GMC Jam Discussion The Humble GMC Jam #2 Discussion Thread

What theme would you like for the GMC Jam #2?

• DECONSTRUCTION

Votes: 32 35.6%
  • YOU ARE NOT THE HERO

Votes: 43 47.8%
  • POINT OF NO RETURN

Votes: 15 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Wraithious

Yea it is easy, i have all the sprites names and what they are on paper as i created them, gms constantly crashed with weird errors like the one pictured, and the open windows kept loosing their lower frame section and check box so i couldnt click to save it was a 22 hour nightmare that cost me my entry

E

ericbomb

You know I almost said the exact same thing, but deemed it too cruel.
Good to know that other people will say it for me.

L

Lemth

@Miner7365 , can you PM me a non-animated image of the scary thing in your game or explain what the jumpscare is like.
I know it kind of defeats the purpose of the horror, but I'm a giant chicken that gets way too scared when I don't know what I'm facing.
Since I still would like to review your game, just don't want to get nightmares or a heart attack ;_;

M

Miner7365

Yea it is easy, i have all the sprites names and what they are on paper as i created them, gms constantly crashed with weird errors like the one pictured, and the open windows kept loosing their lower frame section and check box so i couldnt click to save it was a 22 hour nightmare that cost me my entry
But i mean.... that involves getting a pencil and ugh....

Lemth: Sure, hang on a sec.

a8a3306eb233f380aafd5dc8929baefd.png
@Lemth There you go lemth, i would have sent it to you, but i have no idea how the messaging/inbox/whatever system in the forum works.

EDIT: Welp, i just played through 30 of the games, i'll do the other 20 tomarrow... or maybe not, depends on how i feel.

Last edited by a moderator:

dadio

Potato Overlord
GMC Elder
I like that the entry count isn't so huge. Means I'll actually play through & review everything in the vote timeframe this time! :) Nice work everybody!

makas

some amazing and unexpected games... I have played 15 so far... you guys are awesome, some of this stuff is amazingly clever and some are very well done... and I envy a lot of the pixel art I want to be able to do something like that some day... so far my favoirite is, Coincide by @The M

C

CoderJoe

Well, as expected, I missed the jam due to homework and applications. There appear to be some really cool games (concepts and graphics!). Hopefully I'll be able to take part next time. Btw when will the next jam be?

M

Misty

I thought the deadline was Midnight like the first jam and not noon. Can someone please move this game to the Games topic because I am trying to shoot for the worst game in the Jam so I can get the life changing reward because I feel my life needs to change on a new track.
http://host-a.net/dl/0/13068655516599
Game is called <REDACTED>

Not trying to upset the win, just trying to get the worst game in the Jam award and I was having password troubles logging in earlier as I had forgot my password as well.

MOD EDIT: The swear filter exists for a reason and using an image to bypass it will simply get you into more trouble.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bingdom

Googledom
I hope my game goes well.
I think gameplay elements are a bit lacking but I think the graphics go nicely with the game.

I've definitely improved since the beginning of the year! :D

Any feedback will be appreciated.

EDIT:
I would like to prove that it's possible to get more than 100 000 points, despite the difficulty. (It probably takes a bit of luck)
upload_2016-11-1_15-3-12.png

EDIT2:
I forgot to mention that you can heal when enemies bounce off each other.

Last edited:

HayManMarc

I just thought I should mention that I fixed some things and completed the game. So, review my game from Alice's zip, but if you want to see the game in a more complete (ish) state, use the download link in my game topic.

Now, to catch up on some important TV programs.... or sleep, whichever comes first. :p

I'm interested in how you guys test out your games and adjust for difficulty.
I think I ended up making mine too easy, if only for fear of making it too difficult. I only had one person test it, she doesn't really play games and she found it a bit difficult. So I didn't want to increase it, just in case.

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
I thought the deadline was Midnight like the first jam and not noon. Can someone please move this game to the Games topic because I am trying to shoot for the worst game in the Jam so I can get the life changing reward because I feel my life needs to change on a new track.
[...]
Not trying to upset the win, just trying to get the worst game in the Jam award and I was having password troubles logging in earlier as I had forgot my password as well.
Uhhhhh, I dunno.
First, it seems you sent your entry after the midnight deadline as well.
Second, it's not like a small post-Jam fix of existing entry, but rather a complete game. Qualifying it now would be way too much of a stretch.
Finally, I doubt that would be the lowest ranking entry, anyway. And even so, getting your game late would give it unfair (dis?)advantage.

