• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

GMC Jam Discussion The Frozen GMC Jam 43

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
@Alice Even after installing the .NET v5.0.12 x64, the jam player (v0.2) still complain with the popup that said The framework 'Microsoft.WindowsDesktop.App', version '5.0.0' was not found; even after restarting :-(, I'm on win10 x64

also I'd like to add a jam prize:
a steam key for Dungeon Rushers; winner randomly chosen among the entries (if it's a team they'll have to pacifically choose who get it)
Try the .net x32(86) version

also prize has been added to the pool

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
Try the .net x32(86) version

also prize has been added to the pool
Assuming @sylvain_l run the "Jam Player.exe" rather than "Jam Player (x86).exe", it's probably not the problem with the 32-bit/x86 version.

It seems that while sylvain_l has installed the core .NET Framework 5 libraries, there are desktop-specific libraries missing. Looking up the error message, it happens when someone has .NET Runtime 5.x installed, but without .NET Desktop Runtime 5.x.
The solution seems to be installing .NET Desktop Runtime - apparently it includes everything from the .NET Runtime 5.0.12 as well, so one still needs to download and install one package (as opposed to two).
The .NET Desktop Runtime 5.0.12 installer can be downloaded from here (x64 version) or here (x86 version).

(sylvain_l: could you please try downloading the .NET Desktop Runtime and see if it works for you?)

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
Assuming @sylvain_l run the "Jam Player.exe" rather than "Jam Player (x86).exe", it's probably not the problem with the 32-bit/x86 version.

It seems that while sylvain_l has installed the core .NET Framework 5 libraries, there are desktop-specific libraries missing. Looking up the error message, it happens when someone has .NET Runtime 5.x installed, but without .NET Desktop Runtime 5.x.
The solution seems to be installing .NET Desktop Runtime - apparently it includes everything from the .NET Runtime 5.0.12 as well, so one still needs to download and install one package (as opposed to two).
The .NET Desktop Runtime 5.0.12 installer can be downloaded from here (x64 version) or here (x86 version).

(sylvain_l: could you please try downloading the .NET Desktop Runtime and see if it works for you?)
Is it possible to bundle .net with the jam play to avoid further issues?

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
Is it possible to bundle .net with the jam play to avoid further issues?
It's possible to create a standalone version, but then its size increases to 100-ish MBs, so I would rather not.
I think it's better to include a text file that explains what to install depending on the Jam Player version, complete with link (maybe with a telling name "Jam Player won't run.txt"). That way those who already have the framework installed will just run the Jam Player, and those who don't will find the correct link in the attached text file.

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
Evan, you didn't oversleep, did you? ^^'

(or maybe it's Daylight Saving Time confusion? Since last Jam was in DST at least in some regions and the current is not)

derboo

I feel like maybe making a sequel to my older jam game, Ninja Massacre (implementing the theme!)...

Are there any artists here who'd like to collaborate? Otherwise my ninja's gonna end up looking like...

this!

goofyninja-big.png
(this is a threat)

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
Yeah, this specific Jam has been made longer so that people have more time to recover after Thanksgiving and people who are busy during weekends can at least scrape some hours from the weekdays.
With that in mind, one generally shouldn't be too worried about having little time among all these seven days compared to others - the longer timeline is so that more people can find any time to participate, not to make people work on their games longer.

(...that said, I'm pretty sure *some* people will use that extra time to polish their entry even more compared to regular Jams, and that's fine too)

The M

I don't know what I'll be making, but with the few extra days it seems like a good opportunity to try out GMS2! Considering that 1.4 is slowly falling apart, it's well about time I make the switch 😀

Mr Magnus

Viking King
Ok, just got back from a workplace outing. Shot a few arrows at a target, some of which even hit. Ate some wuagyu beef and sake-laced ice cream. I think I'm ready to start sketching up some game ideas!

Gizmo199

Got something started. Was thinking maybe a 'Titan souls' type game? Just basically 4 boss fights (for each element). Got 4 elements as abilities in there rn.

Earth - Rock attack (close-range)
Fire -fireball (long-range)
Wind - deflect (pushes small enemies / projectiles away from you)
Water - dash (skid on puddles quickly around level)

Nothing premade, so I'm pretty proud of how it looks for the amount of time I've put in! The filters/effects make work MUCH quicker!
It's a start! :p

Last edited:

Toque

Got something started. Was thinking maybe a 'Titan souls' type game? Just basically 4 boss fights (for each element). Got 4 elements as abilities in there rn.

Earth - Rock attack (close-range)
Fire -fireball (long-range)
Wind - deflect (pushes small enemies / projectiles away from you)
Water - dash (skid on puddles quickly around level)

Nothing premade, so I'm pretty proud of how it looks for the amount of time I've put in! The filters/effects make work MUCH quicker!
It's a start! :p
Oh my game jam nemesis returns. I’m stepping up my game……..

Ok . watched your video. Never mind.

Gizmo199

Oh my game jam nemesis returns. I’m stepping up my game……..

Ok . watched your video. Never mind.
You got this!! Honestly there probably wont be much in terms of "content". I'm mainly using it to practice building boss fight mechanics / combat balance and hopefully get some feedback that can help with making boss fights in the future. It will probably basically be a titan souls bootleg. Haha. Dont be deceived by the pixel art!! :p

Toque

You got this!! Honestly there probably wont be much in terms of "content". I'm mainly using it to practice building boss fight mechanics / combat balance and hopefully get some feedback that can help with making boss fights in the future. It will probably basically be a titan souls bootleg. Haha. Dont be deceived by the pixel art!! :p
Pixels is pretty much all I got. But I’m shooting for entertainment value. Short. Couple laughs. I am doing some paths and enemy AI. A stretch for me. Doing something a little different. It will end in a mess but pushing ahead to get a complete game.

Status
Not open for further replies.