GMC Jam Discussion The Humble GMC Jam #2 Discussion Thread

What theme would you like for the GMC Jam #2?

• DECONSTRUCTION

Votes: 32 35.6%
  • YOU ARE NOT THE HERO

Votes: 43 47.8%
  • POINT OF NO RETURN

Votes: 15 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

dadio

Potato Overlord
GMC Elder
Mweheheheeeee! I shall enter... some kinda Master Peas... in celebration of my 150th birthday... AND WIN!! Mweheheheee! :D

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
Other two themes have their letter count revealed! Behold!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

It will get less monotonous later on, I swear. ^^'

M

Misu

Possibly those three themes are more than one word so there has to be spaces within them.

M

Miner7365

Welp, i'm back, and i'm ready not to make the mistakes i made last jam...

T

TheFugue

I dunno. Is it? You chose that theme, didn't you? Did you choose A TRAINS THEME? Or maybe was it your evil alter ego @TheFugue? What is the meaning of a jam, anyway? So many questions...
i'm pretty sure the theme I picked was cheeseburger.

i'm fairly sure this was my choice.

i don't know if trains and cheeseburgers can coexist in the same realm.

M

Misu

Ok so here are some of my guesses so far:

First theme:
MONSTER HUNTER
A FARMING GAME
DOUBLE TROUBLE

Second theme:
3RD DIMENSIONAL GAME
MASSIVE MULTIPLAYING
GAME MAKER COMMUNITY

Third theme:
INSANE BULLET HELL
INVERTED PLATFORMS
PERSONAL ROLE PLAY

O

Otyugra

I'm probably going to sit this one out.

Don't you just love stock images?

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
Moar letterz!

- - - - - - - - - - - I - -
- - - - - R - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - N - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Note that I'll not be that generous throughout the entire Jam; from now on, I'll drop the clues with a little smaller intensity. ^^'

O

Otyugra

Why? I thought your last jam game was rad.
I'm really glad you liked it! Unfortunately, I have two games that I've already started that I really want to work on during that time (and as a college student I'm too busy to work on a game for 3 days straight). I might make a tiny game if I like the theme.

Z

zircher

Sure. Check out the first post in this thread for more details.

G

Galladhan

So... @Yal's cat is the Good Witch of the South.
@HayManMarc is the Scarecrow.
Mumble... i got it!

IF-TOTO, A-LION
&&-DOROTHY-MEET-OZMA
THEN-WITCHES-FAINT

PS... Jam Restriction: your game must be in Technicolor!

EDIT:
IF-TOTO, A-LION
&&-DOROTHY-GALE-SING
THEN-WITCHES-DANCE

Last edited:

Micah_DS

So, I got way too into the theme guessing.

14 letter word said:
- - - - - - - - - - - I - -
- AS I LAY DYING (because there's nothing that screams "Halloween" like a dead metal band)
- AMOUNT OF TIME
- ALL OR NOTHING
- APPLE DUMPLING (...I got hungry and it sounded delicious)
- BACK TO BASICS
- BUTTON MASHING
- CAPITALIZATION (capitalization, ho!)
- OVERCAPITALIZE (capitalization, hoooooooooooo!!!!)
- CHAIN REACTION
- CANDY FLIPPING (totally not a forced attempt at a Halloween theme)
- SWORD FIGHTING
- FORCED LANDING (so we can all make Metroid gamesā€¦in 72 hoursā€¦because it worked so well for me last time)
- MENTAL TESTING (Because.. @Alice?)
- SMOOTH DOGFISH
- CHIPMUNK VOICE (ā€¦but this would be a mistake)
- PLAY WITH FIRE (unlike the above, totally never a mistake)
- MULTIPLICATION (I hope it's not this)
- POLITICAL RISK (a.k.a. the US electionsā€¦ā€¦ā€¦.)
- SMEAR CAMPAIGN (*cough cough* *ahem*)
- TORTILLA CHIPS (I remembered I was hungry)
- CHRISTMAS GIFT (oho! SAVAGE. Take that Halloween! Take it! Huu!)
20 letter word said:
- - - - - R - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- YOU ARE WHAT YOU EAT
- YOU ARE MONSTER BAIT
18 letter word said:
- - - N - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- POINT OF NO RETURN
- REINVENT THE WHEEL

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
WOW, THAT'S A LOT OF THEME GUESSES! CAPITALIZATION HO ALL THE WAY!

