GMC Jam Discussion The Extremely Aestival GMC Jam #5 Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Misu

I have reviewed 10 entries so far and more to come tomorrow. Take the time to check them out if you like (even if it is not your game at all because you might learn a thing or two about what I say about the other entries as well)

Coded Games

Ok I've updated my reviews. I got a couple more games working but most of the ones that used to not work ended up having a vertex shader compilation error. I also played a number of games again, updating the ranking of some and added more comments.

O

Oyakiiv

@Wraithious your game isnt bad, though the equipment menu is buggy, especially if you equip/unequip one too many times...leading you to not be able to equip or use anything, or that what it seems like anyway, I noticed items like the stake only work when there are vampires in the room as well, but it doesnt work at all when the equip menu bugs out =P

W

Wraithious

Yep, in the readme_please I stated that the menu is bugged, and how to still use it. As for the stake, you would only need to use it if vampires are around, same with the flash cam, but the holy water item doesn't work at all for some weird reason, other than that everything works, except my night and day lighting effects, sadly those don't work correctly :(

Altho when you enter the houses you can see the sun or moon for a couple seconds in the back windows, weird.

O

Oyakiiv

right...I might have read that in the read_me...but my memory isnt too good...I had actually written down the controls on paper before starting the game...then I found them listed in the game XP

O

Oyakiiv

just finished playing and reviewing 5 games... my current top 3 are

games by robert
No Paz by Freedom2Fight (played around with my anti-virus software to get this working)
rulesquest2 - oxymoron by adrien dittrick

these arent my final results and these will change as I play more, I am just putting these here right now till I eventually make my post in the voting topic...gonna reserve a spot now actually...

M

Misu

@SSJCoder I cant help but to think that you have clearly no sense on voting and what I saw seems that you dont know how to truly evaluate a game. I never seen such terrible voting evaluation in my life. I dont know who insist you to vote or why but it looks more like intentional boost up to a person instead of real voting. Have you even tried all the entries?...

I've decided to opt out of voting coz I'm too intimidated by Misu :p
(but more seriously, I realized too late that I just don't have enough time. I didn't even have enough time to make my own game X) )

HayManMarc

@SSJCoder I cant help but to think that you have clearly no sense on voting and what I saw seems that you dont know how to truly evaluate a game. I never seen such terrible voting evaluation in my life. I dont know who insist you to vote or why but it looks more like intentional boost up to a person instead of real voting. Have you even tried all the entries?...
A bit harsh, but Misu has a point. Ssjcoder's votes will probably not be counted without the obligatory accompanying reviews. One word reviews probably won't cut the mustard.

Last edited:

ghandpivot

I must say that I too was annoyed when I read the reviews in question. Making and posting a meme/joke game is making fun of yourself and your own efforts, which in the end of the day is totally fine. Making and posting meme/joke votes on the other hand is making fun of everybody else. Even though I didn't have the time for this jam, I know a lot of people put tons of effort, heart and soul into making their games and actually really want to win the jams. Voting on your friends or based on inside jokes is respectless. We did a lot of that before (e.g. when the whole dadio experience was new and we memed out of this world) and it is something that shouldn't be done as it among other things totally bums out newcomers who'd love to start entering the jams.

M

Misu

btw @Adrien Dittrick I played your game and I have to congrats because I really liked it. I am currently writing the review for it and will show it later along with 7 more entries I did. Plus I actually recorded myself playing them (just for once) so I'll upload a video later this afternoon of my playthrough of those 7 entries. :)

TehPilot

Making and posting meme/joke votes on the other hand is making fun of everybody else. Even though I didn't have the time for this jam, I know a lot of people put tons of effort, heart and soul into making their games and actually really want to win the jams. Voting on your friends or based on inside jokes is respectless.
To add on to this: there are less entries and (seemingly) less voters so far. In a more threadbare competition, the presence of joke reviews is more noticable.

(I imagine my concerns about low turnout will be abated when more folks post their reviews, especially those who vote on all the games and not just a top 3/5/10.)

S

SSJCoder

Fair enough don't count my votes. I do have to point out though, if you pay attention to my post, it puts @Barvix first, yet in the comment/review, it says I enjoyed the music.

Barvix didn't even make the music for that lmao, literally 0% of his work accredits him the vote. I mean really, I just didn't realise you guys took these jams so seriously =P

Never the less, as for whether I played all the entries, yes, but I just won't bother reviewing any of them. Except Fel's entry, which is just awesome, I'd review that any day =D

Last edited:

The M

It's been interesting to read some of the reviews so far. I feel like I should explain some things about my game.

