• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Demo The Happy Kid (WIP) BLOODY Hotline Miami style shooter!! (02-12-2021)

O

Omar Almighty

f41f0349-06cc-4fc1-bc8c-bee202687444.png

The Happy Kid (Working Title) is a Hotline Miami / Deadbolt Inspired Top-Down Shooter telling the stories of two hit-men in the city of Los Angeles and the choices they make regarding life, death, corruption, honor, and greed.

I'm working on this project on my spare time and wanted to get some feedback on what I have so far.
You can mess with the guns in the gun range or play the first few levels!

Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/pnopo0n3qqb74zd/THK_demo_a0.10.zip?dl=0

Thank you :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Gamerev147

My feedback based on the latest release:
  • Game seems a little slow. If your target is for PC, I would up the game speed to 60.
  • During the chapter intro, I can fire my weapon and hear it. I would make a simple solution by disabling the player during these moments.
  • Walls and doors are really thick and make the play area seem unnecessarily cluttered.
  • Pause menu.... I can't see what's going on.
  • There is no way to access the options in the main menu, only the pause screen.
On the other hand, the blood, gore, killing, and interaction is very similar to Hotline Miami; I like it!
Nice work! I'm looking forward to playing an updated demo soon!

O

Omar Almighty

Update:

I have fixed some minor bugs and made a few adjustments to the textures and backgrounds. I also added a new heavy enemy type in chapter 4. and a table you can kick into cover.

>Added new floor textures
>Added new environmental items
>Changed background color to dark grey instead of purple
>Added Heavy enemy type
>Adjusted collisions script for smoother "Rolls"
>Adjusted handgun to deal less damage
>Added table mechanic

Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/oeh282hqnfwy4hn/THK_6_28_2020.zip?dl=0

1593399648669.png

Once again any feedback or suggestions would be great! Hope you guys enjoy this updated version! :)

Ladi_Pix3l

Hello hello,

I see you're going for a "Hotline Miami" vibe here. Unfortunately since the isn't much to comment on due to what is expected from a game like this, I'll leave you with a suggestion. The menu cursor should be above the buttons... just seems off for some reason. Maybe adjust the depth a little.

All-in-all it's fine for what it is now. Nothing to complain about.

Gamerev147