GMC Jam Discussion The Extremely Aestival GMC Jam #5 Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DocNogloff

I'd really like to make something with this theme since I haven't entered any jams since the first one on the new forum, but all the ideas I can think of so far have been way closer to the jam themes I've used in the past (Day and Night & Synchronise in particular) than this one. There's quite a bit of overlap unless you're willing to go really deep and philosophical on this theme!

Joh

surprised at all the negativity, this is one of the best themes yet.
Quite open, not restrictive yet still specific.
theres a lot of take you can have of it, all unique.
It doesnt restrict gameplay/type like "one button, one room"

lots of potential. wonder if ill join. considering it.

M

Matthew Brown

I"m gonna slightly retool an old idea I had for this one. It might not be the most direct or accurate interpretation of the theme, but I think it fits well enough to work.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Not sure if I'll have enough energy to do something after 45 hours of work this week, but I've got an idea that's simple to implement.

0.Bytes

The theme is hard, but not that hard, I think it is a good theme, and i think you can do a lot with this theme, it is just not hold too much on the "coin" stuff, and make something about two sides, what imo could be, something about good/evil, nigth/day, fast/slow, it is just no be too literal with "2 sides of the same coin", I interpret this theme more like "2 sides of the same thing/stuff/whatever"

TehPilot

I've got something. I may also have a little bit of time to squeeze it in (some arrangements were not as conflicting as I expected). It'll be smaller scale in comparison to the rest of my entries, but I'll give it a go.

HayManMarc

Well, I started on an idea, but it doesn't really fit the theme. Perhaps I can shoehorn it in somehow. Also, I work all 3 days, so I probably won't finish... Especially since I'm using GMS2 and not as familiar with it as I'd like to be. We'll see how it goes.

Anyway, off to work! Back at it in about 9 hours. Lol

G

Geoff Moore

I only just heard about this, I've never entered a short-deadline jam before, I'm really slow/bad at making games, and I don't have a clue how to meet the theme. So I'm in!

I'll be posting progress on Twitter (@RideTheMammoth).

Last edited by a moderator:
G

GVmG

I have a good news and a bad news.

The good news is that I fiished the arc of the anime I was watching, so I'll have all the time of the jam free.

The bad news is that I have no clue what to do yet.

Another bad news I didn't anticipate in the first line of this message is that I also want to watch the other arcs because I'm 2 seasons behind on the entire anime. So I'll try to jam but my weeb instincts might stop me. I'll still try regardless.

M

Matthew Brown

A lot of bugs to iron out and mostly content to add, but I've got the base structure of the game up and running.

This is all I've got to show for my effort.

2ad82a1e-fd05-47e2-9136-2a7adb2d3f91.png It's pretty small but... Can you see what it is?

Naw, there's more than that. But that's an important part. Kind of.

G

GVmG

I just woke up.

I slept for like 2 hours at most.

Let's do this.

EDIT: ok I have a logo and a very rough idea of what I want to do.

Edit2: oh yeah music, I'm listening to the entirety of Helblinde's songs (excluding his works with Fractal Dreamers, a duo with his wife). That's 113 songs (+6 album covers since those are image files). They're mostly dance/electronic stuff with heavy bass and similar things, fairly fast, very good to wake me up.

O

Oyakiiv

had to work today, did some concept art and discussion with my wife beforehand and she did some work on bg tiles and a couple sprites while I was out.
we have a neat idea with a side scroller base defense game! will probably put up some screens later when there is actually something to show.

G

GVmG

This is what I have so far, showcasing the main mechanic of the game. Obviously this has been done thousands of times before, but meh, I had no other idea so I'm going with this. I will probably prevent the player from changing between day/night and make it more puzzle-based, so that you have to use switches and such (that way I dont even have to fix how you can get stuck inside blocks as shown near the end of that gif). Right now, blocks can be either always active, or only active during day or night.

With more blocks and stuff in the bg, the shift between day and night wont be as epilepsy-inducing, as well. I want to add grey stuff so that'll be more easy on the eyes. I also have other block sprites ready.