First, the theme I went with was power and on the flip side, power abuse. The game is not really about light and darkness or any such thing but about having and (not) taking responsibility for great power (which goes for both the player and the "enemies" of the story). Originally the game was going to have one more level and a completely different ending but I ran out of time and had to cut it short. In that level you'd have had your revenge and would now continue killing targets that Wisper chose for the sake of it (going against the president or some police official). The level would have ended with a trap, injuring Veil and having you slowly shamble into safety (having dropped the sword somewhere) until you collapsed behind a dumpster and lost consciousness. You were supposed to feel the wrongness of it all and really, quitting before you even pick the sword up is probably the happiest ending.

M

Misty

SSJcoder said:
I mean really, I just didn't realise you guys took these jams so seriously =P
Dis my life, boi
GM Jams are the only thing I have to live for.
Jams are love, jams are life.

I have to agree, rating Teotl and Soul Catcher as better than mine, is most certainly a travesty.

But overall, the worst reviewers are not SSJcoder, I've seen people who vote for Nocturne's Pong game as the top 3 games. Seriously? At least SSJcoder voted for my game and not pong.

Last edited:

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
and really, quitting before you even pick the sword up is probably the happiest ending.
The problem is, if I quit, I don't feel like I accomplish anything at all. It just feels like an avoidance, because any game can be quitted from, whether it likes it or not; so the quitting isn't quite a part of a game design.

As it is now, the game actively prevents the player from leaving the room the sword is in by putting up an invisible barrier, making backtracking impossible. It feels like the game really wants you to pick up the sword (more so if player would just be able to backtrack freely), and the fact that it can be quitted at this point is just because the game can't help it. What I would prefer if the invisible barrier thing was repurposed, and maybe placed somewhere in the middle of corridor leading to the sword room. Instead of blocking the player, it would either show some extra dialogue and/or alternative ending, or just fade to black and closing. Even with the game simply closing on its own, it would feel a lot more like the game gave you the choice to answer or refuse the call of the sword; and with such a choice, it would make the main part of the gameplay more meaningful (as player can avert it in the first place).

M

Misty

. I never seen such terrible voting evaluation in my life.
Also, someone voted my game as rank 33...Ok. maybe I don't deserve first place, but 33??? Seriously? How does Pong get a better rating than mine? It seems unfair. Some of these reviews seem...biased.

S

SSJCoder

Also, someone voted my game as rank 33...Ok. maybe I don't deserve first place, but 33??? Seriously? How does Pong get a better rating than mine? It seems unfair. Some of these reviews seem...biased.
Wow, who would dare rate your game 33? OMG, dis nut good.
Trump is bast prasidant !!!

W

Wraithious

So I had some time today and fixed and polished my game, this is the state I wanted my game to be in when I entered it, and I commend all those that joined this jam and put serious work into their entries, making a game that is complete and bugless and 'beautiful' for a 72 hour game jam is next to impossible, especially when one person is doing the entire thing, congrats to all. but as for @Misu your reviews are probably the worst reviews in worst reviews HISTORY! where do you get off questioning me on why I bother to join these game jams? you should just delete your entire voting topic allmost all it is are just angry misguided digs at practically everyone, sorry no one is as perfect as you.

D

Deleted member 467

but as for @Misu your reviews are probably the worst reviews in worst reviews HISTORY! where do you get off questioning me on why I bother to join these game jams? you should just delete your entire voting topic allmost all it is are just angry misguided digs at practically everyone, sorry no one is as perfect as you.
Misu's reviews are probably the best and most thought out of everyone's here as he actually takes time to fully review a game rather than a quick sentence or two per game. And he's not taking shots at people, he is simply giving criticism in his reviews. If you really got offended at that then maybe you should rethink what you're doing.

W

Wraithious

Misu's reviews are probably the best and most thought out of everyone's here as he actually takes time to fully review a game rather than a quick sentence or two per game. And he's not taking shots at people, he is simply giving criticism in his reviews. If you really got offended at that then maybe you should rethink what you're doing.
It's one thing to be critical of a game, it's totally another to bash someone for trying, that's lowlife scummism right there

More words doesn't necessarily mean they're better. Misu's reviews to me look no different from anyone elses really except padded out much much more. I have no problem with it either way, short or long, you do you.
I prefer to keep my thoughts short and concise when I can.

After skimming some reviews, I didn't think anyone would have any trouble at all with my platforming. I was worried like usual that it was too easy but I guess not. Anyone having trouble making jumps, you jump higher the faster you run, so sprinting is important. You don't need to stack the enemies to make any jumps, I just thought it would be funny to let you.
I regret that I only had less than a day to work on this, I probably shouldn't have submitted but I feel like if I miss a jam then I'll keep missing them and I usually enjoy them. Helps me keep my gml fresh.

