GMC Jam Discussion The Gratified GMC Jam #6 Discussion Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

NightOwl35

Been working on my game non stop yesterday and today. A lot of dumb issues caused errors that took a while to fix (usually forgetting to set a variable to true or something like that). Hoping to get these last few things done. I'm thinking this will be my best jam game I've made (which isn't saying much considering my previous entries). Because of time constraints though, I had to downsize slightly but oh well. Can always come back to it after the jam. Got a lot left and not a lot of time to do it, so back to the grind I go!

trg601

That was fun! I've not done a jam since I got my job but now I think I might try to do one again. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's games!
(After I finish all the homework I've been neglecting)

Joh

Welp, got my game more or less ready.
Wish I could have added a bit more, but it's quite functional and polished.
Hope people enjoy it! its a card game!
scrsht_18.png
Try to converge to your goal card.
Very quick games

Perseus

Not Medusa
Forum Staff
Only a few more hours to go! If anyone is having difficulty with posting their entry or updating an existing post because of the GMC's links filter, please PM me as soon as possible or DM me the information over at Discord, and I'll post your game in the Games topic on your behalf (or make changes to the specified post wherever applies). Thank you and apologies for the inconvenience!

F

FadedSketch

I'm finally done, though I feel as though everyone else's games are muuuuuuch better than mine. ;w; But hey, at least I submitted a finished game, right?
Though I am excited to play everyone's' games! quite a few looked pretty interesting! ^^

R

rio-85

Almost done here. First jam I go solo and first time programming from start to finish. Going solo was quite hard and Im posting an unfinished game. But it was a lot of fun and the discord server is amazing. Thanks you, all of you.

Cat

All RIGHT! This Jam has been incredibly confusing, so here's a simplified timeline:

-1 week before jam: Decided I wasn't going to participate (too much studying to do)
-7 hours after jam start: "Oh hey the theme's out, I should check it"
-7h1: "..."
-7h2: "..."
-7h3: "ok, even if I were to participate, what am I supposed to do with that?"
-14h: Decided that I'd try to make something anyway because I had an idea I liked
-36h: Had a weird bug and decided that I couldn't finish my game by the deadline
-43h: After tinkering with the project on-and-off for hours, I fixed the bug. Still wasn't participating
-63h: Couldn't bear not participating, so I came up with a simple idea and threw it together.
-67h: Made this post :D
-67h1: Checked the clock to make sure I was right about the times. I was not. I now have 2 fewer hours that I thought I did D:

Congratulations to everyone; the entries I've seen so far look amazing!

lazertrax

I'm glad to say we did finish our first game! It's been quite a tough challenge for a first time especially since we had to finish it in less than 48 hours due to real life events.

Congratulations everybody on the awesome entries and I hope you guys like what we came up with.

Our entry: Boxbuddy Monsters!

mimusic

Showing off my makeshift level editor, since it would speed up the level design process overall. Last thing I'm uploading before my entry. There's about 2 hours left and I'm probably gonna have to skip on the fancy little intro I had planned. This game will definitely be expanded post-jam, since I know there's a lot more I can do with it.

mimusic_prevGif4.gif

S

Sinaz20

Skin of our fricken teeth!

2 minutes late by my clock. I was minding all the details of the submission format :p

Imma get some rest and then write up some dev log stuff... a little post mortem or something.

What a weekend! Thanks so much to @FredFredrickson 's awesome work and support!

I can't wait to play everyone's games!

mimusic

well, I got my 'game' up at the last second. Unfortunately, between spending a lot of time on the shaders and wasting the entire first day on a different concept, the thing I've uploaded is more like a proof of concept than anything close to the game I want it to be. This is alright though, since it's my first jam. Live and learn! I'll continue working on this game in the future, since I think it can be something really cool.

screenshot.png

The M

What do you know, I made a game after all. It's short, crude and I had only an hour to make it but I'm glad I got a chance to enter. :)

Micah_DS

Well, it's another failure on my part to shoot simple (and normal) enough. I tried so hard to make something simple too. :confused::oops:

I still submitted my game, but it's not complete. Some day I'll make a complete game in time though. Yes, some day.

L

Lt. Farfetch'd

Unfortunately I haven't been able to upload our game's link because of dropbox's ineptitude. This may well be a sad day.

P

ParodyKnaveBob

I'm at peace. I have mixed feelings on my entry. I remembered more things I forgot to say in the AFTERWORD. Shortcuts I took at the end are still in mind. Yet there's a catharsis for not giving up... Like many of you here, no, it's not to the finished state I wanted it to be -- but considering my limitations (including tech environment)... I'm warmly smiling right now instead of feeling disappointed. $:^ ) If I somehow manage to get into the top half of the votes, I'll be impressed and pleased; if I don't, I'm still pleased. $E^ }

I hope to have time to play some of you folks' efforts this week. Looking forward to it if I do! $:^ }

Regards,
Bob $:^ )

EDIT: You might find it interesting that (because of slow compile times on my hardware,) I created "GMC Jammin'" last night without running the Debugger module a single time. $8^ , $:^ } (Weird for me. Normally, F6 is the way, the only way. Ha ha ha.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Ralucipe

About how long after the Jam ends does it usually take before the voting topic is posted?