And then optimization. Despite a minimum of 4 instance_place calls per frame, this is rocking a solid 60fps min, depending on what applications I have open it goes up to 200 min. Very positively surprised by that. There is no optimization whatsoever, and I'm even using a for loop for horizontal and vertical movement when hitting a wall instead of move_contact_solid, which I've found in other platforming engines, is faster for this stuff. But idk if I can make it use that instead, in my implementation. I'll see. (EDIT2/update: I can't currently make it use move_contact_solid without entirely changing how I check collisions, which I don't plan to do anyway, not this early at least. And yes, the gif is at 24fps because I reset my sharex settings a few days ago)

As for music and sfx, there's still nothing. I'll probably take a little break and design some puzzles.

EDIT: also ignore that in my gif, you can jump three blocks high so the entirety of the time I'm switching day/night to jump on the blocks on the left, I dont have to because the ones that are on the wall are still possible jumps lol

EDIT3: at least if I dont finish it I still have something to submit: a decent platforming engine with an interesting mechanic :D

O

Oyakiiv

just got done with my addition to the project...the art my wife did is good...but she made it all too small... sadly she isnt used to making sprites so she doesnt use the full canvas... basically the real problem is that the street lamps are taller than the houses...still love her tho <3 anyway off to bed. gotta do more art, level design, and hopefully the start of actual gameplay tomorrow!

GMWolf

aka fel666
just got done with my addition to the project...the art my wife did is good...but she made it all too small... sadly she isnt used to making sprites so she doesnt use the full canvas... basically the real problem is that the street lamps are taller than the houses...still love her tho <3 anyway off to bed. gotta do more art, level design, and hopefully the start of actual gameplay tomorrow!
What she made a mistake on a time sensitive game jam project???!?

That's it man... Its ground for divorce!
Jk

HayManMarc

Log 1

I made a logo. (See above.)

Then I needed some menu buttons to match the logo. I whipped up some down and dirty backgrounds and told 'em to parallax. Then I got the menu working. Here's a big ol' gif...

I've been working on sprites, too. But, still no game yet. lol​

so the jam rules say these;
Code:
[*]the entry must be available as a Windows executable file, exported as a stand-alone file or as a ZIP; installers are not allowed
[*]the entry might be exported to other platforms as well (such as HTML5 or Android), but the Windows executable must be available
That means we need to make a playable version for Windows for sure right? We can't just make it for Android? and put Windows version with a working file but not fully playable because of having no gamepads or anything?

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
Yeah. You might or might not make an Android or HTML5 version, but Windows Desktop version is required. And yes, it cannot be gamepad-only. It must be perfectly playable with nothing more than a keyboard or mouse, though, of course, if you want to support gamepad as well, you are free to.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Made a temporary logo. Actually kinda liked it so I might keep it in the end. Gonna do gameplay now, while watching some LPs of Observer.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Jam progress: got the drawing code to work, sort of. I'm actually thinking this could work now, but we'll see about that once I get gameplay code in there too.

upload_2017-8-26_15-39-28.png

I have a test version ready. I don't have any time until Sunday night now, so if people are willing to debug it in the meantime, that would be awesome. I don't want to take time away from other jammers though. https://cloakedgames.itch.io/the-coin-of-janus

I put it on itch.io so I can edit the page after the jam has ended and the topic is frozen. I'll include a direct download on the games topic when I'm done in addition to itch.io.

G

Geoff Moore

Progress! This took far too long :U

I'm going to try and draw all the art I need today and put everything together tomorrow... hopefully. If anyone else is posting stuff on Twitter let me know, I'd like to follow along and see how you're doing! I'm @RideTheMammoth

T

Teroil

Ahh I'm so rusty, haven't used Game Maker for 3 months :D
I'm actually going to try to make something for this jam, it's been a long time since I took part in a game jam. Luckily I have the entire game planned out, now I only need to bring it to life :D

ghandpivot

I've got 3 hours. 3 HOURS. I'll put something together just because the theme seems fun, not really sure if I have time to produce anything interesting though, but I've got an idea.
Would it be right to interpret the theme as something being both good and bad at the same time, or would that be a bit off?

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
Would it be right to interpret the theme as something being both good and bad at the same time, or would that be a bit off?
Dunno how about others, for me it's as close to the meaning of theme as one can get. That, or a literal coin with its sides being relevant.

Status
Not open for further replies.