Released The Cursed Legion 1.0.0 - Free CCG

Phoebe Klim

The Eclipse is about to plunge Human Worlds into darkness.

The Swarm is gathering, the Corporation is expanding, the Rebellion is rising, the Alliance is burning and the Curse is spreading.

You were the first one to be touched by the Curse.
You were chosen to be the Archlegionaire, to rebuild the Cursed Legion and lead it into the Eclipse to stop the forces of darkness from devouring Sun.

The Cursed Legion is a free single-player collectible card game.

Features:
  • 100+ cards to collect.
  • Non-linear single-player campaign.
  • Epic sci-fi setting that pits dark magic against tanks, supersoldiers, and mutants.
  • Card collecting that is not hindered by microtransactions.
Download:

Last edited:
Z

zendraw

currently downloading it, i presume the rules are explained in the game?

Z

zendraw

ok the game looks fun, the atmosphere is there and ilike it, and i kinda get whats going on, but the battles seem too random. no idea why this or that is happening.

not sure if i like the auto-combat thou.

Phoebe Klim

ok the game looks fun, the atmosphere is there and ilike it, and i kinda get whats going on, but the battles seem too random. no idea why this or that is happening.

not sure if i like the auto-combat thou.
Each card has up to three skills and if the card is active, it uses those skills + attacks. There can be up to 7 cards on each side, so yeah, a lot of stuff is happening =]
You can see what each card does from its tooltip.

It would be too annoying to activate all those skills manually.

Z

zendraw

ok, so, finished the campaign or w/e it is, for what it is, i like it, and im starting to like the auto combat, dont want to say anything more, you shuld work more on the game,

1 bug that i found, when your field is full, it doesnt allow you to put a structure card, the passive ones. gives you the message when you try to put a unit with a full field.

Phoebe Klim

ok, so, finished the campaign or w/e it is, for what it is, i like it, and im starting to like the auto combat, dont want to say anything more, you shuld work more on the game,

1 bug that i found, when your field is full, it doesnt allow you to put a structure card, the passive ones. gives you the message when you try to put a unit with a full field.
Oops, I'll fix that!
I'm glad you like the game, I'll definitely keep improving it =]

sylvain_l

Warning, going to be rude:

only tested for 6 first fights, so I don't know if later things get more interesting; but for what I've seen. Sorry, in its actual state game is just boring! (mechanism actually kill all the rest for me)

Mechanic for me is really too simple/miss some more tactical option/value.
Tactical value is very low IMO, because you put a card in field, and attack, put another, attack and at the end attack, attack, attack (witch can be really boring, when no one have any card to put on field and you just have the two leader on field... a speed resolve in those case could really help)
and for the rest, for what I have experiment, it's mostly the one with the higher number of cards +-1 who win (temper a bit I suppose by the level of the cards, but for what I have experiment, didn't really count much).
Actually the deck construction is just about putting all the card you own into the deck. meh :(

Hope some more complex mechanisms are coming, as it's just an early alpha. Else would be a shame for all the hard work put into the drawings, animations, etc...

Personnaly I have no taste for those mostly full automated CCG where you just watch fancy cards and animations doing nothing or little. And all is about collecting cards.
I prefer more complex CCG like the good old MTG <3 (I'm perhaps totally out of your targeted audience :p)

Phoebe Klim

sylvain_l,

It does get slightly more tactical, if you play longer.
As for future, there will be a lot more tactical options - card replacing at the start of a battle, action/spell cards and card skills that require targeting.

Also, deck building IS not relevant in the early game. I expect players to start seriously build the deck once all deck slots are filled.
I could make players start with a full deck and get into complex deck building instantly, but I think that starting from 0 with few random cards is much more interesting, even if deck building strategy suffers from it in the beginning.

There's a long way to go, a lot of things to add, a lot of decisions to make, a lot of things to realize.
One thing for sure, I don't want to make another Hearthstone or another automated CCG. I want to use their good ideas in new interesting ways.

Z

zendraw

there is defenetly deck building in your game, and the deck has a limit of 20 cards+commander?
ive noticed different generals use different combinations of cards for efficency, and the last lightning battle with 20 cards is challenging and you must spend time in deck building.
but yes you get that a bit later, so perhaps you shuld make some combo availible at the start? dunno.

edit: dont know if you take suggestions, in case you do, id suggest to make the deck building screen cards not slide, but change in pairs, like first 10, next 10, next 10 etc. with the slots availible nwo it takes time to reach the end and i cant imagine when you add more cards.

Phoebe Klim

dont know if you take suggestions, in case you do, id suggest to make the deck building screen cards not slide, but change in pairs, like first 10, next 10, next 10 etc. with the slots availible nwo it takes time to reach the end and i cant imagine when you add more cards.
I do take suggestions =]
Yes, the inventory sliding will be implemented. I know that scrolling is really annoying, I just didn't had time to add it.

