GMC Jam Discussion The Humble GMC Jam #2 Discussion Thread

What theme would you like for the GMC Jam #2?

• DECONSTRUCTION

Votes: 32 35.6%
  • YOU ARE NOT THE HERO

Votes: 43 47.8%
  • POINT OF NO RETURN

Votes: 15 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

makas

I am only missing 5 more entries to play and review them... yet I still have not played Dadio's game. The anticipation is coursing through my veins...

ALRIGHT! ALL ENTRIES HAVE BEEN REVIEWED! And I got to play Dadio's game! I am actually surprised about it.

Expect the scores to be up on Thursday everyone! Good luck on the jam!
Misu thank you for your extensive reviews, I just have the need to clarify some things, we have a clear way to show why the "bad guys" (because yes they were 3 bad guys that spawned randomly when you start a new game I would love to see your comentarys about the other characters) started to fight the neighrboors, but we werent able to finish in time, they were supposed to retired from being the bad guys, and with those annoying neighboors they evil within them would arise again, we will finish the game at least to the point of showing what was the actual idea of the game, about that bug in the main menu, yeah I noticed after somebody told me they couldnt click on the menu :(

Micah_DS

In response to @Misu's review of my game:

I just wanted to reply to it, as I'm not sure he is aware of how much time I had available during the game jam:
Next time, be quicker with your entries, dedicate more into it and add as much as possible, otherwise, this is just a microgame for one of those Wario Games.
I put in a total of 16 hours development time because that was literally all the time I had available during the jam, due to work. All resources were created in that 16 hours. To be fair, I could've been a little quicker, had I given up on the camera engine that I got stumped on for a couple hours for no reason (and I don't think anyone noticed the camera anyway), but even though I could have scrapped that for a less smooth camera to save time for other things, I think I did pretty well with the amount of time. I was actually very serious about making it as good as I could with the time I had. All the things you said in your review that I should've added, I could've added if I had what would be equivalent to a second day free during the jam. I could've made levels, music, and even a few enemies with difficulty raising each level. Not to mention I had plans to make houses get destroyed a little differently with a sort of regenerative bar to prevent a certain exploit feature, etc.

Obviously, I'm not expecting - or wanting - anyone to rank my game higher because of the limited time I had. But what I am expecting is a little more understanding with people's expectations and their reviews. I'm a working adult with lots of responsibilities. I'm not a teenager with a weekend to kill (though I really wish I was).

But in any case, I'm still thankful for the review and glad to see someone so dedicated to giving useful feedback to everyone and urging others to do the same.

EDIT: Eh, does this come off as a bit whiny though? Apologies if it does. Maybe I'll shut up on this stuff in the future and just suck it up. After all, in the world of game development, how many of us can say people see our games (and the work that went into them) exactly as we want or expect them to?

Last edited:
I guess no one appreciated my devlog haikus.

In response to @Misu's review of my game:
EDIT: Eh, does this come off as a bit whiny though? Apologies if it does. Maybe I'll shut up on this stuff in the future and just suck it up. After all, in the world of game development, how many of us can say people see our games (and the work that went into them) exactly as we want or expect them to?
It's kind of hard not to take the comments personally, and sometimes you just want to shake someone when it sounds like they don't get how difficult it was to make certain parts of your game. Reading through some of it makes me feel like I should just make something comfortable like a platformer instead of challenging myself because people seem less critical of them. But then I realise that if you're not challenging yourself and stepping out of your comfort zone with your project, then why bother? You didn't really learn anything new.

Sorry for the mini rant, on a more positive note, I have played all the games and I'm just cleaning up my feedback. There were at least a couple of games I hope people decide to continue with and make full versions of.

dadio

Potato Overlord
GMC Elder
Yeah I think it's interesting how different people approach these Jams. Some staying up 3 days using most of the time, some just putting a few hours in, some going with what they know, some experimenting with new things... it's interesting.
Next Jam I think I'll try to make a decent game for a change.
(Boring even myself now with my joek gaems, lol!)

M

Misu

@K-BitCRUSH @makas
When you submit an entry without the original plot included (what you had in mind) people are not gonna know that and they could only do is assume ideas. With my entry, I had in plan to do a more complex ending but did not finished on time. People said stuff like "what am I suppose to do" or "there is nothing much to do here". Tbh, I never say anything back because I understand that I did not put up the right project (idea) that could garantee be finished on time with the amount of free time I had available for the Jam. Right now, my original idea for the ending does not exist... people can not give points to something that never occured or never plot out for real. If it is not in the game, neither added on time, then it does not count. Im sorry. I understand you all had an original goal but that we could not finish on time because of our biggest obstacle ever; real life attendance.

