GMC Jam Discussion The Cosy GMC Jam 39 Discussion Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Magnus

Viking King
Pathétique by Mr Magnus

7:54 seconds and 24 coins. The right level of difficulty. Mostly I think the music choice made it for me. If it had been silent or abrasive, I probably would have stopped.
Congratulations, you're my today's "things I had no expection would happen" award, even I barely finished it start to end for testing purposes. Well done! :D

Mightyjor

Reserved.

Going live December 2nd and 4th some other day(s) @ 8pm sometime EST :)

Stream link: https://twitch.tv/tehpilot

11/31 games complete
Twitch Video

Hansha
To Hell With It
Pugthetic
Distress Signal Found
Monster Hunger
A Hole In Space
Five Minute Mystery
Awaremon
Bandit
Pathetic Prosthetics
Danger Noodle
Your play through of my game Awaremon was absolutely hilarious to watch, thanks so much for the laughs! I skipped ahead to try and find it and saw you took on the final boss at 5 difficulty and I was like WTH this must have taken an hour! Then I realized I had a bug in the restart of the game. I’ve fixed the health bar bug and the difficulty has been revamped so it doesn’t take 10 hours to beat the game on 3 difficulty.
You guys got pretty close to guessing how the Rng worked.

Basically the enemy attack chooses a number between 0 and your players level multiplied by the difficulty level. The health of the enemies is I think 12 x your players level x difficulty level. That way you can fight the enemies in any order you want. The exception is the final boss who’s attack and health are 30 x difficulty level I think. The way it is in the jam, no one should play any difficulty other than 1 because the Hug is not powerful enough to make a difference.

The M

Watching you struggle with keyboard ghosting was heartbreaking. I guess I'll take that as a lesson for next time.

Maybe I should make a version with gamepad support

GameDevDan

Former Jam Host
GMC Elder
Thanks for playing my game @Siolfor the Jackal - really enjoyed watching :)

This is actually a really cool boss fight. Dan seems to be really good at this - just putting boss fights in games where you don't think there's gonna be a boss fight.
Heheh - I just love a good boss fight. As per my devlog, I actually put in the boss fight right near the start of development so that I would definitely have it in there to complete the story, then I sandwiched the levels between that and the start later :p

hitboxes!
Yep, this is a crucial thing that everyone has pointed out. The hitboxes are in fact set to just "full image" and the hand sprites, not being square, do sometimes register a touch where there isn't one. Definitely something I need to watch it future!

What's funny though is once you notice the hitboxes are a few pixels off, there's a tendency to blame them every time (I noticed with both yours and Evan's streams) and I couldn't help but smile and think "you definitely would've died that one time anyway" lol

What's funny though is once you notice the hitboxes are a few pixels off, there's a tendency to blame them every time (I noticed with both yours and Evan's streams) and I couldn't help but smile and think "you definitely would've died that one time anyway" lol
Yeah, I noticed a few times I reactively blamed the hitboxes but instantly realised I was dead anyway! I think for me, knowing that I can't rely on the hitboxes makes me nervous and more prone to mistakes from hesitation though. But yeah, even then it was still awesome to play.

Bart

WiseBart
It looks like quite a few people played Nova Mare by now. A great thanks for your reviews so far!
The video playthroughs are particularly interesting because they actually show people's first impressions.
Thanks for that, @EvanSki and @Siolfor the Jackal!

3D is cool as always. Your last entry in 3D was super cool too. I'm always so amazed what people can pull off in GMS2. The underwater city was awesome and I loved the Bioshock vibes at the beginning. Getting the creature was awesome too, though I didn't really understand what I did to kill it, seemed like I just walked into it. Was that the patheticness of it? Anyway, very cool game!
You're entirely right about the BioShock vibes. The original game's intro was definitely an inspiration.
I'd say my other inspirations to create the atmosphere were the Metroid Prime series (mostly SkyTown, Elysia) and SOMA.
(Obviously it's not a fair comparison, since those games are still way ahead visually (for now?? 😄))

That said, I can see a lot of potential here. The atmosphere really felt like an underwater base. I hope the devs take this one further. Nice work!
Thanks! Greatly appreciate it!
I've been toying with that idea for a while now to create a larger 3D game with this atmosphere.
We'll see where it may end up!