D

dj_midknight

So I have a bit of feedback on the game so far.

1: auto resolve button when you run out of cards.
2: add a pass button for turns where you dont want to attack.
3: the tutorial should explain what each field on the card means. Its not super hard to figure out on your own, but it would make more sense right away if you just explained it off one card.

Phoebe Klim

So I have a bit of feedback on the game so far.

1: auto resolve button when you run out of cards.
2: add a pass button for turns where you dont want to attack.
3: the tutorial should explain what each field on the card means. Its not super hard to figure out on your own, but it would make more sense right away if you just explained it off one card.
Good suggestions!

I never thought about an ability to skip your attack phase. There could be even card skills that activate only if you pass.
You could make some sort of passive-aggressive decks with them =P
the tutorial should explain what each field on the card means
You mean damage, health, and cost?

Z

zendraw

i think you shuld make a specific screen that explains everything about the cards and rules of the game, even the obvious things, so when the card says it does 5 dmg, but deals 2, the player wuld know that there is some effect in play. plus ive never playerd heartstone. im more of a YGO guy.

Z

zendraw

another bug, the enemy card came like that and that exact position stayed a bit lower to the rest of the game, even in the next battle

plus i do think you shuld give the player to manually attack what he wants, now the situations where the units attack random when i can destroy the enemy commander in that exact turn are just too meny. the random factor is just too in the way of the gameplay.

sylvain_l

trying to go further; but definetly
but yes you get that a bit later, so perhaps you shuld make some combo availible at the start? dunno.
+1 for that suggestion, as I personnally first giveup after my 6th duel.
Or give more of deckbuilding touch sooner with a rule like limiting number of cards = number of cards of the campaign opponent ?

Phoebe Klim

What I am going to do is give two cards for the player in the beginning.
One will deal 2 damage to all enemies and the other will restore 3 health to all allies.
"Restore All 3 on Play" and "Strike All 2 on Play".

Phoebe Klim

Update #1: Combat tutorial!

The Cursed Legion has been updated!

Several players have reported that the game is confusing because the tutorial is not doing a very good job explaining how the game works.

This update fixes that!
Now before starting combat before the first quest players will see in-depth explanations about how the card combat works.

The best part - it is possible to bring back the explanations whenever you need a reminder!

The next update will improve card combat to be more interesting!
There will be new action cards, new tactical card skills, and more challenging quests!

Until next time!

Last edited:
Z

zendraw

btw you forgot to mention in the tutorial that your units first attack what unit is infront of them and if no unit is there, they attack the commander, i just recently found that out. otherwise i thought they attack at random.

also you shuld nerf the giant spider, its just op, if the enemy has 2-3, cant touch him. espetially if he can heal them

Last edited:

Phoebe Klim

btw you forgot to mention in the tutorial that your units first attack what unit is infront of them and if no unit is there, they attack the commander, i just recently found that out. otherwise i thought they attack at random.
You are right, that's a very important detail and I totally forgot about it. I will definitely add it with the next update.

Phoebe Klim

New card revealed!

Go to my Patreon page: Click here >>

In other news:

I am working on new quests and starter card packs.
Instead of buying 6 random cards in the beginning of the game, players will be able to choose one out of five starter packs.
I am making this change because right now there's a risk of getting bad cards from first two Rebirth packs.

Last edited:

Phoebe Klim

Upcoming update and Patreon card reveals

Hey all, I have just revealed two more cards that will be added to The Cursed Legion with the next update.

Go to my Patreon page: Click here >>

New cards are not the only thing that will be added to the game with the next update!

There will be:
  • New quests. From 2 to as much as I can add this week.
  • Starter decks instead of buying random cards.
  • Improved quest replay rewards.
An update should come out this week if I won't be too busy.

Z

zendraw

i think your rushin out with stackin content. the game is still very basic and unpolished and i think theres more work to be done on the battle system.

Phoebe Klim

i think your rushin out with stackin content. the game is still very basic and unpolished and i think theres more work to be done on the battle system.
Battle system itself is good, but the game is not fully using it. Experience will improve with content, mostly. Maybe not with this content induction, but still. Cards that apply skills on target chosen by the player, more cards with "on Play" skills, action cards, chaos runs, etc. I'm also trying to get to fully decked quests (27 cards versus 27 cards, I have just increased max cards in a deck to 27) where more advanced deck building can step in.

Besides, I've got few people, who already enjoy the game as it is now, so I got to think about those people too.

Phoebe Klim

5 cards have been revealed on Patreon!

I have added 5 new cards!

Go to my Patreon page to see them: Click here >>

In other news:

I have implemented starter packs and rebalanced replay rewards, which are now visible in quest descriptions!
I have also made few improvements to deck builder. Inventory sliding has been fixed and deck size has been increased to 27! That’s probably the final deck size.
Finally, now there are 3 action cards! Action cards should make battles more interesting. They are similar to spell cards in Hearthstone.

