GMC Jam Discussion The Humble GMC Jam #2 Discussion Thread

What theme would you like for the GMC Jam #2?

• DECONSTRUCTION

Votes: 32 35.6%
  • YOU ARE NOT THE HERO

Votes: 43 47.8%
  • POINT OF NO RETURN

Votes: 15 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lemth

Wouldn't basically everyone still have the theme You Are Not The Hero then? :D
i think he meant that you should remake the game in your own style
If you think it's not fair for the 1st, what about the last one who get to use mine as model (^^ my game is unplayable)

It depends what you mean by "similar".
- recreate the perfect clone.
- or inspire a remake using the general idea and graphic style
- or kinda make a sequel
Yes to most of these ;)

Just like how there is some 'room' to wiggle around with any theme for any jam you have the same here:
  • The game above me is about forces of good and evil in space; so I would create a game that has anything to do with space, or one of the two forces; or just do something with 3D (which is what really makes this game stand out!)
  • @sylvain_l , the person below you could create a game that has something to do with computer chips, or perhaps the switching of colors, or simply a puzzle game.
  • It doesn't have to be the exact same theme, for example; if someone where to use the winning game 'Coincide' by @The M , then they could create a game that is a 2D platform puzzler, or make a game where you're in the shoes of the 'hero' of the game and fight of both skeletons and a greedy thief, perhaps you could play the evil guys and build a fort to defend yourself from the 'hero', or make something totally different and just take the 'medieval' scenery as inspiration to make a game.
  • All the above ideas from @sylvain_l are completely valid options too! I would love to see a sequel for some of the games; or seeing how close someone can get a game to function just like someone else's.

Z

zircher

Side note, if you were inclined to do so, I would gladly throw resources at you if you want to re-use images, sounds, etc.

For 1st place and new contestants, they would just have to pick or roll randomly.

The one possible down side might be those folks that plan to expand their game entry and might want some exclusivity (such that it is or isn't already.)

L

Lemth

Side note, if you were inclined to do so, I would gladly throw resources at you if you want to re-use images, sounds, etc.

For 1st place and new contestants, they would just have to pick or roll randomly.

The one possible down side might be those folks that plan to expand their game entry and might want some exclusivity (such that it is or isn't already.)
Thanks for the generous offer!

I do agree with you that people might not want others to copy (or make a sequel on) their game.
That matched with what Jackal said:

I think what might be more interesting/fun is everyone gets a game name assigned to them by this lovely old website. But that might require too much organising.
Probably a better idea to make it more random; since that is less intrusive for others.
I like the website you linked. Boardgamizer is also a website that can spit out some random restrictions.

Would you rather have a jam based around everyone receiving random names for their games or random mechanics/themes? (or both...?)

I feel that generating a name makes it more open to interpretation and gives greater freedom, whereas that boardgamizer looks like it could be too restrictive.

TehPilot

Personally, I like to see the different interpretations of the theme people tackle. Having to differentiate yourself among a sea of potentially similar entries is a challenge I enjoy in game jams. Some of the random generators are a bit restrictive, and if everyone has their own theme given randomly it's roughly equivalent to having no theme for the final output. Random name is interesting. I tend to make the game before the name occurs to me, that would likely throw me for a loop.

I do think a jam based around remaking / serializing other game jam entries would be awesome, though. Considering there is a massive pool of older GMC Jam entries from the old GMC, there's plenty of options to choose from. Some long-time entrants have distinct styles; seeing those applied to other ideas can make for some very neat creations.

Also hey, fourth place not bad. Higher than I expected when I submitted the game initially. I put up a dedicated thread just like last time if anyone wants to see the changes I mentioned in post #761. Short postmortem: isometric was fun, but good lord did I write the noodliest of spaghetti code. Unfamiliarity and a time crunch makes a mess.

I used to make MSpaint pictures based on some of the results I got, that was a lot of fun, just now I got "Red Hot Unicycle Girl".
I like to imagine we'd get some pretty wacky games.

M

Miner7365

Was thinking this last night:

What about a game jam where your theme is "the game ranked above you in your last game jam"?
For instance; I placed 35th in the GMC jam #2. This would mean that the theme of my game will be similar to the 34th placing game in the GMC jam #2.

There are problems however when it comes to 1st places and new contestants. But could be interesting for those that are hungry for more after this jam and need something to do between say Christmas and New Year?
Uh, couldn't the first placer just have to base it off of the last place's game, so there is no issue with that...

