matharoo

manualman
GameMaker Dev.
- - - - - - - T H - - - - - E - - - - - - -
  • ?????? Throne Emperors
- - - R - - - - M - - -
  • Overwhelming
  • Heartwarming
  • Retro Gaming (already suggested though)
T - - - - - O - -
  • Tag Along
  • Territory
  • Think out

M

McWolke

i think i'm having more fun guessing the theme than i will have making the game :D

Code:
D E V I L S _ T H I R D _ H E L L _ G A T E

- - - R - - - - M - - -
M I R R O R _ I M A G E
M I R R O R _ E M P T Y (Vampire Stuff?)
I M P R I S O N M E N T

T - - - - - O - -
T E R R I T O R Y (still fits)
T E S T _ R O O M
T R A N S P O R T

Bingdom

Googledom
Code:
N U M B E R _ T H E _ P I _ E X P L O R E R

- - - R - - - - M - - -
R E T R Y _ M O M E N T
R E T R O _ G A M I N G ~ Sounds correct to me (already mentioned)

T - - - - - O - -
T R A N S P O S E

M

Misu

- - - R - - - - M - - -
T - - - - - O - -

:squirrel:
Guys... believe me... I might have guessed the last two already... Seems possible to be Retro Gaming and Transform... However... Im gonna have to guess more for the first one...

sylvain_l

Code:
L I E _ T O _ T H E M _ E V E R Y T I M E !
W H O _ I S _ T H E _ I N C E L E B R I T Y
W H A T ' S _ T H A T _ P R E S B Y T I S M

- - - R - - - - M - - -
B E E R _ F A R M I N G
Y O U R _ M U M M I E S
H E I R _ O F _ M I N D

T - - - - - O - -
T H E _ D R O P S
T A B L E F O R K
T A K E _ D O W N
T H U M P _ O U T
T O R N A D O E S
T R U M P _ O U T

NAL

ʕ ᓀ ᴥ ᓂ ʔ
GMC Elder
Would like to offer Steam codes for NAL Is Alive to the top 20 placing entries.

It's a pack that contains all of my previous free games in upgraded forms. So that includes every GMC Jam entry I've made to date (and will include my entry into this one as well) - Hallucinogun, Aardvark Cwm, Dynapogo, Lyssandra and the Amplegores, Hi Me Ro Me, Prisnhax, Lab Wagon, Well Cut Lass, Frankenfirearm, Titan Tighten, Bullet Hills, InkCipher, Four Versus The World and Soundproof Cell - along with over 100 other games :)

Also, "Terraforming" fits the second one. I would be pleased with that as a theme!

Last edited:
If it is retro gaming and transform, I came up with a fantastic idea, but I don't think I have the skills to do it. I've never programmed a plat-former. (Or at least, one that worked).

M

Misu

If it is retro gaming and transform, I came up with a fantastic idea, but I don't think I have the skills to do it. I've never programmed a plat-former. (Or at least, one that worked).
Shaun is a life saver for almost everything! Check this tutorial out. It helped me and so can you! :)

D

Dark

Trying so hard to avoid working on any new ideas at all in case one ends up being perfect for whatever the theme will be... This is like torture!

matharoo

manualman
GameMaker Dev.
Trying so hard to avoid working on any new ideas at all in case one ends up being perfect for whatever the theme will be... This is like torture!
Exactly! I just got this new idea of a game and I so want to try it out, but I'm holding it for the jam.

M

Misu

WHERE IS YOUR HYPE, EVERYONE!?!

M

Misu

I got a teammate to help me with music and audio this time! This is going to be great! No more stress on finding audio for my entry! :D

R

Ruhar

Having some formal education in C++, I decided to mess around with making games. I've been absorbing GML tutorials for 6+ hours a day and putting the knowledge to use in practice games for a week and a half. I feel comfortable at this point making a game and I want to participate but I'm incredibly new to the forum (reading for a day and making an account and contributing for the first time right now), so I'm a little unsure of whether or not I completely understand the rules.