I'll add some afterthoughts on the entry from my perspective, in a spoiler since we don't want this post to be covering the entire page:
It's been interesting to hear the pronunciation of the game's name in those videos.
The idea was to have it pronounced the Italian way, more or less like this.
(Not sure if my translation is correct but it's supposed to mean "New Sea")

As usual I had a bit more planned but once again I lacked the planning skills to get it all done in time (and the focus, too, I'm still pretty bad at scoping).
In the end I kept adding more and more visual things and the boss battle turned out pretty "pathetic". It felt like that could work in this case, because of the theme (meet "fierce foe", "danger of the seas" => shoot a couple of bullets at it => it's dead => "the end").
As some of you mentioned, the shooting doesn't work properly because of issues I had with point_direction, Box2D and the inverted projection.
The code turned into quite a mess right from the start because I inverted the y coordinate in the projection matrix compared to previous entries.
That made it impossible to get a proper topdown render of the game environment in the Room Editor and because of that, I started hard-coding instance positions in Create events of objects.
I also did the drawing differently than I usually do. This time I used a control object for everything instead of using a layer-based approach combined with the different draw events that GM offers.

Each bullet that actually hits the blobfish subtracts 20 life from the 100 total life that it has.
The somewhat tricky thing is to make the bullets hit the blobfish.
Since the aiming is off, by far the easiest way is to just go near the fish and shoot a couple of bullets at it.

For my reviews, I had a couple of tries at recording a video. Though I'm not sure if it'd contribute anything to the way I usually do my reviews (written).
Guess we'll see how it turns out :)

Last edited:

Mightyjor

I have my videos up of my playthrough of everyone's game! Thank you to all of the other devs who showed videos. They honestly help so much to see where I need to put focus for my next game. I hope this is as helpful for you as your videos were for me :)

PART 1:
Horse by The M - 00:00:20
Pathétique by Mr Magnus - 00:10:50
Dung Beetle by Pat Ferguson - 00:19:49
The Stick by Siolfor the Jackal - 00:30:04
Revenge Turkey Strategy by gmx0 - 00:35:08
Pathetic Swarm by Zodaris - 00:35:35
A Hole In Space by Neo_Kesha - 00:38:35
Drunken Joe by Gatefiz - 00:45:00
Six Feet by SoapSud39 - 00:50:15
Five Minute Mystery by Terminator_Pony - 01:15:43
Distress Signal Found by Sam Spade - 01:20:39
Flufferpuff by Micah_DS - 01:26:52
Bandit by TeamPicklefishGG - 01:31:14
Crusty Chris by woodsmoke - 01:34:40
Morse Code Trainer by FrostyCat - 01:37:22
Journey To Earth by Poizen - 01:44:53
Where Creatures Roam by Josh Chen, Bandman28 - 01:51:43
BLOCK by Sirham - 01:55:37
Danger Noodle by Ghandpivot - 01:59:30

PART 2:
Detritus by NavierIsStoked - 00:00:00
Flight of the Bin Chicken by Adam, Aidan, Marcus, Noah - 00:10:10
Old Man Toque by Toque - 00:14:56
Pugthetic by Fernando Gonzalez - 00:19:28
Hansha by Evanski - 00:22:04
Hopper The Toucan by Mercerenies - 00:28:04
Pathetic Prosthetics by Yozoraki - 00:45:53
Nova Mare by Bart, TheSnidr - 01:04:36
Monster Hunger by MatthewPattel - 01:11:54
To Hell With It by MIchael PS - 01:19:09 (muted due to a copyright claim from the music that was put in)
The Frootinis by GameDevDan, Allison James - 01:35:09

Last edited:

Mightyjor

Mercerenies' Cleverly Pulchritudinous and Arachnophobically Euphonious Reviews

1. (Game) - (Person)
2. (Game) - (Person)
3. (Game) - (Person)

Full rankings:
(Coming soon)

Best Use of Theme - (...)
Best Concept - (...)
Best Presentation - (...)

