Not open for further replies.

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff

THEME:
ELEMENTS

Temporary License for the Jam
https://accounts.yoyogames.com/promo/gmcjam43
Just click the link, make sure you are logged-in to YYG and you'll have a temp export license for the jam!

The GMC Jam is a WILD game development contest run every 3 months by the GameMaker Community. This is the 43rd such jam.

Members compete to make the best game possible over the course of just 168 hours.

GMC Jam 43 will take place on the following dates:

Nov 30th, 2021 12:00 UTC - Dec 7th, 2021 15:30 UTC
(Countdown Clock)

Enter in the Games Topic

• Any GMC member can take part in the GMC Jam. You must use GameMaker to create your game. Free temporary export licenses will be available for all users for the duration of the jam.
  • Games must be made between 12:00 UTC on Nov 30th and 15:30 UTC on Dec 7th, and posted in the games topic.
  • You may use resources such as graphics, sounds and scripts that were made prior to the jam, as long as the bulk of your work takes place during Jam weekend.
  • The credits should make clear where the assets come from and which were made before the Jam; The creators of the entry must have rights to all of the assets; unlicensed use of resources is not allowed. (This rule is enforced, failure to follow this rule will result in not being eligible for a medal and final score being affected)
  • You may create one post per entry in the games topic. You may create this post before your game is finished and continue editing that post to update your progress, in fact you are encouraged to write a devlog!
  • All entries must have a download link in the Games Topic before it closes at 15:30 UTC on Dec 7th.
  • All entries should work on Windows as a standalone executable / compressed zip folder. No installers please. Your entry can also work in HTML5, GX and on other platforms, but most voters will be using Windows and therefore your entry should work primarily on windows in order to secure a decent amount of feedback.
  • All entries are encouraged to follow the Jam theme. It isn't mandatory to do so, but you'll often get more favourable reviews from your peers!
  • You may participate alone or in a team of up to 3 members. See the "teams" section below if you're looking for teammates.
That's all you need to know, but more information will be available in the Games Topic when it opens and in the rules discussion topic.

• As soon as the Jam ends on Dec 7th at 12:00 UTC, a zip folder of the games will be created and posted in the voting topic so that players can download all the entries at once if they wish.​
  • Voters will then have just over 2 weeks to play and rank the games and voting will close on Dec 21th at 12:00 UTC.​
  • Any member of the GMC can vote, even if they didn't enter the jam. You cannot vote for your own entry. Votes shall be posted in the voting topic.​
  • Voters are encouraged to rank as many games as possible, and their final votes must include at least their top 3 games. More information on this will be provided in the voting topic when it opens.​
Boring technical info about how the votes are counted: Entries receive points based on their votes, following the formula <BASE SCORE> * <TOTAL VOTES> / (<TOTAL VOTES> - <VOTING AUTHORS>) .
For example, with 20 votes:
- the entry whose author didn't vote would have average score of <BASE SCORE> / 20
- the entry with 1 voting author would have average score of <BASE SCORE> / (20-1) = <BASE SCORE> / 19
- the entry with 3 voting authors would have average score of <BASE SCORE> / (20-3) = <BASE SCORE> / 17

More info in the Jams Suggestion topic
As this is Alice's formula and she's more mathematically inclined then a raccoon with a PhD in pizza, she shall handle voting for the most part. Alice you are the best!

That's all you need to know, but more information will be available in the Voting Topic when it opens!

Main Prizes
  • The winner(s) get to decide the Theme of the next GMC Jam.​
  • The top 3 entrants, as well as winners of the "Best Of" categories will win personalized banners for their forum signature and a place in the Hall of Fame topic.​
  • More to be confirmed...​

Community Prizes

Members can offer their own prizes for the GMC Jam. PM me, @EvanSki , and I'll add your prize to the list. NOTES: You should offer something based on your skills, rather than a commercial prize. You will also need to handle giving out the prizes yourselves after the end of the jam. Please make sure to check out the post link for each prize to get full info.
  • [Post] @Mightyjor : To the Next Winner, I offer the Mightyjor Seal of Quality
  • [Post] ^^^^ : I’ll also offer keys to my Adaptive Music Vol 1 & 2 to the top 3 winners
  • [Post] @SoapSud39 : I'd like to offer artwork of the top-4 placing games (in the style of my game from jam 41
  • [Post] @dadio : 522 Fonts - Full Commercial Use!
  • @Micah_DS : To the game that I personally find to have the most excellent or inspiring game-identifying graphic (that I can reproduce), I offer a low poly 3D recreation of said graphic, in the form of a spinning GIF set + a viewer program to give you a closer look at the model.
  • [Post] @sylvain_l : a steam key for Dungeon Rushers; winner randomly chosen among the entries (if it's a team they'll have to pacifically choose who get it)
  • ...no more prizes, why not submit one?

You may enter the GMC Jam as part of a team (up to 3 members). Sometimes collaborating as part of a team can help you to e-meet new and interesting people. Here we will list people looking for teammates. If you want to be added to the list, send me @EvanSki , a private message with the skills you are offering.
  • EXAMPLE: ( Member ) is a ( Skill ) looking for a ( Other Skill )...
  • @LucasSchachtMusic is a composer and sound designer looking for a team!
  • @derboo is a game designer/programmer looking for a artist (preferably pixel art) and a composer (preferably chiptune)

Live Streams! This is a list of people who have told me that they are planning on streaming their playthroughs of the jam games! I encourage those that want or are wanting to stream the games to do so and also let the community know! Streaming games allows the devs of the games to have play tests of their games and gain useful info about how they can further improve their game dev skills! PLEASE NOTE: Nothing is confirmed yet this is to just give a general idea, a more confirmed and up to date list will be in the voting topic.