Sorry, maybe your life will change some other time. ^^'

sylvain_l

I think I ended up making mine too easy, if only for fear of making it too difficult. I only had one person test it, she doesn't really play games and she found it a bit difficult. So I didn't want to increase it, just in case.
best choice/settings IMHO, customizable difficulty/settings. Some player like and are very good at FPS, but sucks at strategy or another type of game, and other like and are good at hidden object, and struggle at RTS, etc... For hardcore gamer difficulty is more or less a requirement, while for casual gamer they generannally don't like to much to struggle, they prefer some easier rewarding style. .
Every player is too different to catch up all with a standart setting.

Micah_DS

I've been playing through most of the games today, so I've actually played your game already, and I had a rage quit moment. I'm not joking. But I love it. Really great game. Just had trouble getting the right guys distracted with the rocks at a certain point that required two levers to open two doors. I just couldn't get passed that point.

Funny, I've recently been playing the newest Momodora game on 'Insane' mode, yet I had trouble with your game...

TehPilot

Full disclosure: for game jams, I usually don't have playtesting. My general habit is to work with my nose to the grindstone as long as possible on presentation, which means a good deal of levels are usually an afterthought. A few are part of mechanic test rooms that I like and wind up incorporating into the game, and the rest I usually just rely on basic progression rules.

If I have a reasonable test build, I'll occasionally pass it on to a few close friends I'm readily in contact with for feedback on it. More often than not, I work in semi-public settings and have acquaintances comment on appearance/sound - not always gameplay - if they stop by. I should dig up some more reliable testers; I think a good deal of my friends are aware of any design tricks I use and tend to perform better than any given stranger does.

best choice/settings IMHO, customizable difficulty/settings. Some player like and are very good at FPS, but sucks at strategy or another type of game, and other like and are good at hidden object, and struggle at RTS, etc... For hardcore gamer difficulty is more or less a requirement, while for casual gamer they generannally don't like to much to struggle, they prefer some easier rewarding style. .
Every player is too different to catch up all with a standart setting.
Yeah, I thought about difficulty settings but I didn't really have time in the end because I've never made anything with difficulty settings before but I think I'll make it a priority next time.

I've been playing through most of the games today, so I've actually played your game already, and I had a rage quit moment. I'm not joking. But I love it. Really great game. Just had trouble getting the right guys distracted with the rocks at a certain point that required two levers to open two doors. I just couldn't get passed that point.

Funny, I've recently been playing the newest Momodora game on 'Insane' mode, yet I had trouble with your game...
If it's the part I'm thinking of, you might either need to move further to the left, or throw a different direction. I had a lot of trouble getting the noise system working to a level I was happy with. At the moment it just checks which of the guards in range of the noise are the closest to it and triggers just that one. I tried to design the levels around that but it was tricky.

Full disclosure: for game jams, I usually don't have playtesting. My general habit is to work with my nose to the grindstone as long as possible on presentation, which means a good deal of levels are usually an afterthought. A few are part of mechanic test rooms that I like and wind up incorporating into the game, and the rest I usually just rely on basic progression rules.

If I have a reasonable test build, I'll occasionally pass it on to a few close friends I'm readily in contact with for feedback on it. More often than not, I work in semi-public settings and have acquaintances comment on appearance/sound - not always gameplay - if they stop by. I should dig up some more reliable testers; I think a good deal of my friends are aware of any design tricks I use and tend to perform better than any given stranger does.
Yeah, I stopped using certain people I know to test my stuff for the same reason.

makas

for the ones that play our game, you can play with the 3 character the selection is random, you can press T so you restart the room until you get the one you want to play... all of them have their own skills and super powers

M

Miner7365

for the ones that play our game, you can play with the 3 character the selection is random, you can press T so you restart the room until you get the one you want to play... all of them have their own skills and super powers
This may seem like a stupid question... but how do i start your game from the title screen?