Anyway, now I’m working on new quests and when I’m done with them, I can finally update the game.

Until next time!

Last edited:

Phoebe Klim

2 new cards have been revealed on Patreon!

Go to my Patreon page to see them: Click here >>

In other news:

I'm still working on new quests. Decided to make a full campaign.
It's half done, I will finish it in a day or two.

Last edited:

Phoebe Klim

Update #2: Iriary campaign, new cards and new mechanics!

The journey of the Cursed Legion continues!
Archlegionaire leads the Legion to the Republic of Iriary, an epicentre of the Alliance's war against the Rebellion.

Action cards

Actions are the new type of cards. Instead of creating minions, action cards activate powerful skills
This adds a whole new layer of strategy!

Iriary

The Republic of Iriary is a new area east of Columa.
Iriary contains 10 new challenging quests with generous rewards.

Starter cards

Instead of spending 100 silver to buy 6 random cards in the beginning, now you choose one of 5 starter packs.
In addition to 4 cards of the chosen faction, you will also receive 2 action cards.

New cards

Over 10 new cards have been added to Rebirth recruitment pack and Iriary quest rewards!
Become my patron on Patreon to see all of them: Click here >>

Target skills

Several of newly added cards have Strike Target skill.
Strike Target will deal damage to a card selected by you!

Minor improvements
  • Slightly improved map interface.
  • Silver Knight now has Boost All Corporation 1 on Play instead of Boost All Corporation 1.
  • Moth Swarm now costs 2 influence, has 0 attack and 3 health.
  • Mobile Blockade now has Instant instead of Summon Mobile Blockade on Death.
  • Giant Spider is now uncommon and it has 8 health instead of 10.
  • Cursed Scout now has 1 health instead of 2 and 1 attack instead of 2.
  • Locust Prince now has Void 1.
  • Improved card and skill name resizing.
  • Added action cards.
  • Rebalanced replay rewards.
  • Quest rewards are now included in quest description.
  • Improved Barracks quest.
  • Changed Overwhelm skill.
What's next?

This update is a huge step forward, but The Cursed Legion is still full of problems!
Next update will improve the battle system - many annoying inconsistencies and glitches will be fixed.
I will also try to implement card redraw feature.
But more about that in upcoming posts!

Have fun!

Phoebe Klim

RNG or no RNG? [Poll]

If you played The Cursed Legion, you have noticed that some skills target random ally or random enemy.
This makes The Cursed Legion strongly based on luck.
I can remove these skills and replace them with skills that target certain ally or certain enemy.

For example, Smite, Missile and Assassinate skills would replace would replace Strike skill.
Smite 1: Deals 1 damage to the unit that is next to enemy commander.
Missile 1: Deals 1 damage to the last unit in the enemy row.
Assassinate 1: Deals 1 damage to enemy commander

Why is randomness good? Because it creates "OH NO!" and "OH YES!" moments.
Removing randomness would make the game a little stale, but maybe that is acceptable if in exchange game becomes very tactical.
Also, randomness would not disappear entirely. You would still draw random cards from your deck.
Chaos quests that pit you against completely random enemy decks wouldn't go anywhere either.
(In fact, I am going to improve upon the idea and create an engine that generates a random campaign!)

This is a very big decision, so I have created a poll to help me choose the best option.

Click here to vote >>

Z

zendraw

why dont you just make the player decide what he wants to do in his turn?

Phoebe Klim

why dont you just make the player decide what he wants to do in his turn?
You mean allow player to select target manually for every attack and skill?

1. It would be very annoying to target so many skills. I had a prototype where this was a thing, that was not good.
2. It would require incredibly complex enemy AI to target skills just like the player does. More complex card mechanics = more complex enemy AI.

Phoebe Klim

RNG or no RNG? [Poll results]

After few days of voting, I think that now I know enough to make my decision.

Because votes are rather even, there will have to be a compromise.
I've got some very useful feedback alongside votes, so it's clear what I have to do.

90% cards will be changed to have no random targeting skills.
Remaining cards will keep their random skills, but they will be rebalanced to make sure that their random effects are healthy to the game.

I am not sure yet which cards will be chosen to have random effects and what effects they will have, so more about that in future.
I'd love to hear some RNG card suggestions =]

Thank you all for voting and feedback!

In other news:

I have made few important changes to card battle engine, now it is more stable.

Phoebe Klim

Card reveal #14 and what I've been doing

Another card has added to the game, you can see it on Patreon page: Click here >>

Haven't posted anything about the Cursed Legion for a while!
The reason is that I was simply working a lot on Sector Six and I didn't have enough time to work on the Cursed Legion.

I did few pretty cool things through.
I've made new animations for Restore, Boost, Block and Break skills, got rid of the most random target skills and added new epic battle music!

