GMC Jam Discussion The Humble GMC Jam #2 Discussion Thread

What theme would you like for the GMC Jam #2?

• DECONSTRUCTION

Votes: 32 35.6%
  • YOU ARE NOT THE HERO

Votes: 43 47.8%
  • POINT OF NO RETURN

Votes: 15 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Micah_DS

When people think your joke game is serious :bash:
I've played your game (played all of them, actually), and I know it isn't serious, but I honestly felt it was a bit too inappropriate, and this is why it's likely to come in last place on my ranking list as well. I wish I could say this in a nicer, happier way, but the joke is just not in good taste, and I thought you should at least know the reason why I'll be ranking it so low.

L

Lemth

I know it's kinda of weird to ask at the end of the jam but:
Why is that there is no 'Best Gameplay/Mechanics' voting category?
That seems like a major game design aspect we're overlooking...
Same goes for 'Best Music/Audio'
Also, don't the 'Concept' and 'Story' feel a little bit too similar?
You can always make up your own award categories. I did so too.
Both Gameplay/Mechanics and Audio/Music I kind of played under Presentation, but I agree that more categories could be better (also, more winners!) [not me though]

I

Ixlegraw

Heroic by Ixlegraw
This game have a lot of potential I liked the concept a lot, but I think if worked well you can have a very nice game here, I would add the possibility to cast active spells (I dont know if that is possible currently)
But... you CAN cast active spells. You can learn each of your skills already at level 6, 15, and 24.
To cast them:
A for Heal - Heals 80% of Hero's missing health
S for Shockwave - Pushes back enemies around Fairy
D for Enchant - Gives Hero a powerful attack wave for 10 seconds
F for Protect - Hero and Fairy take no damage for 15 seconds

Fairy explained this during her intro text at the beginning of the game...

When people think your joke game is serious :bash:
I know... some reviews were so harsh on your game. To be honest, I found it really funny and refreshing after playing through a lot of games.

Last edited by a moderator:

makas

But... you CAN cast active spells. You can learn each of your skills already at level 6, 15, and 24.
To cast them:
A for Heal - Heals 80% of Hero's missing health
S for Shockwave - Pushes back enemies around Fairy
D for Enchant - Gives Hero a powerful attack wave for 10 seconds
F for Protect - Hero and Fairy take no damage for 15 seconds

Fairy explained this during her intro text at the beginning of the game...
Im sorry I will replay today the game somehow I missed that part also Im still not done with the reviews

Last edited:
M

Misu

I dunno about you all but I simply dont like the way how TheUltimate does reviews. I mean this jam only has 49 entries and yet I dont see how she will limit on doing reviews and rankings still. Last jam I manage to do 81 reviews (all full paragraphs) with good point of views from all aspects. I dont see how 49 could be such a hard work. Unless she haves two jobs and is never at home, perhaps that would make sense. I believe for a great reviewer, it takes hard work and promising to do all. It would be great to see that kind of will from many of us doing reviews.

With the deadline, what's that work out to, like 3-4 games a day? I don't think that's such a big ask, especially given how short some of these games are. I've been taking my time with them starting last night, playing until I finish it, or keep playing until I get bored and I've already only got 10 left to play.

L

Lemth

Since one of the reviewers mentioned that my entry had a graphical glitch in it; is there anyone else that is experiencing the same?
This is about "You Are The Villain" (by Lemth). Anything that doesn't look like a proper duckhunt-ish game is a graphical glitch.

I'm pretty new to most of this and want to gather information and learn from my mistakes and not bake the same glitch into each game!

Ugh, I think I need to go back through some of my reviews, I feel like I'm saying a lot more negative stuff than positive.
What I did was made a simple review outline that went like: how the game played out for me; at least one positive things; at least one point of improvement.
As long as you treat the games that you review equally I think that's more important than being overly positive / only nitpicking.