I only worked 16 hours in the jam as well because i lost an entire day with one idea tht did not work out and had to start another new idea. Then my last day 7 hours in total due to work. I did my best. Sometimes, we need to plan out a really good entry that could be garanteed finished on time.

makas

@K-BitCRUSH @makas
When you submit an entry without the original plot included (what you had in mind) people are not gonna know that and they could only do is assume ideas. With my entry, I had in plan to do a more complex ending but did not finished on time. People said stuff like "what am I suppose to do" or "there is nothing much to do here". Tbh, I never say anything back because I understand that I did not put up the right project (idea) that could garantee be finished on time with the amount of free time I had available for the Jam. Right now, my original idea for the ending does not exist... people can not give points to something that never occured or never plot out for real. If it is not in the game, neither added on time, then it does not count. Im sorry. I understand you all had an original goal but that we could not finish on time because of our biggest obstacle ever; real life attendance.

I only worked 16 hours in the jam as well because i lost an entire day with one idea tht did not work out and had to start another new idea. Then my last day 7 hours in total due to work. I did my best. Sometimes, we need to plan out a really good entry that could be garanteed finished on time.
its allright and Im totally agree with you, I just was pointing out why there were not plot at all, not complaining about your review or anything ty

M

Miner7365

Hm... Welp, i guess no one is gonna find the secret i put in my game, oh well....

Reviews are up! Best ofs will have to wait until tomorrow though.
Uh... in your review, you stated the door is invisible..... you tried flashing the flashlight on it, right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Z

zircher

"With 49 entries total, the voting will last for over 13 days until
Sunday, 13th November, 23:59 UTC"

The M

Uh... in your review, you stated the door is invisible..... you tried flashing the flashlight on it, right?
Okay, I just checked it again and saw the door. It seems you just don't have to be near it (as in it doesn't need to be on screen) to enter it.

Last edited:
G

Galladhan

Hi @The M, i've noticed you put SoundProof Cell at first position: may i ask you how did you manage to play it? I mean... i couldn't at all, cause every time i reach the end of the "maze" the ball goes back to the initial position. I ask you this cause i thought it was a bug, but now i have the doubt i missed something (and i'm ready to change my rank, if so). Thank you (and kudos again for your game: it rocks!) :)

The M

I had no bugs or anything when I played it; it just worked. I noticed that some people seem to have had some problems with the game and I saw in @ghandpivot's playthrough that he had a puzzle I don't think I ever saw. Weird.

NAL

Ź• į“€ į“„ į“‚ Ź”
GMC Elder
I ended up doing the puzzles in a really goofy way to cut down on time (otherwise I wouldn't have been able to finish it in time) - it checks the colour of the pixel underneath the ball, and will kill you if it thinks you're on a bright red pixel or "pass" the puzzle if you're on a bright blue one. This was the only way I could do the puzzles REALLY quickly - creating them in Fireworks, importing them into the game, then having the game automatically interpret them.

The downside to this is that I think certain display settings will alter which colour the draw_getpixel function gets back. So yeah, although I didn't know if they would break for some people or not, I threw in the skip puzzle button as a precaution. :p

makas

I was having trouble with that NAL, but the skip button saved me, so I was able to see the rest of the history which I think it was very well presented

Micah_DS

So far I have played all the games (most, in their entirety) at least once, and all games have various notes in the comments, but only 11 games are 'properly' reviewed. I'm not going to post my reviews or ranking until I have it all done though.

That said, one thing I know for sure is that @The M's game is going to rank #1 on my list, and here is my review:
Nailed it. Nailed it so hard. I love almost everything about this. My only gripes are tiny things like the difficult-to-read text.... wait... I think that's my ONLY gripe. Astonishment! O:

Amazing work. Great mechanics, fun little story, delicious crunchy pixels, sparkly things, me getting to take those sparkly things, having the sparkly things, loving the sparklies, etc. - all so good. So good, the sparkly things.

The mechanics are simple enough to get a quick and solid grasp on them. Even though it's relatively simple, the gameplay achieves a very nice amount of depth because of the intelligent level design. You introduce new things as the player progresses, keeping it interesting and presenting more difficult challenges along the way. You also play out the story in a nice way, as the player progresses. There are so many things I'm not touching on here because I'm not so good with reviews, but I just want to say that it's seriously a work of art.

I encourage you to make this into a mobile game and maybe even try to get a little income from it. After expanding on it and changing the text, of course. It's not just a solid jam game attempt, it's a solid game, period.

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Four more days, huh? I'm sorta out of the cold now, but there's a lot of stuff happening and I don't really feel like I'm in shape to review yet. We'll see if things get better in the next 96 hours... but don't count on it.

M

Misu

Alright! The scores are up on my voting post! Congratulations to everyone from participating and working so hard on the jam. Wish you all luck!

Micah_DS

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
3 days of voting left, people~!