S

SSJCoder

I regret that I only had less than a day to work on this, I probably shouldn't have submitted
Hey let's not forget, the Jam is about being a community, your game doesn't have to be perfect. Otherwise I don't know who will bother honestly, everybody has busy lives =P (probably if all of you guys didn't submit who have almost no time, this Jam would be a ghost town lol - not that it already isn't xD)

I'm sure even Nocturne, made only a simple game because he had no time in his hands - yet he wanted to contribute to us who take part in the Jam.

If that was my only problem then I'd agree, but I didn't really have a good idea this time. The theme just didn't gel with me at all, and the only ideas I had were obvious ones which isn't that interesting to me.

JacobV

I feel the theme was the major problem in this jam; which is why I chose not to participate, besides offering my art. It didn't really connect with me. I think that might be the reason why there were so few entries this time around.

S

SSJCoder

If that was my only problem then I'd agree, but I didn't really have a good idea this time. The theme just didn't gel with me at all, and the only ideas I had were obvious ones which isn't that interesting to me.
I remember when the jam used to be filled with joke games which I actually enjoyed. If that isn't the case anymore, then I don't know why I'm here

Coded Games

This is actually my first. I've meant to enter before but the Jam always ends up being when I'm super busy.

I actually made a game for one earlier but I never submitted it. I think the theme/handicap was that you only could use black and white and one primary color.

Edit: Oh it was GMC Jam 10 the theme was foreign. Lol, I remember I made a scrolling shooter called Chuck Norris vs. Kim Jong Un Nuclear Space Battle Royale. I wonder if I still have the GM project for that.

Last edited:
G

gamemakermike

Id be happy with last place too can im just glad to participate before I couldnt even think of that nor was I aware of any game jams.I came in 72nd place in the last game jam out of 400 entrys,alot of them were really good and better than mine, its very cool to be apart of the game jams

Coded Games

That's basically may stance also. I don't really care to much what place I get, I just want to get into Jams to have a reason to make new stuff. Although, I do hope that people like my game.

matharoo

manualman
GameMaker Dev.
Id be happy with last place too can im just glad to participate before I couldnt even think of that nor was I aware of any game jams.I came in 72nd place in the last game jam out of 400 entrys,alot of them were really good and better than mine, its very cool to be apart of the game jams
72 out of 400 is not bad, if that's what you're hinting at.
P.S.: Which jam?

O

Oyakiiv

this is my second, I found this forum, then watched jam 3 go down, I entered jam 4. placed 2nd to last but here I am again to see if I could do any better! though in the time between jams I had virtually logged no gamemaker time, but I gained a wife who helped with the art and wrote the dialogue for this jam!

the actually experience is a bit stressful, but by the end of it you kind of have a runners high, from all the work you manage to do in such a short time and if your like me, you also learn a good bit about game design and some code functions that I should have taken the time to read up on ages ago...the 'with' statement for example, which destroys what I learned in the last jam, because it is way simpler to use than setting the script to target other instead of self, though I'm sure its good for something...

anyway I ramble... I LOVE JAMS NOW!!!

ghandpivot

the use of theme isn't really apparent here
Well it's not about literal coins, I give you that. I was going for you and the "enemies" being both the kickers and the balls at the same time. You must avoid the balls to survive, yet at the same time approach them in order to score. You are the pusher while also being the pushed, and so are they.
A bit less in your face than a lot of other entries, perhaps too vague though.

M

Misu

@Wraithious Let me tell you something about constructive criticism. Its NOT about only good positive stuff and butterfly with roses because thats only to reflect your accomplishments but you not learning from what you left out on improving. A review needs to have the negative side as well to show where you can start improving because without that, you are going to end up stuck on the same level of game development you always have been where people will still see your flaws and never get appealed to them. I wrote to point out because I want you to progress, to get better at it, because I want to see you get way better than anyone else on this Jam. I do not say these stuff for opposing, I never do. Its part of criticism. I don't know why you are so fuzzed about getting bad reviews. You know something, every jam I have participated I get nothing but bad reviews and not so great results from my games. I always get around 40th to 30th place all the time and I never complaint about it. I had horrible reviews, like that time I did the prehistoric theme, people removed ton of points off my entry just because I said the theme was bad in the game. With that entry I manage to get at least 20th place, that was the most top rank I have ever gotten in my jam experience and I never gotten better since then. And here I am, still jamming and happy doing so because to me, winning doesnt even matter at all. Im only in this because I want to spend a great time with you all in the community, and at the same time learn from my experience as well. There is nothing more I ever care about in a jam. Sure, winning is great and all but its not important to me, and its not important to many people here. Dont take my word for it, take it from these

