GMC Jam Discussion The Experimental GMC Jam #3 Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micah_DS

Sent messages to @johnwo and @Nallebeorn to give out the game prizes. Congrats guys!

On a different note, sorry everyone that I missed the playing and voting of the games. I don't have a super great excuse either. Truth is, I played Tales of Berseria in my free time because it's been a while since I got to really sit back and unwind from all the work in my life and just and throw hours and hours into a game, follow along a good story, enjoy a fun battle system, etc. It's been awesome. Uh but yeah, next jam I expect to be more involved than ever before, with a better game entry and full voting and reviews, perhaps even video reviews...perhaps.

In addition to my Tales of binge, during the voting phase, I was working on audio that was going to be for a GMS2 Beta Jam 2 game with @Alice, but she's been too busy and it had to be dropped. Aw well. Cool part though is that the music I made so far can be used in my Metroid-ish game that I started up again, which is actually a revival of a very small game that I attempted to make for the GMC Jam 1.

I

Ixlegraw

@Ixlegraw Congratulations on all the awards! I was rooting for Chronobreak and anxiously reading all the reviews for it as though it were my own game! Well deserved.
Aww thanks! :D I didn't expect to have someone like the game as much ahahaha I really appreciate it :)

matharoo

manualman
GameMaker Dev.
Discussion: Is it unfair that games made by individuals and those by teams are judged on the same ground?
Question: Since the idea of not permitting teams in the GMC Jam is highly unlikely, could there be a one-man jam in the future (here on the GMC)?

W

Wraithious

Congradulations to everyone! it was another fun, exciting and challenging game jam and I look foreward to the next one!

Oh if anyone wants to see it you can find the working version of my game here for Android. and ONLY Android...
Unfortunatly I cannot release it for windows because it still has an audio crash on exiting the game, i posted a topic about it in programming but apparently no one knows why (0 replies in the week the topic has been up)

Last edited by a moderator:

dadio

Potato Overlord
GMC Elder
You could say it is "unfair" the individual vs team - but it actually takes a lot of time and effort co-ordinating efforts and communicating and getting everything together in such a short timeframe when you are in a team - especially if there is a time-zone difference.
Anyway, I think the Jam is less about judging/winning and more about participating, learning new things, community interaction and feedback.

sylvain_l

damn, got the same top 3 in my vote... in the wrong order :p

And the lucky winner for my spriter community prize is....

so winner is : 16. Glitch in the Game by @Ruhar

and if you are curious to know why I used the seed 649
Code:
myseed = ord("T")+ord("I")+ord("M")+ord("E")+ord(" ")+ord("L")+ord("O")+ord("O")+ord("P");

random_set_seed(myseed);
winner = irandom_range(1,37);

show_message("seed:"+ string(myseed)+"#winner:"+string(winner));

Discussion: Is it unfair that games made by individuals and those by teams are judged on the same ground?
Question: Since the idea of not permitting teams in the GMC Jam is highly unlikely, could there be a one-man jam in the future (here on the GMC)?
as it is unfair that people who are professionnal compete against hobbyist or students, as lucky one who are talented at programming & graphism & music compete other who only master one of those skill, etc... no rule can be perfectly fair (it's too subjective)

but if you wish, you can organize a one (wo)man jam ^^ (as other members already organized some community jam)

JacobV

Wow, 4th place! I really wasn't expecting that, especially not on my first jammed game. This was really fun, and great job to all the participants!

ghandpivot

Cheers for 6th place (which is a tradition by now :p) and best reviewer!
See you all next time!

Last edited:

The M

5th place? I'll gladly take it. My game was a bit niche this time around so it's really a great score. Congratulations to the winners and to everyone who managed to participate!

S

Sinaz20

Congratulations everyone.

Watch out, though... FredFredrickson and I are coming for the prize next time :D

D

Diptoman

Congrats to all winners and everyone else for participating and reviewing! Was fun, like always.

D

dj_midknight

Had a good time with the Jam. Happy with where I ranked, and looking forward to taking a look at where I failed with this entry and improve on the next one. Not bad though. I had only been using GMS for about 1 month at the start of this whole thing.

Congrats to all who participated! See you again on the next go round.

I

Ixlegraw

Congratulations to everyone, both makers and reviewers! Thanks to all who enjoyed and voted for Chronobreak, bringing it to 2nd place and winning two special awards.

I make it a point that in the game jams we have here in our community, I do my best to incorporate the theme to the main gameplay mechanic rather than the story, which is why I focus on arcade-styled games. This is also the reason why I've never really included a story to my games and why I don't add in-game tutorials (I always try (*try*) to make the core mechanic as easy to understand and grasp as possible).

// *try* - it's a really big risk to not include in-game tutorials, but that's part of my learning process which is more important to me than ensuring a winning game

I hope that Chronobreak wasn't a pain to the eyes though. I may have overdone the flashing and shaking and particle effects.

Also, I'm sorry I couldn't review this time around. It was a busy week at school (I originally planned not to join, but I chose to spend a few sleepless nights to juggle schoolwork and the jam since I liked the theme).

Anyways, I can't wait for the next jam. Hopefully I've already had a good grasp of the whole 72-hour game dev thing especially since I make everything from code - art - music all on my own. Speaking of which, @matharoo : working alone gives you full control of your game and really allows you to recreate what you imagine the game to be and feel, so it's not really much of a disadvantage as compared to teams.

'Til the next jam! :D

johnwo

I am sorry that I did not vote.
On saturday a family tragedy occured, and I will not be active here for some time.

F

FunkyB

That was a lot of fun. For once, I finished a game! There is something very helpful about having a deadline. You are forced to work on the essentials.