...and I still haven't posted my votes, have I...?
(I did complete all games, though, I just need to sort them out)

Zodaris

Ok this is not very related to the current jam, but after the previous jam where I got 2nd place with The Dark Within, I decided to improve the game into a little bigger commercial project.
And so it's just landed on Steam Greenlight, I'd appreciate it if you checked it out :)

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=770836638
Voted! I remember being blown away by how good this looked for a 72 hour project in the last jam. Looking forward to it!

Mercerenies

@Mercerenies Im glad you liked that much my game :) and yeah you can play the other 2 characters, everytime you start the game the character selected is random :)
I actually noticed that earlier today when I was showing your game to my roommate. I just happened to get "Mr. Hair" three times in a row when I played it for the reviewing.

makas

we are thinking in converting the game into a fighting game as someone suggested it was a good idea... :p we needed more time to add more content but it was fun to do nonetheless :)

dadio

Potato Overlord
GMC Elder
Blarg. Apologies to all - I'm just not gonna have time to play through the rest of the games. Wish the vote time ran longer. My current top 3 will have to do. (They are all very cool games, great job everyone!)

Reactions: Yal

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
Oh dear, less than a day left of voting...
...and I still have yet to post my votes...

Micah_DS

All I have left to do is play Lab 31 more thoroughly and write a review for it, then I'll double check that my "best of's" are actually the choices I want, then I'll add a little extra in my reviews of the games I chose as being best at something, just to say a little on why I thought it deserved it. After that, finally gonna post in the voting topic.

Yeah, I was one of the weird people, not reserving a voting spot. :p:D

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Bleh, I'll have to prioritize schoolwork over voting this time, I'm afraid. Gotta get this report finished before 6AM tomorrow, and I'll probably need to catch up on the whole sleeping deal too. ;-;

Micah_DS

My reviews / votes are up, but now it's 6:50 AM and my sleep schedule just slapped me in the face before it jumped out the window....

I put way too much time into reviewing, but it may not even show because it's not really my strong suit, and I don't even know how many of you guys value feedback and/or if I did a good job in giving useful feedback. I kinda feel like I wasted a ton of time and I'm questioning my priorities, but maybe I'm just tired is all. I'm going to sleep.. :confused:

Last edited:

ghandpivot

ghandpivot, watching you play my game was like watching my grandmother use the internet. XD
Yup, totally didn't get it. Quickly drew the conclusion that I wouldn't have to sneak cause I was faster than the enemies and stuck with that for probably too long. Didn't manage to throw the rocks where I wanted either :)

HayManMarc

Apologies all around. I didn't seem to have the time, the will, or the gumption to play/review/vote this time. Life really got in the way. I'll still be able to write a poem for 42nd place (which may not be quite as good as the poem for 41st place - lol @SyntheticStorm9 ).

Hopefully I'll have better luck with my time and energy next jam.

Nallebeorn

Got my last-minute votes up. I should really start finishing these things earlier.... There are a few games which I haven't written comments on yet, but I'll post those tomorrow -- all games have been ranked how I want them.
Anyway -- good job, everybody, there were a lot of excellent games this time!

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
Ah, just for the record: this time, the votes won't be wrapped up as quickly as before, as I'll need to sleep earlish and there are some things I need to get done. Still, I'll aim to get the results done and announced within Monday (UTC timezone).
Also, I won't be closing the voting topic until I'll be nearing the announcement, as tallying the results isn't really that much of an effort with a program to calculate these.

So, you don't need to be overly hasty with your votes, but it's recommended to keep a close watch on the voting topic; once it's closed and you still have results to post, you will need to send them through a conversation or something.

(also, my computer started crashing again recently; I hope it won't get in the way of wrapping up the results too much...)

M

Miner7365

Welp, i'm looking at the votes, and it looks like i'm gonna be around 43th place....

Also, since no one has seemed to found the secret, i guess i'll just give another hint so someone finds in before the jam voting ends, when your at the there is no end to purgatory room, press r.....

M

Misu

Just a heads up, since i am very busy with life, i will hand out the prizes to everyone a week after the jam ends.

Voting done, thanks everyone again for another awesome jam! I love how, with every one of these, I feel like I'm improving in the sense of creating something good within a timeframe. That is a very helpful skill to have. Just you wait, give me a couple more jams and I'll have my games contending for the top rankings! It's great how many amazing games we end up with no matter what, really drives the competitive and light-hearted spirit of it all :)

Micah_DS

I'm now gathering up all the reviews from everyone about my game. I will be performing a deconstruction on them, attempting to learn more about other people's viewpoints and values.
I knew full well that I wouldn't rank in the top when I entered. I told myself, "you are not the hero."
Don't worry, thanks to all your reviews, I will be prepared to make my mistakes into a point of no return.

Expect a better game with more content from me next jam. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.