Windows The Glitch Fairy! - Action 2d side scroller

touhoufan90

I am very impressed with the progress of this project. You clearly have a stream-lined process for creating new content. I have to ask though, how many people are part of the development team?
Thank you! We really appreciate your comment! At first we weren't very streamlined, it took us a while to figure out the best way to make progress. We are only a team of two but we contact various music composers for our soundtrack.

touhoufan90

Hi everyone!

If you equip the Speedy Seals Slippers Monie will walk, jump and dash faster. Use them to speedrun a level or to access hard to reach places and find secrets.
Stay tuned for more details about artifacts in the upcoming weeks!

Like always, feel free to ask questions or leave comments, your feedback is important to us. Have a great day!

touhoufan90

In The Glitch Fairy, you can equip multiple Artifacts at the same time. For example, you can equip the Mr Shield (which reduces damage by half a heart) and Maple Charm (which may grant invincibility after getting hit).

This artifact combo is perfect if you prefer defense over offence. Try different combinations and find one that fits your preferred playstyle!

Like always, feel free to ask questions or leave comments, your feedback is important to us. Have a great day!

touhoufan90

Hi!

If you equip the Moon Croissant and the Cosmic Glove, your projectiles will change to something completely different.

Try different combinations to find the perfect set of artifacts for your play style!

touhoufan90

Hi everyone!

We wanted to make items more accessible, so we added mini stores before every boss room.
Now you can use your coins and store up on items before a tough fight!

Last edited:

touhoufan90

Hi everyone!

Find Retro Monie and bring her with you on your adventure. She will assist you with her old school blasts!

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
upload_2019-12-14_23-4-48.png

I'm getting some huge Hollow Knight vibes from this (probably helps how the items are mostly round, just like the charms in Hollow Knight), it's starting to shape up really well! I'm perplexed there's so little discussion going on in this topic with all these cool and exciting status updates.

(I guess maybe the forum is dying, after all)

touhoufan90

View attachment 28023

I'm getting some huge Hollow Knight vibes from this (probably helps how the items are mostly round, just like the charms in Hollow Knight), it's starting to shape up really well! I'm perplexed there's so little discussion going on in this topic with all these cool and exciting status updates.

(I guess maybe the forum is dying, after all)
Your comment made our day. It's very nice to be compared to such a great game. Thank you for your comment and interest in our project, we'll keep posting updates regularly.
Also just curious, is the forum dying because there is a new one? Because of game maker 2 or people have moved to discord / reddit?

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
It's not formally dying yet, it's just a really low level of activity compared with a few years ago. I guess one of the major reasons is that there was a generational shift where hobby developers moved on (or got too busy to chitchat with strangers) and the new generation prefers private Discord servers so they can keep their project development secret and have more direct contact with their fanbases? That's just a theory, I've lost touch with what the kids of today are into :p

touhoufan90

Hi everyone!

Here is a compilation of gameplay footage. It shows the most important mechanics of the game.
Thank you for watching our progress this year! We really appreciate your support and we wish you happy holidays!

Hey, this game actually is looking pretty sick! The glitch niche is interesting.

Not sure why you're not getting much attention. But maybe update the first post with the link to the demo? Honestly, when I first clicked on this topic (several times) I assumed it was all just previews, and screenshots only: Only when I read through to post 20 or something I saw you had a demo link.

touhoufan90

Hey, this game actually is looking pretty sick! The glitch niche is interesting.

Not sure why you're not getting much attention. But maybe update the first post with the link to the demo? Honestly, when I first clicked on this topic (several times) I assumed it was all just previews, and screenshots only: Only when I read through to post 20 or something I saw you had a demo link.
Thank you for your kind words!
And you are absolutely right about putting the demo link in the first post. I don't know why I never thought about that XD.

Yrbiax

Hey, i tried your demo.

I really liked gameplay. It was like combination off all classics.
Graphics were really cute. I love how absurdly massive those shield enemies were. :D
Glitch beam was very creative idea. At first i didnt even use it as i thought it was just more powerful attack.

Controls were in weird positions thought. I would suggest up key as alternative jump.
It took me while to figure out how to get out of shop. Pressing backspace didnt come to mind.

After i got killed by skeleton my screen turned completely black. I tried to restart and continue, but it was still black. So I had to restart from new game.

glitch fairy 3.png
Boss battle was really cool.

touhoufan90

Hey, i tried your demo.

I really liked gameplay. It was like combination off all classics.
Thanks a lot for trying the demo and giving feedback! This is an old demo and some of the problems have been fixed.

As for the controls, we will make it much more intuitive.
Interesting about the glitch beam, this mean we have to present it better.

Thank you for the kind words! This means a lot and it's really good to hear.

touhoufan90

Hi everyone!