EDIT: Just realized, that if we were going to actully going to do this, i would have to remake the game that i said...
a8e9e214cf96457ae2a1fa4d13d107b9.png
So yeah.... i guess karma does exist.

Last edited by a moderator:

sylvain_l

Would you rather have a jam based around everyone receiving random names for their games or random mechanics/themes? (or both...?)

Profane Sniper - Episode 1

+

Board Game Design Idea Generator

Mechanics

Economy Management

Theme

Boats
River
Egyptian Mythology

Victory

Most Reputation Points

Constraint

Must be engaging

... constraint is really hard​

makas

I definitely vote for random name generated idea jam... somebody should run the random page and then assing the theme to the player who showed the interest of entering the jam, I think that would totally be awesome! and we will get some very weird and fun games... :D

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
I guess someone could start something like that? That wouldn't be a part of the official GMC Jam, but I guess it could work as a stand-alone challenge (like the One Script Game challenge from before). If someone feels like organising it, feel free to go ahead (though keep in mind there will be Ludum Dare soon, and the next Jam at the end of January, so you need to choose the time well).

L

Lemth

I guess someone could start something like that? That wouldn't be a part of the official GMC Jam, but I guess it could work as a stand-alone challenge (like the One Script Game challenge from before). If someone feels like organising it, feel free to go ahead (though keep in mind there will be Ludum Dare soon, and the next Jam at the end of January, so you need to choose the time well).
Yeah was actually thinking of starting it up. Good call on the LD37.

Will aim this just before the end of the year. But it really depends on how busy it is at work during that period; so no promises just yet; but I should be able to make a timely post about it when I continue this.

Just not too sure about focusing it on a random name per entrant; or having people make sequels to specific, selected, or random games from previous GMC jams...

M

Mocgames998

The theme of the jam should be chosen from randomized words put into a sentence. If the generated theme makes no sense, then just do it again.

Z

zircher

I'd still like to stick with the tradition of the top three winners nominating themes and they get voted on. Now, if one of those themes is random prompts from a certain site or use the game from GMC #1 and GMC #2 as seed, I'd be all for that.

HayManMarc

@dadio....@42nd place...

Prelude
Miss his grey, damn lame-guy patio
This is a jam game by dadio

-------

"Not The Greebly"
by HayManMarc

A game was made
perhaps somewhat feebly
A half-baked arcade
called "Not The Greebly"

For da poor jammer sap
in low def pixel rez
"What iz dis crap?"
da gmc guy sez

Level 1 gets the boot
so then the green greebly
dons a super suit
ever so plebe-ly

He won't be a zero
so he dives through a window
but he's still not the hero
this aint your nintendo

My dignity descends
and I feel so dweebly
when the game just ends
fffff...! I'm Not The Greebly

Last edited:

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Sorry for making a platformer again, btw... I'm so accustomized to do it I didn't really reflect on it when I started implementing my idea. I promise I'll try out some other genre next Jam x3

Also, all entrants that want their tilesets, don't forget to PM me before the next jam~

11clock

Hey guys, I know I am very late but I will be starting my entry for this jam in 30 minutes. I will be following all the rules, just with a different starting time. I haven't joined a jam in a long time so I hope this makes up for it. I will link the game once the 3 day cycle is over.

M

Miner7365

Hey guys, I know I am very late but I will be starting my entry for this jam in 30 minutes. I will be following all the rules, just with a different starting time. I haven't joined a jam in a long time so I hope this makes up for it. I will link the game once the 3 day cycle is over.
I swear someone did this last jam.... oh well, good luck I guess.

Micah_DS

Hey, so uhh... No cool banners for participants this time?
Yeah, I guess not. I sent a message to @Alice a long time ago, requesting a banner, since that's what Alice said we should do if we wanted one sooner than "sometime later". She's probably been busy and I know she was having some kind of trouble with her computer/laptop and I'm not sure what happened with that, but hope it's all good now. I'm a bit sad, as it looks like there won't be any additional banners this time around and I was really looking forward to having a personalized banner, but I can certainly understand if it never happens. Alice has done a lot already and I'm quite thankful, regardless. ...ofc I'm still saddened