Reviews

I'll be reviewing every game and rating them across five categories: Gameplay, Graphics, Audio, Theme, and Personal Opinion. Your total score is not a definitive indicator of my vote for you; I determine my votes holistically. And don't be discouraged by a negative review: remember that I'm cleverly pulchritudinous and arachnophobically euphonious, so I'm giving constructive feedback to everybody. We're all friends, and it's totally awesome that you managed to produce a game in the first place.

As a final note, my Windows computer finally kicked the bucket last week. So I'll be playing these games under Wine on Linux, which in the past has seemed to do well enough for most entries. If any entries fail to run under this configuration, I'll play them in a second pass using a Windows 10 VM that I have.

Reviews will be listed in alphabetical order by the name of the game.

A Hole in Space - Neo Kesha (26/30)
Gameplay (5/5)
Graphics (3/5)
Audio (5/5)
Theme (5/5)
Opinion (8/10)

Well executed, and an awesome idea. I like the superlinear growth of the holes, so that if you leave any one of them for too long it becomes significantly harder to get rid of it later. Honestly, this game could've used an endless mode and an online highscore table. Still, it was fun to get to the end, and I got a shawerma for my troubles. Congrats on the job, by the way!

Awaremon - Mightyjor (30/30)
Gameplay (5/5)
Graphics (5/5)
Audio (5/5)
Theme (5/5)
Opinion (10/10)

Honestly, a flawless entry. This is just so wholesome and feels so good to play. I want to hug all of the critters, and that's the plot of the game, which is amazing! I really don't have that much to say; this entry went for a particular feel, and it achieved it tenfold.

BLOCK - Sirham (20/30)
Gameplay (4/5)
Graphics (3/5)
Audio (1/5)
Theme (5/5)
Opinion (7/10)

A short but creative platform puzzle game. I definitely appreciate a game that doesn't need to explain its mechanics, and the focus here is certainly on figuring out what the different elements of the room do. The platform physics themselves could've used a little work (it was awkward that I couldn't move and click the block at the same time, and that I couldn't jump and move at the same time), but it didn't affect the game in any major way. Admittedly, the music did get old pretty fast. But overall, it was a very short but entertaining puzzle.

Crusty Chris - woodsmoke (11/30)
Gameplay (1/5)
Graphics (1/5)
Audio (1/5)
Theme (5/5)
Opinion (3/10)

That was... something. To be honest, I really didn't like the way this one made me feel. It was just... gross. Not gross for any particular goal or story reason; just... gross in a bad way.

Danger Noodle - Ghandpivot (9/30)
Gameplay (1/5)
Graphics (2/5)
Audio (3/5)
Theme (0/5)
Opinion (3/10)

There's way too much going on here. I get a massive wall of text explaining twenty different mechanics, and then the game starts, there's ten things happening on screen, and I immediately get eaten by a snake. There's no time to figure out what's happening or what I need to do. I just... die each time. I also got spammed with highscore table errors the whole time, which didn't help.

Hansha - EvanSki (4/30)
Gameplay (0/5)
Graphics (1/5)
Audio (1/5)
Theme (0/5)
Opinion (2/10)

It's a game. Mostly.

Pathetic Prosthetic - Yozoroki (23/30)
Gameplay (4/5)
Graphics (5/5)
Audio (2/5)
Theme (5/5)
Opinion (7/10)

That was a fun entry. It took me a bit to figure out a few things, like that you have to right-click an enemy and then hit the exclamation point to enter combat. But once I got the UI down, the combat was fun, and the collectibles scattered throughout the place made the game a pleasure to play. Unfortunately, I couldn't figure out how to beat it though. I got all of the body parts (and all of the attacks), then went to the exit door, then the game softlocked on a screen with the lasers blocking the door. I couldn't go back, and clicking just made a "ding" sound.

