GMC Jam Discussion The Humble GMC Jam #2 Discussion Thread

What theme would you like for the GMC Jam #2?

• DECONSTRUCTION

Votes: 32 35.6%
  • YOU ARE NOT THE HERO

Votes: 43 47.8%
  • POINT OF NO RETURN

Votes: 15 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Z

zircher

What the hey, for highest ranking use of 3D (or faking it if there are no 3D entries), I'll work with the winner to create a custom static 3D model that is usable in GMS or convert that model to a sprite sheet if that's their preference.

[Note: I'm a mecha guy. So robots, weapons, fighters, tanks, and starships are my area of expertise.]
http://s265.photobucket.com/user/zircher/portfolio/story

Last edited by a moderator:

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
Just so you know, there has been an important update in the first post a while ago.

Kind of like that:
- E - - N - - - - - - I - -
- - - - - R - - N - - - - - E - - - - -

(gah, it seems I've been too subtle)

Gonna throw in my standard community prize again for tradition's sake and because it's the easiest way to get inspiration for stuff to draw~
  • Best (=highest ranked) non-platformer game wins a copy of my tileset compilation!
  • Everyone that has a valid entry at the end of the jam wins a custom tileset or sprite sheet! (Tailored for 16x16 grid size, approximately 24 images depending on how complicated stuff you want depicted)
This seems like a hell lot of work 0.o

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
It generally is related to the general Jam mood; thought it might be better to have some sort of "discussion theme" rather than generic superlatives (like "fantastic", "most wonderful" etc.). It can serve as an inspiration for the Jam banners etc. as well.
The previous Jam as well as this one were relatively easy in this regard, as the first happened after the big GMC move over (cue "post-apocalyptic"), whereas the second happened not too long after a massive Humble Bundle. Dunno how it will be with the following Jams, but I guess the discussion themes might be picked more or less at random, then? ^^'

(also, how about more theme guesses? ^^')

M

Misu

Kind of like that:
ERNNIE?

Im sorry but that is not enough reveals to get people hype for guessing. We are 3 days away to the Jam. Its time we get those "spaces" revealed by now

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
Hey now! Wait!
You are not guessing even for more of each!

Which is to say, if I am to reveal more letters, you need to at least try come up with something for what we have got so far. There hasn't been a single guess for the first two themes ever since yesterday's reveal.

You've got to show some effort on your side. Otherwise, what's the point of gradual letter reveal if people will just waited till nearly all characters are known to make their guesses? How would I learn about the wonders of CAPITALIZATION or DAMN POTATO DEMONS if you guys just wait idly for letters, because there's not enough of them?

I lose all the surprise of the themes by knowing them way beforehand. I need some entertainment, too. :<

M

Misu

Im sorry but these letter reveals are not giving us ideas for guesses since we know these are words within each. Its hard to think out how many words are in each. I mean if there was a way to tell a word range possibility within the theme, we would then have bunch of ideas for guesses and be hyped about. If adding another reveal would spoil an entire theme, then I dunno what we could guess from this point with only two more days for theme guessing :/

G

GVmG

Alright so the first thing can't be DECODIFICATION, but it can still be DECONSTRUCTION :D

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
@Misu: Oh-hoh-hoh, you make it sound like the theme guesses are supposed to be feasible, always. The fun part is that, usually, they aren't. ^^'

Somehow, when only one letter has been revealed, you people came up with multitude of ideas, and now you experience a block? Look around the topic, there should be some good inspiration.

@GVmG: Now I'm curious to see how would you make 9 remaining words of 2 other themes... ;)

M

Misu

Alright...... You want guesses?........ I'll give you guesses!...
-E--N------I--
BE INSIDE MINE
SEE NIGHT RISE
RECONNECT TIME
BE INTO ACTION

-----R--N-----E-----
HORROR INSIDE ENTITY
TWO OR ONE MORE ENDS
TERROR AND NO ESCAPE

---N--O---O--E----
STUN TONS OF EAGLE
CLONE ONE OR EIGHT

Z

zircher

Code:
D E F E N D - P A N T I E S 

C I N D E R - A N D - F I R E - L A N D
So, defend your drawers against waves of frat boys from hell?

