• Hey! Guest! The 39th GMC Jam will take place between November 26th, 12:00 UTC and November 30th, 12:00 UTC. Why not join in! Click here to find out more!

The GMC Jam Suggestions Topic

Alice

Toolmaker of Bucuresti
Forum Staff
@Toque Actually, GM48 mentioned by @Selek is a separate competition. I think it originated from GameMaker reddit, but I'm not sure.

At any rate, these competitions are independent.
You are free to participate in both. GMC Jam timeframe has been helpfully shifted in a way that these competitions alternate between one another (so that a given GM48 run ends up roughly right between two GMC Jams, and vice versa).
At the same, note that we don't host GM48; this forum section is dedicated to GMC Jam only. I guess there's nothing wrong with making Community Chat topic about the upcoming GM48, though.

Toque

@Toque Actually, GM48 mentioned by @Selek is a separate competition. I think it originated from GameMaker reddit, but I'm not sure.

At any rate, these competitions are independent.
You are free to participate in both. GMC Jam timeframe has been helpfully shifted in a way that these competitions alternate between one another (so that a given GM48 run ends up roughly right between two GMC Jams, and vice versa).
At the same, note that we don't host GM48; this forum section is dedicated to GMC Jam only. I guess there's nothing wrong with making Community Chat topic about the upcoming GM48, though.
thanks the clarification!!! Sorry for any confusion.

Mercerenies

Do you mean jam 38? Or am I missing something?
Seems like we just finished GM jam 37 and everyone is taking a Jam break. Things heat up a couple weeks before the next jam. I think there is between 30-60 entries. "Is it worth it?" Yeah its tons of fun if you like doing jams.

There is one more this year. You can look at the last Jam posting and look at the games. Look at the posts. Get a feel of what its about. You could always give it a shot. Its a challenge but its rewarding and fun.

Did you have specific questions that I haven't answered? I usually finish top three so you should take everything I say as fact........ Everybody fights to be on my team. Nintendo has been scouting me. I'm holding out for more money. You can name drop "Toque" if you need anything around the jam people. Hahaha

But seriously ask lots of questions if you have any.
Toque.
I believe Selek is asking about another GM-related jam. I don't know anything about it really, but I have heard people talk about it at least.

EDIT: That'll teach me to refresh the page before responding. Now I feel dumb 😓

Selek

Thanks for the replies. I didn't mean to cause confusion! My apologies. Maybe I'll open a separate thread about GM48 in Community Chat, as @Alice suggests.

kris24

Is there a schedule somewhere that says when the next GMC jam will be? Going by last year it looks like the end of November maybe, but I'm wondering if there's somewhere I can find out exactly when it will be so I can set a reminder for it.

Reading through the pages, I just want to say that GM38 was my first one in this community (I've done GM48 a number of times now) and I really appreciated how it is structured - the time schedule was nice for me, personally. A little bit more time than GM48 to prepare and polish before uploading, but not so much time that I feel like I'm "missing out" because I have to work during potential jam time. I also really liked the community focus on feedback and comments; the encouragement to play, rate, and leave a note for every game is awesome. @Siolfor the Jackal taking the time to stream every game was especially amazing and a very useful resource for every participant. Jams with more entries would be impossible or at least very difficult to do all that, so while the number of entries seems to have come up as a concern, I honestly think 40-50 entries is a perfect amount for this kind of jam, and even if there were fewer sometimes I don't think it's something to worry about too much.

I think both GMC jam and GM48 are really beneficial for the GameMaker community, so if there's one suggestion I'd have, it's that both jams cooperate to at least mention the existence of the other if possible. Obviously, doing 8 jams a year is probably too much for most people, but it could be that sometimes someone's schedule lines up better with one or the other. GM48 has also had worries about participation in the past I think (they had 60 or so in this last one so maybe it's fine now) so it can't hurt to get the word out to all the different GM communities. I found out about this jam from the post that someone made on reddit, so maybe there's already an effort for that.

Looking forward to the next one!

EDIT: And of course right after posting this I find the dates for the next one - Nov 26-30. D'oh! Unfortunately I probably won't be able to join as I won't be at home, but oh well there's always the next one!