GMC Jam Discussion The Humble GMC Jam #2 Discussion Thread

What theme would you like for the GMC Jam #2?

• DECONSTRUCTION

Votes: 32 35.6%
  • YOU ARE NOT THE HERO

Votes: 43 47.8%
  • POINT OF NO RETURN

Votes: 15 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zodaris

I just wanted to thank everyone for their reviews on Eric's and my game! (The Point) I wanted to do a few reviews of my own, but for some reason some of the games would delete themselves when I tried to run them. That and I've been busy so I've only played through like half of the ones that didn't delete themselves. Though I did enjoy the games I did play. Coincide was practically a finished game though. @The M , you're an inspiration!

Nallebeorn

@Nallebeorn: My review seems to be missing.
Yup, sorry about that! You're game was one of those I didn't have time to comment on (I had to quit playing it before having time to finish it, and wanted to play a bit more before reviewing... But then that just never happened and I ran out of time ^^"). Don't worry though, you'll get your review today!

TehPilot

Hey everybody! Thank you all for the awesome votes and reviews. I appreciate it immensely.

There's a lot I feel could've been done better in most departments this game, and I've taken the opportunity to listen to the feedback and make the post-Jam version of this one with that in mind.

I've also addressed some of the unfortunate glitches (salesman can be bought from multiple times, causing crashes down the line) and many of the gameplay complaints (frustrating to hit enemies, spike patterns are obnoxious, no way to turn in place on a given space). I also added a couple more useful things; the biggest of which is a highlighting on the HUD compass to indicate which way you're facing at any given time. Subtle, but useful for those who couldn't wrap their head around the isometric movement.

I believe a full postmortem will be due alongside the post-Jam release, but I won't do it until I have made all the adjustments I deem necessary to the game. I'm glad people found the presentation fantastic, but I think there's still room to improve in other categories.

Thanks again!

The M

I'd also like to take a moment to thank everyone. I'm stoked to see that so many of you liked my game! I rarely get to include everything I want in these jams because of the time limit and they often tend to feel incomplete (I guess that's how it is for everyone :)). Coincide was one of the few exceptions that had pretty much all I wanted and I'm glad it shows.

Now, speaking of post-Jam versions, here's Coincide+

It features bug fixes (always those nasty bugs), decorations and a makeshift fast forward option!

Here's a download if you're interested.
And for the source code as well if you'd like to take a look (it's actually surprisingly tidy compared to my usual jam entries).

A

Aura

@TehPilot: The grass looks better, but the castle has turned a bit dull. I liked purple-white combination for the carpets. The castle terrain is extremely unsaturated which makes it lose the charming effect it had earlier. The lava is better, though.

@The M: Does the new version have an option to disable shaders? If it doesn't, please consider adding one. I'm having weird issues with your game due to the monochrome shader.

The M

[USER=610]@The M
: Does the new version have an option to disable shaders? If it doesn't, please consider adding one. I'm having weird issues with your game due to the monochrome shader.[/USER]

Nope but it features another shader as well so that's twice the issue now! (I'll see what I can do...)

Edit: there, I've added an option to disable them. Hopefully it will work now. :)

Last edited:
L

Lemth

@K-BitCRUSH, thanks for the review! In it you mentioned:

K-BitCRUSH said:
I kinda want a list of all the things they say. Some of those lines are pretty hilarious.
Well, the lines are actually a random set of about 10 different sentences that all use 2 or 3 different 'sentence-blocks' which I named:
  • Name (the various names the superheroes can have)
  • Backstory (where this superhero came from)
  • Goal (what the hero is going to do to save the day)
Due to the varying sizes in sentence-blocks it was difficult to balance this in the little time I had to each sentence usually becomes about 100 characters long - which is displayed (spoken by the hero) over 10 seconds.

So, no complete list; can give you the separate lists which the sentences draw from, but those are (even) less funny out of context.

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
The results are out!

Full results

Complete ranking:

