GMC Jam Discussion The Festive GMC Jam 35 - Discussion Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Catastrophe

Stickfigures is technically 2 words, but it'd be awesome if they considered it smushed into one word.

woodsmoke

SHADOWBOXING
SHARPSHOOTER
SYNTHESIZERS
SHELLSHOCKED
SHAREHOLDERS
SHIPBUILDING
SHORTSIGHTED
SIGNIFICANCE
SIMILARITIES
SIMPLEMINDED
SIMULTANEOUS
SIDESTEPPING
SIDETRACKING
SLEDGEHAMMER
SNOWBOARDING
SPECTROMETRY
SPEARFISHING
SCREENSAVERS
SPIRITUALITY
SPOKESPERSON
SPONSERSHIPS
SPRINGBOARDS
STANDARDISED
STEREOSCOPIC
STOCKHOLDERS
STORYTELLING
STRAITJACKET
STRATOSPHERE
STRAWBERRIES
SUBSTITUTION
SUPERCHARGED
SUPERHIGHWAY
SUPERLATIVES
SUPPLEMENTAL
SURVEILLANCE
SYNCRONIZED

Psycho_666

SHADOWBOXING
SHARPSHOOTER
SYNTHESIZERS
SHELLSHOCKED
SHAREHOLDERS
SHIPBUILDING
SHORTSIGHTED
SIGNIFICANCE
SIMILARITIES
SIMPLEMINDED
SIMULTANEOUS
SIDESTEPPING
SIDETRACKING
SLEDGEHAMMER
SNOWBOARDING
SPECTROMETRY
SPEARFISHING
SCREENSAVERS
SPIRITUALITY
SPOKESPERSON
SPONSERSHIPS
SPRINGBOARDS
STANDARDISED
STEREOSCOPIC
STOCKHOLDERS
STORYTELLING
STRAITJACKET
STRATOSPHERE
STRAWBERRIES
SUBSTITUTION
SUPERCHARGED
SUPERHIGHWAY
SUPERLATIVES
SUPPLEMENTAL
SURVEILLANCE
SYNCRONIZED
You do have a dictionary, don't you?

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
It's confirmed in Dan's status update... the same one you replied to. ^^'
I compulsively reply to everything I see, it's hard to remember stuff even in the off chance I actually read it instead of using baseless speculation on the first sentence :p

Reactions: KPJ

woodsmoke

SUPERSTITION
SUBCONSCIOUS
SURVEILLANCE
SUBOPTIMIZED
SUBSCRIPTION
SUBSOCIETIES
SUBSTRACTION
SUBSTITUTION
SUBSTRUCTURE
SUBJECTIVITY
SUPERNATURAL
SUPERHIGHWAY
SUPERCHARGED
SUPERLATIVES
SUPPLEMENTAL
SUGARCOATING
SUMMERSAULTS
SUMMERWEIGHT
SUPERMARKETS
SUPERPOWERED
SUPERWEAPONS
SUPREMACISTS
SURREALISTIC
SURROUNDINGS

Last edited:

woodsmoke

Yeah there are a lot more words but I can't imagine most of them to be the theme.

Anyway, it's pretty obvious now that the theme will be supremacists.

Psycho_666

SUPERSTITION
SUBCONSCIOUS
SURVEILLANCE
SUBOPTIMIZED
SUBSCRIPTION
SUBSOCIETIES
SUBSTRACTION
SUBSTITUTION
SUBSTRUCTURE
SUBJECTIVITY
SUPERNATURAL
SUPERHIGHWAY
SUPERCHARGED
SUPERLATIVES
SUPPLEMENTAL
SUGARCOATING
SUMMERSAULTS
SUMMERWEIGHT
SUPERMARKETS
SUPERPOWERED
SUPERWEAPONS
SUPREMACISTS
SURREALISTIC
SURROUNDINGS
You are doing the most of that dictionary you have there...

RKS-III

I'm gonna guess SUPERLUMINAL, you could make a lot of abstract games out of theoretical physics or use FTL travel as a game mechanic

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Can i use paid assets - art and music ?
You can, but it goes against the spirit of the jam. Having a lot of pre-existing assets will limit what you can do since it takes time to make other assets match them, and time is very precious during a jam, so you're more likely to make a standard platformer / rpg / whatever else the assets are made for, instead of experimenting with the theme and trying out new ideas. Chances are you'll end up with an end result you're more proud of if you doodle up some graphics in the sprite editor in 30 seconds instead of using professional art assets, because you'll have a lot more freedom to take your jam idea to its limits.

(composing music under pressure isn't all that great, though, and a lot less people make music from scratch than art from scratch, so I guess I can't really say stock music is that much against the jam spirit...)

Reactions: KPJ

Micah_DS

Life has been a bit 'overloaded' for me in the past month, so I haven't been around much, but I'm also in, since I'm pretty much on track again and I'll have that weekend mostly free.
I'M EXCITE.

dadio

Potato Overlord
GMC Elder
@Alice: Oh wow, that brings me back! Really enjoyed running the Jam those few times! Some hilarious pics there! :)
(Real shame I uploaded all my pics/promo images to that image host and none of 'em work any more! Alotta fun stuff missing there now, sadly.)

Also really wish someone would get around to making a proper backup/archive/torrent of all these Jams...
I had the earliest ones all backed up at one point (Jams 1-8) but on a hard drive that has long since died *weeps*...
all I have now are zips/html dumps of the Jams I ran.
If anyone has Jam zips going way back, please share and lets try to preserve this stuff!
There were some really good games along the way - sad to lose them all to the sands of time!
Anyone with backups, PM me.

Bart

WiseBart
Hmm, starting with "su"...
I'll go for "sugarrushing", if that's even a word.

EDIT: next best guess is "SUBROUTINELY", i.e. "in a subroutine way" -> use only subroutines or its equivalent in GM

Last edited:
M

mysterycat

Excited to take part! A very busy weekend for me, so we'll see what I can make in a few hours ;)

The M

So I took @woodsmoke 's list and some of your other guesses and ran some numbers over the words. Dan said more characters would make the theme obvious so I looked for the word with the least common letters. SURREALISTIC and SURVEILLANCE both top the list, sharing their most common letter (the fifth letter, 'E') with only six other words (including each other). Here's the full list:
6 SURREALISTIC
6 SURVEILLANCE
7 SUMMERWEIGHT
8 SUMMERSAULTS
8 SURROUNDINGS
9 SUBCONSCIOUS
9 SUBOPTIMIZED
9 SUBROUTINELY
9 SUBSCRIPTION
9 SUBSOCIETIES
9 SUBTERRANEAN
9 SUBSTRACTION
9 SUBSTITUTION
9 SUBSTRUCTURE
9 SUBJECTIVITY
11 SUGARCOATING
14 SUPERCHARGED
14 SUPERHIGHWAY
14 SUPERIMPOSED
14 SUPERLATIVES
14 SUPERLUMINAL
14 SUPERMARKETS
14 SUPERNATURAL
14 SUPERPOWERED
14 SUPERSTITION
14 SUPERVILLAIN
14 SUPERWEAPONS
14 SUPPLEMENTAL
14 SUPPLICATION
14 SUPPOSITIONS
14 SUPREMACISTS
Obviously, anything that begins with super or sub is out but that's reasonable because if Dan could reveal a 'P' he probably would have (please don't reveal a 'P', Dan). There are of course no guarantees and we could still see a "super" theme but this was a perfect excuse for me to practice my python skills~ :)

Status
Not open for further replies.