GMC Jam Discussion The Fuzzy GMC Jam 41 Discussion Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Magnus

Viking King
Ok. I'm getting bored with Van Helsing and much more intriqued with Yoyocoin. May have to be a double entry this time around, neither of which will be very good.

Quick question however for any moderators or admins hanging about: does a simulated stock market with online capabilities (in that everyone is seeing and interacting with the same graph) involving absolutely nothing of financial value to anyone constitute gambling? I'd rather not spend time writing much server infrastructure only to be at risk of having my entry removed for breaking forum rules.

@Alice, @GameDevDan , @TsukaYuriko

The post in question that will inspire the game for reference:
If you're stuck for ideas, or not vibing with your current idea, here's one.
I don't have the time to enter the jam but if I was going to, this is what I'd make (so the idea is free if you want it lol).

Introducing Yoyo coin: Is it a big mistake to invest? Find out.

Mr Magnus

Viking King
Since when do we have a forum rule about not posting games that (very vaguely) resemble gambling?
Odd, I felt like there was one. Maybe I'm mixing it up with some other forum or EULA or TOS or whatnot.

But good to know, time to open my unofficially official GMC virtual hedge fund.

Mr Magnus

Viking King
@Pelican Police

We have a functioning graph polling a (currently local) server. I'm jumping back and forth between this and the vampire game I'm kind-of-but-not-really bored of. You better be a very active investor for inspiring me to make
a GMC stock market of all things....

1622304964147.png

Mr Magnus

Viking King
Game done and uploaded!!! Please tell me if you stream or Let's Play it, I cannot wait to hear your feedback!
It's been over 5 years since I last used GM, so this was definitely refreshing and fun!!!

Thanks!
Tried it out. Love it. Can't believe you managed to release the game on this many consoles in just a few days!

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Made a mistake of a game that will surely win this jam...

So, I really wanted to enter this jam, but sadly have very little time this weekend. However, I did happen to have most of Saturday free, so i decided that I would embrace the theme of a "BIG MISTAKE" and try and make a game using GameMaker 1! Yes, the version from 1999! AND I DID IT! Was it a mistake...? Well, probably, as it took me most of the day to get the thing to an actual playable state, BUT it's a 100% full and finished game. It might even be considered "fun"... although possibly not... 😅

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
Odd, I felt like there was one. Maybe I'm mixing it up with some other forum or EULA or TOS or whatnot.

But good to know, time to open my unofficially official GMC virtual hedge fund.
Technically speaking, seeing as no one puts real life money into the game to cause any sort of game play effect, its not in any way gambling.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
My biggest mistake was not checking the forum regularly, I didn't even know there was a jam! So now I'm scrambling to get something done in a 48-hour limit. With any luck, it's something actually playable for once.

(so far a lot of time has been spent on 3D assets and getting SMF to work properly with my existing 3D code)

Yozoraki

Just "finished" my assignments. Let's just say the submission for my last assignment probably fits the jam theme pretty well 😅
Now to see if I can pull together a jam game in time! :D

The M

That is neat. Is there going to be some kind of indicated as far as which shape to draw for more damage or something like that?
I will probably need some kind of tutorial for this. 😄 You draw circles for damage, triangles for debuffs and rectangles to freeze enemies. Include yourself in the shape and you get different effects (knock back, buff, healing). Once the ring is charged you can draw a star for a super attack.

Mr Magnus

Viking King
I've just got invited to a hike that probably will take a few hours, so expect my two entries to be even more rushed and barebones than they already were.

Poizen

I've uploaded my game.

At first I was thinking along the lines of: scientists mistakenly create a monster mutant mushroom, mushroom takes revenge on scientists. Then I scaled it back, and now the lore is all in the background and it's revealed as you move forward. And there are random pop culture references. It's a bit all over the place.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
So I kinda ran out of time budget thanks to pesky technical issues, but luckily I noticed this in time thanks to my planning and deployed plan B.

1622404383060.png
A Mario clone with a twist! Can't wait to watch people stream this and get completely blindsided :p

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
So I kinda ran out of time budget thanks to pesky technical issues, but luckily I noticed this in time thanks to my planning and deployed plan B.

View attachment 40276
A Mario clone with a twist! Can't wait to watch people stream this and get completely blindsided :p
So I've seen a few things done with things like this. Some are something like a really hard mode, with hidden blocks that make you die and the like. Another one someone made had all the bad things be good and vice versa(so you had to avoid coins for example, and falling simply made you appear at the top). Then there was the one that you had to do it all backwards, from the final boss on back. I'm now insanely curious what YOU are dong with this.