Score breakdown spreadsheet

1. Coincide by @The M
  2. Super Princess Simulator 2016 by @Yal
  3. Soundproof Cell by Chequered Ink
  4. A One Hit Point Uprising by @TehPilot, @TheFugue
  5. Heroic by @Ixlegraw
  6. Bungee Man by @ghandpivot
  7. Dungeon Doctor by @Kepons
  8. Super Space Bowls by @JackOatley
  9. Player 2 START! by @GhostlyFeline
  10. Wizard Terrorist by @Yokcos
  11. The Adventures of Ploompert by @DEGLIS
  12. The Point by @Zodaris, Eric Beer
  13. Mutiny of Zorex by @Aviox, Dijaguy
  14. Lab 31 by @johnwo
  15. Alfred by @Snail Man
  16. Glorified Tower by @shadowspear1
  17. Another Castle by @Siolfor the Jackal
  18. Suspiscious City of Wonders by @Alice, @Mercerenies
  19. Commander Invader by @NazGhuL
  20. The Priest by @NicoDT
  21. Cat in Distress by @Nallebeorn
  22. GO! GO! TSUKI-CHAN!: LUNAR ECLIPSE by @Misu
  23. F-ck You Space Time Continuum by @Zerb Games
  24. Dungeon Floor Keeper by @McWolke
  25. Collateral Core by @Adrien Dittrick
  26. Not the Hero by @ChessMasterRiley
  27. Dime Slime Delux! by @Nux
  28. Cranky Frank by @HayManMarc
  29. Bors' Strategy Simulator 2017 by @Mocgames998
  30. You are not the Hero by @Bingdom
  31. Eyesore by @Aura
  32. Spider Tale by @chance
  33. You Are the Level by BionicFrog
  34. Starchaser by @zircher
  35. You Are The Villain by @Lemth
  36. Super! Mummy Bat Batty Bash by @K-BitCRUSH
  37. The Mr. Evils In your Neighbourhood by @makas
  38. Y.O.U.A.R.E.N.O.T.T.H.E.H.E.R.O. by @brainstorm
  39. A Bard's Bard by @Sirham
  40. Jail by @Galladhan
  41. Bank by @Cat, @var
  42. Not The Greebly by @dadio
  43. Purgatory by @Miner7365
  44. Border guard by @ericbomb
  45. Shifty Business by @Kiesenverseist
  46. The best game in the world by @Tango
  47. Doom the GameJam by @sylvain_l
  48. THE HERO! by @RekNepZ
(note: KUKALA has been disqualified, as upon closer inspection it turned out it was made by 5 people, while max. 3 are allowed)

Best-ofs:

Best use of YOU ARE NOT THE HERO: Coincide by @The M, Dungeon Doctor by @Kepons, Super Princess Simulator 2016 by @Yal
Best Concept: Bungee Man by @ghandpivot
Best Presentation: Coincide by @The M
Best Story: Soundproof Cell by Chequered Ink
Best Devlog: Coincide by @The M

Best reviewer: @Misu

Rewards

Signature banners

The top 3 entries as well as best-of winners get a special banner to put in their signature.
The banners for other entries might arrive sometime later, eventually. If you would like a banner sooner, please ask through a conversation.

Other Jam prizes

In addition to getting the special banners, the top 3 entrants and best-of winners will be featured in the Hall of Fame.
Furthermore, the top 3 winners will choose the themes pool for the next Jam.

Community prizes

Please don't forget to check if you aren't eligible for one of community prizes contributed to this Jam's pool, and poke the prize givers if necessary~!
(if you are the one giving away the prize, especially the one for specific entries, please contact those who should receive the prize)

The GMC Jam #2 is officially finished!

Last edited:

ghandpivot

Oh, 6th place. Cheers for all the reviews and positive feedback on Bungee Man. It was an interesting project, I've never really built an engine so well adapted for achievements before, with stored variables for pretty much everything, yet I didn't quite have time to fill the achievement menu with more. There's room for lots of improvements and an actual reason to play except the achievements, but it was still fairly entertaining to make and hopefully play :)

Congrats to all the winners and everybody who managed to enter a game!

M

Misu

Best reviewer for the second time! Sweet! Congrats to everyone for participating in the jam! Till the next time everyone!

PS: reminder from yesterday... your prizes will be handed in next monday. Too busy this week to hand it all for each winner.

Kepons

Lost The Bet
7th place and one of the best use of theme? :eek: Quite unexpected, considering that my game was pretty rough around the edges and had no sound. Thanks to everyone who reviewed my game (be it focusing on the good or bad stuff) and congratulations to all participants.

J

JackOatley

Ooh, I'm really happy with 8th, thanks everyone. I personally wasn't able to give any time to rating and reviewing so apologies for my lack of involvement outside making a game.

makas

Congratulations for everyone, and specially the winners you deserve it :) this was my first game jam, I learned a lot, the next I will be more prepared :)

M

McWolke

23th place is fine for my first game i guess :)
thanks for the reviews guys! i learned a lot for my next game / jam. can't wait for it! :)

Zodaris

Woo 12th!!! I'm moving up! Next jam I'll be in the top 5 just you wait. :D

EDIT: was 15th, but then the votes were fixed and it put my game up to 12th. :D :D

Last edited:

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
Compliments to Alice for another well-organized Jam, and for compiling the results so promptly. And congrats to the winners. Happy to see some of my fav games make the top 10.

I had fun with this Jam. Spent most of my time creating animations. So I felt the reviewers were kind to me, given the paucity of gameplay. Thanks for the comments.

Z

zircher

Due to the way that I'm going to determine the community award that I'm offering, I had to wait for the final rankings. Will review and assign tonight.

L

Lemth

Congratulations to all the participants and an extra hurray! to the winners!

Looking forward to the next jam.

NicoDT

Place 19th, I think it's ok for my first jam. Many reviews mentioned that the dialog was funny, and that was the idea, so I'm satisfied.

See you on next jam!

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
Ohhhhh dear, it seems I've made an error when gathering up the votes; for some reason, I didn't count The M's votes. That causes quite a few shifts along the road (in particular, @GhostlyFeline actually *did* make it to top 10).

