GMC Jam Discussion The Experimental GMC Jam #3 Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

matharoo

manualman
GameMaker Dev.
@matharoo: As much as I love your edit (I really do!), I'm afraid the future is a fickle lady and things might not turn out quite like you picture it.

(not to mention that I'd probably picture the winning theme with some sloppily made picture, too...)
My body is ready for the unforeseeable future

T

TheMatrixHasMe

Is it too late to participate? I've never done a jam before.

R

Ruhar

It's going to be difficult not to plan too big. I have some fun ideas but they're likely too ambitious for a 3 day jam, at least for my skill level.

Still deciding on what to vote for.

R

rui.rosario

I'm going to plan big (happens all the time), the thing is I'll try to develop in a way that even if my idea gets halfway through I'll still have something playable and (hopefully) fun.

T

TheMatrixHasMe

it's not to late. In fact you are just in time, as voting for theme is going on :)
Okay, real quick questions guys. Where do we vote on a theme and how do I join the Jam or know I'm officially in? I'm like a total noobie in the Jam so forgive my ignorance. I read the stuff posted in the beginning of the thread a couple of times but am missing these tidbits.

M

Misu

Anyone is in. Just PM Alice which theme you choose. Once the jam begins, you simply reserve a spot in the GMC Jam Game Topic (which is not up yet) and start making something

matharoo

manualman
GameMaker Dev.
you simply reserve a spot in the GMC Jam Game Topic (which is not up yet) and start making something
Oh, so you must make a post in the new thread beforehand? And then use that only post to share your game and possibly a devlog?

M

Misu

Oh, so you must make a post in the new thread beforehand? And then use that only post to share your game and possibly a devlog?
Yes although you can place your post in it anytime within the jam phase. I mostly recommend doing sooner when that thread is up. You can add one post per entry.

sylvain_l

IMHO, if you plan to do a devlog, can't be bad to write your devlog every day/sessions, (depend of course how you work).
else, what's really required is to post your entry before the end of the gamejam ;)

S

Sinaz20

Realized most games are a time loop if you continue or replay them :p

C

CoderJoe

GMC jams! Woot woot! Hype! I needed something to do this weekend anyways.

C

Coolbot4k

Ah, the Jam. My number one excuse for me to forgo my responsibilities and get some Game Maker time in. I hope to participate, but have two quick questions (and don't feel like scouring the entire thread):
  1. Can we use GMS 2 beta?
  2. Do I need to vote on a theme? I'd rather just see what it turns out to be. Plus, I'm not 100% I'll enter.

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
@Coolbot4k:

1. Of course you can, as long as you produce a working executable as a result (not requiring GM:S to run or anything).
2. It's not necessary, if you don't have preference, you can just skip theme voting altogether. Theme voting and participation are pretty much independent.

D

dj_midknight

JAM PREP HYPE!

When strategically planning to skip lots of sleep, and stay pretty much locked into a 3' square for 3 days its a great idea to meal prep. You gonna want lots of healthy ready to eat filling foods. So rather than to do teen thing and live off frozen microwaveables I have prepped enough meat, potatoes, and rice to feed a small army. Once I finish the breakfast sausage the only thing left to worry about are frying up a few eggs to kick breakfast off with an amazing burrito.

jam_prepping.jpg

D

Deanaro

I
JAM PREP HYPE!

When strategically planning to skip lots of sleep, and stay pretty much locked into a 3' square for 3 days its a great idea to meal prep. You gonna want lots of healthy ready to eat filling foods. So rather than to do teen thing and live off frozen microwaveables I have prepped enough meat, potatoes, and rice to feed a small army. Once I finish the breakfast sausage the only thing left to worry about are frying up a few eggs to kick breakfast off with an amazing burrito.

View attachment 6390
ERROR
In obj_burrito
Create event
Line 3

variable is not declared (_214700473,10010) hotsauce
GMS_obj_burrito_create burrito += hotsauce;

abort copy clear

Last edited by a moderator:
M

McWolke

time loop is kinda story-heavy i think, and stories need graphics, and i suck at both :/ so i'll hope for mirror image.

M

Misu

Damn it. I am already anticipated for this jam. I want it started already. Let us all hope it is NOT mirror image.

