The Empire

Discussion in 'Work in Progress' started by TinyGamesLab, Mar 7, 2019.

1. TinyGamesLab

TinyGamesLab Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    General Info
    This is a little game created under 72hs for the GMCJAM32, and then refined for the Blackthornprod GAME JAM #2 under the next 4 days. I was lucky to join 2 GameJams that happened at the same time so I decided to merge the themes, which were "Conquest" and "Mini-planets". After the GMC Jam I used the received feedback to improve the game to submit a better version to the BTP Jam. I believe that the feedback did make the game improve a lot!

How to play
    The game is about space domination, where you have to dominate each planet individually and beat your opponent to it!

The game is played in turns. Each turn you are either able to move some troops (never leaving less than one in a planet) or pass your turn.

The planet information is shown on the left pane and includes info like maximum population capacity, growth and defense.

I was able to create 2 levels into the game, so when you beat the first one your are propped to the second. When you beat the second one you go back to the first (Maybe to replay it?!)

Where to play
    Please play the game at itch.io page. If you feel like it, you can also submit your comment there!
    https://tinygameslab.itch.io/the-empire

What to do next?
    I hope to use the joined feedback received from both jams, and this forum post, to further refine the game and publish a final version!
    Please leave your comments and suggestions here to improve it! All feedback is welcome.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
  2. TinyGamesLab

TinyGamesLab Member

If anyone is interested in learning how the game was made, I published a video covering the development process:

HayManMarc likes this.
  3. Guitarmike

Guitarmike Member

I just played (and beat) the first level. Very fun with a nice clean look. Could there be some kind of "elite troops" where you can trade in a several regular troops to get one upgraded one with more power? Just a thought. Also, sometimes I was a little puzzled by the moves the AI made - they didn't always make sense (to me) strategically.

TinyGamesLab likes this.
  4. Taddio

Taddio Member

Played it tonight, it looked like my kind of jam. I liked it overall, I'm a sucker for cartoony graphics and turn-based strategy, so I had to give it a shot.
    On the constructive side, to improve my user experience a bit, I noticed 2 things. First, make it so a mouse click OR spacebar goes to the next tutorial page. Everything else is mouse-based, it would make sense and be more intuitive.
    Second and more importantly, it's kind of annoying and redundant to have to click "move" everytime. Logically, if I selected a planet and a quantity of unit, I would expect to move them when clicking on a neighbor planet directly, without the need for a "move" button (unless you plan on expanding the options, I don't know...).
    But overall, I enjoyed it a lot. To me, it felt a bit like Mushroom Wars. A real-time mode and a 2 players couch battle would be awesome additions, but maybe that's just me!
    Good job, bro

TinyGamesLab likes this.
  5. Dr. Wolf

Dr. Wolf Member

I feel like there are a lot of reasons why you might want to click another planet (changed your mind about where to move from, or just want to have a look), and it'd be super-annoying to have to remember to put your unit quantity back to 0.

What would help IMO would be if, in accordance with common conventions for strategy games on PC, a right-click immediately moved the selected quantity.

You could also make quantity default to the maximum number that can move. In combination with right-click-to-move, this would allow a substantial portion of turns to be executed with a single action.

TinyGamesLab likes this.