Pugthetic - Fernando Gonzales (11/30)
Gameplay (2/5)
Graphics (2/5)
Audio (3/5)
Theme (0/5)
Opinion (4/10)

It's a bit of a pet peeve of mine when games, especially during a Jam, simply don't explain necessary mechanics. I had to check other people's reviews to figure out that I can crouch under the cars. That should've either been mentioned in a readme or in the instructions, or the cars should've been drawn in such a way that there was an obvious gap in the middle. Regardless, once I found that out, the game was pretty simple, and it did what it did well.

Revenge Turkey Strategy - gmx0 (2/30)
Gameplay (0/5)
Graphics (1/5)
Audio (0/5)
Theme (0/5)
Opinion (1/10)

I'm pretty sure I tried every key on my keyboard and every button on my mouse (and there are a lot of buttons on my mouse, mind you), and nothing happened. I'm sorry, but you need to explain something, or I can't play your game. If you don't have time to make an in-game tutorial, then you need to include a readme. This was literally unplayable on account of lack of instructions.

Six Feet - Soapsud (16/30)
Gameplay (2/5)
Graphics (5/5)
Audio (5/5)
Theme (0/5)
Opinion (4/10)

Well presented, but I actually couldn't figure it out totally. I eventually figured out how to dig and pick up the body (those are some of the most fickle hitboxes I've ever seen; if I click only slightly off in any direction, I walk instead of digging), but right clicking to put it in the ground seemed to have no effect. How do I actually... ya know, bury a body? ... Asking for a friend.

To Hell with It - Michael PS (22/30)
Gameplay (3/5)
Graphics (5/5)
Audio (4/5)
Theme (5/5)
Opinion (5/10)

A top-down combat game turned bullet hell by the end. The graphics were very well done; I can definitely respect the highly pixelated style when executed well. The gameplay was, frankly, a bit brutal. I had 5 HP to get to the entire end of the game, as far as I could tell there were no healing opportunities, and dying resets the whole game. Maybe I'm just not accustomed to this game's style of combat, but defeating even a single floor without taking 3 or 4 damage was next to impossible for me.
Ok, first of all, THANK YOU! Your words about my game totally made my day. One of the reasons I think game jams are so helpful is they help me deal with negative feedback in a positive environment, but it just is so nice when someone really appreciates something you make.

Second, I love your voting system. I would love if the whole jam followed a similar system, but I know it's probably difficult to implement.

samspade

I have my videos up of my playthrough of everyone's game! Thank you to all of the other devs who showed videos. They honestly help so much to see where I need to put focus for my next game. I hope this is as helpful for you as your videos were for me :)

PART 1:
Horse by The M - 00:00:20
Pathétique by Mr Magnus - 00:10:50
Dung Beetle by Pat Ferguson - 00:19:49
The Stick by Siolfor the Jackal - 00:30:04
Revenge Turkey Strategy by gmx0 - 00:35:08
Pathetic Swarm by Zodaris - 00:35:35
A Hole In Space by Neo_Kesha - 00:38:35
Drunken Joe by Gatefiz - 00:45:00
Six Feet by SoapSud39 - 00:50:15
Five Minute Mystery by Terminator_Pony - 01:15:43
Distress Signal Found by Sam Spade - 01:20:39
Flufferpuff by Micah_DS - 01:26:52
Bandit by TeamPicklefishGG - 01:31:14
Crusty Chris by woodsmoke - 01:34:40
Morse Code Trainer by FrostyCat - 01:37:22
Journey To Earth by Poizen - 01:44:53
Where Creatures Roam by Josh Chen, Bandman28 - 01:51:43
BLOCK by Sirham - 01:55:37
Danger Noodle by Ghandpivot - 01:59:30