Do I have to do a vlog while I make the game or can I skip that bit? I have practically no vlogging personality and vlogging would distract me from programming. Also, am I even eligible? If so, do I just follow the thread and wait for the details of the competition to be released? Is there anything I'm likely missing as someone not familiar with the forum?

Thanks in advance.

JacobV

I'm pretty sure no vlog is necessary, you just need to get the game in before the time limit ends. And you should be perfectly eligible!

...then again I'm completely new to this too so who knows

I do have a question. How much of the code needs to be done during the time of the jam? I know obviously that the bulk of it should be done during the jam, otherwise it would be very unfair, but what if I have a player movement script or a screen scaling script? Can I use that? More in depth: can I copy it with copy paste, copy it by looking and rewriting, or rewrite it from memory? Obviously you can't prevent someone from coding it from memory, because otherwise you can't code anything at all.

Basically, what parts of the project have to be from during the jam?

The M

Do I have to do a vlog while I make the game or can I skip that bit? I have practically no vlogging personality and vlogging would distract me from programming. Also, am I even eligible? If so, do I just follow the thread and wait for the details of the competition to be released? Is there anything I'm likely missing as someone not familiar with the forum?

Thanks in advance.
Welcome! If you're a forum member, you can join, simple as that. Once the jam starts there'll be a games topic where make a post, that'll be your entry.

There's no need for a vlog or anything. You can record or write down your progress (most people do some kind of dev diary) if you want to but it's entirely optional. You can check the old games topic to see what people have done before.

As long as you mention what was made beforehand it's pretty much up to you and what you think is fair. Like you said, the more you make during the jam the better but if you've got a few code snippets that you don't want to rewrite all over again then I don't think anyone minds. At least I wouldn't. :)

Also, theme guesses:
Code:
WE ARE THE FRIENDLIEST
FEAR THE SUN
HERE SOON

Last edited:

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
I do have a question. How much of the code needs to be done during the time of the jam? I know obviously that the bulk of it should be done during the jam, otherwise it would be very unfair, but what if I have a player movement script or a screen scaling script? Can I use that? More in depth: can I copy it with copy paste, copy it by looking and rewriting, or rewrite it from memory? Obviously you can't prevent someone from coding it from memory, because otherwise you can't code anything at all.

Technically speaking, you can have any part of the project done before the Jam, but you must tell which parts were made before and include proper credits (as well as make sure you have rights to use the assets), so that people are able to rate it fairly. It applies to code as much as to sprites or sounds or music or whatever.

At the same time, I would generally recommend that the premade code is publically available for everyone else, so that everyone else has chance to use it as well. In that regard, using free Marketplace assets seems like the most "fair" use of premade code, in that anyone else can also grab it and use for their own project.

RekNepZ

GMC Historian
Let's see if being active in this topic will make me more motivated. I had no hype and very little motivation last time around, and it really sucked!

R

Ruhar

Can we ask code-related questions in the programming section of the forum during the jam?

T

theonewhoisodd

Can we ask code-related questions in the programming section of the forum during the jam?
Yes however I wouldn't rely on it too heavily if I were you. It could be a while before somebody gets back to you and that could really kill your flow during one of these jams.

D

dj_midknight

I am planning to spend the next 4 days cramming stuff I dont know about GMS/GML and try to pull it all together at the last second. Been brainstorming potential themes, and how I might use them. Mostly just going into this with a good spirit and whatever I have managed to learn in the last 1.5 months, and we will see how it turns out.

Perseus

Not Medusa
Forum Staff
is the use of paid marketplace asset allowed ?
Unless you share the source code, nothing should stop you from using paid Marketplace assets in your Jam game. But it would be a less fair use of premade code, for it might not be available for use by everybody else.