EDIT: Testing a voting template...

Current Rankings
Check in the "Game Reviews" section to see reviews and score breakdowns for individual games.
  1. Game 1 (-/30 pts)
  2. Game 2 (-/30 pts)
  3. Game 3 (-/30 pts)
  4. Game 4 (-/30 pts)
  5. Game 5 (-/30 pts)

"Best Of" Votes (none yet, check back later)

Ralucipe's Votes and Reviews
Welcome to my voting and review post! I take a very structured and methodical approach to casting my votes - after I play each game, I assign it a score out of 30 possible points. This score breaks down into three subscores: Game Mechanics, Inclusion of Theme, and Quality of Assets. Some of these subscores break down into subscores of their own!
If you want to know more about how I review and score games, check out the spoiler below. I strongly recommend giving it a read so you understand why I assign the scores that I do.

WIP

Now, onto the reviews!
As I play through each Jam entry, I will edit this post to add reviews and scores. Check back often to see when your game has been added.

Reviews & Scores (0/60 done)
Game 1 (30/30 pts)
Review stuff here

Last edited:
P

ParodyKnaveBob

@Ralucipe: It depends how long it takes to make the ZIP available. Lemme see how many of the Games Topic's 59 replies are actual entries... Wow! Every single post has a download link! A lot more sizeable Jam than I expected! $:^ ] (Which probably means the ZIP'll take a while.)

Weerdoh

First time participating in a jam. and am glad we were able to get a version in before the time was up. Was a fun and stressful experience especially in the last few hours. Huge props to my teammate @GRArthas for sticking it out and coding to the last few minutes.

Congrats to everyone who participated. Looking forward to trying out the entries :)

P

ParodyKnaveBob

Very tempted to just start going through the Games topic before the ZIP arrives (like I've usually done), but nooo no no, I need my four hours max of sleep. $F^ b

Oh, but that's right, I forgot, at some point someone made a games presenter thingy, meaning I don't have to reprogram my games list shuffler from scratch. Cool. Good reason to just use it then.

R

RargraveEntertainment

It was late, and I made a last minute fix..... now I can't remember if I changed the export to single exe. Is there a way to tell if my final export is a single.exe or an installer?

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
It was late, and I made a last minute fix..... now I can't remember if I changed the export to single exe. Is there a way to tell if my final export is a single.exe or an installer?
Two easy points:
  • Installers have the "box and CDs" icon, single executables have the icon you assigned to it or the YoYo icon if you didn't specify one.
  • Installers tell you that you are about to install something when you run it, single executables skip straight to the game.
Even if it was an installer, the game has been packed so that it's not. So no reason to worry here.
Installers are specifically forbidden according to the rules of the Jam.
the entry must be available as a Windows executable file, exported as a stand-alone file or as a ZIP; installers are not allowed
Depending on how strict Ragarnak is with enforcing this rule, this might or might not be a point to worry about.

andev

That's really fun!

At first I didn't realise that I had to close the gap, and so this was happening:

But this is how I went out after understanding the mechanics!

I found the best technique was to just try to trap 2, and while they're merging, start the loop for the next one (because it stays still when it's freshly merged)

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
That's really fun!

At first I didn't realise that I had to close the gap, and so this was happening:

But this is how I went out after understanding the mechanics!

I found the best technique was to just try to trap 2, and while they're merging, start the loop for the next one (because it stays still when it's freshly merged)
I'm glad you enjoyed the game. Since you have 3 star colours on your kill screen, I know you made it to at least Round 5, which is reassuring.

One of my main worries was having too little room for error on the time limits. With a graphics tablet or touch screen, you can easily clear levels at least a minute faster than with a mouse. I tuned down the time limit last-minute just to reduce this edge, and deservedly or not, I'm getting testtaker's remorse over it.

I also found out about that strategy you described late in playtesting, which can't be executed on other similar games because the units converge differently. This is an unexpected result of my design decisions, but the additional dimension of strategy seems worth it.

The main macro strategy I use is leaving one colour as untouched as I can until the end, then draw a huge loop to close out the round with a whack load of points. It's a high-risk strategy that can be hard to bootstrap on later levels, but my graphics tablet makes it much easier.

andev

I'm glad you enjoyed the game. Since you have 3 star colours on your kill screen, I know you made it to at least Round 5, which is reassuring.
Only just though!

The main macro strategy I use is leaving one colour as untouched as I can until the end, then draw a huge loop to close out the round with a whack load of points. It's a high-risk strategy that can be hard to bootstrap on later levels, but my graphics tablet makes it much easier.
Yeah, and that ends up happening anyway if you can keep up the streak of merging stars to the same one as it's frozen.

Dang, you should've seen it earlier.
I was ranked in all of odd positions and you were ranked in the even positions.
Great game btw.
Thanks! Yeah I checked it an hour ago and you hadn't beaten my score yet. Have you been playing for an hour...?! Either way I'm gonna beat that score.......

Status
Not open for further replies.