GMC Jam Discussion The Festive GMC Jam 35 - Discussion Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

GameDevDan

Former Jam Host
GMC Elder

THEME:

SUPERNATURAL

The GMC Jam is a WILD game development contest run every 3 months by the GameMaker Community. This is the 35th such jam.

Members compete to make the best game possible over the course of just 96 hours.​

GMC Jam 35 will take place on the following dates:

November 28th, 2019 12:00 UTC - December 2nd, 2019 12:00 UTC
(Countdown Clock - coming soon)

• Any GMC member can take part in the GMC Jam. You must use GameMaker to create your game.
  • Games must be made between 12:00 UTC on November 28th and 12:00 UTC on December 2nd, and posted in the games topic.
  • You may use resources such as graphics, sounds and scripts that were made prior to the jam, as long as the bulk of your work takes place during Jam weekend.
  • You may create one post per entry in the games topic. You may create this post before your game is finished and continue editing that post to update your progress, in fact you are encouraged to write a devlog!
  • All entries must have a download link in the Games Topic before it closes at 12:00 UTC on December 2nd.
  • All entries must work on Windows as a standalone executable / compressed zip folder. No installers please. Your entry can also work in HTML5 and on other platforms, but only the Windows build will be judged.
  • All entries are encouraged to follow the Jam theme. It isn't mandatory to do so, but you'll often get more favourable reviews from your peers!
  • You may participate alone or in a team of up to 3 members. See the "teams" section below if you're looking for teammates.
That's all you need to know, but more information will be available in the Games Topic when it opens!

• As soon as the Jam ends on December 2nd at 12:00 UTC, a zip folder of the games will be created and posted in the voting topic so that players can download all the entries at once if they wish.
  • Voters will then have around 2 weeks to play and rank the games and voting will close on December 17th at 9:00 UTC.
  • Any member of the GMC can vote, even if they didn't enter the jam. You cannot vote for your own entry. Votes shall be posted in the voting topic.
  • Voters are encouraged to rank as many games as possible, and their final votes must include at least their top 3 games. More information on this will be provided in the voting topic when it opens.
Boring technical info about how the votes are counted: Entries receive points based on where each voter ranked them, following the formula 1/(rank+1). So if a voter puts a game 1st, it gets 0.5 points. If a voter puts a game 6th, it gets ~0.143 points. These are all added up by the Jam Host to find the overall rank for each game.

That's all you need to know, but more information will be available in the Voting Topic when it opens!

Main Prizes
  • The winner(s) get to decide the Theme of the next GMC Jam.
  • The top 3 entrants, as well as winners of the "Best Of" categories will win personalised banners for their forum signature and a place in the Hall of Fame topic.
  • More to be confirmed...

Community Prizes

Members can offer their own prizes for the GMC Jam. PM me, @GameDevDan , and I'll add your prize to the list. NOTES: You should offer something based on your skills, rather than a commercial prize. You will also need to handle giving out the prizes yourselves after the end of the jam.
  • @Cloaked Games - I will give a free key for my new game, The Last Librarian, to my personal favorite FANTASY game that is submitted. (I will choose my favorite based on the setting/story, aesthetics, characters etc).
  • dadio - I will give all entrants full commercial use license for all (almost 500!) of my fonts. You can find those to download here: https://www.dafont.com/darrell-flood.d4895 (This technically has a real world value of around $10,000 - tho please note the licenses are non-transferable.) I will also make custom "dadio style" Jam signatures for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners. I will also give the 1st place winner their choice of *any* Steam game that has been made using GameMaker.
  • @Relic - a copy of Nation Breakers: Steam Arena to 4th place.
  • ...no more prizes, why not submit one?

You may enter the GMC Jam as part of a team (up to 3 members). Sometimes collaborating as part of a team can help you to e-meet new and interesting people. Here we will list people looking for teammates. If you want to be added to the list, send me @GameDevDan , a private message with the skills you are offering.
  • @BlackForestStudios - Hello, my name is David and I am a sound designer/composer looking for a team to work with either in the current game jam or any other collaboration that may be available. My portfolio can be found at davidgraysound.com
  • EXAMPLE: ( Member ) is a ( Skill ) looking for a ( Other Skill )...

