• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Idea The Elder Scrolls: Daggerfall + Haven & Hearth = my dream

Fredrik

You've probably heard about The Elder Scrolls: Daggerfall, but have you ever heard about a survival mmo game called 'Haven & Hearth' ?
I have dream, impossible perhaps, but a dream non the less... to make a game combining Daggerfall and H&H. I have years of experience working with 3D in GM but no experience with networking and multiplayer, and no experience with 3D terrain.

Does this sound doable or impossible in GM?

chamaeleon

You've probably heard about The Elder Scrolls: Daggerfall, but have you ever heard about a survival mmo game called 'Haven & Hearth' ?
I have dream, impossible perhaps, but a dream non the less... to make a game combining Daggerfall and H&H. I have years of experience working with 3D in GM but no experience with networking and multiplayer, and no experience with 3D terrain.

Does this sound doable or impossible in GM?
Possible? Probably. Just don't write the server in GMS.

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
I have years of experience working with 3D in GM
no experience with 3D terrain.
Have all your prior games been about people floating in a 3D void...?

MMOs have some of the heaviest netcode imaginable (potentially, all players in a server could be in the same location). Instanced dungeons and the way people can lag behind several seconds are basically necessary for them to be able to run properly, because sending status updates from every player to every other player is an exponentially expensive workload (N players means N^2 messages, and they all go through the server and might need several steps of validation). The more you can put players into small manageable batches, the better the server will be able to handle things. Loading 3D terrain could be done locally just fine (displaying assets basically is the only thing you can trust a client with) so whether your game is 2D or 3D shouldn't really affect the netcode all that much.