GMC Jam Discussion The Experimental GMC Jam #3 Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

sylvain_l

* note for myself: for next gamejam, do like misu, oversleep day before to have some reserve of sleep for the short/white night during gamejam *

I have a birthday this weekend; so it's going to be a big challenge to beat my previous ranking ( 47th of 48 participants )

@Alice are we allowed to use your time loop logo ? it's perfect for the theme !

Nallebeorn

On my way back from school now! Time loop is what I ended on voting for, so that's nice :) I have a rather vague idea of what will do, but I'll have to sit down with a notepad and think through the design it a bit to figure out whether it's actually any good. :p

Nallebeorn

I have a set of scripts that I import into (and extend in) almost all my projects. It's all pretty basic helper functions (show_debug_message() wrapper, string formatting, etc. etc.) that I'm sure most of you could do perfectly well yourself, but I thought I'd share it anyway. That way, at least you'll know exactly what I had when I started and everything is fair and square :)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wew3khkmmgu9l8m/GenericUtilities.gmez?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wew3khkmmgu9l8m/GenericUtilities.gmez?dl=0

(I think there might be some script(s) in there taken from gmlscripts.com, if so credit & license is in that/those script(s). Otherwise, it's all written by me and should be considered CC-0 licensed)

O

OBV10U3_NINJA

THE THEME IS TIME LOOP!?

My friend and I were theorizing concepts before the theme was announced, and the decided concept JUST HAPPENS TO FIT DEAD ON WITH THE THEME

The M

Finally! I'm ready to begin. Let's go!

Sorry guys, I got stuck in a time loop... ;)

Nallebeorn

I've done some groundwork, and now have working collision and a time-looping mechanism.

There's no real visual feedback yet though, so this gif doesn't showcase it all that well. But you can basically record an object's state during a time period, and then create a time loop out of that (which can then be closed, letting the object escape the loop and go back to normal).

I sincerely hope the art is merely placeholders, by the way :p

JacobV

I got a bunch of my tiles done, along with basic movement imported!

show1.png

Actually making better time than expected; I just hope I haven't spent too much time on art...

TehPilot

The theme's great. It's just unfortunate that it happened now and not roughly a year ago. Some time ago, for another game jam, I made a puzzler that relied on time loops and a limited execution period to solve puzzles. It's one of my proudest accomplishments in a week-long timeframe.

Obviously I'll come up with something else for this jam. Just a shame what I have in mind is closer to TIME AND SPACE rather than TIME LOOP, hmmm.

C

CoderJoe

Time loop here we come! Time loop here we come! Time loop here we come! Help I'm trapped in a time loop! Time loop here we come! Time loop here we come!

M

Misty

Ok, thing is, I don't have Internet, only lounge and library net, so I won't have internet on Sunday. What do I do?

Because I just realized, it was UTC time and thus the library wont open in time.

C

CoderJoe

Ok, thing is, I don't have Internet, only lounge and library net, so I won't have internet on Sunday. What do I do?

Because I just realized, it was UTC time and thus the library wont open in time.
Pull up to the library and use their internet from the outside while trying not to look suspicious. Or visit your local coffee shop :)

M

Misty

Pull up to the library and use their internet from the outside while trying not to look suspicious. Or visit your local coffee shop :)
No wifi at the library, and all stores are closed. Noon UTC is 9 am I think. Don't know any coffee shops that open before 9, I would have to get there early to make sure I don't run into problems and upload the file in time.

The M

I seem to have encountered a bug where the forum refuses to remove a spoiler tag which it adds back whenever I try to remove it... Otherwise I'm slooowly making progress.

R

Ruhar

If you code some internet into your game, you won't need it in real life.

On a serious note, I was browsing through old jams a few days ago and people were told they could submit their games a bit late if they didn't work on them after the cutoff. You could also try to finish and submit early or go to a 24/7 McDonalds with Wi-Fi or something if you're going to be up anyway.

Micah_DS

Woohoo! I'm actually really excited! I figured out my game idea and I'm very pleased with it. But gotta go to work now, so I can't start on it until later.

C

CoderJoe

Woohoo! I'm actually really excited! I figured out my game idea and I'm very pleased with it. But gotta go to work now, so I can't start on it until later.
Same. Stupid homework. And... I gotta go to a study session tomorrow! What kind of world do we live in where school takes over weekends?!

C

Coolbot4k

I feel like I'm falling into that trap of making something similar to all of my past jam games. I'd like to switch things up this jam, but it's terribly difficult to go against my usual design techniques.

M

Misu

I am mad. I got abducted twice today and now they are making go to work at the workshop tomorrow. Why does this happen to me in all jams. Cant there be one day where i only stay at home without any interruption?

The M

That's it for today. Made some progress but got a long way to go. It's fun to play with the paths though. ^^

R

Ruhar

I had a busy day today with classes but I have the most basic basics down. Essentially, the world resets every 5 seconds regardless of what happened. The only things that don't reset are the player and the player's health.

R

Ruhar

Also, when I say "busy," I mean I was on campus for 3 hours. That's not nearly as busy as some of you are.

Lukan

Gay Wizard Freak
As I'm sure many of you have been waiting for for years now, I am proud to present...
PaintB***h 2.0!

Still early on in dev, but I have hopes of it actually being usable, unlike the previous incarnation.

JacobV

@JacobV dude. you make all of us look bad :p
It's really not that impressive once you realize I took the movement code from the action platformer engine I made a while ago, the text is based off a tutorial, and I have yet to code my own lighting engine. Plus the whole time loop thing is practically in the backdrop, since I really didn't plan it well.

S

Sinaz20

Behold! The game @FredFredrickson and I may not have time to finish! XD

Update_Previs.png

The story of an eccentric French-English inventor who has no choice but to stop himself from using his time machine... of course, honoring the Marquess of Queensberry rules. Put up your Duke of Yorks, earlier-me!

Image here is just a pre-vis. Stamping in some early character sprites onto the developing level art.

C

CoderJoe

Well I got some solid work done on my animations as well as planning the game out. I'm trying to keep it from being too ambitious like my other jam games. The hardest part will be player movement and animation. I'll post some pictures tomorrow. Good luck to everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.