PART 2:
Detritus by NavierIsStoked - 00:00:00
Flight of the Bin Chicken by Adam, Aidan, Marcus, Noah - 00:10:10
Old Man Toque by Toque - 00:14:56
Pugthetic by Fernando Gonzalez - 00:19:28
Hansha by Evanski - 00:22:04
Hopper The Toucan by Mercerenies - 00:28:04
Pathetic Prosthetics by Yozoraki - 00:45:53
Nova Mare by Bart, TheSnidr - 01:04:36
Monster Hunger by MatthewPattel - 01:11:54
To Hell With It by MIchael PS - 01:19:09
The Frootinis by GameDevDan, Allison James - 01:35:09
To answer your question on my game (The text based adventure game Distress Signal Found) you got one of the two possible endings and saw about 60% of the game's content. I don't think anyone I've watched has seen 100% but most people are finding between 60%-90%. That said, what people are 'missing' is not any different than what they are seeing and its not like there are additional secrets to be found people have just gone on slightly different paths. Even the different endings aren't obviously different. It's just minor variants in the description. You'd still get the same end game screen and then game loop as well.

The idea I had for the game, which I definitely didn't execute perfectly on, for those who are interested, is that you're supposed to play through the game and form some opinion of what happened through various observations and environmental clues and from that determine whether or not you did a good or bad thing in the way you repaired the mechanoid.

I've been watching the Good Place and playing the Witness and Sekiro so the ideas of environmental and passive story telling, how we come to know things, and ethical choices served as an inspiration (that and wanting to experiment with the new array/struct json data format).

Not being clear that this is the purpose of the game upfront (and not even really being clear about it at the end) was intentional, but maybe a mistake. I hoped that people would breeze through it and then get to the end and suddenly question what they'd done, and then perhaps go through it again and try to form a more careful understanding of the world, but I think it just isn't interesting enough as is to merit that second playthrough or careful first playthrough.

I've been enjoying all the playthroughs and watching how people respond to the final questions regardless though.

Alright, despite some minor technical difficulties, I finished up the jam games in my second stream.
Again I had a pretty good time, and thanks to everyone who came and hung out, even briefly.

www.twitch.tv/videos/825461016
www.twitch.tv/videos/825700903

Quite a few interesting and fun games. I pinged everyone in my edited voting post, so hopefully that worked.
The only game I had a major issue with was Pathètique, as it almost crashed my computer, and it killed my stream XD so good job, Magnus!

Last edited:

TehPilot

I'd like to thank everyone who came through during the second session with me and my friend on Twitch. Apologies we got a little more brash and unhinged than last time - I'd advise heeding my warning about foul language should you hop over to the vote post or my channel to watch the VOD. We'll be writing up in-depth and constructive commentary for our final votes for everyone!

On that note we only have four games left to go, and we're hoping to get through them tomorrow (December 5th) starting at 3:30pm EST (approximately fifteen and a half hours from now). If I can't make that time (I love sleeping in on the weekends...) I'll push it back by a few hours and probably closer to when we've been normally starting (7:30-8:15pm start).

Here are the last few games left for us to play:
Dung Beetle (@Pat Ferguson)
Horse (@The M)
Nova Mare (@Bart, @TheSnidr)
The Stick (@Siolfor the Jackal)

Looking forward to finishing the last few games tomorrow!

I fully intended to join your stream after a nap but I was truly dead to the world for a few hours. I'll make sure to be awake for your last one, especially since my game will be there heh.

Poizen

Thanks for everyone who reviewed my game (Journey to Earth) and/or made videos. I was expecting some people to like it and some people to dislike it. It can be frustrating because at times you have to do some precise bouncing to get the ball where you want it, and also there's luck involved with the powerups and stuff.

