GMC Jam Discussion The Humble GMC Jam #2 Discussion Thread

What theme would you like for the GMC Jam #2?

• DECONSTRUCTION

Votes: 32 35.6%
  • YOU ARE NOT THE HERO

Votes: 43 47.8%
  • POINT OF NO RETURN

Votes: 15 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
Is anybody here?
No?

Well, whatever, I'll just leave it here.
It's not like anybody cares, is it-

THEME:
DECONSTRUCTION
YOU ARE NOT THE HERO
POINT OF NO RETURN

What, where, when?

GMC Jam is a quarterly community event held on GameMaker Community. It is entirely a community event; neither YoYo Games nor Playtech are officially involved in this competition, aside from providing forum space to carry it out. It dates back to the times of old forum, where 21 editions were held (plus one bonus), and now it's a 2nd edition here! You can check the GMC Jam records in the GMC Jam Hall of Fame & Archive.

The Jam has three phases:
  • discussion, held in discussion topic; started about 2 weeks before the Jam (the discussion remains open during and after the Jam, too, until the next Jam discussion starts)
  • development, the core of the Jam, the 72 hours when entries are made and posted in games topic
  • decision, when community members vote for their favourite games and provide feedback to specific entries; it lasts roughly 2 weeks after the Jam, before the results are announced

This GMC Jam will run for 72 hours in the following timeframe:
October 28th (Friday), noon UTC - October 31st (Monday), noon UTC

No Daylight Saving Time

Countdown clock

GMC Jam rules

The following rules will be used during this GMC Jam. Also, general Community Guidelines apply. There has been no changes since the GMC Jam #1, so if you participated in that Jam, you're free to skip over.

PARTICIPATION:
  • any GMC member is welcome to participate in GMC Jam and submit their entry
  • each entry must be made by a single GMC member or a team of up to 3 people; people outside GMC can be in the team, as long as at least one GMC member is in that team
  • each participant can make or contribute to as many entries as they want, but they can only claim rewards for one of them (unless the reward is given specifically for the entry)
  • each entry must have a single post in this Jam's games topic (opened once the Jam officially starts), and no two entries can share the same post
  • the Games topic post can be used to present the entry progress; it can also contain a devlog
  • by the time the Jam ends, each Games topic post must contain a valid link to the entry downloadable file

ENTRY:
  • the entry must be an original creation made in GameMaker specifically for the Jam, within the Jam timeframe
  • the entry might use assets (graphics, audio, scripts, extensions, Marketplace resources etc.) created before the Jam, whether by team members or someone else; however, the credits should make clear where the assets come from and which were made before the Jam
  • the creators of the entry must have rights to all of the assets; unlicensed use of resources is not allowed
  • the entry must be available as a Windows executable file, exported as a stand-alone file or as a ZIP; installers are not allowed
  • the entry might be exported to other platforms as well (such as HTML5 or Android), but the Windows executable must be available

THEME:
  • the Jam has a theme - a general idea around which the entry can be built
  • at the beginning of the Jam discussion there are 3 hidden themes, which will be gradually revealed during the discussion
  • the day before the Jam starts (at least 24 hours in advance) all 3 themes are revealed and theme voting begins
  • the theme with the most votes is officially announced as the Jam theme at the beginning of the Jam
  • there may be a draw or very little difference between two leading themes; in such case, both become the Jam theme and participants are free to use either and ignore the other
  • while incorporating the theme in the entry is not mandatory, participants are strongly encouraged to do so
  • the entry that uses the theme in the most interesting way can win best use of theme award; if the Jam has two themes, there is one award for each theme

BEST-OF AWARDS:
  • aside from the Jam-specific theme, the games can be rated on the concept, the presentation and the story
  • the concept is related to the core gameplay mechanics idea - whether the game rules themselves are creative and entertaing or not
  • the presentation is related to the overall polish - whether the entry provides the right experience through audiovisuals, and whether it's not disrupted by bugs and errors
  • the story is related to the events or motivation present throughout the entry; it can be told through dialogue and narrative, as well as implied through game design
  • the entries excelling at these categories can win best concept, best presentation and best story awards
  • furthermore, aside from entries themselves, their devlogs can be rated; the entry with the most interesting devlog can win best devlog awards