Reactions: Yal

Pixel-Team

Master of Pixel-Fu

View attachment 40276
I see they have guns. I always wanted to do a Mario game with guns... I'm very interested in seeing this one!

Mr Magnus

Viking King
It's been five years since I did a game jam... is it normal to feel super confident at the start, then feel like you're an embarrassment by the end?
That's me with every project I do, even outside the jam. Thankfully I'm not the judge on those things, and neither should you be. Post whatever you got and it's going to fit right in!

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
That's me with every project I do, even outside the jam. Thankfully I'm not the judge on those things, and neither should you be. Post whatever you got and it's going to fit right in!
Not to put a downer on anyone, but from being apart of the few jams I have, I learned my game could always be worse

Pixel-Team

Master of Pixel-Fu
It's been five years since I did a game jam... is it normal to feel super confident at the start, then feel like you're an embarrassment by the end?
My first Jam game bombed miserably. It was in the GMC37, called 'It Hungers.' I remember prancing around thinking, 'man, this game is gonna be so cool!' Then I watched someone stream it, and they said my controls were 'abysmal.' And they WERE. In fact, the game was absolute 💩💩💩💩e. It was so bad that even the most laid back reviewers were sending me death threats. And even THAT game scored 40 out of 52. The moral of the story is don't beat yourself up. If your game doesn't crash upon launch, you'll do fine.

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
Not to put a downer on anyone, but from being apart of the few jams I have, I learned my game could always be worse
LOL, It could have ultra-creepy clowns :)

@Ericbomb This is only my 3rd Jam. My first was like 10 years ago, did a Ludum Dare using Unity. My second one was the GMC Jam three months ago. So I'm also pretty new at the Jam thing. It takes a different skillset to be actually good at it...I don't have that skill set.

Toque

My first Jam game bombed miserably. It was in the GMC37, called 'It Hungers.' I remember prancing around thinking, 'man, this game is gonna be so cool!' Then I watched someone stream it, and they said my controls were 'abysmal.' And they WERE. In fact, the game was absolute ****e. It was so bad that even the most laid back reviewers were sending me death threats. And even THAT game scored 40 out of 52. The moral of the story is don't beat yourself up. If your game doesn't crash upon launch, you'll do fine.
That girl running around the school game?? Wasn’t that bad.

Bearman_18

Fruit Stand Deadbeat
THERE WILL BE BOMBS

A game in which you simultaneously play as two characters who have to deal with bombs and each other.

Micah_DS

Oops, uh... the boss music spoken of in our game post exists, just not in the game, ahaha, it appears a small mistake has been made there (EDIT: Just found out it was GameMaker's fault when compiling, wow). There is still time to fix it, but my teammates have the code and I think they've both already called it a night, so just pretend the following track is playing in the background when fighting the boss :p :

https://soundcloud.com/frznfire%2Fgmc-jam-41-boss

Last edited:

Micah_DS

I just tried out a game idea where you play as a guy making a big mistake in thinking he has time to make another short game with only a few hours left till the jam deadline... 👀 so it's a game about coding with a super time crunch, and managing all of the mistakes being made while coding frantically:

(click for full image)

I'm not going to upload or finish it though; The gameplay gif is all that's worth sharing, because it plays very poorly, despite my efforts to make the controls more intuitive. I don't see it as a loss though, because it was fun trying to come up with stupid humor for 'good' and 'bad' code. 😝

Bart

WiseBart
Our entry is done! With, quite uniquely, just about everything that was planned in it.
With that it's time to broaden the horizons again and see the games everyone's been making. Looking forward to playing them!

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
Alright Jammers! You have around 10 minutes for any last emergency submission then I'll close the games topic as that would be an extra 2 hours over the dead line you've had :)

Mercerenies

Alright Jammers! You have around 10 minutes for any last emergency submission then I'll close the games topic as that would be an extra 2 hours over the dead line you've had :)
Only two extra hours? Yeesh, Evan, I didn't realize you were going to be such a fascist when you took over the Jam.

Mr Magnus

Viking King
Right, It's time to come clean.

.... I've taken the liberty of putting all the enteries in the jam up for sale in my YoYoCoin market. You can now try to make a quick fake buck by buying shares in other people games (or your own) and hoping the prices will go up and down.

I've included everyone I could see a download link for in the game topic. If I forgot you and you want to have your game be a part of this send me a message, and likewise if you don't want anything to do with it and I should remove your game from the listing.

This was a weird but fun jam. Can't wait to play all your games!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.