We finished polishing the forest level! You will be able to see more of the updated level in the upcoming demo.

touhoufan90

Hi everyone!

Use your glitch beam on a Bomber Bird to transform your regular blasts into Magic Bombs! These projectiles can destroy certain indestructible objects while also inflicting serious damage on regular enemies.

touhoufan90

Hi everyone!

Use your mighty Glitch Beam on a Witch and you will transform into a cute flying broom! Fly away and explore previously out of reach areas!

Gamebot

Very nicely done!

I love the attention to detail...just the little things. The characters, the poses, the smooth animations even how quick the text pops up.
( Personal note: I get annoyed when I have to wait for text to pop up to read it.)

Everything counts in large amounts...keep it up!

touhoufan90

Hi everyone!

If you get a puppet skin, you can change your puppet's look by using the mirror in Monie's room. Not only will it make your puppet look different, but it will also change it's projectiles and sound effects!

Find Retro Monie in the new playable Demo and experience old school action yourself!

touhoufan90

Hi everyone!

We recently added a new collectible in The Glitch Fairy, the Ancient Coins! These rare coins are hidden in every level and can be traded for special items. Make sure to find them all! If you want to start looking for them right now, try our demo here!: https://gamejolt.com/games/theglitchfairy/330164

CMAllen

Mmm...the backgrounds are notably more colorful and use a broader color palette than your foreground elements. This is an odd contrast. Typically you want to go the other direction with them -- more colorful and broader color palette for the foreground and interactive elements and more subdued, simplified color palette for the background. Example:

This is to make the delineation between game space and the background easily identifiable to the player.

touhoufan90

Example:

This is to make the delineation between game space and the background easily identifiable to the player.
mmm I get a error when trying to see your image but I 100% understand what you mean. We will keep that in mind and thanks for the feedback!

touhoufan90

Hi everyone!

We recently reworked some enemies and added new glitches. If you use your Glitch Beam on a Little Death, you will become an invincible shadow. Use it to explore or to rush through enemies!

touhoufan90

Hi everyone!

Glitching enemies can give you an edge in combat, but it can also help you find secrets!

touhoufan90

One of the most important character in The Glitch Fairy is Princess ''Badassia'' Spalanie. She wants Monie's village to join the great Spalanie Empire, but our little fairy will never give up her freedom!

Try our demo here! https://gamejolt.com/games/theglitchfairy/330164

pixeltroid

playing the demo now. Looks nice so far. Very good vector graphics and music/sound. Having some trouble with the controls. WASD control options would be good. Arrow keys and space button to jump feels weird. Also, how do I attack?

touhoufan90

playing the demo now. Looks nice so far. Very good vector graphics and music/sound. Having some trouble with the controls. WASD control options would be good. Arrow keys and space button to jump feels weird. Also, how do I attack?
Thank for your interest and kind words!
Well the game was more designer with a controller in mind BUT we will update the demo soon with custom keybinding so everyone will have no problem with controls anymore.

Now to answer your question, F to shoot normal beam, G to shoot glitch beam, D for dashing, SPACE for jumping.

Also you are not the first one asking for a normal WASD control options and we were wondering if WASD is the basics for movement, what Keys would be the most natural for you with the shooting, glitching and dashing?

Have a good day!

pixeltroid

Also you are not the first one asking for a normal WASD control options and we were wondering if WASD is the basics for movement, what Keys would be the most natural for you with the shooting, glitching and dashing?
IMO, arrow keys are outdated. The most intuitive keyboard control scheme would be based on the layout of game controllers -- WASD movement on the left, and action keys on the right as circled in this pic.

keyboard.jpg

But custom keybinding would be ideal for everyone. Because some people like me, prefer using W for jump whereas others prefer having a seperate button for jump on the right.

touhoufan90

IMO, arrow keys are outdated. The most intuitive keyboard control scheme would be based on the layout of game controllers -- WASD movement on the left, and action keys on the right as circled in this pic.

View attachment 32832

But custom keybinding would be ideal for everyone. Because some people like me, prefer using W for jump whereas others prefer having a seperate button for jump on the right.
In the next demo update we will use WASD for movement, thanks for you feedback!

touhoufan90

Since we opened our Discord server, we made quite a few emotes! Even more are on the way! If you want daily updates, talk about the game or simply hang out, join the official The Glitch Fairy Discord server!

Join our Discord!: https://discord.gg/VSj36hx

touhoufan90

Hi everyone!

Tired of seeing regular magic blasts? Good news, you can buy items that change Monie's regular blasts into cool stuff!

Like always, feel free to ask questions or leave comments, your feedback is important to us.

Have a great day!

Join our Discord!: https://discord.gg/VSj36hx