GMC Jam Discussion The Experimental GMC Jam #3 Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micah_DS

On the topic of prizes, does anyone have any suggestions for a game developed in GameMaker which has been released on Steam that you'd like to see me offer as a prize?

Last time I gave out 'Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight', which is a game developed in GameMaker. I've decided that, every quarterly GMC jam from now on, I'd like to give out a game that was developed in GameMaker.

I was hoping to give out The Dark Within this time around, but I'm not sure @aamatniekss will be able to have that up to buy before the jam ends? In any case, I'd like to hear what game you guys would like to see as a prize, so let me know!

I will put in place the following rules, since this will be a recurring prize from me:
  • I will always give 'whatever game it is' to 1st place (as long as they are eligible - see info below).
  • There will only be one copy of a game given each jam, so if a team wins the prize, they will have to choose which team member receives the game.
  • If the winner(s) has/have already won a game from me in a past jam, they won't be eligible and the game will go to the next ranking eligible participant.
  • In the case of the winning game being made by a team, promptly after the ranking is revealed, I will start a conversation between myself and any eligible winning team members of the game with the purpose of working out who receives the game and to ensure all are properly agreed. Once agreed, I will message the winner in a new private message with the purpose of getting the game to them.
    In the case that one or more of the team members aren't registered on the GMC forums, I'll just have to message those who are I guess and I'll expect you guys to be fair and honest in how you decide.
  • There are two ways to get the game to you:
    1) Add me as a friend on Steam (if we're not friends on there already) and I can give it to you directly through Steam, or
    2) Give me an email address that I can tell Steam to send the gift activation/ID/whatever to.
Also @Alice
Want to add your community prize? Send a message to the Jam host (with) the details!
Just saying I didn't forget that we should do this. I'll send a message once the game to give is decided.
On a different note, I added "with" in the quote to fix the sentence. :p

Last edited:
L

Lemth

Looking forward to this one; already put this in every agenda! :)

GMC Jam is a quarterly community event held ... and now it's a 2nd edition
(it's the 3rd edition) :oops:

I'll think about adding something to the prize pool as well...​

aamatniekss

On the topic of prizes, does anyone have any suggestions for a game developed in GameMaker which has been released on Steam that you'd like to see me offer as a prize?

Last time I gave out 'Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight', which is a game developed in GameMaker. I've decided that, every quarterly GMC jam from now on, I'd like to give out a game that was developed in GameMaker.

I was hoping to give out The Dark Within this time around, but I'm not sure @aamatniekss will be able to have that up to buy before the jam ends? In any case, I'd like to hear what game you guys would like to see as a prize, so let me know!

It might be out before that, but maybe not, I don't know myself yet, heh.

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
You could always keep giving out RUtM, it's a pretty good game :p

Some other suggestions:
  • Hyper Light Drifter
  • Axiom Verge
  • Miami Hotline

Prize-wise, I'd like to offer tilesets again, but even that one time I PM'd a lot of people I didn't really get a lot of replies about it. Not sure if I should make the offer again to look benevolent & boost my ego or if it's not worth the effort... hmm...

M

MaikForte

For the record, this will be the very first Game Jam that I will be joining.
- How do you know that you are one of the participants?
- Do participants require to stream throughout the duration of the Game Jam?

M

Misu

For the record, this will be the very first Game Jam that I will be joining.
1. There will be a Games Thread created when the jam begins. You post in there a reserved spot for your entry. Thats where all the participants are taken in count.

2. Thats optional. You can stream if you want to get followers see you progress in your entry. Its not necesary though. I consider this a method for motivation build up.

Perseus

Not Medusa
Forum Staff
If you have a valid entry post in the Games topic with a download link at the end of the Jam, you would be accepted as a participant, as long as you are not breaking any rules. (There have been some delayed entries as well in the past I believe.)

Not necessarily. Generally, you'd share information and development logs to build hype and generate some public interest for your game. Some people play and vote for games that they find interesting, so sharing your progress periodically might prove to be helpful in those cases. But that's not mandatory. As long as you have a valid download link at the end of the Jam, you would count as a valid participant.

matharoo

manualman
GameMaker Dev.
the creators of the entry must have rights to all of the assets; unlicensed use of resources is not allowed
What about using others' IP's names/logos in your game? For example - What if I decide to make a game on, say, GameMaker, where GameMaker, YoyoGames, and all related stuff will be mentioned. The GameMaker logo will be used for... say, coins. That is not something good for a commercial game, but what about this jam?