The more people that enter the jam, the more fun we'll all have! Spread the word far and wide. Use the hashtag #GMCJam on Twitter (and other social media networks), join the Discord Chat, and talk about your games on the GameMaker Reddit. You are, of course, encouraged to talk about the Jam as much as possible here on the GameMaker Community. Create a devlog on the Work In Progress forum if you dare, and definitely post your thoughts, comments and memes in this very discussion topic!

You can also change your signature to tell other GMC members about the jam:

Signature Image:

BB Code:
Code:
[url=https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?threads/the-festive-gmc-jam-35-discussion-topic.68682/][img]https://i.imgur.com/JceY3hk.png[/img][/url]

Last edited:

Psycho_666

As soon as I see the theme I will decide if I can enter or not... I hope it's something I have a passing interest in, so I can make something...

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
I'm gonna try to do something for this jam, I've had a nasty habit of either being so out-crunched I get panic attacks trying to make an entry or learning about the jam 1 hour after the submission deadline lately.

A

Acr515

Wow, I really wish this didn't cut right through the US Thanksgiving weekend...

Hopefully you can count me in, but only time will tell.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
The theme might be "I" (make a game about yourself and your life) or "A" (the game is about an object that there only exists one copy of, and its name can't begin with a wovel sound). Or perhaps the theme is an emoji.

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
Maybe Reaktori & Riuku are trying to bring up one of the previous Ludum Dare final round theme suggestions back to this Jam? ☃

Bearman_18

Fruit Stand Deadbeat
The point is for your theme to be Impossible to figure out. You win if nobody knows what your theme is.

GameDevDan

Former Jam Host
GMC Elder
New at game maker but meh, gonna try
That's the brilliant thing about game jams! You get a chance to learn the ropes in a friendly environment (with no pressure to end up with a AAA shiny polished product)

Oh ****, I might actually be seeing a band the first night XD
Good thing we extended the GMC Jam to 4 days after all I guess :p

Maybe Reaktori & Riuku are trying to bring up one of the previous Ludum Dare final round theme suggestions back to this Jam? ☃
I am currently experiencing radio silence on that front - so if you know them from elsewhere please feel free to give them a prod :p

Psycho_666

Sooo... Are we late to update the theme or is the theme a question mark? Or is Google lying me about UTC...

No, Google say it's almost an hour boast 12:00 UTC... So is the theme a ?...? What am I supposed to do with that in a week?

Psycho_666

Im like that as well, what is going on?
Its weird.
I will do something extremely basic, just because something complex will require much more than a week.
A midterm horror game based around field of view and not knowing what's going on around you.
The sound will make or break the game, so any sound guys wanting to make some ambient noises and stuff for me for the jam? Collaboration anyone?

Psycho_666

OH F@k... It really is next month...
I just got the idea of working on the question mark theme...
Damn me and my magnificent stupidity...

Relic

If you are inspired, make it anyway. You may receive less points from reviewers but if you make a game in 4 days it’s a win.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Having fun and making something at all is more important than following the theme, so do what you feel like. Or try making that game now in 4 days as a warmup, and then you'll be warm in the jamming clothes (jammies?) once the REAL jam rolls around.

GameDevDan

Former Jam Host
GMC Elder
Usually we'd drum up hype by trying to guess the theme, but I have yet to hear back from the previous winner. It appears they don't visit very often and there's a possibility we could end up without a theme (although it remains in Reaktori's hands until the very last minute).

Just in case that happens I was thinking we could all throw out theme suggestions here (GET HYPE!) and if we don't have a theme a few days before the jam I'll put the best few into a poll on this topic and the theme will be voted for by all of us - sound good?

Toque

piggybacking
championship
tranquilizer
civilization
immunization
consequences

My guesses.......... I will edit as needed but Im pretty sure i got it so just saying.........

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
I'm gonna guess UNBELIEVABLE, because @Psycho_666 said it in the profile post discusssion and it fits the word length, but haven't been turned into a formal guess yet.

upload_2019-11-4_23-49-32.png

Last edited:
C

Catastrophe

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Necromantics
Decapitation
Flamethrower
Literally just Thanksgiving

But honestly, given thanksgiving, I would not be surprised at colonization.

Bart

WiseBart
I guess I'll add a few ideas to the list:
Invisibility
Breakthrough
Regeneration
Adaptability
Construction

Status
Not open for further replies.