Windows The Glitch Fairy! - Action 2d side scroller

touhoufan90

Edit: You can download the demo here!: https://gamejolt.com/games/theglitchfairy/330164
Edit2: Try our new updated Beta Demo!

The Glitch Fairy is an action packed 2d side scroller starring Monie, an eccentric fairy with the unusual power to ''glitch'' her enemies.

Each enemy glitches differently, so our little fairy needs to use her ability wisely to reach different places, discover hidden paths, speedrun, acquire collectibles and more.

Story

Monie the fairy recently lost her flying power due to a mysterious artifact controlled by her eternal arch nemesis, Princess Badassia of the Spalanie Kingdom.

After losing her power, Monie discovers a weird shrine that grants her the power to glitch her enemies.

With her new ability, our little fairy embarks on a quest to confront her old rival and get her power back!

Overview

The core mechanic of the game centers around jumping and shooting. Monie can shoot Magic Beams, which she will use most of the time to defeat her enemies. However, she can also shoot Glitch Beams to glitch foes, which all have different reactions to it.

Here are some examples of said reactions:

• Temporary Shield
  • Attack Boost
  • Super Speed
  • Infinite Jumps
  • Turn an enemy into a friendly cow
  • Make a platform appear
  • Instantly defeating a tough enemy

There are more that 30 different enemies, which means more than 30 different glitch reactions!

Contrary to Monie's regular Magic Beams, which can be fired at will, Glitch Beams have limited amounts of use. Shooting Glitch Beams costs Candies, which can be collected during levels.

Collectibles and Power Ups

Each level has lots of important items that can be found using Glitch Beams. For example:

• Scrolls that unlock hidden levels.
  • Mushrooms that permanently give Monie more health or power.
  • Gold Coins that can be used to buy items and equipment.
  • Magic Amethysts that serve a mysterious purpose.
  • And more secrets (We can't spoil everything!).

In The Glitch Fairy, there is always another room after a boss battle. In said room, players will always have the opportunity to use their glitching skills to discover a hidden Time Portal. This is purely optional and can be skipped entirely but if you manage to reach a Time Portal, you might want to enter it...

Goals

We want to make a fast paced, challenging game that can be played and enjoyed by everyone. We want to give players a fun experience that doesn't punish failure too much while keeping them on edge.

Most importantly, we want people to play The Glitch Fairy as they want to play it. This is why we came up with the glitch mechanic. A player can take his time and use glitches to look around and find secrets or he can use them to take more hits and dash through enemies to finish a level as fast as possible or he can just ignore the mechanic completely and blast enemies with regular Magic Beams. That's the kind of freedom we want to include as much as possible in our action side scroller.

We have also focused on creating charming characters. We always loved games with quirky characters and story. We will talk more about that in a later update.

Conclusion

We plan to release The Glitch Fairy this year. Most of the game is done, but there's still some polish and testing to do.
Any feedback or comments will be greatly appreciated. We will update this devlog soon.

Thank you a lot for your time and have a great day!

Last edited:

touhoufan90

touhoufan90

Hi everyone! This week we want to show you our new updated HUD! In the Glitch Fairy, there are two things you will always see on screen; Monie's health and the Glitch Gauge, which indicates how many time you can shoot a Glitch Beam. To fill up your Glitch Gauge you simply have to collect candies, so make sure to get as much as you can!

G

GilM

The game looks great! Are these handdrawn sprites? What program did you use, and how did you guys manage to do the seamless tiling using handdrawn sprites? That's the toughest part, especially when things are handdrawn, most programs will make it a nightmare to do tilesets.

touhoufan90

The game looks great! Are these handdrawn sprites? What program did you use, and how did you guys manage to do the seamless tiling using handdrawn sprites? That's the toughest part, especially when things are handdrawn, most programs will make it a nightmare to do tilesets.
Hi! Thank you for your feedback! We're glad you like the graphics! Yes sprites are all hand drawn. We use Paint Tool Sai to draw the sprites and make the sprite sheets.

As for the tileset, we tried and failed many, many times before we got seamless tileset. Tilesets are honestly the most time consuming ''art'' to make. We need to make sure they are the good size for game maker and also make them in a way that looks good and not too repetitive. We can tell you that big tilesets tend to look better and are easier to work with.

Let us know if you have any questions and thank you again!

touhoufan90

Hi everyone!
During your quest you will fight a lot of bad guys, but you will also learn about the lore of the land and characters. If you are the kind of player that likes story, make sure to talk to everyone you meet!

Hyomoto

I'll reserve judgement but I will offer a word of caution: when you make a game for everyone, you are also making a game for no one. Inclusion is great, but it is not a mechanic. What if I like FPS? What does the game offer me? Or maybe I want puzzles? Anything there? What if I hate puzzles? Can I just skip them?

At some point your game has to decide what it offers the player. Most players will choose whatever is simplest and most effective. If the whole game can be beat without glitches, why bother adding them at all? If the glitches are best, why ever use magic? Everything should have a place and a purpose.

I haven't played so I'm not trying to be overly critical here, just offering some advice as an observer.

touhoufan90

Hi everyone! We have great news! We will release a demo soon! We've been working hard to polish the first level this month and it's almost ready. We can't wait for you to try our game!

touhoufan90

The demo is coming well! It will include the entire first stage. We recently remade the first boss's sprite and attack patterns. Stay tuned for more details soon!

touhoufan90

Hi everyone! This week we have a cosmetic update to show you.

Dashing and jumping now leave puffs of smoke around Monie!
Stay tuned for more details on the upcoming demo soon!

touhoufan90

Hi everyone! Since Monie's village is the first area we made, we decided to give it a little makeover.

In this tiny town, you can talk to the locals, equip items, buy stuff and see the collectibles you obtained
during your adventure. Stay tuned for more details on the demo soon!

CMAllen

Careful with making your background graphics too bright or too detailed. When you do that, the important stuff (the actual interactive scenery) gets lost because it doesn't stand out from everything else. In the previous bit, it was not immediately obvious what was 'the room' and what was 'the background' because in terms of tone and brightness, there was no substantial difference between them. The ideal is to have the two layers of artwork be visibly distinct from each other.

That nitpick aside, love the work and attention to detail thus far.

touhoufan90

This week, we have changed the dialogue boxes's design. Before, minor characters only had simple dialogue boxes, but now they have boxes with little heads representing each character.
We think it gives more life and personality to the interactions. The demo is coming well! Stay tuned for more details on the demo soon!

touhoufan90

Hi! Today we want to show you a very useful glitch ability that you can use in The Glitch Fairy.
If you shoot a Glitch Beam at a waitress, she will throw two Destructive Plates,
which will destroy any enemy or destructible obstacle they touch.

Download The Glitch Fairy demo here! : https://gamejolt.com/games/theglitchfairy/330164

Last edited:

touhoufan90

Hi everyone!

Here is the new, updated end level result screen! Get a perfect score in each level and you will get a great reward!

Feel free to ask questions or comments and have a great day!

touhoufan90

Hi everyone! Little update for The Glitch Fairy.

If you use your Glitch Beam on a Spalanie Cook, a gummy bear will appear out of thin air.

Gummy bears fully replenish your health so use this glitch wisely and get through a difficult part without a scratch!
Feel free to ask questions or comments and have a great day!

touhoufan90

Hi everyone!

See something you can't reach in a narrow place? No problem, just use your mighty Glitch Beam on a Hooded Creep and turn momentarily into a ball of light! No small tunnel can stop you now!

Feel free to comment and have a great day!

touhoufan90

Hi everyone!

We made a new glitch for our game, The Glitch Fairy. If you use your mighty Glitch Beam on a Broken Puppet, ladders will appear. Use this glitch to make levels easier or to find secrets!

touhoufan90

Hi everyone!

Blast a Pumpkind with your Glitch Beam to get machine gun seed bullets! Mow down all your enemies in an instant with this nutritious power!

Like always, feel free to ask questions or leave comments, your feedback is important to us. Have a great day!

curato

I laughed at Princess Badassia more that probably should have. I tried the demo looks nice but the controls aren't very intuitive. I don't really like it is arrows not WASD. and it is irregular if enter does it or if A or D and then I had to face roll the keyboard to figure out backspace got you out the shop. I had to alt F4 out of the game because exit didn't seem to work. A legend of what keys do what would help a lot.

touhoufan90

I laughed at Princess Badassia more that probably should have. I tried the demo looks nice but the controls aren't very intuitive. I don't really like it is arrows not WASD. and it is irregular if enter does it or if A or D and then I had to face roll the keyboard to figure out backspace got you out the shop. I had to alt F4 out of the game because exit didn't seem to work. A legend of what keys do what would help a lot.
Thanks a lot for trying our demo! And don't worry the keyboard controls are not final and there will be key binding to accommodate everyone : D

touhoufan90

Hi everyone!

