GMC Jam Discussion The Fuzzy GMC Jam 41 Discussion Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.
@SilentxxBunny I just caught the video of your stream playing my game. Thanks for that, it was great to see how you managed.
I can't believe I left it out of the credits file but yes, I did create the music myself. I recorded it on the last day of the jam. Glad you enjoyed it.

Pixel-Team

Master of Pixel-Fu
@Micah_DS thank you for your review, (I actually read all your reviews and they are great) and if I circle back around to make a post jam version of Big Miss Steak, (and it's looking like I will) I can promise you this. There will be "More Cowbell."

Where else but the GMC are you going to get such thoughtful analysis on your jam game? Thank you @Micah_DS for writing such in-depth reviews!!

Poizen

It was fine up until I came to the leaning sandy brick tower.
Ah, that is supposed to be an impassable wall. In retrospect I think I made it too climbable. 😬 (The way forward is going down the hole.)

Several people have had trouble with the game so I wish I had made the level and the mechanics easier to figure out.

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
Ah, that is supposed to be an impassable wall. In retrospect I think I made it too climbable. 😬 (The way forward is going down the hole.)
I guess if the tower was leaning left, it would have been much clearer that "no, you're not supposed to climb there".

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
@Micah_DS (and everybody else who voted so far), thanks for the votes and reviews.

I mention you specifically though because you seemed to not get the theme usage of E.T. It isn't exactly that the game is bad(though it is). This wiki page explains it pretty well. The gist of it is that the original was basically a flop. Over-production caused them to throw all the unsold copies in a landfill(hence the endings of my version). And many attribute the whole video game crash of 1983 to this one mistake(some disagree though).

Bart

WiseBart
My reviews and votes are up! I hope the feedback can be of any use. If you have any questions, feel free to let me know!

It's been very interesting to read all the feedback and especially to watch the video playthroughs of our entry.
To make it clear, the title was really meant to be pronounced "future", though in a very specific way 😀
Long story short, I guess the game should've been called "Fyootyah Skate" to avoid any confusion.

bandman28

Oh, shoot, I didn't know about this amaze me jam, I'm gonna be late. Welp, looks like I'm going to have to do a last minute game, seen as there is only 2 days left until the deadline. I'm not going to get any money out of this one...

@Bart You didn't miss anything. The only ending is when you make it to the other side of the city.
In my sleep deprived state, I chucked in the timer to motivate you to move forward more, but failed to add a condition for when it ran out...

I had some family emergency earlier this week which meant anything I had planned this week got ignored. Going to probably try and play some jam games tonight finally. I'll make sure my votes are in on time.

Micah_DS

(The way forward is going down the hole.)
Awesome! I played the game again and I was able to beat it. I added some more comments for you in my vote post, and I bumped your game up a couple more ranks in my votes.

@Micah_DS (and everybody else who voted so far), thanks for the votes and reviews.

I mention you specifically though because you seemed to not get the theme usage of E.T. It isn't exactly that the game is bad(though it is). This wiki page explains it pretty well. The gist of it is that the original was basically a flop. Over-production caused them to throw all the unsold copies in a landfill(hence the endings of my version). And many attribute the whole video game crash of 1983 to this one mistake(some disagree though).
Ahh, I get it now. It makes sense. I was just looking for the theme use IN the game. Even though I read the readme about the original game being a "big flop", my brain didn't make the connection because I wasn't expecting a theme use of that nature.

This brings up something I've wanted to talk about for a few jams now. It's something I started seeing because of my own mistakes in game development, and from reading feedback from everyone. I'm talking about the art of 'getting people on the same page'.

The interesting thing is that people's minds can think so differently. We don't just have different information, we have quite literally developed different patterns of thinking which gives us all kinds of unique perspectives. Because of this, sometimes people have to explain more than they might expect to be sure other people can get on the same page. I think this is one of those situations where you should've been exceedingly clear on your theme usage and said something like, "The original game was a big mistake. Therefore, I have remade A BIG MISTAKE. This is how I've used the theme."

-
OK, switching gears. I also want to talk about @JordanOttesen's Shadow Bouncer.
I read everyone's reviews on it and I'm genuinely curious: Why do so many of you guys say the puzzle design is good? Sure, I'd say there are definitely a few great levels, like level 10, but most levels were a bit broken, in my experience.

Here is one example of what I mean: In level 12, I played it this way on my first two playthroughs..

It wasn't until my third playthrough that I realized you're supposed to go up and wrap around, then drop down. I basically skipped the whole thing.

You might wonder, did I not look at the whole level? How did I not see the 'real' puzzle? Well, I noticed in previous levels that there were plenty of bits to a level that didn't have anything to do with finding the puzzle's solution, or that there were so many ways to position things correctly that I just began to look for the quickest route. So, at this point in the game, I wasn't looking at the entire level as a whole, because I assumed that the whole level didn't matter, since it wasn't all designed to matter.

Sorry for harping on the game so much. It's not because I hate the game - far from it. I think I care about this game too much, or perhaps I just care about puzzle games in general, which is why I'm taking the time to talk about this. I understand that making great puzzles can be very tricky, especially within a game jam timeframe, because they take a lot of time to get right, ensuring they work exactly as intended. So hopefully I'm not being too unfair. I think I've become overly passionate about puzzle games in recent years.. 🤔

Last edited:

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
This brings up something I've wanted to bring up for a few jams now. It's something I started seeing because of my own mistakes in game development, and from reading feedback from everyone. I'm talking about the art of 'getting people on the same page'.

The interesting thing is that people's minds can think so differently. We don't just have different information, we have quite literally developed different patterns of thinking which gives us all kinds of unique perspectives. Because of this, sometimes people have to explain more than they might expect to be sure other people can get on the same page. I think this is one of those situations where you should've been exceedingly clear on your theme usage and said something like, "The original game was a big mistake. Therefore, I have remade A BIG MISTAKE. This is how I've used the theme."
Yup, 100% this is accurate. It is next to impossible to really convey everything you want to everybody out there due to this phenomenon. But certainly I could have done better.

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
I just got Firehammer Audio released, and am about to prepare some download keys of it and Firehammer Input, so they will be ready to go for the end of the voting period. There will be 8 copies of each system given away, one each to 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place in overall rankings, and 5 more for the winners of each category(Use of Theme, Presentation, Story, Concept, and Devlog). Of course I realize that some people are going to end up with extra prizes, so I will be in contact with each of them to determine to whom they would like those to go(hopefully to Jam participants who they thought did well that weren't quite at the top of the lists).

Mr Magnus

Viking King
Well, while it's understandable you don't want to collide with the Amaze Me Jam, I have no such reservations. It is thus my honor to announce:

ROUND 2 OF THE YOYOMARKET IS OVER!
YoYoMarket stopped accepting transactions at noon, and is now closed.

The winner of the second round is Alice, with $5,309,997; a much more reasonable final count than the round 1 results.

The final results of round two are:
InvestorLiquid FundsPortfolio ValueTotal
$0.01​
$5309997.8131​
$5309997.8231​
$0.01​
$982190.4312​
$982190.4412​
$0.00​
$33192.4971​
$33192.4971​
$61.20​
$29023.4564​
$29084.6564​
$0.85​
$23276.0069​
$23276.8569​
$16.62​
$19261.1768​
$19277.7968​
$0.00​
$18294.8480​
$18294.8480​
$0.00​
$11216.5043​
$11216.5043​
$10457.21​
$12.1845​
$10469.3945​
$9984.00​
$18.3040​
$10002.3040​

Here are very crude medals for the top ten places of round 2, and top five places of round 1. Why only five for round 1? Because I'm a clutz that managed to break the round 1 results when patching to round 2 and didn't make a backup, and thus only have the top five.

I can only post ten, so here are the top 5 for either round. For places 6-10 of round 2 refer to this imgur album

Some additional fun statistics:

• There were 2597 transactions made in round one, and 450 in round 2.
  • The database generated 524290 "value" records to keep track of the value of stocks. In round two the system created 262445 records.
  • The most active trader in round 1 was Bandman28, with 988 transactions made. The second most active investor was Evanski with 380 transactions.
  • The most active trader in round 2 was Alice with 246 transactions. The second most active investor was Pat with 127
  • Over the three weeks the yoyomarket was online my server served a grand total of 14.97Gb. This is a noticeable jump from the 50Mb it served in the entire month of May.
  • The database weighs in at about 46Mb.

This has been great fun, and I think the most successful thing I've ever made on my own. I am extremely humbled that you took so well to this idea I graciously stole. When I find the time I'll start working on the permanent YoYoMarket. We'll see how far along I'll be for the next jam. If you have ideas, tips, suggestions, or ways to remove money *out* of the system to prevent hyperinflation I'm all ears!

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
YoYo Market might not have been the game I ranked the highest this Jam, but it definitely was the one I was the most invested in (at least in the second round).
(though to be fair, some of the headlines and general website support were kinda post-Jam, but still it was fun)

bandman28

YoYoCoin Market was probably one of my favorites in this jam. It was a simple stock market and trading game that allowed us to invest in stocks without the danger of losing any real money, and in the end, my hard work was rewarded with a nice banner. Plus, it was a game I could play in class without anyone noticing 😁 Great job, @Mr Magnus!

The winner of the second round is Alice, with $5,309,997; a much more reasonable final count than the round 1 results.
Congratulations, @Alice! How did you do it? Speech!

I finally got around to finalizing my rankings and posting votes. I haven't made a list of the timestamps for the stream VODs where all the games were played, but I'll take care of that either later today or this evening.

Very appreciative of the one-day extension for covering my lazy bum on this one!
Me too. I suppose I should make good use of it to spell-check my reviews, decide on my nominations for the superlative awards, and round up some time stamps.

Wow, I wasn't expecting to win an award. I have so many people I want to thank! @Mr Magnus, of course, for inventing YoYoCoin Market. @EvanSki and @Alice for hosting the GMC Jam. @TehPilot for raiding me on Twitch. Mom, Dad, God, and everyone who tuned into my streams and/or submitted a game! I really enjoyed playing, and reviewing all of your wonderful creations this past week. I'm looking forward to the next one!

Last edited:

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
Congratulations, @Alice! How did you do it? Speech!
Just being a bit more active this time round; having long build and reload times at work also helped.
My strategy was mostly boosting the individual games by buying its shares and selling once the boost wore off, just applied with a relatively high frequency. That, and when I saw that things are becoming bleak on the market, I sold off everything (as much as the rounding point error allowed me) and kept the cash until things eased down (that said, some market crashes caught me off-guard during sleep).

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
Error in "GMCJam41.exe"
line 176: syntax error: unexpected end of file
BEGINING DUMP......
Code:
/* C:\Users\Evan\gmcjam\41\reward (6/23/2021 1:48:22 PM)
   StartOffset(h): 00000000, EndOffset(h): 0000004B, Length(h): 0000004C */

unsigned char rawData[76] = {
    NzcgNjEgNzQgNjMgNjggM2YgNzYgM2QgNmYgNjYgNGIgNDEgNGIgNzAgNTIgNDUgNWYgMmQgNDk=
};

Status
Not open for further replies.