The Finnish War - survival-themed RTS

AcroGames

Hey, I'd want to share with you guys my solo dev project of nearly 4 years development (counting its off-seasons).
It originated on GM8.1, then later moved on to GMS1.4 and it's continued with 1.4. Pro today.

I introduce you The Finnish War!

P3aAbUl.png

It's a real-time strategy game set in the early 19th century, in the titular Finnish War. You manually control a single character instead of clicking large armies around; commanding units is done with the numeric keys 0-9.
There is a handful of simple commands you can give your units.
Units are divided into three categories in which they are commanded: infantry (footsoldiers), cavalry (horsemen) and artillery.
If you've played Mount & Blade, you get an idea of how the battle commands are, only with a top-down view.

Survival plays a large role in the game as in Survival scenarios, you need to keep your troops and yourself protected from hunger, freezing temperature attrition, and other hazards in the environment.
You are forced to adapt into every map, and plan your moves accordingly; is it safe to try and rush to catch the enemy off-guard, or in case of a difficult terrain and hazards like snowstorms and lack of food, try to play it slow, trying to find food and maybe wait for the enemy to come to you instead?

A single game might even go without a battle at all - if you and/or the enemy fail to adapt to the environment, it might be the death of you both. You need to gather food, build camps to keep your troops warm, and analyze the map - what to use to your advantage, what are dangerous areas to cross, where to find food, etc.

There are also big battles, though. In the Campaigns (which there will be two: Swedish and Russian ones) you will also find yourself in Battle scenarios, which abandon all survival elements and just simply pit two pre-created massive armies against one another. These are based on historical battles that took place in the war.

I intend to release the game on 22.02.22.
I'm on the home stretch, but there's still work to be done, including:
  • Russian campaign
  • voice-acting
  • graphical polish
  • split-screen multiplayer testing and polish
Twitter's found here:

And a little trailer here:

If you wish, let me know what you think of it. thanks!

Last edited:

AcroGames

All the Custom Battle maps for the game have been finished. For both singleplayer and two-player modes!

It's such a milestone that a devlog update is in place. Work continues now with the Campaigns.

Here's some tidbits of said maps.

Valley Of Fertility: All the Huntables are at the center of the map, inciting earlier tensions.

River Aura: Named after a famous Finnish river, factions start on separate sides and either make a daring cross or start fortifying.

Scandinavia: Scandinavia and parts of Russia and Baltic countries in miniature size.

AcroGames

Hey all! A gameplay video, more to come later.
Doesn't always go according to plan, as you'll find watching this!

AcroGames

Hand Point Right
【ANNOUNCEMENT!】
Hand Point Left

Due to time constraints and general impracticality, The Finnish War will release as one game, NOT separated to Free/Full versions as stated previously.
To compensate however, the game's price is dropped by 30%. (3€ -> 2€)
Also, all content made for the game and planned for the previous 'Full version', including unlockable factions, bunch of Extras, etc. will all be included (and for a lesser price in total as stated above) instead of being limited to a particular version of the game.

22.2.22 nears! Thank you all for your interest, and patience!
Links to all sites to purchase the game will be provided here!

Twitter:
Hand Point Right
https://twitter.com/thefinnishwar

Last edited:

ttuuvee

Hey couple of comments:
- try to make sure that your graphics are drawn unscaled. based on your videos and screen shot things look fuzzy. this can be tricky if your system is mess but makes the product look a lot better
- draw a shadow beneath all your units, buildings and tree to make things look more "live", its really eazy thing to do

Your moving & management system looks good, but visuals needs improvement, at the very least the things I stated above.

I can help you if you like. and provide a couple of examples etc

AcroGames

Hey couple of comments:
- try to make sure that your graphics are drawn unscaled. based on your videos and screen shot things look fuzzy. this can be tricky if your system is mess but makes the product look a lot better
- draw a shadow beneath all your units, buildings and tree to make things look more "live", its really eazy thing to do

Your moving & management system looks good, but visuals needs improvement, at the very least the things I stated above.

I can help you if you like. and provide a couple of examples etc
thank you, for comment, and offer! I will take note!

AcroGames

I'm planning to release information on The Finnish War (Steam release, Remote play), and future projects of AcroGames in Facebook.
The next project (in-development) will be a different genre than The Finnish War but also a historical game.
If interested, give the brand new site a look:
https://www.facebook.com/AcroGamesFin

Last edited: