GMC Jam Discussion The Extremely Aestival GMC Jam #5 Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnwo

@johnwo i like watching your vid because its funny.
Thank you! Fun was what I was aiming for.

Unfortunately it is not a real game review vid.
Sure it is! It's right there! You can watch it at any time!

Its just extremely short opinion of each entry with no constructive criticism. I was really hoping to hear any suggestions or ideas about improving my jam experience or something but I didnt.
Did you seriously expect to suggestions or ideas on how to improve from a random drunk guy?!
In any case, I would argue that the video is full of constructive critisism (see below).

It was fun though
That's what counts!

Funny thing is that you did exactly the same thing that I did when i played Verizon Horizon. I bashed the space bar continously until I discovered which key was it I had to press. If you like to try it out again, press the Z key to continue.
Well, 💩💩💩💩... I got to play the game now, at least.
The thing is: If what you have to do to start the game isn't apparent to a drunk dude (and the game comes with no readme) then that's a good pointer on how to improve the game; so technically, that could be interpreted as constructive critisism.

Also I just discovered another problem with my entry and it had to do with delta time. It cause the speed to run terribly fast than the average gravity can support on other hardware. People could not properly get pass the tree due to that small dilemma. Ill have to avoid using delta next time since its risky to use.

I think the biggest problem about my entry was that bug on falling continously since so many people here actually fell into that. Its a matter if trying the entry without falling down that cliff. Anyway good job everyone
So me pointing out the falling bug highlighted a problem?
BOOM! Constructive critisism!

Check and mate.

Bingdom

Googledom
Also I just discovered another problem with my entry and it had to do with delta time. It cause the speed to run terribly fast than the average gravity can support on other hardware. People could not properly get pass the tree due to that small dilemma. Ill have to avoid using delta next time since its risky to use.
I would recommend avoiding that for all jam games. I only find it necessary if you're trying to make a multiplayer or rhythm game.

Last edited:

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
Keeping @johnwo's drunk state in perspective, I guess I'm glad he made it to the second level of my game. It means it's at least clear enough that a drunken guy can complete at least a single level (i.e. the controls and basic rules were sufficiently understood). ^^

M

Misu

Its not real constructive criticism if you dont elaborate it properly. Take Yals entry for example, you only said its a puzzle game and that was it. You think that was helpful for Yal to know how her entry came out or how much progress she has done? No it does not (although I dpnt know if yal cares) but your review is just not the kind that supports most others.

matharoo

manualman
GameMaker Dev.
I 💩💩💩💩ing hate myself for not including a readme file that said that you could skip the messages with enter. What a mistake. :(

TehPilot

I'm a huge fan of people noting the crash in the ZIP build, not like I posted a fixed version (at least makes it not crash, but you may get stuck instead) shortly after it was first discovered...

...but in spite of that my entry is doing pretty well! I think I should explain a subtle mechanic in light of that:
When you flip a coin, there is a ~1.5 second delay on it. If you press and hold Z, your character will extend their arm, but not flip. The actual flip command occurs on (if I remember correctly) frame 90, and holding the Z key will keep the animation at frame 88. This way, you can press and hold Z and control the release of the coin for some of the trickier or more timing/reflex bases segments.

That being said, some of the "safety" checks on this mechanic was the cause of the error which turned out to be very reproducible: having a coin hit a wall and begin the process of flipping while the player was teleporting out of the level instigated the crash.

I'll have a fully fixed post-Jam build up in a day or two. I'm still contemplating if I want to open source the project for the hell of it, which would require me to clean up my visually sloppy game jam code. I'll expedite that if folks are interested.

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
Technically speaking, 3 hours and a bit. I won't close the topic sooner than that.

Practically speaking, after I wake up the next day, I will close the voting topic, proceed to do the tally, made some last arrangements and publish the results. Either way, it shouldn't be later than 24 hours from now.

D

Deleted member 467

So I just found out that the jam shows my afterward readme file for both things on the readme buttons, fml. I think I was told before, don't remember. Either way it's fine, I still had fun in the jam, still working on Soul Catchers and taking criticism into account.

I'm a huge fan of people noting the crash in the ZIP build, not like I posted a fixed version (at least makes it not crash, but you may get stuck instead) shortly after it was first discovered...
I just play what's in the zip, man. I didn't really have the time to go back through and check if there were fixed versions to download separately.

Your game was cool though. I was stuck for far too long until I figured out I could hold the coin button...

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
Alright, the the voting topic is closed, and I'm about to tally the results. You can expect them in several hours, I suppose.

On a side note, did some reviews stood out to you as particularly helpful? This time, I'm not quite sure whom to choose, there are quite a few good posts alright... ^^'

ghandpivot

On a side note, did some reviews stood out to you as particularly helpful? This time, I'm not quite sure whom to choose, there are quite a few good posts alright...
I've been confused by a lot of reviews this time around. A lot of people write their "reviews" sort of like a presentation of the game for somebody else to read, almost like a youtuber introducing something to his/her audience. Take my game for example, I've recieved a lot of reviews going something like:
"This is a game where balls fly at you from all directions. It gets progressively harder and when you finally fail you get to publish your score to the online highscore list. Neat!"

What confuses me is, who is this for? Surely the reviews are for the developer of the game? Then to whom are you presenting what the game is about? Because I definitely know.
There are some lengthy reviews as well, describing what the game looks like, how to controll it, what your choices are etc. Simply stating how things are without adding any suggestions or thoughts about them.
"It's a fast-paced game with instant death and instant restart". When I read this I think to myself: "Yes. Yes it is...?".

These are nobody's reviews by the way, I made them up but they share the same structure as the real ones.

I'd say give it to several people if you're having a hard time deciding. I'd vote for K-BitCRUSH, not because he did everything right but since I think video reviews are infinitely more helpful and I'd like to see him continue with it and make even better ones for the next jam. My suggestion there is to record the first-time playthrough. Not seeing how people tackle your game when they first boot it is a HUGE waste, as it's the by far most important thing you could possibly show me.

0.Bytes

I've been confused by a lot of reviews this time around. A lot of people write their "reviews" sort of like a presentation of the game for somebody else to read, almost like a youtuber introducing something to his/her audience. Take my game for example, I've recieved a lot of reviews going something like:
"This is a game where balls fly at you from all directions. It gets progressively harder and when you finally fail you get to publish your score to the online highscore list. Neat!"

What confuses me is, who is this for? Surely the reviews are for the developer of the game? Then to whom are you presenting what the game is about? Because I definitely know.
There are some lengthy reviews as well, describing what the game looks like, how to controll it, what your choices are etc. Simply stating how things are without adding any suggestions or thoughts about them.
"It's a fast-paced game with instant death and instant restart". When I read this I think to myself: "Yes. Yes it is...?".

These are nobody's reviews by the way, I made them up but they share the same structure as the real ones.

I'd say give it to several people if you're having a hard time deciding. I'd vote for K-BitCRUSH, not because he did everything right but since I think video reviews are infinitely more helpful and I'd like to see him continue with it and make even better ones for the next jam. My suggestion there is to record the first-time playthrough. Not seeing how people tackle your game when they first boot it is a HUGE waste, as it's the by far most important thing you could possibly show me.

I understand your point, and I agree with it, most of reviews (including mine =p) may be not that helpful for the people who made the game.

But I do it in that way, personally, for 2 main reasons, first it is time, it is pretty hard to give a decent, deep and useful review for 40-50 games, that would take an amount of time that unfortunately I dont have.

The other point is because, in my humble opinion, game jam games are made all with so short time and limited team members and everything(especially the 48 or 72 hours jams, like this) that only the fact of submitt a playable game it is already something to "celebrate" and be proud of.
So I dont like kinda of roast a game, and say that this or that did not work or should have been this way or that way. Even why I believe that many of the things that people will not like in a game jam game the developer already know what it is, and he probably did not do because of resources of time or etc =p (but anyway I agree with anyone who argues that I should not presume what the devoloper already know or not)

Of course that a constructive criticism is always welcome, but I like to focus on what I liked and highlight what worked well, and if there was something that really bothered me I may give a suggestion or a tip that I think it could make the game or the development process improve in the future.

Anyway I understand(and agree) those who dont like shallows reviews

M

Misu

I always look for both sides in my reviews. Not just only pointing out the mistakes or flaws but offering ideas what could possibly bring better advantage for the entries for future development or considerations. Its ok to recognize where your potentials and good sides are but its way more important to know where you are left off in general to build up away from your flaws.

Honestly I did not like how this jam turned out. It was quite great during the jam phase but the voting phase this season has lead to trouble with the community that tears most of us apart. The fun only resides on the jming part since we are free to do what we can apply in our work but the voting part seem to have misunderstandings on comunicating with the participants and certain stuff. I really hate to see this happen even for next jam. I dont know what to expect the next time.

T

TonyStr

I was way to harsh with my reviews, mostly because of an unrelated bad mood. I hope I managed to give some useful feedback, but overral not proud of my comments. Anyway, when is the voting over?

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
The results are out!

Full results

Complete ranking:

Score breakdown spreadsheet

1. penitentiary by @TehPilot
  2. Veiled in Shadows by @The M
  3. Diverge by @Bingdom, @Iodinex64, @KrotoR
  4. Duality by @matharoo
  5. Coin Flipping Simulator by @Kepons
  6. Reflectonauts by @DocNogloff
  7. Sumoball by @ghandpivot
  8. Obverse - Reverse by @Alice, @0.Bytes
  9. UpGo by @Dr. Wolf
  10. UpDownDuckAround by @TonyStr
  11. Reverie by @GhostlyFeline
  12. twowt by @Yal
  13. The Parallel Medal by @Misu
  14. Side By Side by @Dalesome
  15. Teotl by @Fel666
  16. AfroDitus by @Misty
  17. Heads or Tails by @Nallebeorn
  18. The Coin of Janus by @Cloaked Games, @0.Bytes
  19. Pyramid rush by @MikeeyBikeey
  20. Soul Catchers by @Barvix
  21. The Forbidden Bond by @iMilchshake
  22. Ping by @Nocturne
  23. Tossup Shootout by @Sammi3, @JacobV
  24. BattleDancers by @Joh
  25. Games by @Coded Games
  26. Mirror Image by @Matthew Brown
  27. Treasure Hunt by @Siolfor the Jackal
  28. Bit of Gold by @S1lv3r
  29. """""4D""""" Viking Warfare by @Mocgames998
  30. Rulesquest2 - Oxymoron by @Adrien Dittrick
  31. Nightsideslide by @Wraithious
  32. Hunted by @Snail Man
  33. Verizon Horizon by Team JBOMB
  34. Bit'N'Slash by @Turkish Coffee
  35. NO PAZ by @Freedom2Fight
  36. Endling by @Oyakiiv
  37. TwainShadow by @SSJCoder