I can't tell when the Cursed Legion will be updated next, but probably soon.

Phoebe Klim

3 new cards have been revealed on Patreon!

Click here to see them >>

In other news:

I'm still working on new skills and animations.
Today I have made a death animation for cards, implemented Laser and Smite skills, added 3 new cards, improved Suppress skill animation and rebalanced several cards.
I have also removed Strike Target skill because it wasn't fun to use it.
New Laser and Smite skills do what Strike Target skill did, but it's easier to use for both player and AI, so it's a big improvement.

Z

zendraw

btw in itchi.io it says that the game was uploaded 31 days ago? where shuld i download it from?

Phoebe Klim

Card reveal #18

Another card has been revealed on Patreon!
Click here to see it >>

In other news:

The game has been downloaded 400 times on GameJolt and that is GLORIOUS!
Thanks for playing and don't give up on the game, next update is going to improve it by a lot!

If I'll keep getting downloads, I'll implement some sort of multiplayer and GameJolt achievements!

Phoebe Klim

Update #3: Battle engine improvements, new cards, and more

The Cursed Legion now has a better battle engine!
Now it's more consistent and produces less unwanted events.

Another big change is new card skills and stats!
About a half of cards have been reworked to have new skill skills that do not target random enemies.
  • Laser X: Deals X damage to the last unit in enemy row.
  • Smite X: Deals X damage to the enemy unit that is next to commander.
  • Beacon X: Restores X health to itself and nearby units.
  • Suppress X: Temporarily reduces the attack of three enemies in front by X.
  • Siphon: Enemy cannot play action cards.
With new skills comes new animations - most of the skills now have better animations.
I have also added a minor death animation.

Finally, I have added 10 new cards!
  • Martyr Queen Celsia - Uncommon Rebellion Commander.
  • Firehaul Supreme - Common Rebellion Unit.
  • Abandoned Warehouse - Uncommon Swarm Structure.
  • Pantheon of Void - Rare Legion Structure.
  • Aspect of Void - Rare Legion Unit.
  • Scytheous - Uncommon Corporation Unit.
  • Deathray - Uncommon Corporation Action.
  • Lord of Eruption - Uncommon Legion Unit.
  • Shagor's Fire - Uncommon Legion Action.
  • Rumbling Megacraft - Common Alliance Unit.
This update has changed the game quite a bit, so feedback on changes would be very appreciated!
Have fun!

Phoebe Klim

The Cursed Legion development will resume in 2018

When I started working on the Cursed Legion, it was just an experiment, another one of my side projects.
Now I have decided that the Cursed Legion is too good to be just a side project.

Most of my time goes to development of Sector Six, that is my main project.
It's getting close to being finished and it keeps demanding more and more of my time.

Because of that, I only get 1-2 hours per week to work on the Cursed Legion, while my main project gets 3-6 hours per day!

So the best thing to do for the Cursed Legion is to postpone its development until I can turn it into my new main project.

Sector Six should be finished this year so the development of the Cursed Legion will resume in early 2018!

I won't continue working with a clunky battle engine, card editor, and other features.
I will recreate the Cursed Legion completely, it will be my main project, and it won't take long.

The Cursed Legion inherited a large portion of its systems from the other CCG I made.
It was a mere prototype, my first attempt to make a CCG.

Because I had no experience with CCG's, that prototype's - and so the Cursed Legion's - systems are very poorly made.
I could spend months trying to fix them and even then they wouldn't work as well as they should.

So instead the Cursed Legion will be remade from a scratch, to be greater than ever!
This includes story and card art.

My artist got a better software, so cards will look much better!

The new Cursed Legion will launch with multiplayer, original soundtrack and good sound effects!

To pay for them, there will be a paid version of the game.
The premium version will cost 3$ and will have some additional features and content.

The Cursed Legion will stay free, but instead of 100%, it will just 90% =P
I think that's a small sacrifice for multiplayer and good sound effects.

What's also good about the Cursed Legion having a premium version is that I will be able to release it on Steam with cards and other goodness!

I think that will be epic!

Thanks for playing and see you in 2018!

Phoebe Klim

The last update

This is the last update for the Cursed Legion.

New cards

• Zeos, Shaper of Triumph
  • Escalon Rifflehound
  • Arcane Surge
  • ACS Independence
  • Aerometric Catalyst
  • Grotesque Embodiment
  • Helltail
  • Front Line Blader
  • Corrupted Lancer
  • Lieutenant Blake
  • Miasmic Rift
  • Protegon
  • Terrus Terminal
  • Elite Exterminator
  • Horror-33
Changes

• Rare and uncommon cards are now more common.
  • Fixed structure playing glitch.
  • Removed links to Patreon and mentions of the game being in alpha.
  • Added button that gives 1500 silver.
Have fun!