L

Lemth

Yeah, I guess not. I sent a message to @Alice a long time ago, requesting a banner, since that's what Alice said we should do if we wanted one sooner than "sometime later". She's probably been busy and I know she was having some kind of trouble with her computer/laptop and I'm not sure what happened with that, but hope it's all good now. I'm a bit sad, as it looks like there won't be any additional banners this time around and I was really looking forward to having a personalized banner, but I can certainly understand if it never happens. Alice has done a lot already and I'm quite thankful, regardless. ...ofc I'm still saddened
Perhaps someone else who's creative, has time to spare, and a lot bravery wants to step up and do the personalized banners? I could do theoretically it; but I'm lacking the creative part to produce quality banners... :oops:

I could try and do it, since Alice isn't able to. (I was looking forward to the banners as well :p ) I'll post a template banner here and then if anyone wants me to create a custom one for them, they can PM me! In your PM, it would be nice if you suggested an icon that you think represents your game, because it has been a while and I don't remember what all of them were about anymore. If I think of a unique one, I will still use that one, though.
Here's a sample banner. Went with a skull and crossbones to represent "You are not the hero", couldn't think of much else. The game icon will go on the skull - in my example, it's a green slime. If you like it, I could start making some for people, I just don't want to make a few and have someone else make different ones, and have them not match up.
EDIT: Actually just now seeing that Alice already made a few banners, just not the rest... I'll PM her and ask for the font and then just try and mimic what her existing banners look like.

Last edited:

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
Ah, uh, yes, sorry about that. I've been kinda swamped with things recently, and the Jam-related matters (including banners) kinda went in a background, or whatever. The thing is, recently I have much less free time to begin with, compared to earlier days, and the "YOU ARE NOT THE HERO" theme is kinda too abstract and broad to be easily represented with some common base (skull and crossbones is a reasonable attempt, but quite often the theme was used in non-villainous ways).

The only thing I came up with was representing the non-heroes themselves as icons, but it ended up with them having individual pictures and shapes, which would still need to looks somehow on the GMC background (and any other if possible, too). Generally, it's much more time-consuming than doodling something on a common theme-related canvas. Plus, since it's non-heroes the banners were supposed to be about, I had little liberty in choosing what to draw specifically. That contrasts with previous Jams, when I could choose any object(s) representing the game, and in dire need I could opt for something easy to doodle. This time round, since non-heroes were central, I couldn't get away with that so easily.

I won't mind if shadowspear takes over, in fact, it'd really help since I'm really short on time myself, recently (which is also why I dropped from recent Ludum Dare; that and the fact that I didn't find the theme particularly inspiring).

On the final note, here's an icon for @Ixlegraw's game. Made that one around the first batch, but since Ixlegraw didn't win top 3 nor best-of, I didn't posted it in the results.

11clock

Sorry guys, but I shot myself in the foot by choosing to make this game in GMS2. I ended up working more on GMS2 than working on the actual game, then I felt like I needed to change my coding style in mid-development.

At least I have something to show. Here is what I came up with:

dadio

Potato Overlord
GMC Elder
Looks nice 11clock! Hope you can make the next Jam within the proper timeframe!
(Hope I can too for that matter, got a lot going on around that time, but I'll enter something - hopefully not yet another "joek gaem" lol).

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Hopefully I'll be able to make something that's not a platformer next time :p It's just kinda tempting to stick with a side view for a jam since that means you only need one sprite per character...

C

CoderJoe

So when's the next jam? I remember that there are jams at regular intervals but I couldn't find the post that said when they are... :p

M

Misu

I recommend checking out the GMC Jam subforum for mid January.
Cant wait for then. :)

Z

zircher

If you subscribe to the GMC JAM news feed, you'll get a nice e-mail like this, "Just a friendly reminder that the nearest Jam will start about 4 weeks from now, and will run for 72 hours, between 27th January, 12:00 UTC (Friday noon) to 30th January, 12:00 UTC (Monday noon). Make sure to write it down in your calendar."

Micah_DS

Apparently I'm very excited for the next jam. I keep opening up this topic, even though there are no new replies.. :p

And it looks like my birthday will be during the upcoming jam (January 28th), so that's cool, maybe, I guess. I should make a party game hahaha, jk (party games probably aren't the best for jam games, unfortunately)

L

Lemth

Hyped! Due to work I've been missing out on all the other big jams, so very excited I can at least enter this one!

Status
Not open for further replies.