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
Now then, while I really appreciate that you guys take your time to play and review all entries, and it's what I generally aim for as well, I would be careful with expecting that from every single voter (especially when it comes to writing full reviews, aside from just playing them and maybe writing a brief comment). Sometimes, people just don't have much of a free time, and even when they do, playing and writing detailed Jam reviews simply isn't the first thing they want to spend it on. While I agree with Misu that for a great reviewer it takes some hard work and determination to go through many entries; we should not expect everyone to be great reviewers, either.

Obviously, if I were to choose between someone reviewing in detail every game, and reviewing only a selected few, I'd prefer the former. At the same time, if the other option was for that person to drop reviewing altogether, I'd rather have them review these few games. I guess if someone doesn't feel like reviewing in depth all entries (which I can understand, especially if they get relatively little positive feedback in exchange), they could, given enough time and motivation, play all games and do several reviews by request (as those who do request reviews generally care about feedback enough, or something).

It's like with the Jam. We wouldn't want people dropping out altogether just because they feel they games won't be "good enough" and they have "no chance to win", do we? Similarly, I would rather not have people giving up reviewing because "I don't have time to play all entries as much as I'd like" or something.

I don't think we're expecting full on proper reviews, I mean, most of mine are just brief comments about what I liked and disliked. It only takes a minute to jot down "Hey, I liked how you did that thing, but I thought the other thing could use more work. Good job on the art."

Z

zircher

About a third of the way through, plan to go back and expand on some reviews.

M

Miner7365

Okay... i'm gonna start compiling a list of things i need to change for the 1.1 version i'm gonna release of purgatory, so yeah, i'll get to work on that.

Lock.png

Also, has anybody gotten this screen yet? i'm just curious.

M

Mocgames998

I like how my Anti-Virus software has been having issues with at least half of the games I've been trying to review... No offense obviously, it's just over protection of "uncommon" files.

I

iMilchshake

A Question.. Everyone is writing a comment to each game. I dont have that much time but would like to vote for all games. Is it okay to just leave the most votings without any commentary?

T

TheUltimate

@Misu Hey, sorry you think that. I review in order of request because I still want to contribute where I can. As much as I wanna give everybody a detailed review, 49 games+reviews at 30-60 minutes each takes free time I don't have. I agree a great reviewer would get through all the games, but I'm not seeking to be the best reviewer, I'm just seeking to do something meaningful for a couple people with the free time I do have. That's why you got Best Reviewer last Jam and not me. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Misu

Ok, I totally understand, @TheUltimate . No hard feelings. :)

Btw, gonna start playing and reviewing entries now. If anyone is curious, go check out the link on my voting post to see my google doc.

M

Miner7365

Welp, i'm starting to think i should have just binded the pickup key and read note buttons to shift so the controls were easier... God... why didn't i get someone to playtest it....

M

Misu

I have a total of 16 entries reviewed already. You can all check it out now. Later tonight I will continue to review more. Till then, Im off for a break.

D

DEGLIS

Yo, if literally anyone wants a paragraph (or more) long review of their game added to my review page, PM me.
I've got free time up the @$$.

M

Miner7365

@Misu Hey, sorry you think that. I review in order of request because I still want to contribute where I can. As much as I wanna give everybody a detailed review, 49 games+reviews at 30-60 minutes each takes free time I don't have. I agree a great reviewer would get through all the games, but I'm not seeking to be the best reviewer, I'm just seeking to do something meaningful for a couple people with the free time I do have. That's why you got Best Reviewer last Jam and not me. :)
I mean... i usually, if i do review, give just 1-2 sentences of my thoughts of the game, and if it's in the top 3 on my list, then i do a paragraph sized review of what i liked about the game.

M

Misu

I do paragraph long reviews for all games. If you like, you can check them out now. I did a total of 25 today and will do more tomorrow.