That's basically may stance also. I don't really care to much what place I get, I just want to get into Jams to have a reason to make new stuff.
This is to gain opportunity to have a good time with the community and auto-evaluating yourself to get better at making videogames. You can't push people on accepting your game or giving it a great score. You get what you get and you have to accept it. Whether they have not read your Read Me, mentioned they dont know what to do at all, or by opinion just did not like the game, you cant force others into changing the score to the high top rank. If you still prefer pushing around people into force-loving your game, then you are better off not participating in anything at all. We are here to have a great time and not to build any latter.

matharoo

manualman
GameMaker Dev.
@Wraithious Let me tell you something about constructive criticism. Its NOT about only good positive stuff and butterfly with roses because thats only to reflect your accomplishments but you not learning from what you left out on improving. A review needs to have the negative side as well to show where you can start improving because without that, you are going to end up stuck on the same level of game development you always have been where people will still see your flaws and never get appealed to them. I wrote to point out because I want you to progress, to get better at it, because I want to see you get way better than anyone else on this Jam. I do not say these stuff for opposing, I never do. Its part of criticism. I don't know why you are so fuzzed about getting bad reviews. You know something, every jam I have participated I get nothing but bad reviews and not so great results from my games. I always get around 40th to 30th place all the time and I never complaint about it. I had horrible reviews, like that time I did the prehistoric theme, people removed ton of points off my entry just because I said the theme was bad in the game. With that entry I manage to get at least 20th place, that was the most top rank I have ever gotten in my jam experience and I never gotten better since then. And here I am, still jamming and happy doing so because to me, winning doesnt even matter at all. Im only in this because I want to spend a great time with you all in the community, and at the same time learn from my experience as well. There is nothing more I ever care about in a jam. Sure, winning is great and all but its not important to me, and its not important to many people here. Dont take my word for it, take it from these

This is to gain opportunity to have a good time with the community and auto-evaluating yourself to get better at making videogames. You can't push people on accepting your game or giving it a great score. You get what you get and you have to accept it. Whether they have not read your Read Me, mentioned they dont know what to do at all, or by opinion just did not like the game, you cant force others into changing the score to the high top rank. If you still prefer pushing around people into force-loving your game, then you are better off not participating in anything at all. We are here to have a great time and not to build any latter.
True, I love Misu's reviews. Last jam he shed light on how my jam games were the same, and that they needed to be more dynamic, more varied. And look at my game now. :p

D

Deleted member 467

With misus review and some others I got insight into flaws of my game and how to improve it, as well as stuff to help me improve for the next jam I compete in.

@Misu i liked your game ;-; to me it was top 10

GMWolf

aka fel666
Well, I agree with all the review of my game so far: Not enough levels - ran out of time.
Doesn't fit the theme either - only got the time to implement one of the two faces...
Also, I could have made a better introduction, explaining how to make the game.
next time, I won't be so ambitious with the project...

0.Bytes

Game jams, in my humble opinion, are for learning, meet new people (devs, artists, etc) and to see what you actually can do with the game jam restrictions (like time, theme). Anything else besides that you simply should not worry about, it is cool be well ranked and everything, but dont take it too serious.

It is also good because we will have a ton of feedback of all kind, people who will love, who will hate or will not give a 💩💩💩💩 for what you've done, and those feedback are a great opportunity to be better.

Anyway I think that every feedback and critic that is made with respect is a good thing, whether they liked what you done or not, wheter it is a 1000 words review or 1 setence review, it is always a good opportunity to know where you might improve, what are can do better and all that blablabla =p

M

Misu

Game jams, in my humble opinion, are for learning, meet new people (devs, artists, etc) and to see what you actually can do with the game jam restrictions (like time, theme). Anything else besides that you simply should not worry about, it is cool be well ranked and everything, but dont take it too serious.

It is also good because we will have a ton of feedback of all kind, people who will love, who will hate or will not give a **** for what you've done, and those feedback are a great opportunity to be better.

Anyway I think that every feedback and critic that is made with respect is a good thing, whether they liked what you done or not, wheter it is a 1000 words review or 1 setence review, it is always a good opportunity to know where you might improve, what are can do better and all that blablabla =p
Same thing I said earlier but nice to see you understand the same

Status
Not open for further replies.