JacobV

I have no idea what "Dealing with Consequences" would be, a few ideas for Mirror Image, and all the ideas for Time Loop.

M

Misu

Time Loop is an excellent choice for a theme!

Also 11 hours and 50 minutes left for Jamming time.

R

Ruhar

Would I be allowed to share my progress with another person participating in the game and receive feedback (similar to what happens in "Work In Progress") without them being included as having participated in my game development? Basically, can I do that and still be a one man team? They wouldn't be helping with code or anything.

If that's allowed without needing to count the other person as a member of the development team, I'd like to extend the offer to anyone here and we can have an "I scratch your back, you scratch mine" kind of thing going on.

M

Misu

Would I be allowed to share my progress with another person participating in the game ...
Most definitely yes. That is done with a devlog, which are annotations and screenies of progress within your post in the GMC Jam Game Topic. You can also share them here in the discussion for anyone to see, even outsiders...

... and receive feedback (similar to what happens in "Work In Progress")
Well you can receive the feedbacks here in the same discussion thread when you are working on the project still and use social media outside of the forum. In that kind of standards, its alright.

Okay, I have a fantastic, top tier idea for "Deal with Consequences" and "Time Loop". If it's "Mirror Image" I may be doomed.

I hope it's time loop because I like the idea for that one the best. I'm going to go work out a few more kinks in the story for that one.

EVERYONE VOTE FOR TIME LOOP!

C

CoderJoe

Better start brewing the coffee now. Wait... nvm, just gonna go get an IV to inject caffeine straight into my bloodstream. That can't be bad right?
As for this game jam thing it can't have any negative effects either right?
-looks at side of box-
*side effects may include inability to sleep, hyperactivity, zero activity, programmers block, sore eyes from staring at a screen, random screaming at your computer, constant checking of Gamemaker forums, frustration, fun, and utter lack of doing homework*

C

CoderJoe

Well that works. I've seen that stuff. Its like energy drinks on energy drinks. But hey! It gets the job done!

makas

Im a bit late to the hype train but I cant see the voting poll is the theme already decided? :O by the way I will totally participate again :)

matharoo

manualman
GameMaker Dev.
Im a bit late to the hype train but I cant see the voting poll is the theme already decided? :O by the way I will totally participate again :)
The winning theme will be announced in 6 hours, when the jam starts
You're not late, you may join, the jam hasn't even started yet :)

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
@Lonewolff
The theme options are:
DEAL WITH CONSEQUENCES
MIRROR IMAGE
TIME LOOP

If you want, you can vote for one of these (by sending me a PM; no other method counts). Voting is not required for particpation, so if you can't decide, you can skip it altogether.

P

PixelSquid

Hi gmc,
It's my first time jamming, so still a bit confuse :p to I need to sign up anywhere?
Thanks and good luck to all of you!

Micah_DS

I expect to have about 6 hours free for this game jam. Far less than my ~16 hours last jam....... in other words...

I'll do my best to make my joke game as entertaining as possible. :p

Lol, nah, but either it's gonna be a joke game or I'm going with glorious 1-bit color, etc. I don't want to bore you guys with lackluster gameplay like last time.

matharoo

manualman
GameMaker Dev.
Hi gmc,
It's my first time jamming, so still a bit confuse :p to I need to sign up anywhere?
Thanks and good luck to all of you!
No you don't. You just have to submit your game when it's finished. There will be a new thread, that's where you do it. If you want you can reserve a post beforehand; and use only that post for your submission/updates.
If you want to vote for a theme from the 3 available, PM Alice with the theme you want.
DEAL WITH CONSEQUENCES
MIRROR IMAGE
TIME LOOP

Ok I'm ready for my first ever jam! Vote is in and I have one day free this weekend!

Now considering it takes me a day to draw a background, I have no idea how I expect to churn an entire game out in this time period, but ya know, I'll give it a go and see what happens :)

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
Aaaaaand the theme is...

TIME LOOP

Now let's get Jamming!

Full votes breakdown:
14 - DEAL WITH CONSEQUENCES
11 - MIRROR IMAGE
18 - TIME LOOP

Status
Not open for further replies.