The more people that enter the jam, the more fun we'll all have! Spread the word far and wide. Use the hashtag #GMCJam on Twitter (and other social media networks), join the Discord Chat, and talk about your games on the GameMaker Reddit. You are, of course, encouraged to talk about the Jam as much as possible here on the GameMaker Community. Create a devlog on the Work In Progress forum if you dare, and definitely post your thoughts, comments and memes in this very discussion topic!

You can also change your signature to tell other GMC members about the jam:

Signature Image:

BB Code:
Code:
[url=https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?threads/the-frozen-gmc-jam-42.90648/][img]https://i.imgur.com/15GWZ9v.png[/img][/url]

Last edited:

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
Looks like it's almost time forthat dream-team teamup with me doing music to get started. Now I just need those other 2 members to confirm they still wanna do it.

SoapSud39

nice pfp

I'd like to offer artwork of the top-4 placing games (in the style of my game from jam 41 (edit: also the same style as my jam 42 game I guess)).

It'll be interesting having a week to work on it this time (but it does cut a bit close to finals).

Last edited:

dadio

Potato Overlord
GMC Elder
Nice clean logo! I'm 100% in this time! Even if It KILLS me!
Gonna be AWESOME!!!

Jam Prize!!!
522 Fonts - Full Commercial Use!

Last edited:

Pixel-Team

Master of Pixel-Fu
I'm down. I thought the logo was "Pixellated Hammered Raccoon" though. Doesn't matter. I'm still working on our animated logo anyway. All I know is there will be raccoons, hammers, pixels, and fire. ;)

Last edited:

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
I'm down. I thought the logo was "Pixellated Hammered Raccoon" though. Doesn't matter. I'm still working on our animated logo anyway. All I know is there will be raccoons, hammers, pixels, and fire. ;)
YAY!!!!! I don't care too much about the name, it's ALL groovy :) As the jam gets closer we DO need to figure out our communication structure. Both me and Evan have Discords with voice channels so assuming @Pixel-Team has a mic it should be easy enough. If no mic is available chat is always still there.

Spam1985

I've never taken part in one of these before but it looks like a ton of fun!
Question though: Does it have to be GMS2 or can I use older versions of Game Maker?

Spam1985

In fact, just two Jams ago, @Nocturne used GameMaker 1 to create the Jam entry.
Not GameMaker: Studio 1.x.
GameMaker 1.
Wow that's hardcore. I still don't have GMS2 and although the jam would let me use it temporarily, if I had to scramble something together within 7 days then I'd be much more comfortable using my GMS1. Good to know, thanks!

Spam1985

Yeah, me and Nocturne each had our own interpretations of "A BIG MISTAKE." His mistake was using that old version, mine was the game itself that was a flop for sales(E.T.). These jams are certainly fun and completely worth doing @Spam1985
Both of those ideas sound ingenious. Love to see creative people being creative! Sounds like fun, gonna have to give it a try!

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
Oh yes! The GMC Milk and Cookies 43 is a go! 🥛🍪

Looking forward to this one. Been stuck in a bit of a rut for game ideas, can't wait to see the theme :)
I really wanted to make the cranberry jam joke, but I couldnt draw cranberries to save my life
so I want for milk and cookies, A really good jam jar, thanks dan!

Last edited:

Micah_DS

Ok, but what's with the banana along with the milk and cookies? Are you trying to kill Santa? Terrible.

Micah_DS

Thats the lid
Oh hahahah! I thought it was leftover graphics from a previous jam and you just didn't edit it out or something. The angle gives it the right shape and the graphics are simple enough that I honestly thought it was a banana. Well, all is good then.... unless.... wait, it's not pLaSTiC is it? :p

And another theme guess, cuz why not:
FREEZE IT

8 characters is surprisingly short. Seems like it's been a while since we had such a short theme.

Last edited:

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
Oh hahahah! I thought it was leftover graphics from a previous jam and you just didn't edit it out or something. The angle gives it the right shape and the graphics are simple enough that I honestly thought it was a banana. Well, all is good then.... unless.... wait, it's not pLaSTiC is it? :p

And another theme guess, cuz why not:
FREEZE IT

8 characters is surprisingly short. Seems like it's been a while since we had such a short theme.
Blame dan he made the jar

Spam1985

When playing online games I'm usually "so old lol", but I imagine a community like this skews older.
You have the inexperienced people who can't complete YouTube tutorials without posting on here for help, probably the young 'uns that may or may not stick around, and then I always imagined the more experienced members around here to be roughly my age or older.

Just people like me but who have much better understanding of mathematics and programming than I do!
At my age I really should be levelling up!

Micah_DS

More early guesses which will undoubtedly be proven incompatible/wrong after the first letter reveal:

TEAMWORK
TEST ROOM
YODELING
DAD HUMOR
GO INSANE
WAR PARTY
TOUGH JOB
HOT SAUCE
BAD DREAM
BE SILENT
NO TOILET (darn)
ONE COLOR