GMC Jam Discussion The Frozen GMC Jam 43

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
Just for the record - tests on an old laptop with a 32-bit Windows 10 have shown that:
- the x64 version just doesn't work
- the x86 version works properly after installing the .NET 5 runtime for 32-bit systems

So I'll just include both x64 and x86 versions in the ZIP, the former as "Jam Player.exe" and the latter as "Jam Player (32-bit).exe".
Hopefully few people would need to use the latter in the first place, but since both Jam Player executables together take less space than a single empty room GameMaker game, it shouldn't be too much of a problem (and I'm pretty sure most people here have some basic awareness of the difference between 64-bit and 32-bit versions of programs).

(thanks to @O.Stogden for the tests)

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
Dating sim? When I want to take a break from puzzle games, text-based adventures and visual novels? They won't give me a break... u_u'

(does BROMANCE count as a dating sim theme too? There *was* this optional route in Final Fantasy 7, after all...)
I actually did get the date with Barret once, it was hilarious of course :) Jade Empire is another game where you can romance people of either male or female sexes, I've done both :)

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
The Alpha 0.2 version of the new Jam Player is out!

The package with the Jam Player - including both (basic) x64 and x86 versions - can be downloaded here.
Just like before, extract the contents of the playertest ZIP directly into the GMC Jam 42 Games folder. Most entries information is the same, but there are a few extra thumbnails now.

This time featuring:
- randomly adding the next entry to play to the unranked list (using a cryptographically secure RNG)
- ratings (so far in 5 standard categories, i.e. Theme/Concept/Presentation/Story/Overall)
- comments writing
- saving the ranking, ratings and comments, and loading the last saved state when opening Jam Player again

The ratings and comments are saved in the .jamplayer folder, which generally contains all the reviewer-specific data as opposed to jam-specific .jaminfos and .jamentries. At later point this folder might have custom rating criteria as well.

Micah_DS

Im actually surprised no one has tried TheMemer against me yet
I must admit that I never used it and I forgot about it until you mentioned it again. B U T, I just tried it and I think it's quite useful for single word guesses. Neat little program.
Most of the good words it brought up have already been guessed, but I do like one of the new words that came up:

HARMONIC.

It's probably not the theme, but if it were, I'd apply it as audio harmonics. I'd make a character that would have to slap various objects with different tones and resonance to match the music's melody.
OH, I've got it! 'Clappah da Slappah' (hey, I'm bad at naming things off the top of my head), a game about a cute little seal that can only create the right slapping sounds while it's wet, as opposed to dry, so it has to occasionally go for a short swim to get wet again and get back to slapping stuff. The reasoning is that dry sounds usually won't sound good, or they won't sit in the mix properly, so they need to be 'wet'. :D
If you don't know about music production, just know that it's funny.. on a dad joke level.

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
ELEMENTS is a little generic in the sense that the most obvious ideas are four classical elements as a base and elemental rock-paper scissors as a gameplay mechanic.

However, it still has room for other interpretations - e.g. different element systems, chemical elements, even heating elements apparently though I only found out about this phrase from Micah_DS post. Also it's possible to base quite a few gameplay mechanics based on this theme, unlike some previous themes which required either a story explanation or some very specific gameplay mechanics. So while I imagine many entries will fall back to similar basic intepretations, it does leave some room for more unique takes.

From that perspective, I think it would be quite a decent theme.

I agree. Elements would be a pretty good theme that isn't limiting to gameplay choices. Think of DnD style magic, elemental types for wizards, elements, as in the weather elements. You could do planet simulations, galaxy formations, surviving the elements.

Gah, I hope it's elements. So many possibilities.

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
Only one week left till the upcoming Jam... 👀

Meanwhile, I'm still working on the Jam Player, but it's export feature at the moment and I'm setting up some pretty advanced systems in place to bring the export customisation closer.
If I won't implement custom exports by the time the Jam starts, it should at least bring me close enough so that I can finish them after the Jam ends. I still aim for the new Jam Player to be ready for this Jam, covering all the functionalities of the current one.

Bart

WiseBart
Hide the lines in letters to make it seem like a different letter?
🤔
It's a humble attempt at trying to find a way to make the guess fit the clues. We've seen other hidden things appear in earlier jam themes, such as hidden spaces and apostrophes.
If you take that idea further then "parts of letters" is where you might end up 😀

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
Potentially unpopular opinion: I think jam themes are being revealed too fast now. I mean, there's literally only 9 available words left in the English language, the only other viable one being "examiner". And I really doubt it's that.
To be fair, for the previous Jam the theme wasn't all that clear until the Jam started (or at least that's the impression I got). Though Evan's misdirection with the video secret might have helped with that. I definitely wouldn't make the theme as generic as MANY ENEMIES, still. ^^

(that said, I can see how the letter reveals might seem faster now, especially with longer pre-Jam topics than they used to be a while back, and with this particular theme being pretty short)

sylvain_l

@Alice Even after installing the .NET v5.0.12 x64, the jam player (v0.2) still complain with the popup that said The framework 'Microsoft.WindowsDesktop.App', version '5.0.0' was not found; even after restarting :-(, I'm on win10 x64

also I'd like to add a jam prize:
a steam key for Dungeon Rushers; winner randomly chosen among the entries (if it's a team they'll have to pacifically choose who get it)

Status
Not open for further replies.