...darn, actually, it changes top 3 as well. *stabs herself and misses*

Sorry for the mixup, I will update the spreadsheet promptly. Hopefully there won't be too much disappointment and confusion because of that. >.<

sylvain_l

@Alice
it's me, or there is a bug in the spreadsheet ?! (formula to calculate points is wrong, as it only take max value from the lines and under, not the full column ^^)

Micah_DS

can give you the separate lists which the sentences draw from, but those are (even) less funny out of context.
Nah, that's okay, no need for you to go to the trouble. That's interesting how you randomly generated them though.

-

I'm waiting to give out the Momodora 4 game until the rankings are corrected, but I have it ready and waiting to be gifted. I forgot to mention before that it's also the version with the soundtrack DLC included. ^^

Z

zircher

What the hey, for highest ranking use of 3D (or faking it if there are no 3D entries), I'll work with the winner to create a custom static 3D model that is usable in GMS or convert that model to a sprite sheet if that's their preference.

[Note: I'm a mecha guy. So robots, weapons, fighters, tanks, and starships are my area of expertise.]
http://s265.photobucket.com/user/zircher/portfolio/story
Congrats to #4, A One Hit Point Uprising by @TehPilot, @TheFugue for being the highest ranking attempt at 3D (isometric takes the brass ring this time.) Since there are two developers on this, I'm willing to say that you're both winners. Now, if you don't do 3D at all or if you don't care for my style, this 'prize' can be gifted to others if you think that they could use my help/contribution. No expiration on this prize although I reserve the right to put a few blackout dates (like if I'm in the middle of another game jam ... unless I can be convinced into joining a team.) Fair enough? And once again, congratulations on an excellent project.

Micah_DS

Wait... @Alice, are the rankings already corrected?

I noticed your results post is edited 20 minutes after your post about needing to correct the votes, but you didn't say anything yet about them being fixed, so I just wanted to be sure.

On a different note, I'm already wanting a go at another jam. I'm hoping to get in on a Christmas themed jam. That'd be so fun!

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
@Alice
it's me, or there is a bug in the spreadsheet ?! (formula to calculate points is wrong, as it only take max value from the lines and under, not the full column ^^)
Ah, right, there is a bug, yes. Thanks for spotting; I guess it was easy to miss because most of the time, the max value tends to be around the lower lines rather than higher.

Thankfully, the spreadsheet is generated from the correct ranking, rather than being a basis for the ranking itself, and the actual code used for tallying seems to be correct.
(or at least, the calculated order using corrected formula matches that of final rankings)

@K-BitCRUSH: yes, the results are corrected now.

As for the next Jam, I guess it won't be GMC Jam that would be Christmas themed, since it's set up for January. There might be some Secret Santa event instead, if someone decided to take up this task...

Didn't do too bad for a completely feature-lacking game! I'm glad people at least enjoyed the art and graphics that I put in, it seems like I've got that part down. Now I've just got to remember that this is a "game" jam, not an art showcase :D

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
OMG :D
Didn't expect to get that many votes for my most unfinished jam game so far, but I guess it paid off to focus on the gameplay over all the other (less important) things once I realized I didn't have enough time/energy to complete everything...

The M

Since I've already played 'There was a caveman' (it's a great game by the way) I figured I'd put out the key @aamatniekss gave me here: 4QHXA-5EXLA-XNK9W
Good Luck! :)

Last edited:

11clock

Who remembers this game I made a few jams ago, Disperspective?

I came up with an idea for a sequel to this game that would have actually fit this jam's theme, but I came up with the idea weeks too late, unfortunately.

Would you guys want a sequel to this game? Disperspective 2 would be created outside of jam time and thus be a more elaborate game than Disperspective, although still the equivalent of a Flash game.

Disperspective 2 would focus on expanding on the "flying head" concept beyond what was already established, and apply a brand new spin on the mechanic, one that would transcend the original game to new heights.

The concept for Disperspective 2 I have in mind would blow your minds moreso than the original did, and if well received could become fleshed out into a full-fledged commercial title in the future.

...But if you want a sequel (and possibly full-fledged game afterwards), give me time to finish up one of my current projects.

Reactions: Yal
L

Lemth

Was thinking this last night:

What about a game jam where your theme is "the game ranked above you in your last game jam"?
For instance; I placed 35th in the GMC jam #2. This would mean that the theme of my game will be similar to the 34th placing game in the GMC jam #2.

There are problems however when it comes to 1st places and new contestants. But could be interesting for those that are hungry for more after this jam and need something to do between say Christmas and New Year?

aamatniekss

Was thinking this last night:

What about a game jam where your theme is "the game ranked above you in your last game jam"?
For instance; I placed 35th in the GMC jam #2. This would mean that the theme of my game will be similar to the 34th placing game in the GMC jam #2.

There are problems however when it comes to 1st places and new contestants. But could be interesting for those that are hungry for more after this jam and need something to do between say Christmas and New Year?
Wouldn't basically everyone still have the theme You Are Not The Hero then? :D

sylvain_l

If you think it's not fair for the 1st, what about the last one who get to use mine as model (^^ my game is unplayable)

It depends what you mean by "similar".
- recreate the perfect clone.
- or inspire a remake using the general idea and graphic style
- or kinda make a sequel

Status
Not open for further replies.