change the background color...maybe a darker color, I don't know...

E

EqualiteGem

The graphics looks pretty good especially the cobblestone rocks. Goodluck on your game!

D

Deleted member 16767

I do this kind of art myself. It looks simplistic, but with this style one can make plenty of animations and decorations to the game.

D

DyingSilence

I'm really curious what's your idea for the game's mechanics. I hope you realize they may make or break them!

ReidDC

The graphics looks pretty good especially the cobblestone rocks. Goodluck on your game!
thanks a ton! and the Cobble stone rocks I'm particularly fond of. :)

I do this kind of art myself. It looks simplistic, but with this style one can make plenty of animations and decorations to the game.
You got it! I really wanted smooth animations and lots of unique level design with plenty of detail. So far so good.

I'm really curious what's your idea for the game's mechanics. I hope you realize they may make or break them!
Its a platformer, So smooth side scrolling action mixed with some jump and run elements. The combat is what I'm currently working on, and the design is kinda still a WIP. But it is coming along.

Last edited by a moderator:

ReidDC

A new screenshot from the game. I've been working on backgrounds for the last few days and am really happy with how they're turning out. Still a Wip but getting really close to being finished. :D

The image is of Knight Rowen making his way to the village of Weatherdale.

Screenshot - 6_26_2017 , 11_18_07 PM.png

Last edited:
E

EqualiteGem

I'm not sure about the mountains. They seem to start high and then go really low along with some unusual curves. But all the colors (mountains,cobblestones, knight) is done well :p.

ReidDC

I'm not sure about the mountains. They seem to start high and then go really low along with some unusual curves. But all the colors (mountains,cobblestones, knight) is done well :p.
I got ya, I was thinking the same actually, but had decided too leave the mountains as they where. I'll add some more height too them since you mentioned it. Thanks for the feed back. :)

J

Jamblefoot

Digging the animations. I especially like that undead knight. Really curious to see how the game plays. Thanks for sharing.

ReidDC

Digging the animations. I especially like that undead knight. Really curious to see how the game plays. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks! The undead knight was a fun one.
And I'll hopfully get a video or small demo out sooner then later so you guys can either see or play it. :rolleyes:

ReidDC

An update on the "Knight" . I don't really want to show off too many bosses or mini bosses , But I thought I'd give an exception since this is the first Big boss in the game and will most likely appear in a demo.

His names Goll, he's a corrupted ancient tree who was once a good Tree and protector over the Mystical Forest, but was defeated by the evil sorcerer and forced too do his twisted bidding.

bandicam 2017-08-06 22-16-47-956.gif

Last edited:

Rivo

True! Don't just think 'oh, yeah. It's my first game i just gotta sh*t some crap out and call it a day' Enjoy the process and don't invest more into it than you think you should. That's how I feel anyway...

ReidDC

Welcome to the Laboratory, run by Korithias the Wizard and His pet cat Kall. The wizard serves as the main quest giver, and a way to buy health potions and magic scrolls.
Kall is just going too serve as a smart mouthed, chill cat who runs errands.

bandicam 2017-08-25 12-46-40-441.jpg

Last edited:

ReidDC

i do dig those weird mountains. not everything has to be 'accurate' especially in a fantasy game.
Haha! glad you do. Took me a while to make them. They haven't changed since then really, I did raised them up a bit too give them more height. But they still look the same.

duuude the animations/sprites are great! especially that big ogre dude even though I haven't seen him in motion yet. It definitely seems like you are putting your heart into it which is awesome. One thing though, and I might be a huge a-hole for this, I'm a grammar/spelling nazi. Too is used when including something like "oh you liked the wizards laboratory?! ME TOO!" or if theres TOO much. To is like a destination/designation thing. To: Harry. From: Sally. "To whom it may concern," gawwwr sorry man but I really like what you got going on with your game and I just wanted to share some insight because I'm a stickler for that stuff. Keep trucking on your game man I can't wait to play it!

Geoff Jones

Looks great so far. I've noticed the colour palettes seem a little drab though. Especially for things like the orc/goblin skin. It just looks like 3 different brightness levels of the same colour. Try adding a touch of warmth to the highlights and some "coolth" to the shadows.

ReidDC

duuude the animations/sprites are great! especially that big ogre dude even though I haven't seen him in motion yet. It definitely seems like you are putting your heart into it which is awesome. One thing though, and I might be a huge a-hole for this, I'm a grammar/spelling nazi. Too is used when including something like "oh you liked the wizards laboratory?! ME TOO!" or if theres TOO much. To is like a destination/designation thing. To: Harry. From: Sally. "To whom it may concern," gawwwr sorry man but I really like what you got going on with your game and I just wanted to share some insight because I'm a stickler for that stuff. Keep trucking on your game man I can't wait to play it!
Hahaha! No prob, I'm not the best when it comes to grammer. And for the sake of proffesinality I'll try and get it right. :D

Also I think I'll post a gif of the Ogre in motion for you guys. I'll admit he was a fun one.

Last edited:

ReidDC

Looks great so far. I've noticed the colour palettes seem a little drab though. Especially for things like the orc/goblin skin. It just looks like 3 different brightness levels of the same colour. Try adding a touch of warmth to the highlights and some "coolth" to the shadows.
Thanks! I'll try out the color idea. To be honest I'm kinda still developing the color scheme a tad. And insight on that is good. So thank you.

Last edited:
S

Stevi60

Really Cool project you got there buddy! :D
By the way, like you're doing pretty small characters, isn't it better to make the view smaller? Just a suggestion.

ReidDC

Really Cool project you got there buddy! :D
By the way, like you're doing pretty small characters, isn't it better to make the view smaller? Just a suggestion.
Thank you! and yeah, actually the game is being possibly changed as far as the arts concerned, which will change the view size.

Last edited:

pixeltroid

looks really good! nice sprites, character art, tiles and background design.

Just one thing... the stones in the bridge and laboratory, look a little off. Its a little roughly drawn compared to the excellent looking rock tiles in your latest screenshot.

I love platformers, and I will follow your project!

ReidDC

looks really good! nice sprites, character art, tiles and background design.

Just one thing... the stones in the bridge and laboratory, look a little off. Its a little roughly drawn compared to the excellent looking rock tiles in your latest screenshot.

I love platformers, and I will follow your project!
Hey, thanks it means allot! Currently the art is still being worked on so the rough edges will hopfully be worked out. Also I take any info I can get so I'll work on making the rocks a bit less sketchy like you pointed out.

ReidDC

Here is a small update on the game, the ability to collect items is now in!
Although there isn't an inventory system yet it still works for the purpose of
showing you guys!

ps.

the picture shows some of the items you can collect currently in the game.

bandicam 2017-12-31 13-45-36-056.gif
bandicam 2017-12-31 13-52-40-347.jpg

D

Deanaro

I like the art man, I would love to see some hue shifts though I think it will bring the quality up a notch!
Keep it up :)