A lot of good criticism. I admit the game has shortcomings and could use work. A common sentiment was that the ground should be destructible. I was actually thinking of including a powerup that makes the ball destroy the ground, but it was one of those ideas I had to scrap due to time constraints.

Also I want to mention I made the game because I'm a fan of old breakout clones like Winbrick and DX-Ball. I played those a lot as a kid. :D

Mr Magnus

Viking King
I'd like to thank everyone who came through during the second session with me and my friend on Twitch.
Thank you for an extremely hilarious playtrough of my game. That deeply frustrated "I will be the only person in the entire GMC to get all stupid fifty coins of this thing" was wonderful. I'm glad you had fun in a very angry kind of way. :)

You're absolutely right in that I completed the actual gauntlet in five hours and then it took another hour for me to finish everything and simply forgot to change the message up top to reflect that last hour.

and to answer your initial question: Finals hurt me. I entered in to the jam to avoid having to write final papers for a few hours. I figured I wasn't going to make a *good* game absolutely exhausted in a few hours, so I may as well make as many people angry as I could.

ghandpivot

For those of you who didn't really get Danger Noodle, here's a quick playthrough of how I thought the experience would look like x)
The game needs to be heavily revised and optimized, but at least the idea was interesting.

Who ever beats 100 gets a random steam key.

Last edited:

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
For those of you who didn't really get Danger Noodle, here's a quick playthrough of how I thought the experience would look like x)
The game needs to be heavily revised and optimized, but at least the idea was interesting.
That makes way more sense in that case!, The way I would have gone about this is, start small, have the player and the snake and each level teach the player a new mechanic and enforce that mechanic before introducing the next, as it is right now, its a very quick dump of information with little time to understand it all without lots of trial and error

TehPilot

We've gotten through all the games on stream. I couldn't have asked for a better spread of last-day games than what we wound up with, in all honesty.

The video's available on Twitch now. In addition to our last four playthroughs, we did a preliminary ranking and quick re-discussion of most of the games. Our full reviews will be pending a few more days, but you can get a rough idea of our final opinion in the latter half of the VOD.

Thanks everyone for the support!

The M

I'm a little upset I missed the stream after trying to catch it but alas, it was great to watch in post. So the trick to moving fast is bunny-jumping by releasing the front legs just before the hind legs. Originally, you had twice as much health in the final level but because of extreme lag I reduced it (together with other optimizations) in an attempt to keep the game stable for everyone who played it. My biggest mistake was not putting an invisible wall after the water to prevent you from jumping over it on the way back. Turning around after the water would have been hard (because the arrows would need to be updated and the right-facing horse is a different object with a few different properties) so I just made you die. It's a good joke, but it only really works well if you nail it on the first try and don't die. Oh, and I guess I should have made the deep water pit a tad narrower too (I blame my playtester who got lucky and beat it on his first attempt :)).

The M

I've created a post-jam version of Hårs aimed at those who couldn't play the original version. This version can be played with a controller (using either the face buttons, the shoulder buttons/triggers or a combination of both), and you can toggle the use of shaders by pressing 1 before reaching the first castle (I can't say for sure that this won't break things because I never had the issue myself but at least I've made sure the shader is never used).

Micah_DS

I just finished playing all of the games. There are definitely some magical ones in there, that's for sure. I'll probably wait a while before posting my votes/reviews, since there's still plenty of time and I might be able to give some better feedback if I wait and replay a few games.

