GMC Jam Discussion The Fuzzy GMC Jam 41 Discussion Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
Grr.. someone just invited me camping this weekend. I have only ever competed in one GMC Jam. I am looking forward to doing this one. I feel like it would be A BIG MISTAKE to not going camping, as well as A BIG MISTAKE to not do the jam.... :(
Could always make a game while camping ;)

Mr Magnus

Viking King
I don't look at the thread nearly enough. It's hard to catch up!

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Isn't it technically three days?
Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday... yup. Three days, unless you are rounding down.
Ah, the good-old fencepost problem.

In one day (24 hours from now) it is a Wednsday. In two days (48 hour time) it is Thursday. The jam starts noon Thursday. Therefore in two days the jam will have started, and in fact six hours have gone by of the allotted 96 hour time.

bandman28

In one day (24 hours from now) it is a Wednsday. In two days (48 hour time) it is Thursday. The jam starts noon Thursday. Therefore in two days the jam will have started, and in fact six hours have gone by of the allotted 96 hour time.
Haha, oops, I was thinking that today was Monday 🤣

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
One neat difference between this one and the last one, that only affects people in my timezone or close, is that I can actually do some stuff with my entry the last few hours before it ends. It starts at noon on Thursday and ends at noon on Monday(this timezone, CST, Central USA). Normally that would mean I would have to finish Sunday night(or attempt to wake up early Monday before work which wouldn't help and would actually hurt honestly). But since this Monday just happens to be Memorial Day, I'm off work, so I can get up at a normal 7 or 8AM and get a few hours in up to the deadline. That's f-ckin awesome!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT.... see below post if it matters. I don't know why I suddenly got this thought...I'm....just wrong here. It is 7AM, not noon. Oops....

Last edited:

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
I thought it was noon to noon UTC? (somewhere in Europe) which would make it about 7AM in Central
(and 5AM for those of us on the west coast)
DAMMIT....I don't know why I got that wrong. The worst part is that I had made an appointment thing on my Google Calender thing at the proper time 7AM....

Just ignore me...I don't know what the hell I'm thinking.

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
I thought it was noon to noon UTC? (somewhere in Europe) which would make it about 7AM in Central
(and 5AM for those of us on the west coast)
DAMMIT....I don't know why I got that wrong. The worst part is that I had made an appointment thing on my Google Calender thing at the proper time 7AM....

Just ignore me...I don't know what the hell I'm thinking.
May 27th 12:00 UTC - May 31st, 2021 12:00 UTC

even if i make the topic late

Roldy

My current plan is to try and make a game in about 12 hours. Jam starts 2AM my time, and I am leaving for camping around 4PM. So that is 12 hours to make a game then 2 hours for last minute scramble to camp.

RollyBug

@EvanSki challenged me to solve the theme programmatically
JavaScript:
console.log("Loading dictionary...");
var dict = JSON.parse(fs.readFileSync("words_dictionary.json").toString());
console.log("Done.");

var count = 0;
var possibilities = [];

function printAllKLength(set, k) {
  let n = set.length;
  printAllKLengthRec(set, "", n, k);
}

// The main recursive method to get all possible strings of length k
function printAllKLengthRec(set, prefix ,n, k) {
  count++;
  if (count % 1000000 === 0)
    console.log(count / 1000000 + 'm')
  // Base case: k is 0, return prefix
  if (k == 0) {
    solveJam(prefix)
      return;
  }

//One by one add all characters from set and recursively call for k equals to k-1
  for (let i = 0; i < n; ++i) {
    //Next character of input added
    let newPrefix = prefix + set[i];

//k is decreased, because we have added a new character
    printAllKLengthRec(set, newPrefix, n, k - 1);
  }
}

function generateLetterCombos() {
    let set1=[' ', 'a', 'b', 'c', 'd,', 'e', 'f', 'g', 'h', 'i', 'j', 'k', 'l', 'm', 'n', 'o', 'p', 'q', 'r', 's', 't', 'u', 'v', 'w', 'x', 'y', 'z'];
    let k = 6;
    printAllKLength(set1, k);
    console.log(possibilities);
}

String.prototype.replaceAt = function(index, replacement) {
  return this.substr(0, index) + replacement + this.substr(index + replacement.length);
}

function solveJam(input) {
  var puzzle = "a_i_ m_s___e";
  const blanks = [1, 3, 6, 8, 9, 10]

for (i = 0; i < 6; i++) {
    puzzle = puzzle.replaceAt(blanks[i], input.charAt(i));
  }

//every word has to be in the dictionary
  var words = puzzle.split(" ");
  var pass = true;
  for (w = 0; w < words.length; w++) {
    if (w in dict) {}
    else {
      pass = false;
      break;
    }
  }
  if (pass == true) {
    console.log(input);
    possibilities.push(input);
  }
}

generateLetterCombos();

It checks about 1 million permutations per second to see if they form real words. If there's 27^6 total permutations it should finish in about 6.5 hours. I'd be left with a list of possible solutions.