Bingdom

Googledom
I would like to point out, there are a variety of people in my game.
There is just a little bit big of a scoring curve for the next person after the cop.
10 000 points you unlock a militarian
upload_2016-11-4_15-49-57.png
30 000 points you unlock a tank
upload_2016-11-4_15-50-53.png
100 000 points you unlock a helicopter
upload_2016-11-4_15-51-29.png
This is my first jam and I didn't realize that the readme file was important to have the information about the game.

EDIT:
Thank you @Misu for your detailed review. That gave me a few more ideas to improve on the game. I might continue on it for mobile.

Last edited:
I

Ixlegraw

Heroic by Ixlegraw

Navi Simulator 2017
Uhm... can someone please explain ahaha. I searched for Navi Simulator expecting an old game similar to mine but... I only found ships.

Besides that, I actually had time to play all the games this jam so I'll be posting my votes tonight (for the first time :D )

I think they mean Navi from The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. Navi was the little fairy that followed Link around and did a couple of things to assist Link like hover over enemies or objects so you could lock on to them or give you information or clues about enemies, objects or the environment.

M

McWolke

Uhm... can someone please explain ahaha. I searched for Navi Simulator expecting an old game similar to mine but... I only found ships.

Besides that, I actually had time to play all the games this jam so I'll be posting my votes tonight (for the first time :D )
he is reffering to The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time, where the Fairy Navi is helping the Hero. just like in his Game

M

Misu

Gonna start reviewing more entries now. I just hope I get to play Dadio's game today! :)

TehPilot

I'm very grateful for the constructive reviews on my entry so far. It's evident I made a few slipups/poor design decisions with the final product, so I'm definitely considering a more fully fleshed-out post-jam version for this one. I didn't quite do what I wanted to with changing spike positions and combat isn't fully enjoyable against some enemies, so I'll definitely address those two things.

makas

Edit: I just finished all my reviews, with comments, I did some adjustments that I consider are more fair, I also want to say that even some games are in 25 or more position that doesnt mean I didnt like them, It was just to hard to put a list... you can see the comments to see what I liked and what no

Last edited:
M

Misu

I have a total of 39 reviews made already. I am only missing 10 more to complete. You can all check out the reviews I have done so far. I will finish all reviews and have the scores up for next week. Good luck everyone!

dadio

Potato Overlord
GMC Elder
I just wanna say I`m really impressed with the feedback/reviews this time! I had too much going on last Jam to check things out properly, so not sure how this one compares, but wow, this Jam you guys are really giving it your all in giving detailed crits here! Wonderful to see such community spirit!
:)
*hope I can get around to playing/reviewing all the games*

T

theonewhoisodd

Dangit! That's two I've completely forgotten about and missed. One of these days I'll actually remember to participate!

G

Galladhan

Read here, please!
I think i will write it here too, cause i've noticed that someone is playing my jam entry without knowing it's broken.

I'm very sorry for wasting your time, people: the game is far from being finished, but it wasn't intended to run like this. ._.
I closed it in a rush, and i haven't realized i forgot to update some things, so it works only until a certain point. My bad: i shouldn't have taken part in the Jam, considering i was so late (i even forgot to include a readme file, doh). Apologies to everybody: first and last time it happens, promised.

Last edited:

Micah_DS

I should be getting my reviews up in a few days, hopefully. I kind of got swept up in GMS2 in my free time.... oops.

X

xasou

For everyone who me and the rest of the team saw that tries to play our game, we would like to apologize for any errors and crashes as we didn't manage to finish everything we want as intended. That's why our team's programmers used several ready-made stuff from awesome devs like heartbeast! :) Thanks for giving it time and effort to play :D We really appreciate!

We are more than happy how this gamejam worked for us cause our actual aim was to have fun, create something as a team for the first time together and obviously eat donuts :p

So as you can understand... Goal achieved! Onwards to new challenges now, as Im really really looking forward to draw pixel art again for our next challenge since I cannot code(crying in a corner...)