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
@Misu: now that's more like it. ;)

Code:
D E F E N D - P A N T I E S

C I N D E R - A N D - F I R E - L A N D
So, defend your drawers against waves of frat boys from hell?
Don't forget them DAMN POTATO DEMONS.
(that would make 9 words, but whatever)

Also, have some spaces:
- - - N - - O - _ - O _ - E - - - -

M

McWolke

Code:
R A I N D R O P _ T O _ H E A V E N
...?

Nux

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
I think we can all agree I cracked the code:

- - - N - - O - - - O - - E - - - -

M E _ O N E _ M I L L I O N (th dollar) (perfect)
D O N T _ R U I N _ T H E _ E N D I N G
A L O N E _ O H _ N O _ W E _ D I E

N

Nacky Slocker

Somehow, when only one letter has been revealed, you people came up with multitude of ideas, and now you experience a block? Look around the topic, there should be some good inspiration. ;)
Yeah, but there were a lot of guesses with that one letter (none by me though)... It tires some people out.

Also, I'm assuming you filled in all the Es, Os, Is, Ns, and Rs?

pawnshop to - Okay seriously, I can't come up with a reasonable word that doesn't have an O, I, N, R, or another E.

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
It's PAWNSHOP SO DEADLY duh. Alternately, PAWNSHOP SO LETHAL!

...gah, I wasn't supposed to reveal the theme so early! *whistling*

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
This seems like a hell lot of work 0.o
Sure seems like a lot of work. But I got a total of three requests this time around, which is an all-time low.... especially considering I posted a reminder in the discussion topic because nobody claimed their prize. But I can't complain about getting lots of goodwill for almost zero effort, I guess :p

M

Miner7365

Uh, what about

rainbows no decoys

... IDK.... but it works i guess...

P.S. relized it had already used vowels... but Backlift does work, so i guess....

backlift no decoys

Not that that makes any sense, but who cares?

P.S.S Realized decoys didn't even work, okay fine, what works, uh....

backlift no method

Actully, wait, i forgot about the 7 letter o, uh...

I give up, have fun imagining how each theme maybe would have played out, i just realized method also was wrong along with backlift, so i have nothing.

Last edited by a moderator:

dadio

Potato Overlord
GMC Elder
I was going to mention about the current Theme reveal process... the problem is that since topic opening & now with just a tiny few days to go, we have yet to establish a single word out of those 3 Themes... so it feels like we haven`t made any progress & haven`t eliminated any possibilities... so it`s not really much fun to guess in that situation.
I think it`s really important to include all spaces in all Themes, or at least for space reveals to be done in the first few days of opening the Jam.
Just my 2 cents!
Can`t wait til Jam start!!! :)

M

Matthew Brown

I get to do this game jam and then jump into NaNoWriMo 2 days after it ends. This is going to be a fun month xD

P

ParodyKnaveBob

Fwiw, I get a fair-to-middlin' amount of entertainment out of watching others guess (because so many ridiculous there's-no-way guesses) because it seems like there's mutual understanding this is a sandbox pretend storytime rather than a game of actually trying to guess the theme. After all, with unlimited guesses at one's disposal and no acknowledgement of a correct guess, to actually try just seems like how Nintendo Power described that little random company creating Crash Bandicoot so many years ago: sling enough mud at the wall, and eventually something's bound to stick.

Therefore, to hear ....... critiques of how the "game" is being played ....... to me feels like a bingo gambler critiquing how the caller is or isn't or might or might not give a hint as to the next number before it's called. Like ... really? I thought you knew what you were playing: not an actual game -- unless you count the ability to accurately hear and mark the randomness. Like, Who's Line Is It Anyway is a parody of game shows. It's not actually a game show. $E^ b

Or, as @Alice more succintly put it, isn't the fun part of the pre-Jam guessing the very fact that the guesses aren't supposed to be feasible?

So um, I don't know, keep guessing to your heart's content and enjoy the mutual inanity? ~shrug~ $:^ J

(Obviously, though, since joining in on the guesses has never riveted me enough to do it (disclaiming if I ever did it and forgot), I could be totally missing something that you all "get." Plus, I'm pretty tired and in a pretty "flat" kind of mood. So hey. Heh.)

