• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Alpha The Heartland Saga Alpha --Greenlight!

S

SLGamesCregg

We've been greenlit! Check out our steam page: http://store.steampowered.com/app/595760/The_Heartland_Saga/?beta=0
We have a new trailer available:
As well as a new demo: https://searchlightgames.itch.io/the-heartland-saga-alpha-

The Heartland Saga is a story based action-rpg/adventure game based on only casting spells unlike the traditional swordfighting actionrpg influenced by Zelda and Lost Magic. It is the plan to make this the first of a series of games that all have completely different play styles, but developing stories in the same world. In this world the elves originated on an island, mysteriously appearing some hundreds of years ago. Eventually the elves moved to the mainland continent (The Heartland) where they were seemingly accepted. Even so, relationships between humans and elves always saw tension due to the elves ability to perform magic, and a man's desire to have it...or have it gone. A tyrant king rose to power, and declared that every elf needed to be eradicated for the good of mankind.

As Feory, you play a fisherman who was by mistake stranded on the island where the elves originated. Years passed as Feory waited for rescue until one day he left his house to find a boat of injured elves and possibly the last of their kind. With no one healthy enough to fight, you must be the key to saving the elves from destruction!

Currently The Heartland Saga is in its Alpha stage with one explorable dungeon and a handful of available spells(with many more to come). It is planned for it's official release in March for Windows, Linux, and Mac on itch.io and steam. In the game you will be able to explore an open world, fight bosses, solve puzzles, and collect items just like any other classic rpg. If you'd like to give the alpha a try go to .Please understand that the alpha is to display the core mechanic and hint at a storyline, and is in no way a completed piece of work. There may be errors and if you find any please report them to us here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Genetix

The game maker RPG graphics look good here, but that character sprite clashes bad with them, it could be touched up a bit. Have to see more of the project to get a better picture of what it is about.

S

SLGamesCregg

The game maker RPG graphics look good here, but that character sprite clashes bad with them, it could be touched up a bit. Have to see more of the project to get a better picture of what it is about.
Oh I completely understand the art issue. With the pre-alpha it is mostly just a mechanic with a lot of art that will be touched up or completely replaced later. As far as seeing what it is about, you can always try out the demo yourself, or just click on the "spoiler" box at the top of the OP and read the story background. Also as it said there's more info at @SLGamesStudio on twitter and our website. Thanks for the advice!

S

SLGamesCregg

As an update, over the last month we have updated the UI, added more monsters in for our new forest area, created a cooldown feature to stop spamming of spells, added new items into our shop, and a lot more. It has been an incredibly rewarding month and here are a couple screens to show for it.

You'll be able to find more updates at our twitter, https://twitter.com/SLGamesStudio

S

SLGamesCregg

http://giphy.com/gifs/l2SpQljQWgWZ2W23e?status=200
Update: I've been working on adding some new effects with the cursor through aiming and drawing. Also added some more to the spell attack animation as well as updated the UI. You can also see the spell lineup for the game so far and a few examples of some being used.

YanBG

I like the terrain tiles/backgrounds and trees, are they from a marketplace resource?

The GUI pretty slick too!

S

SLGamesCregg

Yeah the tilesets are all from the yoyo rpg asset pack on the marketplace! It's incredibly helpful and packed full of scripts that can jumpstart any rpg you want to make. And the GUI is a mix of some stuff from that pack, some stuff I drew myself, and some from a runic asset pack from the marketplace that I editted to make it more sleek.

S

SLGamesCregg

Recently added a new spell "Blizzard" which freezes all enemies in the vicinity for a few seconds. Even though it causes little to no damage and nearly completely overheats your cooldownmeter, it can be used in conjunction with other spells as a strategy to quickly wipe out a room of enemies.
Additionally, I added a spellbook level up system. In the storyline the spellbooks are known to be ancient tools, but when given to a new owner they start off fresh. They need to train and grow with their master through use. With time and effort even the most simple of spells become incredibly powerful and the cooldown meter will rarely ever overheat.

S

SLGamesCregg

Seeing as how our trailer didn't showcase enough of our main mechanic, here's a better look at it.

S

SLGamesCregg

#screenshotsaturday and an update: Our greenlight is going well, but we are getting a lot of constructive criticism that we are using to make our game that much better. Since we've launched our greenlight page, we have redone our entire dungeon adding more decoration, interact-able creatures, and a lighting system. http://giphy.com/gifs/3o7TKLOtxpLafOj2GA

S

SLGamesCregg

Since starting our greenlight campaign we've received tons of feedback. Here's a look at the work we've done over the past couple weeks to improve it.

S

SLGamesCregg

Haven't updated this thread in a while, so there is quite a bit to say. First off, we've been greenlit! Now we have our official steam site set up and plan to be released in late fall. http://store.steampowered.com/app/595760/The_Heartland_Saga/?beta=0

We've also put a ton of work into the game. Just to show off a bit of it, we've added some new monsters:

We altered the combat system, adding in the ability to swap spells on the fly based on which ones you have activated (max three).

While working on the spellbook we also added some new spells!

We also completed the boss of the ice dungeon and have just started work on the rock dungeon, meaning we are more than halfway through developing the game!

NicoDT

Congratulations!! Well deserved, the game is looking good :)

I uploaded to greenlight 2 days ago and I'm hoping I get greenlit before they remove it haha. I saw you uploaded a demo during the campaign, did it improve the traffic to the greenlight page? (I ask you because I'm thinking about doing a new demo).

S

SLGamesCregg

Congratulations!! Well deserved, the game is looking good :)

I uploaded to greenlight 2 days ago and I'm hoping I get greenlit before they remove it haha. I saw you uploaded a demo during the campaign, did it improve the traffic to the greenlight page? (I ask you because I'm thinking about doing a new demo).
Thanks a lot! And I had around 20 people that played the demo so all in all I'm not sure if it helped at all. Your game looks great though. If anything Id just say make sure you're advertising and also I'd recommend porting to the other PC operating systems. As a linux gamer I'd appreciate it :)