The program is only single-threaded, so I could potentially take advantage of all 12 of my virtual cores to get that down to about 30m, but I don't really feel like it lol.

So yeah, it won't be done before the jam starts, sorry :p

Last edited:

Ericbomb

... is it bad manners to share the list I managed to make?

Code:
massage massive message mestome miscite miscode misdate misdone misease misfare misfile misfire misgave misgive misgone mishmee mislike mislive mismade mismake mismate mismove misname mispage misrate misrule missile missive mistake mistime mistune mistype misyoke moselle muscone muscose musette musique muskone muspike
Code:
ajis axil axis akin avid abid acid ahis alif amid avis ayin amia amie amin amir amis adit agin agio arid alia alit anil anis aria aril aris
Also hi! I haven't done a game jam since the GMC forums migrated from the old site (I think that was 5 years ago?). I made a new account to see what's up and see one is about to start, so I guess fate demands I participate.

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
Where u at @EvanSki? Les dooodis!

If announcing the theme was like delivering a Domino's Pizza, I'd definitely be negotiating a discount right about now.
So sorry everyone! I overslept! Had these horrible dreams about helping Nocturne kill Dan or something.
Either way @Alice swooped in and saved the day like she always does :)

GAMES TOPIC IS NOW OPEN!

Pixel-Team

Master of Pixel-Fu
So sorry everyone! I overslept! Had these horrible dreams about helping Nocturne kill Dan or something.
Either way @Alice swooped in and saved the day like she always does :)

GAMES TOPIC IS NOW OPEN!
I'm willing to bet that most everyone who was ready to go assumed it was A BIG MISTAKE and jumped right in. Some may have even took a gamble and produced some assets ahead of time... Not me of course. That's highly unethical, and shame on you for thinking it. Anyhow, no harm, no foul. We're off to the races. Best of luck, everyone!

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
So my logic has been vindicated, and the theme was as I assumed. Of course the only thing I did ahead of time was try to think of an idea...which as I mentioned last night finally hit me. It is based off of another famous big mistake...my only issue is going to be if everybody here happens to know this mistake....I guess we will find out as people play the entries.

Pixel-Team

Master of Pixel-Fu
https//wwwtwitchtv/videos/1037230020

Stream 2 is done, think im done streaming for today, will stream tomorrow
All this time I was pronouncing it 'Eh-Van-Sky,' instead of 'Eh-Van-Skee.' Is that weird? I guess I just thought with a capital S in Ski, the word 'Sky' made more sense to me. Anyhow, cool stuff. I'd watch the whole thing but I just put in 12 hours myself and I'm so burnt out right now I could slip into a coma. No more Rum Chata as coffee creamer for me, I guess! 😃

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
All this time I was pronouncing it 'Eh-Van-Sky,' instead of 'Eh-Van-Skee.' Is that weird? I guess I just thought with a capital S in Ski, the word 'Sky' made more sense to me. Anyhow, cool stuff. I'd watch the whole thing but I just put in 12 hours myself and I'm so burnt out right now I could slip into a coma. No more Rum Chata as coffee creamer for me, I guess! 😃
Make sure to take breaks and not burn your self before the end!

If you're stuck for ideas, or not vibing with your current idea, here's one.
I don't have the time to enter the jam but if I was going to, this is what I'd make (so the idea is free if you want it lol).

Introducing Yoyo coin: Is it a big mistake to invest? Find out.

Objective
Make as much money as possible by the end of the Jam voting period

How it works
Everyone sees the same graph, that updates over time (uses a specific random seed).
The graph would be moving fast enough that you could make quick bets and play in real time, riding the waves, but it would only be for small gains.
The big gains/losses come from the "Kritter feed" where events happen that drastically change the value of yoyo coin.
This would encourage you to leave the window open and watch out for events.

Scoring
There would be a scoreboard for how much money you'd made vs everyone else, and at the end of the Jam's voting period, the scoreboard would stop accepting new data. A permanent hall of fame for those that played

Anti cheat
It would poll some clock on the internet so you couldn't just set your system time forward and see what events unfold.
The save file would also have to be encrypted / + hash checked so you couldn't just set your money to a new value.

Mr Magnus

Viking King
That's an amazing idea. You don't even have to make this all that game maker related, the actual "game" could be little more than a client. The real meat of the action could happen at the back-end server which also prevents cheating. Could be maybe an afternoon of work if you don't care about anything complicated and are comfortable in backend web development.

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
That's an amazing idea. You don't even have to make this all that game maker related, the actual "game" could be little more than a client. The real meat of the action could happen at the back-end server which also prevents cheating. Could be maybe an afternoon of work if you don't care about anything complicated and are comfortable in backend web development.
Each player effects the price of the yoyocoins?

The real meat of the action could happen at the back-end server which also prevents cheating.
If you have the time and knowledge to make a server and get it running, that would be the ideal implementation (because as you said, then it would be impossible to cheat). Are you going to make it? :D

Each player effects the price of the yoyocoins?
I think if it did, it would have to be in addition to simulated forces because I doubt enough people would play it to create meaningful gameplay beyond a pump and dump 😂

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.