Best-ofs:

Best use of TWO SIDES OF THE SAME COIN: twowt by @Yal
Best Concept: Diverge by @Bingdom, @Iodinex64, @KrotoR; penitentiary by @TehPilot
Best Presentation: Coin Flipping Simulator by @Kepons
Best Story: Veiled in Shadows by @The M
Best Devlog: Veiled in Shadows by @The M

Best reviewers: @Misu and @The M for detailed and helpful written reviews, @ghandpivot and @K-BitCRUSH for complete video reviews, and @johnwo for entertaining gameplay montage.

Other Jam prizes

In addition to getting the special banners, the top 3 entrants and best-of winners will be featured in the Hall of Fame.
Also, @TehPilot can choose the theme for the next Jam when the time comes.

Community prizes

Please don't forget to check if you aren't eligible for one of community prizes contributed to this Jam's pool, and poke the prize givers if necessary~!
(if you are the one giving away the prize, especially the one for specific entries, please contact those who should receive the prize)

The GMC Jam is officially finished!

ghandpivot

Cheers for the jam everybody! I had a blast creating a much quicker and smaller game and I think I'll keep trying to optimize my ideas as it made the whole jamming experience more fun!

@0.Bytes @Misu
That's not quite what I said though. I'm very much for pointing out what is good, I'm very much for pointing out what is bad. I'm against pointing out what just is and leave it at that.
"I liked the bouncyness! 9/10" is a way better review than "This entry is about a man who walks along the beach while wearing a shirt and looking at the ocean and thinking about stuff. You walk with the arrow keys". The first thing contains information, the second one does not. A review that only points out what was nice is also a good review and better than one which doesn't really point out anything.

0.Bytes

Congrats to the winners and everyone else that joined the jam xD

And @Alice great work on the medals ! I loved the @TehPilot medal and the @Misu medal haha, they look great !

JacobV

Congrats everyone! I'll admit I wasn't a huge fan of this jam, but it was still fun making art and watching reviews come in. Hopefully next run will be more enjoyable.

M

Misu

Woooo. I won a prize. Anyway, congrats to all. Next jam will hopefully be better once I prepare myself even more this time. I didnt had enough time to dedicate with this entry so Im gonna try to put time for the next.

Btw @Alice i was wondering something since i notice there is a reviewer part in the hall of fame thread. Why isn't that ever updated as well?

The M

Second, eh? Well, given how varied the votes were I'm both surprised and more than happy with that. Congratulations to @TehPilot and everyone else who participated!

Now I can't wait for the next one...!

Bingdom

Googledom
Congrats everyone!

Not much of a fan from a few of the discussions/reviews that occurred here. I hope next Jam is a little better. ;)

Last edited:
D

DocNogloff

It's better than the 5th.
...which is better than the 6th... but that's the highest I've ever placed in any jam, ever :D
This was really unexpected, considering how much more work I put into previous jams compared to this one.
I guess a good idea pays off :)

Coded Games

Well that was fun! Even though my game got a low rank, I’m glad that some of you liked it. When is the next Jam? Aren’t these usually around every 3 months?

0.Bytes

The mistake is because of the title in the first line, I think that line was not on the sheet yesterday.

Nice job everyone. There were some good games here -- several of which might be worth continuing. Maybe even marketing, who knows?

And kudos to @Alice, as usual, for an extremely well-organized and executed Jam. @Ragarnak has big shoes to fill.

EDIT: not that Alice's feet are too big. I'm sure they're quite attractive.
I think that this jam was not as good as the previous, but we definetely had some pretty cool games, that can be a "real" project, I can remember I 4-5 game with much potential. Although the games were not that good, I think we had more clever concepts this time, which is good =p

The M

What @chance said. These past jams have been great!

I see you updated your Best Devlog showcase! ^^
(huh, it seems you covered all ranks from top 3 in the new GMC Jams :eek: )
Gotta go with tradition. Too bad I never got fourth or I'd have covered top 5. :p

I think I will try again sometime to make a rouge-like game that is a real project, but I would start from scratch and write a new movement and combat system and items that allow actual tactical combat instead of what I ended up with this jam. I've been doing procedural generated content since I learned to program and somehow I've never made a proper rouge-like! (To be fair, mostly because I didn't have time. But it still wasn't quite as good as I would've hoped!)

Status
Not open for further replies.