ALSO, THE FIRST THEME MATCHES AN EXCLAMATION!!!!! I GUESS MARKS QUESTION FIT THERE, TOO?????

Micah_DS

Hmm, yeah, perhaps that was a bit excessive with the capitalized words. I was intending to set the word guesses apart from everything else, but it really does seem a bit much. Apologies.

(EDIT: Ah, nvm, I guess... I misunderstood. Though I still think there might be a better way to post theme guesses, making them a little nicer / easier to read...or maybe it's my overuse of words in parenthesis....)

Last edited:

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
...what? No, I wasn't bothered by the capitalised words, especially since it's how most people post their theme guesses, anyway. ^^'

I just got in the CAPITALIZATION mood, especially with how you included two themes related to that.

(that said, I'd rather not have the CAPITALIZATION joke last for too long; it might be fun to OVERCAPITALIZE when the opportunity arises, but in the long term it can become really annoying)

V

Vaiden

I'm tempted to participate, but I am struggling with the basics still. I have a feeling a full jam would be premature....I don't know.

P

ParodyKnaveBob

Oh hey, no, @Vaiden, that's a great time to join the fray! $:^ J

Last I checked, reviewers tend to be merciful when you make it known it's your first game (or you're still unskilled and trying to learn) even if they numerically rate low for the votes. This is an excellent opportunity to learn on the fly and get constructive feedback from a lot of people.

Regards!
Bob $:^ ]

HayManMarc

Oh hey, no, @Vaiden, that's a great time to join the fray! $:^ J

Last I checked, reviewers tend to be merciful when you make it known it's your first game (or you're still unskilled and trying to learn) even if they numerically rate low for the votes. This is an excellent opportunity to learn on the fly and get constructive feedback from a lot of people.

Regards!
Bob $:^ ]
I agree with this. You can't learn to swim until you get in the water.

N

Nacky Slocker

Do special characters count as one of the dashes ( - ) ? Spaces, symbols, numbers etc.

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
From the previous Jam discussion thread.
Each blank place corresponds to an ASCII printable character (from 32 to 126). For what it's worth, it might be a letter, a digit, a comma, an exclamation mark, some other character... Oh, and a space, too. Aside from that, the theme might or might not be case-sensitive. *whistling*

Or they all might be just a bunch of underscores. That could work too, I guess?

Aside from that, I am not telling whether the theme contains spaces or not. They might or might not be there.
So yes, a single dash might represent a letter, a digit or a special character (as long as it's ASCII printable one). First theme has 14 characters total, the second has 20 and the third has 18.

V

Vaiden

Aw, you guys are too kind.

Okay. I'll come up with a plan and see how far I can get.

Jett

Digital Artist
Alright, I'm in too! I'll try to get a higher ranking than last time but that probably won't happen coz I'm scrub at making games.

You can count me in! Although I don't think I'll be working 64 of the 72 hours this time around... the resulting sleep deprivation was a bit much for me. But hey now I know how it feels so as to avoid it in the future :) LEEETS JAM

Micah_DS

I've begun warming up my music production skills, preparing for the game jam. Made this within 20 minutes. I'm a little rusty, but I don't think this is a bad start for warming up and for this amount of time, though I did a rushed master, but what can ya do:
Turbulence Echoes (Soundcloud link)

(btw, is there any way to embed soundcloud songs on the GMC forums by chance? So they can be played right here, just like youtube vids?)