VOTING:
  • after the Jam ends, all entries are gathered in a single ZIP with all entries for everyone to download
  • once the ZIP is available, the voting begins, and it lasts approximately 2 weeks; a longer voting period may be chosen when more than 70-80 entries are submitted
  • the voting period may be extended upon request by at most one additional week; however, not every such request must be granted, and one should show a reasonable progress with reviewing/playing the Jam entries
  • the voting is carried out in the Jam's voting topic, where each voter makes a single post for their scores and reviews
  • any GMC member may vote, whether they participated or not, but participants cannot rank or award their own entries
  • each voter must rank and post a brief comment on at least top 3 games; also, they can rank more games
  • each voter can vote for best use of theme, concept, presentation, story and devlog
  • each voter can vote for best reviewer, but in this case their opinion is entirely non-binding - the best reviewer is eventually chosen by the Jam host after the voting ends
  • aside from best reviewer award, there might be additional symbolic acknowledgements for outstanding reviewing, made with effort and care; in particular, when all or nearly all entries have a decent feedback, when at least 10 helpful and thorough reviews are made or when at least 10 reviews are presented in a creative or entertaining way
  • if some voters or participants are found to be cheating, their entries may be disqualified and they might be excluded from future community events
  • shortly after the voting period closes (preferably within 24 hours), the votes are summed up, and the final results announced; after that, all prizes should be distributed where applicable

PRIZES:
  • top 3 entries, as well as best-of award winners, get special banners and are featured in the Hall of Fame
  • all other entries get their banners, too, just not as special
  • creator of top 3 themed entries get the right to choose the next Jam's pool of themes; one theme per entry
  • aside from regular GMC Jam prizes, other GMC members can contribute the community prizes by messaging the Jam host
  • the community prizes can be given to any range of places, best-of winners, reviewers, personal favourites etc.
  • the community prizes can be nearly anything - custom graphics, soundtracks, gameplay videos, software keys etc.; as long as they are not monetary prizes and they don't break community rules
  • it is community prize contributor's responsibility to give the prize; they should make sure they can deliver their promise

Community prizes

Want to add your community prize? Send a message to the Jam host the details!
(note that you will need to handle prizes distribution after the Jam, please don't pass keys through me or anything)

@aamatniekss offers There was a Caveman and Moustache Mountain Steam keys for top 3 entries
@Alexx offers one of his e-books in PDF for all participants (the books to choose from are here)
@dadio offers:
  • a genuine YoYo yoyo for the first ranking entry
  • commercial licenses for 70 fonts of his + early access to soon announced game for top 3 entries
@HayManMarc offers a short poem for the 42nd ranking entry
@SyntheticStorm9 offer better poem for the 41st ranking entry
@Jett offers drawing/painting for his favourite entry
@Jobo offers 2 Steam games and a GM Asset to entries ranking 4-6; more info here
@johnwo offers a copy of Terraria to a random entry
@K-BitCRUSH offers Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight for the first ranking entry
@Misu offers:
  • Android or HTML5 module for the first ranking entry
  • GM:S Pro license for the second ranking entry
  • 5 YoYo (GameMaker?) games for the third ranking entry
  • 3D tutorial for GM for the 10th ranking entry
  • LIFE-CHANGING SURPRISE or early access to his project for the last ranking entry
See his post for oversized images representing the prizes.

@Yal offers:
  • a copy of tileset collection for the highest-ranked non-platformer game
  • a custom tileset or sprite sheet, tailored for 16x16 size, with ~24 images for everyone who submits a valid entry
@zircher offers 3D model for the highest ranking 3D entry (or, in absence of 3D entries, the highest ranking pseudo-3D entry) (example)

Looking for a team

If you are looking for a team to join for this Jam, just send a message saying that you want to join a team, and briefly describe your skills. You will be added to the list here, for potential teammates to find you.

@GRArthas is looking for an artist; can code 2D/2.5D games, has 4 years of experience.
@LegendarySavior is looking for an artist; he can program a variety of 2D games and compose background music.

Spread the word!

If you would like to promote the Jam, please paste the following code in your signature. Also, please remember that your signature is effective only when you are posting around forums. You might want to go ahead and give feedback in Made with GameMaker and Work in Progress forums, or maybe participate in Programming and Community Tech Support discussions.