Fwiw, though, as far as actually trying to puzzle it out:

---N--O- -O -E----

That middle word is most likely TO (although there's a slim chance at DO as well). Furthermore, that leaves seven words to split between the rest:

-E--N------I--
-----R--N-----E-----
Just looking at "law of averages" and all that, it's very likely the .E.N.I. theme is three words and .R.N.E. theme is four, but no guarantee of course. Also, the fact that it hasn't been made clear what gets revealed -- individual character positions vs. all instances of a given letter -- clarifies little to nothing for the cryptographers around here.

Regards, ~nod~
Bob

P

ParodyKnaveBob

$X^ D @zircher

And btw, I'd love it if that first one were DECONSTRUCTION and the second one were six words long! Lol.

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
Just one more thing about theme reveals process: if I don't get enough invalid guesses from you guys, how I'm supposed to tell the themes are sufficiently ambiguous? What if the known characters basically lead to the correct theme, but you guys just haven't picked it up? And upon revealing some more, you *would* pick it up, and there would be no other guesses because the theme would become obvious? In other words, before I get you closer to the solution, you must prove there are at least alternatives. That's a fundamental themes game self-balancing. ^^

Now, then, since you all have been really nice and indeed gave lots of alternatives, some more absurd than the others, enjoy more spaces!
- - - _ - R - _ N - - _ - - E - - - - -

Ninety

YOU ARE NOT ADEQUATE/INSECURE/LITERATE/INTEGRAL/INVESTED/LOVEABLE/MOVEABLE/INCHARGE/AMERICAN

wow i feel great about myself now

edit: GJ crossword solvers

Last edited:

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
@Ninety: don't worry, out of the last words you have, only ADEQUATE and AMERICAN fit, and only one of these two is something to feel bad about not being.

(which is not to say one necessarily needs to feel great about not being AMERICAN, yet I guess some folks still would...)

F

fxokz

@Ninety: don't worry, out of the last words you have, only ADEQUATE and AMERICAN fit, and only one of these two is something to feel bad about not being.

(which is not to say one necessarily needs to feel great about not being AMERICAN, yet I guess some folks still would...)
When do all 3 themes get revealed and also how will the voting process work?

edit: strawpoll?

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
They will be revealed at least 24 hours before the Jam starts, which means there are definitely less than 28 hours till the grand reveal.

I think I will try out forum-integrated poll this time; hopefully there will be no need to switch back to PMing me your choices.

F

fxokz

They will be revealed at least 24 hours before the Jam starts, which means there are definitely less than 28 hours till the grand reveal.

I think I will try out forum-integrated poll this time; hopefully there will be no need to switch back to PMing me your choices.
If the forum integrated poll doesnt work try out http://www.strawpoll.me/ simple yet effective

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
Nonono, we are not using external sites to run the essentials of the Jam. While external sites can be used as additions (e.g. GMC Jam clock), the Jam must be able to function without them (maybe save for uploader sites; that's a dependency pretty hard to get rid of, especially since YYG servers have better things to do than send massive Jam ZIPs).

Plus, by putting the poll on external site, we completely lose control over who is voting there, and have no way of verifying each GMC user votes no more than once. Not that I expect people to specifically vote multiple times, but we still must make sure we can prevent that, and that each voter is a GMC user. Thus, only forum mechanisms can be used for theme voting.

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
Braindead? That would be pretty ADEQUATE, given the Hallowing spirit often surrounding the autumn Jams.

Of course, there's still a chance YOU ARE NOT BREINDED, though.

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
That second theme definitely has to start off with either YOU ARE NOT or YOU ARE NEW. How about YOU ARE NEW CREATED!, assuming any ASCII character is valid. Not gramatically correct, but alas.

Assuming all spaces in themes 2 and 3 have been revealed, the first theme must be 3 words long.
How about DEMON WAS NICE?

And a guess for the third while I'm at it...
RAINDROP TO DESIRE

There were no other matching 8-letter words other than 'raindrop' that were even remotely suitable in the crossword searcher I used, so I kinda suspect the first chunk of theme 3 is actually 2 words.

Status
Not open for further replies.