Windows The Dankest Odyssey

OnLashoc

UPDATED 01-22-2019

Hello,
I started almost 1 year ago learning programming and after making several smaller projects or games via tutorials, etc. I immediately made a mistake by being very ambitious and taking on a multiplayer battle arena style game with leader boards, planetary conquest and more.

After actually getting pretty far into that project, I got hampered by several programming road blocks and belayed with art design. Fast forward 6 months or so, I upgraded my computer and believing I transferred everything over to the new hard drive, I realized my hard work was lost. I did make several backups to my cloud storage, however, those files are at minimum 3-5 weeks behind where I was in the project.

So I decided to work on increasing my skill and knowledge of GMS 2 and GML in general and focused on doing as many tutorials I could and began reading everything I could about GML.

Since then, I started a new project called "The Dankest Odyssey". Having independently authored a couple books that take after older TV shows like The Twilight Zone, Alfred Hitchcock Presents, The Outer Limits, Black Mirror, Goosebumps, etc. I wanted to make a game like that! :) So here I am to present my current and not too far off from playable demo as I transition into art development and refining, I wanted to share! I've story-boarded, flow-chart'd, spreadsheet'd (lol) to my hearts content and started plugging away! It's amazing how far I've come in 1 year, I've shocked myself.

Plot - You begin your journey upon birth. After choosing your path you are teleport-ed to the dungeon corresponding with your chosen path and must find your way back to civilization.
During your odyssey, you will battle monsters, gangsters, and more in this funny adventure!

Highlights
-Currently 12 different story arcs with each having unique dungeons, enemies, and bosses
-Achievements including decorations, abilities, and perks
-Multiple mini games

*Click the spoiler tags to view hidden previous videos, oldest video removed due to site restrictions

Video #7 01-05-2019 Added Enemy drop coins and hud changes

Video #8 01-06-2019 Added Enemy Item Drop with choices

Video #9 01-12-2019 Added map and indicator and killed hot dog man

Video #10 01-15-2019 Consolidated objects and coding, fixed options display, and more.

Video #11 01-21-2019 / #5 Youtube Video, Redrawn hand animations, weapons, retrieving items from inventory, adding to inventory and Turn Based Combat

You can follow the project here: https://www.facebook.com/OnLashocTDO

I also stream on Twitch while I'm working on my GMS projects at http://twitch.tv/onlashoc

I just started that page after having started this project about a month ago, but will add more content more regularly now that the page exists lol.

https://gph.is/2CPoMfI

Onnie

Also to add, yes I know my attributes table is showing when you hit quit which I will clean up later, very very back burner stuff lol (could fix it in like 30 seconds but Im being lazy). Also, the voodoo doll snow globe animation is a part of the story and will change depending on your choices. It and the armor paper doll do change, and can be replaced with other gained snow globes via multiple play-throughs :)

The hud along with most other stuff is place-holder material thus why I didn't show more as there is no need, but the foundation is very solid right now :)

For now on I will only update the initial post as to not spam this forum. :)

Last edited:

OnLashoc

Haven't posted in a while, just topic updates and new videos.

I'm still looking for some artwork and writing to help add content.

Just shoot me a message if interested as I am now focusing on content creation.

There is at least one of you who doesn't / didn't like my work enough to create a new account to troll me. It's cool, it got handled, but I am aware at least one of you dislike my work. If this is happening to anyone else, just report it and don't give it the energy it desires.

F

FROGANUS

amazing arms. good work so far! its pretty hilarious in motion with just the arms and hud and darkness and hotdog man.
i'm curious about the what kind of setting/backgrounds you have in mind, imagining like classic wizardry-style dungeon crawling?
would like to see this progress.

OnLashoc

amazing arms. good work so far! its pretty hilarious in motion with just the arms and hud and darkness and hotdog man.
i'm curious about the what kind of setting/backgrounds you have in mind, imagining like classic wizardry-style dungeon crawling?
would like to see this progress.
Well thank you, most of the artwork as stated in the video is place holder stuff, and the current arms are the second iteration. Hopefully I can make them even better.

As to the settings, I have 12 different story arcs each with different settings and different means of how you get there.
The big picture is the game is generally about death, and making such a somber part of life a little more light hearted (or dark humor-ish).

I lost my mother when I was 18 to ovarian cancer, she was 39 ( I will be that in April). I lost my father about 6 years ago as of October to colon cancer. I served 9 years in the Army, buried 2 soldiers (of which I was pretty close to RIP SGT. Knox and SSG. Orlando) and lost 2 more to suicide. These events in my life prompted me to write 2 graphic novels titled The Soul of Something & The Soul of Something: Aiden.

Having been around much death and pain in my life, I wanted to make something that would have deep meaning in a rogue-like-MS-DoS-ish / 80's / D-n-D/ game format. That prompted me to try and learn game programming. After trying my hand at Unity for a month or so, plus a couple Udemy courses, I just felt like I wasn't learning fast enough. I know I should be more optimistic, but I'm almost at the age my mother passed away and it's given me this soft deadline to do this. I'm not rushing it, but I have been eating, sleeping, learning GML since last January when I found out about GML / GMS 2.

So, since I've traveled down the rabbits hole...
I have 12 story arcs, all with a connection. About 28 weapons, 30 armor pieces, and 5 mini games (hope to add a couple more).

Since I now have a turn based combat system I developed all on my own (yes I tried and looked at other stuff on the market and asked around, nothing fit my needs), all the critical functions work (losing health, adding health via potions, have other statuses effect health, showing effects of damage, damage happening when and where it's supposed to, dying, killing, random item drops, inventory management, mapping, yadda yadda, the core mechanics are all there and functional) I can now focus on the art and fleshing out the stories even more.

Thank you for the feedback!

PS - Hotdog man became real when my co-worker jokingly said you should make a hotdog man. So that night I came home and hotdog man was born! And if you think he's funny, wait till you see what happens when you eat the magical mushrooms!

Last edited: