GMC Jam Discussion The Fuzzy GMC Jam 41 Discussion Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
And @Alice, I actually did make an "Utter Madness" animation on the top right screen, but I only show it on the second level, since there are no utters on level 1. (I never let a good pun go to waste! ;))
I know, I've seen that animation on the second level. I was just wondering because a more directly punny spelling would be "Udder Madness" rather than "Utter Madness". But that could have been too much on the nose, maybe?

Pixel-Team

Master of Pixel-Fu
I know, I've seen that animation on the second level. I was just wondering because a more directly punny spelling would be "Udder Madness" rather than "Utter Madness". But that could have been too much on the nose, maybe?
Yeah, I think you're right. It would have been too much on the nose... I guess I blew it. :D

SoapSud39

and nice non-pixelated graphics, too. ;)
ahh, my plan worked perfectly!
Also, when the shark mentioned the rabbit becoming fish food, I thought it would be the shark eating the rabbit, not the rabbit just being thrown into water? Or maybe the shark wouldn't stoop so low to eat such a poor quality employee?
If I'm not mistaken, 'becoming fish food' is yakuza lingo for tying someone up and throwing them in the bay (or at least in media like manga and anime), so that's where the whole fish food thing came from. The fact that the shark is a fish is purely coincidental, since he's the loan shark haha.

Bearman_18

Fruit Stand Deadbeat
Thanks everyone who reviewed my game so far! I've seen a lot of excellent feedback.
Also, @Pixel-Team It's the door that makes the Bear mad, not the bomb alarm. That said, I wonder if I should change it. Make it so the Bomb Guy is fighting off intruders by shooting into the door, and instead of putting the conveyor bombs on a timer, just have the alarm keep blaring until the Bear explodes (doesn't make much sense, but it would be more comedic if the Bear canonically explodes before the bombs do). Then I could add @Alice's idea of letting the Bomb Guy exit the defuser between bombs...

I dunno, ya'll have given me a lot to think about!

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
listen @Pixel-Team if you were to buy a bit of evan stock every minute or so, just enough to get it to keep rising, we both could profit from the exploit of buying makes stocks raise a bit

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
Thanks everyone who reviewed my game so far! I've seen a lot of excellent feedback.
Also, @Pixel-Team It's the door that makes the Bear mad, not the bomb alarm. That said, I wonder if I should change it. Make it so the Bomb Guy is fighting off intruders by shooting into the door, and instead of putting the conveyor bombs on a timer, just have the alarm keep blaring until the Bear explodes (doesn't make much sense, but it would be more comedic if the Bear canonically explodes before the bombs do). Then I could add @Alice's idea of letting the Bomb Guy exit the defuser between bombs...

I dunno, ya'll have given me a lot to think about!
Im still willing to buy you a mobile license so I can play this game on my phone

Bearman_18

Fruit Stand Deadbeat
Im still willing to buy you a mobile license so I can play this game on my phone
I fully intend to take you up on that, believe me. XD I'll let you know when I intend to start on that project, which will be soon.
I might do the Amaze Me Jam first.

Poizen

Shroom Boy by Poizen
Got stuck between two trees just after starting and couldn't work out how to get past it. Seems like an impossible part of the level?
Hmm, do you mean the tall tree and the purple tree? Because the idea is to grab onto the green mossy patches on the sides of the trees with space.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Hmm, do you mean the tall tree and the purple tree? Because the idea is to grab onto the green mossy patches on the sides of the trees with space.
Yep, that's the bit. I just couldn't get past it... I didn't realise that you could grab the moss! I'll go back and play again...

Pixel-Team

Master of Pixel-Fu
I gave Alice a couple of stock buying tips... She decided to turn into Icarus...and fly straight into the SUN. I'm on my way to stop her now. Just sit back, kids. Daddy's on his way.

On the bright side, we just might overtake Bitcoin!

@Mr Magnus Sorry about all this... Bet you wish you had that zoom feature for your graph right about now...

Last edited:

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
I just wanted to make sure that BOOM stocks would perform well, and ended up buying enough to meet this goal. I didn't expect the stocks would soar *that* high. ^^'

(though not gonna lie, I find it pretty amazing how now the starting players can't purchase even a single BOOM stock....)

Mr Magnus

Viking King
Oh, what fresh hell is this?

I leave you two to your own devices for a couple of hours while I take my dog to my parents, and suddenly there are *two* vertical walls on my graph!

Guess I'll have to start working on that filterable graph on the yoyocoin website so other players have a chance telling how anything other than @STEA and @Boom are doing. While I'm at it I might bump up the decimal resolution a couple orders of magnitude. You're getting dangerously close to the current maximum of $9,999,999,999.99

I think the fact these three headlines are on the feed currently is extremely appropriate:

1622991757303.png

Pixel-Team

Master of Pixel-Fu
I'm just as shocked and disgusted as you, @Mr Magnus. Take the money away from us! Please! It's a sickness! With doctors and everything! ***EDIT*** Wait a minute. You're going to up our money limit? Woohoo!

Last edited:

bandman28

Lol I will never understand stock markets
Now that people have gotten into the billions, I've given away all hope that I'll make it into the top 3
I QUIT!
Unless I get some stock tips, which would be nice.
btw, there are 2 lines on my graph now, is that a glitch?
Also, I might just buy @STEA and let someone else do the work

Last edited:

Mr Magnus

Viking King
btw, there are 2 lines on my graph now, is that a glitch?
Nope. That would be the result of market manipulation by the top two investors. They have so much money that anything they invest in skyrockets in price, dwarfing anything else.

To filter out the extremely boosted stocks you can go to the website. The graph at the bottom of the page allows you to filter out specific stocks, so you can actually tell apart the stocks that are not boosted beyond saving.

Unless I get some stock tips, which would be nice.
Two tips:

1 ) The people who are at the top realized something very important about how their actions affect prices

2 ) The more money you have, the easier making new money is.

Last edited:

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
Nope. That would be the result of market manipulation by the top two investors. They have so much money that anything they invest in skyrockets in price, dwarfing anything else.

To filter out the extremely boosted stocks you can go to the website. The graph at the bottom of the page allows you to filter out specific stocks, so you can actually tell apart the stocks that are not boosted beyond saving.

Two tips:

1 ) The people who are at the top realized something very important about how their actions affect prices

2 ) The more money you have, the easier making new money is.
Not Found
The requested resource was not found on this server.

also when you buy stock it raises a bit
so dump all your money into the cheapest stock, wait around 30mins and sell at around 2x the price you bought at, repeat while avoiding news about stock price drops, but seeing as pat and alice has destroyed all hope, i personally feel its not able to be played any more

Mr Magnus

Viking King
That darned trailing slash. Why I don't just include it in the routing regex is beyond me, but at this point it's stubbornness.

i personally feel its not able to be played any more

No worries. I'm going to patch up that specific issue in the post-jam version. For a two week experiment I don't mind game-breaking exploits, but if this is supposed to be a long-term community thing I'd rather not have people being able to exponentially print money quite so easily.

Last edited:

bandman28

Not Found
The requested resource was not found on this server.

also when you buy stock it raises a bit
so dump all your money into the cheapest stock, wait around 30mins and sell at around 2x the price you bought at, repeat while avoiding news about stock price drops, but seeing as pat and alice has destroyed all hope, i personally feel its not able to be played any more
Shoot, time to rush to the market before all the stocks explode
And it seems more like 1.08x by how fast I'm earning

Last edited:

bandman28

wait I just realized there is a totally better way of getting money than buying cheep stocks
Instead of working hard and selling and buying, I'm just going to buy at/BOOM and let my stocks double painlessly.
Ah, there's nothing like leeching off other people's work, and get paid for it.

Last edited:

Bart

WiseBart
While I haven't been able to complete my playthroughs of all games just yet, I'd like to thank everyone who played our entry already. It's been interesting to read the comments (and see people play it).

@Alice Very pleasantly surprised by that second place! Thank you! 😄

By the way... I really liked the disco song. At the skate park, Bart may be called a poser, but you can't say he's not a good composer.
Thank you! I'd definitely be a poser in a skate park context, though in the past I could actually perform a fairly decent ollie 😉

I'd have liked to have a bit more of an idea of what the challenges to do were, and I don't know if there is a game-over state, since I feel I completed all the challenges but nothing happend. I got GMCJAM, and SPHERE, I got the Red DOt thing, I got the dico ball, I got the monument. Not sure if there's anything else to get!
It's possible to press Tab while playing to toggle the list of goals. That also shows completion.
Not sure if you also found the hidden Jam Pot? That is the last one of the six goals that made it in.
A different sound plays when you collect one of the GMCJAM letters. That causes the door at the back of the bank building to open (the wall that's there before you collect the letter is a bit different than the others, it has some metal decoration on it). Inside that hidden area is the Hidden Jam Pot.
After all goals are completed the doors below the sign that reads "The fjootjah is t'day!" open. The final location can be accessed through there (where a little reunion awaits as a tiny reward).

Going to try to have my votes and feedback up soon as well!

@Roldy
I had alot of fun and it is just a straight classic arcade concept. I also like the presentation and style
Glad you enjoyed it, I've wanted to make something like this for quite awhile and this jam theme gave me a good opportunity. My interpretation of the theme led me to create a simple story, which then in turn informed my gameplay.

• The controls where not intuitive to figure out and it took me too long to find the control explanation and I accidently skipped past it twice trying to get past the pointless text
    • ESC to skip pointless words also skips the control explanation
    • If you instead spam a key to skip pointless words you can skip right past the control explanation
Text isn't pointless, and it is quite short. You can cycle through it in seconds, then see the controls. On subsequent playthroughs(if one is so inclined), then the skip is there exactly for this reason, so you can get right to the action.
Did you want a separate skip prompt for the intro text and for the controls screen? Because that's adding a further delay to the action...

• Transitions on title and menu are too slow
    • I hate waiting on the fade out for your logo and menu
    • Don't do that to me
Ideally, you'll only really see the logo screen the once. The menu transitions are half a second, sorry if that's too long for you.

• Pointless words that I am forced to skip
    • If you want to make a game with a story then integrate the story into the game
    • This is an arcade game. I want to play, not read
    • Anything that doesn't promote or aid (or at the very least not impede) playing is trash that should be removed
Again, not pointless, and no one is forcing you to skip. The story is integrated into the game... via the short intro and ending messages. It is a valid integration.
No one is forcing you to read 5 short lines of text.
None of this actually impedes the gameplay, so this last point is irrelevant.

Roldy

Again, not pointless, and no one is forcing you to skip. The story is integrated into the game... via the short intro and ending messages. It is a valid integration.
No one is forcing you to read 5 short lines of text.
None of this actually impedes the gameplay, so this last point is irrelevant.

I would suggest you re-read the feedback. While most of it is in fact my own personal preference, rest assured they are not mine alone.

However, I want you to receive the point about the beginning text and control explanation placement.

When I started the game and saw the message to skip (was thankful for it) and I quickly pressed ESC. I did not see the control explanation because it is also skipped. I want to skip the pointless stuff, not the important stuff like instructions.
I exited after I could not figure out the controls, hoping to find a menu option that would show them. Did not find anything useful.
I then started the game hoping that there was an in game help option and once again pressed ESC to skip the text blather.
Found nothing useful.
I restarted once again dreading the realization that the text I have been skipping might contain useful information buried inside it.
After a couple screens of text and seeing that it was useless I rapidly spammed through the text, only barely noticing the last screen with the control info, but I spammed right passed it.
So I once again restarted and had to slowly skip through the mess to get to the useful info.

This is my experience with your game. I hope this feedback helps you in the future.

EDIT: If this had not been a jam game where I was mindfully being lenient I would have closed and never opened the game again after the second restart.
If this would have been a demo it would have convinced me not to get the full game.
If this would have been a purchase I would have refunded it after the second restart.

I played your game and liked it. But I would have never gotten that far due to the poor introduction.

Last edited:

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
I would suggest you re-read the feedback. While most of it is in fact my own personal preference, rest assured they are not mine alone.
sorry but just a question, who else has the same comments as you?
as I only see the main comment being about the controls and difficulty, nothing about the text or skipping accidently

from your comments It seems like you are just a very impatient person and or rushing through all the jam games.

Pixel-Team

Master of Pixel-Fu
as I only see the main comment being about the controls and difficulty, nothing about the text or skipping accidently

from your comments It seems like you are just a very impatient person and or rushing through all the jam games.
Opinions are those of the reviewer. @Roldy DID rank I, T'kemsa 2nd place, after all. It's all good in the neighborhood! :D

Roldy

I refuse to eat a hot dog on white sliced bread with frikk'n ketchup on it. While this is in fact my own personal preference, rest assured it is not mine alone.

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
Opinions are those of the reviewer. @Roldy DID rank I, T'kemsa 2nd place, after all. It's all good in the neighborhood! :D
Of course, I mean no wrong doing I was just generally confused, thinking that there may be some reviews missing or such.

I refuse to eat a hot dog on white sliced bread with frikk'n ketchup on it. While this is in fact my own personal preference, rest assured it is not mine alone.
neto.

Pixel-Team

Master of Pixel-Fu
I can't even pronounce how much money I have. If it's any consolation, I feel horrible about the whole thing.

bandman28

I can't even pronounce how much money I have. If it's any consolation, I feel horrible about the whole thing.
You have $99735491195118488095834.46, or pronounced out loud:
*deep breath"
99 billion trillion, 735 million trillion, 491 thousand trillion, 195 trillion, 118 billion, 488 million, 95 thousand, and 834 dollars and 46 cents.

Mr Magnus

Viking King
You have $99 735 491 195 118 488 095 834.46, or pronounced out loud:
*deep breath"
99 billion trillion, 735 million trillion, 491 thousand trillion, 195 trillion, 118 billion, 488 million, 95 thousand, and 834 dollars and 46 cents.
Or, if you prefer the long scale used in some countries, mine included:

99 trilliards, 735 trillions, 491 billiards, 195 billions, 118 milliards, 488 millions, 95 thousand, 834 dollars and 46 cents.

Pixel-Team

Master of Pixel-Fu
You make it sound so excessive! According to @Mr Magnus, I don't even have half the digits that he allowed for in his program. I only have 25 digits, presently. I say, let's see what this baby can really do!

Mr Magnus

Viking King
You make it sound so excessive! According to @Mr Magnus, I don't even have half the digits that he allowed for in his program. I only have 25 digits, presently. I say, let's see what this baby can really do!
It's 65 digit accurate. Cut two out for the decimal places (which really should be more precise given how small of a share you can buy now. Dumping millions in to boom won't even net you a 0.01 share) and you can have a maximum liquid fund of $999.999.999.999.999.999.999.999.999.999.999.999.999.999.999.999.999.999.999.999.999.999,99

Presumably your total value could be much larger when combined with the sum total of all the companies. However I do believe the entire system will probably have long collapsed before you get to that point.

Pixel-Team

Master of Pixel-Fu
If anyone wants to make a lot of YoyoCoins, better go all in on @BOUN (That is, if you can afford to buy any of it.) Its currently the cheapest coin. I'm about to go all in...

Mr Magnus

Viking King
So... Fun news.

For a good few minutes *nothing* on my server was responding. SSH connections got timed out, the Cpanel dashboard didn't load, and my other websites on that domain loaded in painfully slow. Everything other than yoyocoin seems to be waking up again but whatever happened was pretty monumental.

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
So... Fun news.

For a good few minutes *nothing* on my server was responding. SSH connections got timed out, the Cpanel dashboard didn't load, and my other websites on that domain loaded in painfully slow. Everything other than yoyocoin seems to be waking up again but whatever happened was pretty monumental.

Mr Magnus

Viking King
SO: I've found out what the issue for the website is. Round(x,2) does *not* work if "x" is 'decimal(2.036886636491610427138026204E+35)'. The more we learn, eh?

Edit: Ok: website back online. I'm going to... very carefully..... call updatePrice manually and see what happens. Wish me luck

Edit 2: Didn't crash, so that's nice.

Last edited:

Mr Magnus

Viking King
So, it seems to be alive again and the prices seem to be updating ok... for now.

* I've put in what I hope is a reasonable limit that the supply and demand loop doesn't increase the price by more than ten thousand times the base price: like, that's already excessive I feel, but we were already an order of magnitude above that and a good half order more.

* I've removed any rounding from the server because obviously we've outgrown that here in money printing land.

* I've taken a backup of the database just in case, but I think this isn't a database thing so I'm not worried about it.

* The price also updates every two minutes now instead of every minute for the illusion of server stability.

* I've also taken a large whiteboard, written "yoyocoin market: post jam version" at the top, and in big bold letters written "NOTE: NO ARTIFICIAL SYSTEMS THAT CAN BOOST THE PRICE ABOVE 100 MILLION".

I am now going to sit and wait for my hosting provider to send me an email asking what the hell I've been up to.

Edit: Still up, and still updating if a bit slower than before. I think we're in the clear at least from this particular boat-crash. I am going to risk heading off to sleep so I can be useful at work tomorrow. Hopefully we can make it trough another day. Good night!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.