A

Aura

@K-BitCRUSH: Apparently not. But nothing stops you from playing that in a video and faking an audio player, right? ^^"

Either way, I'm interested in discussing what one should prioritize during the Jam and how that helps the game to do well. Every Jam that I've participated in, I have found myself lagging behind just because of my poor artistic skills. Isn't it so that I tend to care too much about artwork and end up with an uninteresting and dull gameplay? It also seems that reviewers pay too much attention to graphics. Would be interested in playing a game with good graphics but a poor gameplay? What if you're told to play a game with poor graphics but interesting gameplay? Should we really care about artwork? Shouldn't we pay more attention to the game as a whole instead of judging it based on a component? Would you rank a game lower if it uses pre-made graphics from the internet?

...and in case I don't get an artist, I would perhaps not even show up to submit an entry this time. Just because I have poor artistic skills? >.<

G

GhostlyFeline

@K-BitCRUSH: Apparently not. But nothing stops you from playing that in a video and faking an audio player, right? ^^"

Either way, I'm interested in discussing what one should prioritize during the Jam and how that helps the game to do well. Every Jam that I've participated in, I have found myself lagging behind just because of my poor artistic skills. Isn't it so that I tend to care too much about artwork and end up with an uninteresting and dull gameplay? It also seems that reviewers pay too much attention to graphics. Would be interested in playing a game with good graphics but a poor gameplay? What if you're told to play a game with poor graphics but interesting gameplay? Should we really care about artwork? Shouldn't we pay more attention to the game as a whole instead of judging it based on a component? Would you rank a game lower if it uses pre-made graphics from the internet?

...and in case I don't get an artist, I would perhaps not even show up to submit an entry this time. Just because I have poor artistic skills? >.<
First off, graphics and presentation are two different things. A game can have not very detailed graphics and still be presented well. Good graphics aren't nearly as important as good presentation, at least in my opinion.

Second, I'd say do whatever you're comfortable with. If graphics aren't your strong suit, make up for it by delivering something cool in the gameplay. I've played plenty of games that I thought were super neat despite the graphics not being up to par.

Whatever you decide to make, you should have fun making it. Don't get too bent out of shape about rankings and stuff. The important thing about game jams is making a cool game. If you can do that, you've had a successful jam.

G

Galladhan

Would be interested in playing a game with good graphics but a poor gameplay?
Absolutely no. If i only want to see good graphics, i read comics or i go to the cinema. Or to an art exhibition ;)

What if you're told to play a game with poor graphics but interesting gameplay?
Count me in. Unless the graphics are nausea inducing, i'm fine. Gameplay comes first, in my book.

Told this, i sometimes like "programmer art" if it has a style/personality.
So, yeh, i think you should submit, if you have some good idea to work on.
But that's just my point of view. I know there are lots of "graphics whores" around (i guess i've been one myself, long time ago) :p

(let's see if somebody replies to this post with a piqued tone lol)

P

ParodyKnaveBob

"What they said." But also...

Should we really care about artwork? Shouldn't we pay more attention to the game as a whole instead of judging it based on a component? Would you rank a game lower if it uses pre-made graphics from the internet?
When I've reviewed and rated, here's basically what I've done, in order of your questions:
  1. Judge each component separately, caring about about each part.
  2. Judge the whole game as a composition. ("It's more than the sum of its parts.")
  3. Let the origin of any component affect rank and review of that component and, depending, the whole. That is, if you picked an awesome piece of royalty-free music that really adds to the atmosphere, or if you even reused an excellent game engine you yourself had created, the score goes higher for the awesomeness and lower for the fact that you didn't create it during the Jam -- thereby balancing the advantages rewarded to your design choices and to your 72-hour effort, which I think is a cool scoring system. $:^ ] (Meanwhile, if you used something you didn't have rights to use, instant disqualification -- and that was before this GMC's Jam #1 where Alice made that an explicit rule, which again I appreciate. Google Images is not a license; Google Images assists your online searches.)
Polish scripts, genre engines, sprite packs, etc.
  • Does it work? Score. Work well? Score more. Did you not make it yourself during the Jam? Score less.
  • Does it work? Score. Not work well? Score less. Did you make it yourself during the Jam? Score more.
Balance. $:^ ]

Regards,
Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.