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
What about using others' IP's names/logos in your game? For example - What if I decide to make a game on, say, GameMaker, where GameMaker, YoyoGames, and all related stuff will be mentioned. The GameMaker logo will be used for... say, coins. That is not something good for a commercial game, but what about this jam?
The line you quoted answers your question. You need the "right" to use other people's property. So if you want to use a member's avatar, just ask them for permission. Most likely they'll grant it (for the Jam, not in general). I once made a Jam game that used member avatars. Every member I asked gave me permission.

For YYG stuff, you should check their brand page. You can only use their logos for promotion. You can't animate them, so they're probably off limits as game elements. But you can always ask. You may get an answer by time the Jam ends. ;) (Seriously, I'd just avoid using commercial logos at all.)

F

FunkyB

Theme: MEMORY

Oh please do this theme lol.

Wait, what did I suggest for my theme? Horrible joke, sorry, had to do it.

Last edited by a moderator:
R

rui.rosario

"Experiment Gone Wrong" would really make a great theme.
You could basically experiment with anything you wanted and at the time to submit just state "Hey, this is my Experiment Gone Wrong, hope you like it!"

Zodaris

We'll see if I have time again. Although, I placed pretty well last time.... Maybe this one will finish the hat trick and put me in the top 3-5? *shrug* (Jumped from 47th to 12th last jam.)

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
Took you long enough to ask~!

- - - - - - - - H - - - - - E - - - - - - -
- - - R - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - O - -

M

McWolke

- - - R - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - O - -
Haha, H...E...R..O, you're trollin' right?

Code:
- - - R - - - - - - - -
A N G R A _ M A I N Y U (This would be totaly cool)
A D O R A B L E N E S S
H E A R T _ A T T A C K (Jump Scares incoming)

- - - - - - O - -
C A K E _ T O W N
T E R R I T O R Y

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
Not really, it wasn't my intent to spell out HERO, but it kinda happened and I liked it.

Also, please keep in mind that if there's a space in the theme, it's represented as a blank. So, guesses like "P o t a t o e s H a c k T h E S c h o o l s" don't really work given the blank we have (CAKE TOWN, on the other hand, is a perfectly fine guess).

M

Misty

This is how people get on game jam's sometimes.

First it starts like this, then it gets like this.

M

Misu

More guesses! More guesses! Yay!
Code:
D O _ N O T _ S H O W _ B E E _ M O V I E !

- - - R - - - - - - - -
C H A R A C T E R I Z E
C H O R E O G R A P H Y
B L U R _ E F F E C T S
U N T R A C E A B L E S
R E T R O _ G A M I N G (same as Dark's guess)

- - - - - - O - -

H U G E _ B O M B
T R A N S F O R M (my first guess for this remains the same)

F

FunkyB

First, there was already theme like that (MEMORIES, more specifically).
Second, it matches none of the blank themes.

There was "Science Gone Wrong", so it's actually pretty close call.
Oh I apologize, I did not know about the blank themes. If I understand correctly, the three themes are already made, letters are revealed over time, people guess at the themes for fun, and at the end the three themes are revealed?

M

Misu

Oh I apologize, I did not know about the blank themes. If I understand correctly, the three themes are already made, letters are revealed over time, people guess at the themes for fun, and at the end the three themes are revealed?
Correct! The three themes were already chosen by the previous winning contestants from last Jam. Throughtout the week, letters will be revealed for us to guess, just for fun. The day before the jam start, all three themes are revealed for us to vote which one will be the official theme. Winning choice will be mentioned right when the Jam begins.