E

ericbomb

I second What Miner said, I click on the buttons with the mouse, I click enter, space, ect. and nothing happens.

makas

oh 💩💩💩💩 I think I know what happens... is because if the guilayer :( I forgot to adjust the code with the resolution changes if your screen is not 1920x1080 the click box is not in the same space that the drawed button... sorry about this I forgot about it, the work around for that would be getting out of the full screen click on the button and then comeback to fullscreen... im sorry about that, stupid me

M

Miner7365

oh **** I think I know what happens... is because if the guilayer :( I forgot to adjust the code with the resolution changes if your screen is not 1920x1080 the click box is not in the same space that the drawed button... sorry about this I forgot about it, the work around for that would be getting out of the full screen click on the button and then comeback to fullscreen... im sorry about that, stupid me
Is there any way to get out of fullscreen in your game?

T

Tevin

I don't know why but the games just wont work for me. I can download them but if i try to open it just nothing happens.

ghandpivot

I don't know why but the games just wont work for me. I can download them but if i try to open it just nothing happens.
Your antivirus might be blocking you from starting them. Norton already removed 6 games before I managed to add the folder as an exception.

M

Misty

Uhhhhh, I dunno.
First, it seems you sent your entry after the midnight deadline as well.
Second, it's not like a small post-Jam fix of existing entry, but rather a complete game. Qualifying it now would be way too much of a stretch.
Finally, I doubt that would be the lowest ranking entry, anyway. And even so, getting your game late would give it unfair (dis?)advantage.

Sorry, maybe your life will change some other time. ^^'
Darn it, now my game will not win worst entry and I will never recieve the life-altering prize, sentencing myself to doom and damnation.

Far as the censor mechanic goes, it is not a swear word but part of a name, for instance Assassin is not a swear word but has a swear word in it.

makas

I added some more entrys to my review post also some comments on about 18 entrys, I will definitely do this with all the games for sure

NicoDT

For those who played THE PRIEST and didn't get all 5 endings, you can see them here (endings videos+ explanation how to get them)

ENDINGS
Don't heal or do nothing during the first two fights.
Let the hero die, reach -100 hp, and don't try to revive him.
Let hero die, revive him (before reaching -100 hp), and let him die again (this time reach -100 hp).
Defeat the Dark Knight.
Don't use the revive spell during the game. Defeat the Dark Knight, and after Hero's talk, use revive spell.

Bingdom

Googledom
I'm sad to see that some people got graphical errors on my game. :(

I think might know why;
I'm guessing the game is playable, but once you kill the first guy, the game gets stuck on the intro.
This is due to your screen resolution being too high (I believe).

If that's not the case, can you please pm me a screenshot what the game looks like? ;)

Last edited:

dadio

Potato Overlord
GMC Elder
A real shame to see the ol` Virus Scanner "false positive" thing rearing it`s ugly head again on a few games.
As much as I want to play all the games, I`m not risking adding exceptions on this laptop.
Does anyone know exactly what causes this so we can put a warning in the next Jam for people to avoid doing it?
(I seem to remember that swapping out the default icon sometimes could cause this, but might just be making stuff up?)

Great games so far people!!! :)

D

DEGLIS

A real shame to see the ol` Virus Scanner "false positive" thing rearing it`s ugly head again on a few games.
As much as I want to play all the games, I`m not risking adding exceptions on this laptop.
Does anyone know exactly what causes this so we can put a warning in the next Jam for people to avoid doing it?
(I seem to remember that swapping out the default icon sometimes could cause this, but might just be making stuff up?)

Great games so far people!!! :)
I don't know what causes this issue, but I downloaded and played every single game entered, and not a single one was a virus. If you still don't want to risk it, I get it.

Bingdom

Googledom
I think the single file runnable games get false positives. That's one of the benefits of choosing a zip export, rather than a single .exe file.

Just disable your antivirus until computer restart (You can do that with AVG, not sure about others).

Z

zircher

FYI, if anyone gets a false positive on Starchaser let me know and I'll build a ZIPped version and post a link.

D

DEGLIS

I know it's kinda of weird to ask at the end of the jam but:
Why is that there is no 'Best Gameplay/Mechanics' voting category?
That seems like a major game design aspect we're overlooking...
Same goes for 'Best Music/Audio'
Also, don't the 'Concept' and 'Story' feel a little bit too similar?

Micah_DS

Looks like my game is likely to rank lower-middle.

Maybe next game jam I will try to get work off (and hopefully not lose my job in the process), then maybe I can actually put my best foot forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.