GMC Jam Discussion The Experimental GMC Jam #3 Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Wraithious

how much longer do we have? it's 8am here, I thought it ended at 12 noon?

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
The Games topic has been locked now. If you need to finish up your entry, do it now and send me your game (through conversation) as soon as possible. Once I assemble the ZIP, it's definitely over, and it's any minute now...

HayManMarc

Lol!! I just played through Time Tank. The first level is great, but it's all downhill from there. lmao!! Oh well, it was a good effort.

M

Misu

Im just waitingnfor the vote topic to go up. I plan to make this voting phase special this time. ;)

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
@NAL @Deanaro @Darzoz @Shawn Basnett @Truelywise @MaikForte @Coolbot4k @Pandavim @Brodie Swift @Dark @Misty
You seem to have started something, but I see no download links.
If you plan on finishing the Jam entry, send me message as soon as possible (even if you don't have download link yet, but will have one in ~30 minutes or so), because I'm about to wrap things up.

(really, though, people, if you drop out, please at least mention it in your devlog, so that I can process missing entries more easily...)

M

Misty

EDIT: Here is the version with sounds. http://host-a.net/u/Misty1/TheGame2sounds-Default-1.0.0.1.exe

Alice, can you put both files in the folder if possible, didnt playtest the sounds that much, the original soundless should be in the folder as backup if the sounds are glitchy. But I'd prefer players to hear the sounds (but if the sounds happen to cause a game breaing glitch, they can use the soundless version in the folder.)

old:
O here is the file. Dont have time to add sounds. Mcdonalds had a demolition team come in and shutdown the store so i had to use burger kings craptastic internet. Had problems uploading. Here is the file http://host-a.net/u/Misty1/TheGame2-Default-1.0.0.0.zip

Last edited:

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
Alright, only Misty's entry has been added, and now the Jam ZIP is up for everyone to download! Don't forget to vote in this topic.

(needless to say, the time to do last minute entries uploads is over now)

Nallebeorn

Wait, there were only 37 entries this year? That's rather few... :(
But then at least I shouldn't have any problem playing them all.

M

Misty

Don't know what life would be without game jams.

37 is good news and bad news. Sometimes I get fatigued from playing too much games, and this way I can reduce the fatigue.

Gizmo199

I am actually excited the total is 39. I might actually try and review! Not to overwhelming. I look forward to everybodys games!

HayManMarc

Quick question - where should we put full-on reviews?
In your single, editable post on the voting topic thread, or some people write them in a doc, upload the doc to dropbox (or where-ever) then leave a link in the voting thread to the long review doc. If you look back at previous jam voting threads, you'll get some ideas.

edit: if the game you're reviewing has made a WIP topic in the forums, that's also a good place to put a long review. Then just link to it from the voting thread, so the rest of us know it's there and can read them too. :)

S

Sinaz20

Just occurred to me. In general, anyone can vote on the jam? Or just participants? Just curious.

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
Anyone can vote, as long as they have valid GMC account (or they are voting together with a GMC member; this happened with @11clock and friend at some point).

M

Misty

Can someone upload a Let's Play of End of Infinity by The M? Gives me a shader error and I can't run it. It is the last game left in the lineup.

The M

Can someone upload a Let's Play of End of Infinity by The M? Gives me a shader error and I can't run it. It is the last game left in the lineup.
Have you tried to disable the shader? I don't know if it works but I tried to make it so that you can toggle them by pressing B. Otherwise I'll upload a version without them.

M

Misty

Have you tried to disable the shader? I don't know if it works but I tried to make it so that you can toggle them by pressing B. Otherwise I'll upload a version without them.
Ok. Dunno how to disable it, it just instantly crashes before I can get to the menu.

M

Miner7365

... Sheesh alot of people dropped out right at the end...

and to think this is the first jam I actually finished early on...

T

TheMatrixHasMe

Downloaded both these games and started them up. Didn't play more than 10 secs as just testing - will review later :)

12:01 game - I got an error:
Code:
ERROR in
action number 1
of Other Event: Game End
for object obj_controller:

Data structure with index does not exist.
at gml_Object_obj_controller_Other_3
Okay, I was so worried about this being a game breaking bug I mean feature, but it turns out it only happens on first closing of the program, I believe. Hopefully I'm right, still scared its going to cause a problem. It just happens when you don't have any save data. Once you close it the first time it has save data.

I have played almost all of them. The following three games did not work correctly and thus do not have feedback. If the creators of these games can tell me how to fix it in the next few hours, I'll be able to rate them:

Father Time, by @Arsam and Paphi: Didn't scale correctly. I only see the top left third or so. Not sure how that's possible but...
Space S, by @Wraithious : Crashed a few seconds after startup. Sometimes threw memory errors.
SpaceTime Havoc, by @rui.rosario : Crashed upon death. If I didn't die so much, it wouldn't be as big of an issue. Showed Stack overflow for a script that removed maps.

R

rui.rosario

I have played almost all of them. The following three games did not work correctly and thus do not have feedback. If the creators of these games can tell me how to fix it in the next few hours, I'll be able to rate them:

Father Time, by @Arsam and Paphi: Didn't scale correctly. I only see the top left third or so. Not sure how that's possible but...
Space S, by @Wraithious : Crashed a few seconds after startup. Sometimes threw memory errors.
SpaceTime Havoc, by @rui.rosario : Crashed upon death. If I didn't die so much, it wouldn't be as big of an issue. Showed Stack overflow for a script that removed maps.
Weird, that never happened to me when I play tested. Also, stack overflow? The script doesn't call any other script, only gml functions. I'll try to upload a new version and send the link only to you so you can review it properly, but not count towards the Jam entry. Although it is the second report of this, so I might ask @Alice if it is ok to replace it, after you validate it doesn't happen. WIll get back to you in a few minutes @Cloaked Games.

W

Wraithious

Hi sorry, there was an object in my game that i missed that had undeclaired variables in it, unfortunatly theres no workaround. i have no idea where a memory leak would be tho i didnt catch that, i didnt use buffers shaders ds maps or import sprites, just used some audio files thats weird

S

Sinaz20

So, I wish I had known about the GMC Jam App, and the whole Readme thing.

For those of you who who may have felt lost in Dr. Benjamin R Bonheur, the trick is to walk into the time machine after defeating everyone :p

Realized a little tutorial text for that would have made a world of difference.

Gizmo199

Dang it! I knew i would get ragged on the lack of tutorial info and story! Thats okay though, I knew those would be huge downsides. As far as spawning was concerned i wanted to add a ring around the player or make everything else monochrome but ran out of time. :( Unfortunately i had to work all day friday. I am just happy it got completed! Loving some of these games! Great job guys!

If anyone cares, all the art in my game is drawn shapes and primitives, I didn't use any sprites. I don't know why I decided to do this, an extra challenge I suppose. I ended up spending most of my time during the jam trying to get them to co-operate, but by the time I realised how time consuming it was, it was already too late to go back and try something else.

T

TheMatrixHasMe

If anyone cares, all the art in my game is drawn shapes and primitives, I didn't use any sprites. I don't know why I decided to do this, an extra challenge I suppose. I ended up spending most of my time during the jam trying to get them to co-operate, but by the time I realised how time consuming it was, it was already too late to go back and try something else.
That's good practice. Better at using those functions now!

D

Diptoman

Your game looks beautiful.
Thank you! (All credits to @nitrox )

I wonder if they used a shader or how they implemented that effect.
Unfortunately, I suck at writing shaders (some day ._.). It's much simpler. I'm creating an object every few frames with the same subimage as the player's, and gradually fading it out. Since everything's moving around the cilock, I'm also moving those objects with that speed (and time scale).

T

TheMatrixHasMe

Thank you! (All credits to @nitrox )

Unfortunately, I suck at writing shaders (some day ._.). It's much simpler. I'm creating an object every few frames with the same subimage as the player's, and gradually fading it out. Since everything's moving around the cilock, I'm also moving those objects with that speed (and time scale).
Ah my next guess was an array of sprite frames and locations. Or you could use a queue. There's a lot of ways it could be done I suppose. But it looks nice and you implement it very well, how long did you work on it to get it just right?