M

Misu

I like to let everyone know something about my game...

1. Read me file does exist. The player did not picked it up for a reason. You can find it in my same jam folder. There are some information you might want to know about it.

2. The space bar is used for attacking. The hero can die, although it is a challenge. Try to avoid getting hurt.

3. If you kill the hero and retry the game, you unlock another path. This continues on until you reach the real ending.

Anymore questions you feel like something is not right, let me know please.

makas

1. Read me file does exist. The player did not picked it up for a reason. You can find it in my same jam folder. There are some information you might want to know about it.

2. The space bar is used for attacking. The hero can die, although it is a challenge. Try to avoid getting hurt.

3. If you kill the hero and retry the game, you unlock another path. This continues on until you reach the real ending.

I may play your game again... and sorry I know how frustrating can be if somebody dont get how to play your game...

NicoDT

I did find about the unlocked path, though it was kind of by luck. I think the concept was great (got #7 in my list)

NicoDT

Speaking of endings, my game has four different fates for the thief depending on how much loot you collect. It's nothing major but another of the stupid little details I just had to add. :)
Multiple endings ftw!
(By the way, you can see all the endings for THE PRIEST below, for those that don't want to replay it 5 times)

Don't heal or do nothing during the first two fights.
Let the hero die, reach -100 hp, and don't try to revive him.
Let hero die, revive him (before reaching -100 hp), and let him die again (this time reach -100 hp).
Defeat the Dark Knight.
Don't use the revive spell during the game. Defeat the Dark Knight, and after Hero's talk, use revive spell.

M

Misu

I am only missing 5 more entries to play and review them... yet I still have not played Dadio's game. The anticipation is coursing through my veins...

ALRIGHT! ALL ENTRIES HAVE BEEN REVIEWED! And I got to play Dadio's game! I am actually surprised about it.

Expect the scores to be up on Thursday everyone! Good luck on the jam!

Last edited:
M

Miner7365

So, if there is one thing to take away from this jam for me, it would probably be to ALWAYS get someone to try out your game before you post it, because two of the issues it had (The bad controls and the "not being scary" thing) could have been fixed within a hour had i known about them... so yeah, i feel i did better then i did last jam, since the game wasn't a bug riddled mess.... but i need to keep this in mind next jam so i don't make a simple mistake that costs me the entire jam....

Aviox

I am only missing 5 more entries to play and review them... yet I still have not played Dadio's game. The anticipation is coursing through my veins...

ALRIGHT! ALL ENTRIES HAVE BEEN REVIEWED! And I got to play Dadio's game! I am actually surprised about it.

Expect the scores to be up on Thursday everyone! Good luck on the jam!
Thanks for your extended reviews, Misu. I imagine everyone appreciates your thoughts.
I did find it interesting that you challenged my use of the theme in Mutiny of Zorex, saying helping the hero is the same as being the hero, but in other games, like The Priest and Heroic, you didn't seem to have any issue with how that fit theming.
*shrug*
Either way, I agree that it would have been nice to include the storyline in the game, had I not run out of time!
Thanks again for your extended thoughts!

NicoDT

Thanks for your extended reviews, Misu. I imagine everyone appreciates your thoughts.
I did find it interesting that you challenged my use of the theme in Mutiny of Zorex, saying helping the hero is the same as being the hero, but in other games, like The Priest and Heroic, you didn't seem to have any issue with how that fit theming.
*shrug*
Either way, I agree that it would have been nice to include the storyline in the game, had I not run out of time!
Thanks again for your extended thoughts!
Well, in The Priest, the priest is only helping the Hero because he was hired, and in 4 out of 5 endings the Hero dies (in three of the endings the Priest gets tired of the Hero's s**t and then he dies :)
1-You don't heal him and get fired
2- You don't even try to revive him if he dies
3- You revive the Dark Knight so he kills the hero /
)

Status
Not open for further replies.