The final level is almost done! While you make your way into this sinister mansion, a particular set of foes will try to stop you, the Little Deaths. They always come in pairs. If you use your Glitch Beam on one of them, a portal will appear that will transport you to the location of the other one.

touhoufan90

Hi everyone!

If you use your mighty Glitch Beam on a Zombie Waiter, it will turn it into stone. You can then push it around and use it as a platform. It can also activate switches that are normally out of reach.

Like always, feel free to ask questions or leave comments, your feedback is important to us. Have a great day!

touhoufan90

Hi everyone!

If you look around carefully, you might find scrolls hidden in certain areas. These scrolls unlock optional levels on the world map.
Here is some footage of the first secret level, the Mushroom Field!

touhoufan90

Hi everyone!

A few weeks ago we shared artwork of Namiya the Orange Witch. Now we'd like to show you her in-game! She is a special character that can be found in the Purple Mansion only during certain days.

touhoufan90

Hi everyone!

Before, using your Glitch Beam on an Ol'Days Guy would grant you a speed boost, but now it also makes you immune to spikes!

Last edited:

touhoufan90

Today we'd like to show you Monie's favorite doll, Silas the knight.

It shoots little swords, sometimes prevent damage and has impeccable hair!

touhoufan90

The most common enemies in The Glitch Fairy are Mister Misters. Since they are present all through the game, we decided to make them look different in every level.

Here are 4 examples of different Mister Misters!

touhoufan90

This week we'd like to show you a graphical update we made for a boss. You can see the earlier version on the left, the beta version in the middle and the final version on the right.
The game is coming along well and we can't wait to show you more!

touhoufan90

To make our world map more interesting, we added a small rotating disk that moves when you walk around the map. It shows the appearance of the selected level in greater detail.

Last edited:

touhoufan90

Hi everyone!

Here is a more detailed version of the world map. You can now see how many collectibles you've collected on the level you have selected.

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
This looks awesome, I love the art style in particular!

I kinda feel like enemies could glitch out more when you glitch them, though... in GM it's a pretty simple thing to achieve, you'd run a bunch of draw_sprite_part() calls using the current sprite / subimage, with a set size for the chunks you draw (16x16 or 8x8), and positions roughly matching the region the sprite covers (e.g. between 0 and sprite_width - sprite_xoffset for the x position, and between 0 and sprite_height - sprite_yoffset for the y position). Axiom Verge did a really good job at making glitching FEEL glitchy, and it basically did exactly this.

My suggestions would be:
  • When you hit an enemy with a glitch shot, have them switch to a "draw myself using the glitch code" state rather than the normal hurt-flash effect... 1 frame might be enough to get the point across.
  • When you have the glitch shot active / for half a second or so after firing a glitch shot, have the player create Symphony of The Night style afterimages using the glitch effect (just create an object with lower depth and limited lifetime at your current position, and have it draw itself using this random glitch effect)

touhoufan90

"I kinda feel like enemies could glitch out more when you glitch them''

This is a great suggestion and thanks for the feedback!

touhoufan90

Hi everyone!

Sometimes you might run out of Glitch fuel, so you will have to rely on your reflexes and platforming skills to finish a level.

Last edited:

touhoufan90

Hi everyone!

Today we'd like to show you another doll from Monie's collection, Tristesse the empress.
She's very aggressive and will attack nearby enemies!

touhoufan90

Hi everyone!

There are a lot of characters in our game and we want to make sure that the players find them as interesting as we do. This is why we added more expressions and poses during dialogue!

Reactions: Yal

touhoufan90

To continue what we posted last week, we'd like to show you more of the updated dialogue poses and expressions.
In this footage, you can see that Monie gets a new artifact, Speedy Feet! We plan to share more information about artifacts soon!

O

Old School Ben

I am very impressed with the progress of this project. You clearly have a stream-lined process for creating new content. I have to ask though, how many people are part of the development team?