GMC Jam Discussion The Festive GMC Jam 35 - Discussion Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

r_Svan

!! They host game jams every 3 months!!?

I totally can't wait to figure out what I'm doing in the next 3 months so I can join the next one! :)

I ended up spending more time with my family than I expected. I will still post what I have tomorrow, but I did not come close to finishing.

Bearman_18

Fruit Stand Deadbeat
How do you make a pun out of possessed killer mafia potatoes?
Edit- Potatoes and jam is a swedish dish. That's kind of a pun seeing this is a game jam.
Edit- edit- wait, that's meatballs and jam. F*ck.

Last edited:
C

Catastrophe

I was thinking like
"Root of all evil"
"Revenge is a dish best served stewed"
"Smashed Potatoes"
"Keep your eyes peeled" (level)

I dunno, maybe that was a bad idea xD

Micah_DS

Me talking to @HayManMarc before the jam:

Also me:

.... ? :confused: :p

So our guy is going to have telekinetic powers with a hint of random teleportation, to spice things up, not because of bugs, of course. ;)
(Surprise mechanics?)

Last edited:

CloseRange

Maybe I'm dumb but is the deadline on the first at midnight, the second at 12 in the afternoon, or the second at midnight?

Micah_DS

Not nearly as far as I wanted to be at this point, but at least we now have lasers and an enemy type done:

Maybe I'm dumb but is the deadline on the first at midnight, the second at 12 in the afternoon, or the second at midnight?
I'm unsure why the clock isn't linked in the OP(?) but the clock will show how much time you have left, so that's handy. It'll answer your question.

Poizen

I haven't participated in a jam in years. I started to work on a kinda puzzle sport game where you get points by throwing a block at other blocks.

But I don't have time to work on it anymore and it's like 1% done. :p The original plan was that you would challenge three different characters and maybe they would have their own unique abilities or something:

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Just pushed a second patch... this time adding screenshake, FINALLY figuring out the bug with blocks getting stuck in other blocks (turns out I didn't disable blocks moving around during the effect when a line was cleared, so blocks could get desynced during that animation if they moved around right after a line was cleared) and adding some more visual effects overall. I kinda feel like it'd be stupid to NOT polish the game even more, but I also have absolutely no idea what I could add that won't go against the game's minimalist core idea.

I had this idea that a ghost would show up and mess with you from time to time (moving blocks around, punching holes, or just obscuring the screen) but I can't see any way that'll make the game more fun to play... right now it's already super RNG heavy, with certain block shape / type combinations being run killers and others basically a guaranteed "get out of jail free" card. Maybe I'll figure out some new features to add in a post-jam update? I'm actually looking forward to the reviews for like the first time ever :p (or maybe that's just my overconfidence speaking)

ghandpivot

Putting the finishing touches on the game. Clocking in at around 80 hours of work divided on two people, it's been a blast but now I don't want to stare at photoshop for another 3 months 'til next time.

The M

Putting the finishing touches on the game. Clocking in at around 80 hours of work divided on two people, it's been a blast but now I don't want to stare at photoshop for another 3 months 'til next time.
And it's done! It's the most ambitious jam project I've made to date. It's amazing what you can do when you split the work with someone. :D Glad we could pull it off!

Bearman_18

Fruit Stand Deadbeat
Just got to do an intro and an outro, and I'm done!
Nice work. I turned down the sound and played Smooth Criminal over it and have decidedit's secretly a MJ game.
Not bad. If I didn't have qualms with using licensed music, I would use Looking Like This or Lone Digger or something.
Taters the eliminators.
But that's not even a pun! XD Maybe, "elimitators"?

M

Misu

My entry is 95% complete and I still got some time. Im constantly live streaming and taking short breaks to get myself at the right pace and so far things are coming along great. The only doubt I have is if my game is fun enough. I'll need to come up with more ideas for it as I approach the completion. ':)

dadio

Potato Overlord
GMC Elder
Some great looking entries folks!
Keep up the great work!

I've only put in 3 hours so far (last Friday, on art) but *now* I can finally throw some more bits together for another *looks at clock* mayyybe 4 hours or so...
who knows, I might even make something remotely playable! :D

dadio

Potato Overlord
GMC Elder
FINISHED ALSO!!!
Link to the .exe and .zip in the games topic!
Oh MAN you guys are in for a REAL TREAT this time!
I poured all my heart and soul into this one!
ENJOY!!!

GGJuanPabon

Now I have almost finished the game, but I just realized that the trial license does not generate executable. Right now it's too late in my country, 1:30 in the morning. They should give at least 1 more day for everyone to deliver, and you, what license is good for me.

dadio

Potato Overlord
GMC Elder
Best to get the Developer license.
It's permanent.
And it's 20% off currently.
Costing just $79.
YoYo do run sales frequently... and it's possible you may get it for cheaper in another sale later on...
but seems to me that in general they're not going too crazy with % cuts in their sales these days...so 20% off is pretty decent!
https://www.yoyogames.com/get

And if you're not getting that now, you should save the Gamemaker file and PM that to Dan before the deadline. (He could make an .exe from that to add to the Jam zip.)
What is it now?
6 hours left?
Looking like 25 entries or so...

EDIT: To all who entered something - GRATS! It's quite a challenge to create something playable in such a short timeframe! Well done all!

C

Catastrophe

FINISHED ALSO!!!
Link to the .exe and .zip in the games topic!
Oh MAN you guys are in for a REAL TREAT this time!
I poured all my heart and soul into this one!
ENJOY!!!
Pfft, isn't trollface a human?

I submitted mine.

It's called the Mouser Curser, but really it's just a bulletin board.

Didn't really finish lol. But I had a good weekend hanging out with my family.

I hope to do full reviews (at least a stream) but we'll see... It's finals week now lol.

Last edited:

dadio

Potato Overlord
GMC Elder
I can’t wait til people start playing! Especially to see reactions to and reviews of my game. It’s the first time I’ve created a Jam game with solid game mechanics, over an hours worth of gameplay, and multiple endings!

I can’t wait til people start playing! Especially to see reactions to and reviews of my game. It’s the first time I’ve created a Jam game with solid game mechanics, over an hours worth of gameplay, and multiple endings!
NICE!!!! This is my first GMJAM, although I am not 100% proud of my game it was a very fun process.

lazertrax

Finally managed to finish a game this weekend after failing to come up with an idea last jam.

Fair warning: Rage inducing fast paced action :D

Check my game's post over here

Can't wait to start playing everybody's entries, I hope to be able to do reviews this time around :)

Best of luck to all of you!

CloseRange

I won't be able to finish my game by the deadline do to problems irl but I wanted to share the character I made and the idea I had at least.

this is the main character. A super hero named Super-Natural.
He is all natural, baby :p
oh and he stole a witches has so now he has powers, or something.

dadio

Potato Overlord
GMC Elder
Less than 1 hour to go people!

Get those last minute entries submitted before the deadline!
Whatever half finished state your game is in, it can’t be worse than mine! :p

Woo! Well done again everyone.

For anyone playing my entry with a gamepad, I mixed up the Shoot and Melee buttons. The readme says that X is shoot and Y is Melee, but I accidentally coded that backwards! So X is melee and Y is shoot.

Status
Not open for further replies.