R

rui.rosario

I don't know what it had to do with Time Loop, but you know, I recognize that jams are an enourmous creative pressure and not easily executable.
@Sinaz20: If you press Enter you activate the Time Loop mechanic in which your spaceship can go back in time up to a whole second (instructions in the readme :p)

ghandpivot

A short note for everyone playing Wingman Paradox:
1. The game saves your progress and you can always launch it just where you left off.
2. There's a progress counter in the top right that will give you a general idea of how far you've come. It's a new method I'm trying out that doesn't quite give you all information there is, which I thought was an interesting take on the whole idea.
3. There's more story than just the intro, which you miss if you dont finish it. That being said, I totally understand if it's not your cup of tea, it's a weird game :)

ghandpivot

@ghandpivot I couldn't actually beat your game, got stuck on the stage where I had to jump up high using the bridge.
Check my video for how I do it, it's a bit tricky to learn as you have to jump way later than you think to retain your speed, and dash downwards to push the bridge down. That level is the only one that features that trick (there's one more but it's way easier) so it's a shame if it locks you down since you miss out on soo much content and mechanics.
It's at 3:10

Alternatively you can go in to the .ini file and bump both of the two variables up by one :)
(folder should be in your appdata, probably called gmc jam 3)

L

Lemth

Check my video for how I do it, it's a bit tricky to learn as you have to jump way later than you think to retain your speed, and dash downwards to push the bridge down. That level is the only one that features that trick (there's one more but it's way easier) so it's a shame if it locks you down since you miss out on soo much content and mechanics.
It's at 3:10

Alternatively you can go in to the .ini file and bump both of the two variables up by one :)
(folder should be in your appdata, probably called gmc jam 3)
Alternatively you can force yourself against a wall and dash+jump upwards and keep spamming those buttons and generate extra momentum before moving straight up. In the jump level I used the mother for that and in on of the other levels I just used the left wall.

Was a very fun game; I knew right away this was the same guy as the Bungee Man! Love these sort of puzzles; you can check out my review in the other topic.

ghandpivot

Alternatively you can force yourself against a wall and dash+jump upwards and keep spamming those buttons and generate extra momentum before moving straight up. In the jump level I used the mother for that and in on of the other levels I just used the left wall.
Was a very fun game; I knew right away this was the same guy as the Bungee Man! Love these sort of puzzles; you can check out my review in the other topic.
Thanks a lot! I think I have developed a style in graphics, level design and storytelling that kinda goes through all my latest games and it's always nice if someone else feels that way too :)
As for the wall boost: Yes, you can do that. It was waaay worse 2 hours before I submitted the game when I started fixing that bug, limiting it so that it's only possible when you're really close to the ground so that it can't be done on any wall at any height. You can basically jump the entire room height from a standing position, but since the game really isn't about precision but rather planned chaos I thought it could stay :p

F

FunkyB

Your game is hilarious!!! Good job : ) Btw: I spent extra time brushing my teeth.

Yes. Link's in the voting topic, but for your convenience: Download
Thanks

-----

Has anyone played my game yet : ( lol. Btw, I am having a great time playing everyone's games.

-----

Well, I just played "Caught in the Loop". Wow, did I get caught in the loop. How do you get past the potatoe lol? I tried each of the three options.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nallebeorn

Sooo.... te player application crashed after I'd written a rather lengthy comment (seemed to crash when dragging a game to the ranking list... Might want to take a look at that, @Alice ;)). And apparently I hadn't saved anything. Bummer.

EDIT: Hold on, there's an autosave setting. Well... that's useful. But—you also can't save with Ctrl-S?

Last edited:
R

rui.rosario

I played yours, and everyone else's game. My reviews are here:
https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.p...tal-gmc-jam-3-voting-topic.18430/#post-117716

Even though some of my commentary might sound harsh, I overal had a lot of fun playing all the games and want to thank everyone for competing and making their own game for this jam!
@Lemth I have a patched version of my Jam entry if you want the version of the game without the Stack Overflow errors. I PM'ed @Alice to see if it can get replaced but I can PM it to you if you want.

D

Diptoman

Ah my next guess was an array of sprite frames and locations. Or you could use a queue. There's a lot of ways it could be done I suppose. But it looks nice and you implement it very well, how long did you work on it to get it just right?
Maybe 10 minutes. :p It's like 10 lines of code. It's a very easy way to implement a trail when the character isn't actually "moving".

Status
Not open for further replies.