I want to thank Alice for doing everything she did for the Jam. I will definitely be here for the next one.

R

Rusty

You see, succeeding in a timed development competition is about using the time you have in the most effective way.

I had about 8 hours for the Jam, the only way I was going to be able to enter is if I picked up a teammate. A Jam is never going to be fair, people are always going to have different timetables over the Jam, so while one person might get the full 72 hours, another might get 12. Honestly, disabling teams wouldn't make the competition fair it would just exclude time pressed people like me from entering at all.

ghandpivot

You see, succeeding in a timed development competition is about using the time you have in the most effective way.

I had about 8 hours for the Jam, the only way I was going to be able to enter is if I picked up a teammate. A Jam is never going to be fair, people are always going to have different timetables over the Jam, so while one person might get the full 72 hours, another might get 12. Honestly, disabling teams wouldn't make the competition fair it would just exclude time pressed people like me from entering at all.
I think it's nice to have teams, it makes the quality of the games better and allows people with little time to enter. That being said, your argument is weird. It is not unfair that people have different amount of time available for jamming, that's just reality. We all get 72 hours, the competition rules are the same for everyone. If you show up a few hours late for a race and can't catch up with the others who've already been jogging for 3 hours, would giving you a bike to catch up with them make the race fair?

A competition where it's teams vs singles is unfair. People who put in 15 hours shouldn't make the same progress as someone who puts in 50, no matter if they had less time available for jamming. That being said, the jam isn't such a competition. It clearly states that we're all allowed to make teams, and once again the rules are thus the same for everyone, making it fair. Teams are fun. It's the social part of game development and it's one of the more interesting parts.

Micah_DS

The perspective I've gained from doing the game jams thus far is that everyone should just vote and review as they think is best. Why? Because games mean different things to different gamers and people have differing ideals, etc.

I propose that ranking the games is much more of a personal thing than it is a universal thing. If one looks at it from this perspective, the game jam voting is already fair as is, putting together everyone's individual thoughts and feelings together to see the result of which games come out on top as a result of everyone's individual feelings and opinions, as opposed to pushing certain values onto gamers that we might feel strongly about while others would disagree with.

So I don't really see any more talk of 'lots of time vs no time' or 'single dev vs team dev' really going anywhere. I mean, some people might think it best to just vote on a game based on the game itself, totally ignoring the time put into it, while another person might value a less polished game more if it took very little time, ranking it up a bit more because of it. In the end, it's up to the individual to decide what they value, and when everyone does this, the result is arguably about as fair as can be.

Yes?

ghandpivot

Yes. Vote for the games you enjoy and appreciate the most. Games are entertainment.
Worth pointing out, if not obvious, is that games can be entertaining in other ways than just stimulating our primal search for constant rewards. A deeper meaning and story can be satisfying to unravel too, if you present it in a way that's attractive to the players. So don't think it's only about making the game explosive, fast and "fun".

F

FunkyB

K-bitCrush: "The result is arguably about as fair as can be."

Well said. The best way to vote is the way we currently are. Simply play the game and then rate it. End of story. To a add variable that gives more points to someone who put in less time would make things pointlessly complex. I wouldn't like that at all.

Micah_DS

It appears that the next one would start April 28th, next month. Unless I'm wrong about the jams always being on the last weekend of the quarterly month.

sylvain_l

It appears that the next one would start April 28th, next month. Unless I'm wrong about the jams always being on the last weekend of the quarterly month.
is this comfirmed ( @Alice ) ?

just to be sure, because of the suggestion of changing the dates and having only 3 gmc jam/year to avoid collide with LD (next annouced to be 21-24 april) and GGJ.

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
Actually, @sylvain_l is correct in that the next Jam date is yet to be decided.

I setup a poll in the suggestion topic where people can choose how often they want the Jam to happen. Feel free to vote/discuss Jam frequency there.

Micah_DS

Oh wow, I guess I've had a hard time keeping up on everything here and totally missed that topic. Good to know.

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
I remade the poll, because one of options was significantly behind the others. Aside from that, now the poll specifically lists the months the Jams would happen.

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
I remade the poll, because one of options was significantly behind the others. Aside from that, now the poll specifically lists the months the Jams would happen.
Other than ^this^ post, how will previous voters know to vote again? Viewing the topic list, that topic looks the same as when they voted the first time. I'm a little worried previous voters might miss this fact.

Maybe you could change the title to indicate it's a replacement poll. Maybe add the words [REPLACEMENT POLL]... or something to catch members' attention, so they know to vote again.

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
After voting in the suggestions topic, people decided on 4 Jams a year. Thus, the next GMC Jam will be carried out between May 26th, 12:00 UTC and May 29th, 12:00 UTC. Write it down in your calendars, people~!

R

rui.rosario

Could we get a GMC Jam calender for the year then? Possibly sticked in ALL CAPS to the top of this GMC Jam forum?
Wold help people be more aware of when they were coming up and possibly plan for time off etc further in advance.
I approve of this idea (I can also use this to set up my vacations from work! If it is done sometime during tomorrow)

dadio

Potato Overlord
GMC Elder
Kinda think da hype train should be kicked off now for da next Jam... CHOO CHOO! HYPE! HYPE! HYYYYYYPE!

I don't know if I'll be busy that weekend or not, but if I'm free, I'll be jamming once again. I really hope I can do it, the last one (which was my first jam) was totally awesome. Also, if I can make it fit with the theme I'll probably be making a rouge-like game, cause it's one of my favorite genres for short games and I haven't ever made one.

Status
Not open for further replies.