Yes, you can. But a response might take some time, ranging from a few minutes to hours, depending on the complexity of the question and user activity in the forum. So it might be a better idea to try simpler things (or try to do complex things in a simpler way, for that matter) instead of relying on the forum for your programming needs. Of course, if you get stuck, then you can post a topic and look into doing other things until you get a response.

R

rui.rosario

Also, remember that during the Jam there is a higher probability of users being busy focusing on the Jam itself, so less questions are probably going to get answered, thus heightening the probability of your question going unanswered in an usable timeframe.

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
The last letter reveal before the theme voting.

- - A - - - - T H - - - - - E - - - - C - -
M - - R - - - - M - - -
T - - - - - O O -

:bunny:

M

McWolke

some of my guesses still fit:
Code:
M - - R - - - - M - - -
M I R R O R _ I M A G E
M I R R O R _ E M P T Y

T - - - - - O O -
T E S T _ R O O M
and a new guess:
Code:
T - - - - - O O -
T R A P _ D O O R

NAL

ʕ ᓀ ᴥ ᓂ ʔ
GMC Elder
"Microclimate" or "Mirror Image" are about the only ones for the second theme I can think of that make some level of sense as a jam theme.

First one's still way too open. "Change the experiences"?

sylvain_l

Code:
W H A T ' S _ T H A T _ G R E A S E _ C U P

M - - R - - - - M - - -
M Y _ R E A L _ M E A N

T - - - - - O O -
T H E _ F L O O D

M

McWolke

Did someone already guessed any of the themes?! can't wait anymore, need more hints, need more letters!

M

Misu

There wont be anymore hints. She clearly said until full theme reveal day before Jam. We have to guess with what we have.

Here are my guesses:

Code:
C H A N G E _ T H E _ G A M E _ T R A C K S

M - - R - - - - M - - -
M E T R O I D _ M E M E
M I C R O _ S A M P L E

T - - - - - O O -
T I N Y _ T O O N
T I M E _ T O O L
Most of these guesses are not serious (obviously not a theme probability)

D

Dark

Code:
T - - - - - O O -
Clearly THE ROOOM

You're tearing me apart, lisa!

Reactions: NAL
D

dj_midknight

time_door
time_tool
time_room
time_zoom
the_crook
the_brook
tiny_room
tiny_tool
tiny_door

I really feel like the middle one is going to end up mirror image

No clue about the top one.

NAL

ʕ ᓀ ᴥ ᓂ ʔ
GMC Elder
What about "DEAL WITH CONSEQUENCES" or "PLAY WITH CONSEQUENCES" for the first one?

Micah_DS

This time around, I'm really not getting any good guesses coming to me, so I'll just agree with these:
Code:
D E A L _ W I T H _ C O N S E Q U E N C E S

M - - R - - - - M - - -
M I R R O R _ I M A G E

T - - - - - O O -
T I N Y _ R O O M
The last letter reveal before the theme voting.
So, no more letter reveals, but what about revealing spaces? :p Or maybe just telling how many words all three themes together contain, like last jam?

hippyman

According to this website

these are my guesses for the first theme

Any combination of these words
|---headhunt------hirable-----------hijacks--------|
|---phaseout------hoblike----------jounced-------|
|---slackest--------hoglike----------quaichs-------|
|---bracelet--------hotcake---------quinces-------|
==================================

the only one-word possibilities for the second theme are microelement, microclimate, microfilming

the only one-word possibility is "tulipwood" for the third theme

Last edited:
R

rui.rosario

Is it my impression or is this one of the Jam's with the least number of community prizes?

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
It's true there aren't many community prizes as of now, but you people still have time to fix it, I guess?

R

rui.rosario

It's true there aren't many community prizes as of now, but you people still have time to fix it, I guess?
I'm working on a Java-based offline asset library organizer for GM:S (1.4, 2 will come in the future, when I get it). I guess I can offer that to the top 10 entries ([if and] when it is finished).

Status
Not open for further replies.