Code:
[center][url=https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?threads/the-humble-gmc-jam-2-discussion-thread.9769/][img]http://i.imgur.com/HBHdh8u.png[/img][/url][/center]
Let's get the discussion started!

Last edited:
Third!
I'll probably enter one of the chapters of my upcoming weekly game series as a Jam entry, if that's ok with everyone!
(and I might do so with all my future jam submissions)

A

Aura

It doesn't count before you set the appropriate signature. *whistling*
Soon™ ^^"

(gah, I really miss that whistling emoticon)
Perhaps hit @Nocturne until he adds it? Not sure if it would fit in with rest of the emoticons though; that perhaps explains why it hasn't been added yet. I'm not a huge fan of the (current) default emoticon set anyway, too expressive for my taste.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG GOM GOM NOM NOM...
...nom? All this hype is making me hungry x3

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
15 days... so around 2 weeks. Better get proper rest and stuff so I've got enough energy...

...except the Pokémon Sun&Moon demo is coming out next week...

hippyman

This should be fun. I missed the last couple jams. I kind of want to try something different. If anybody wants a dedicated music/sfx guy for the jam I'm down.

N

Nacky Slocker

Maybe I'll actually participate officially this time. That is, get an eligible entry in.

Also, are the devlogs posted in your game entry post? I'm not quite clear on where to post your devlog.

Micah_DS

I'm way too excited for this~! I'm definitely planning to participate again. I learned a bit from my past failures with the GMC Jam #1 and OSG Jam, so let's see if I learned enough to succeed this time.

I don't know how many people can relate, but for me, completing a game within such a short time frame is really just a battle against my own perfectionism. I'm always being concerned about making the game super fun and making it run as good as I can, and if I have code that isn't all that great, it bothers me to no end, and I often optimize things too early, or I go overboard. I think too much about the end project, ensuring that I start with a solid engine that sets up for the rest of the game elements, etc. This means that I over plan, especially for a game jam game, spending a considerable amount of time before I even begin programming. For some people, it's laziness that slows game development, but for me, it's overthinking and perfectionism.

So I'm really hoping to defeat the perfectionist in me this time. On that note, if anyone has any pre-jam tips / advice for someone like me, I'd appreciate it. :)

Mr Magnus

Viking King
Ok, I have the signature, I've only 1 party that weekend I can spend under an hour in, and I'll put in extra work to get rid of most of my schoolwork. Let's do this!

Posho

I'm in, unless the Halloween party I got invited to is actually happening.
Will see if a music friend has time to help.

G

GhostlyFeline

I have returned from the realm of the dead. I am ready to video games.

A

Aura

Also, are the devlogs posted in your game entry post? I'm not quite clear on where to post your devlog.
Yes. You are recommended to maintain a devlog in your game entry post.

Alice said:
  • the Games topic post can be used to present the entry progress; it can also contain a devlog
  • the entry post can be used to present the entry progress, as well as a devlog
But as you can see that it is not mandatory to do so, it's entirely optional. Perhaps have a look at the last games topic as well to see how others do it?

M

McWolke

oh god, i'd like to participate but i don't think i can make a game in 3 days, but i'll try anyway i guess :<

Mr Magnus

Viking King
oh god, i'd like to participate but i don't think i can make a game in 3 days, but i'll try anyway i guess :<
It's easy: Just think small. if you use a game concept you can get playable in an hour or two you have 2 days and 10 hours to polish and make perfect

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
Added Misu's prizes to the pool~!

Also, it's time to reveal the letters count of the FIRST THEME! :squirrel:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Just for the record, this theme is the shortest. ^^

P

ParodyKnaveBob

#Time2Jam

mm? mm? $:^ }

I have one idea of how I might join this one, for obligations' sakes... We'll see. $:^ J

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
I'd like to remind everyone of a time where Snail_Man and I had to choose the handicap for the GMC Jam #12...
Ah, yeh days of yore whilst yonder were commonplace! And alas, the games th'came whence ye olde forum.

I also realized I'm about to hit the 33% mark of my life expectancy. Suddenly I really feel old. THANKS.

N

Nacky Slocker

I also realized I'm about to hit the 33% mark of my life expectancy. Suddenly I really feel old. THANKS.
Wow! Happy 40th birthday Yal!
This is sarcasm. Non-sarcastically though, happy birthday for you whenever it comes, even if it's months away.

Status
Not open for further replies.