F

FunkyB

Correct! The three themes were already chosen by the previous winning contestants from last Jam. Throughtout the week, letters will be revealed for us to guess, just for fun. The day before the jam start, all three themes are revealed for us to vote which one will be the official theme. Winning choice will be mentioned right when the Jam begins.
Well thank you for reply : )

M

Misu

Ok! So I have now 3 solid guesses for the themes:

Code:
G O _ A N D _ C H A N G E _ E V E R Y O N E

- - - R - - - - - - - -
R E T R O _ G A M I N G

- - - - - - O - -
T R A N S F O R M
Although I can be wrong, I just feel like these seem the closest that fits for now. I will continue to watch for when the next letter reveals come in. Perhaps one of these is right or not. Lets find out later on.

Micah_DS

Alright, after some thought, I'll be giving out Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight - Soundtrack Bundle to 1st place again. It really is a great game, and the music is overall very beautiful, with a touch of melancholy.

I was going to go with Axiom Verge or Hyper Light Drifter, but then I thought that perhaps $20 games are a little overkill. My intention for doing this isn't to increase everyone's competitiveness, making it too much about getting something rather than having fun making something, but my doing this is just a way to have some fun and to support various devs who use GameMaker. So I was thinking maybe I should just offer games that are at max about $12.

EDIT: I've also decided to give Downwell to 7th place.
(sent a message to Alice)

Last edited:

TehPilot

Downwell is a fantastic title worthy of any prize place.

And assuming I don't get massacred by work the first week of classes, it's a safe bet I'll join this. I wonder what the themes could be?

T

theonewhoisodd

Alright I'm getting married soon and have another big project I'm working on so won't have much time but I will make a vague attempt to actually make something this time...

Also just a quick question: If I use the script pack that I am developing to make GMS2 functions similar to GMS1 functions do I have to credit that as being made before the Jam since it just makes it easier for me to remember all the little changes?

sylvain_l

Alright I'm getting married soon and have another big project I'm working on so won't have much time but I will make a vague attempt to actually make something this time...

Also just a quick question: If I use the script pack that I am developing to make GMS2 functions similar to GMS1 functions do I have to credit that as being made before the Jam since it just makes it easier for me to remember all the little changes?
  • the entry might use assets (graphics, audio, scripts, extensions, Marketplace resources etc.) created before the Jam, whether by team members or someone else; however, the credits should make clear where the assets come from and which were made before the Jam

Micah_DS

Downwell is a fantastic title worthy of any prize place.
It truly is. I played it for the first time yesterday thinking I'd play for maybe 10 minutes, but I played for just over an hour and I'm looking forward to playing some more soon, but curses! I have to go to work. :(
I bought a few copies, so I'll probably give them out in future jams too.

But anyway, as far as the theme guesses go, I'm totally going along with "retro gaming" and "transform", but I'm not sure what I want to settle on for the first theme just yet.

F

FunkyB

Ok! So I have now 3 solid guesses for the themes:

Code:
G O _ A N D _ C H A N G E _ E V E R Y O N E

- - - R - - - - - - - -
R E T R O _ G A M I N G

- - - - - - O - -
T R A N S F O R M
Although I can be wrong, I just feel like these seem the closest that fits for now. I will continue to watch for when the next letter reveals come in. Perhaps one of these is right or not. Lets find out later on.
Good guesses!

dadio

Potato Overlord
GMC Elder
I'll see if I can scrape *something* together for this. Worst timing possible lol... but we'll see! :)

W

Wraithious

I will try this again, and this time I will pay more attention to saving my work often, especially when making sprites!

Shawn Basnett

Discount Dev
I can't seem to find this in the post, but, do you have to have the project file for download too? Like Open source Game jams?

M

Misu

Not necesarily... if you want to, go ahead. However, all download must contain a playable entry for others to evaluate.

Micah_DS

I pre-ordered Tales of Berseria for PC on Steam, and it releases on the 26th, the day before the jam begins.. :eek:

...oh life, how cruel you can be.

I'll just have to dig deep within myself to find the restraint to focus on the game jam.

M

Misu

Im just going to stress out Alice with this following statement...

WHERE ARE THE OTHER LETTER REVEALS?!?

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
Alright, alright, no need to shout. ^^'

- - - - - - - T H - - - - - E - - - - - - -
- - - R - - - - M - - -
T - - - - - O - -

:squirrel:

Status
Not open for further replies.