-
BTW, I don't know if anyone else here is as much of a sound design nerd as I am (not saying I'm good at it), but I created my toon fart sound effects from the ground up in a synth called Harmor. ;)
I didn't blow any kind of air into a mic to make them. But that should go without saying, I mean, come on. I can't make mouth farts. I'm an adult. That'd be far too childish for my age. :p

Mercerenies

I've created a post-jam version of Hårs aimed at those who couldn't play the original version. This version can be played with a controller (using either the face buttons, the shoulder buttons/triggers or a combination of both), and you can toggle the use of shaders by pressing 1 before reaching the first castle (I can't say for sure that this won't break things because I never had the issue myself but at least I've made sure the shader is never used).
I definitely appreciate the effort, but I still get a shader error in the post-Jam version, unfortunately. Same error as in my review post.

memory:67:22: error: syntax error, unexpected NEW_IDENTIFIER

at gml_Object_obj_night_Draw_73
############################################################################################
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
stack frame is
gml_Object_obj_night_Draw_73 (line -1)

Mightyjor

I just finished playing all of the games. There are definitely some magical ones in there, that's for sure. I'll probably wait a while before posting my votes/reviews, since there's still plenty of time and I might be able to give some better feedback if I wait and replay a few games.

-
BTW, I don't know if anyone else here is as much of a sound design nerd as I am (not saying I'm good at it), but I created my toon fart sound effects from the ground up in a synth called Harmor. ;)
I didn't blow any kind of air into a mic to make them. But that should go without saying, I mean, come on. I can't make mouth farts. I'm an adult. That'd be far too childish for my age. :p
I would like an in depth tutorial on fart noise creation please

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
I definitely appreciate the effort, but I still get a shader error in the post-Jam version, unfortunately. Same error as in my review post.

memory:67:22: error: syntax error, unexpected NEW_IDENTIFIER

at gml_Object_obj_night_Draw_73
############################################################################################
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
stack frame is
gml_Object_obj_night_Draw_73 (line -1)
Would this be a problem with Wine and not windows? 🤔

Mercerenies

Would this be a problem with Wine and not windows? 🤔
Possibly. The game unfortunately won't even start up on my Win10 VM, for unknown reasons (no error message; just a blank screen), but that VM has been unstable since day 1 so that's not too much of a surprise.

My own game uses shaders and runs fine under Wine, so it's definitely not the existence of shaders that's problematic. On the other hand, if Horse were using HLSL as opposed to GLSL or used some DirectX-only extension to the shader language, then that would cause a problem.

Mercerenies

Alright. Here's a version where I've just ripped out the shader entirely. Crossing my fingers... ;)
Success! It runs now. I'll give it a full playthrough tonight when I'm on my other computer (the one I'm on right now has the same keyboard ghosting issues that other people have reported; my other one is newer and shouldn't have as many issues with that). Thanks! :)

GameDevDan

Former Jam Host
GMC Elder
L

Lt. Farfetch'd

@The M Thanks for the shader-less version! I jumped straight to that and it's working just fine for me. :)
@Mercerenies I think a Wine problem seems very likely in this case, since we're having the same problem. I can confirm though that shaders themselves aren't the problem on my end. I can build projects containing shaders and Wine them just fine out of Godot and Unity, and other GMS games with shaders have run for me in the past. Godot's shader language uses OpenGL and Unity uses HLSL out-of-box, so I think this is some intricacy of GMS' handling of shaders. If only GMS were open source. ;)

Toque

@TehPilot
Enjoyed watching your videos. To answer your questions. Sadly the game is mostly true. Trained on apple IIe basic, arrays, vars, shaders etc were never used. I never needed them yet with GM. I’m not an angry old drunk. A real softie. If you can’t dazzle I can at least entertain.

You guys are hilarious doing the views!

GameDevDan

Former Jam Host
GMC Elder
1 week to get them votes in!

It'd be nice to get nearly as many voters as entries to get a clear result - as far as I can tell it's neck-and-neck at the moment.

Mr Magnus

Viking King
All righty, I'm done with playing and have posted reviews. Great job everyone, you can all be proud of yourself. There were some fantastic games in this jam and I had a lot of fun playing trough them.

Bart

WiseBart
My reviews are up!

As usual, the rankings should be taken with a large grain of salt. The top 10 is pretty clear but all others weren't too obvious.
If you have any remarks or comments do feel free to let me know.

(I had a couple of tries at recording video reviews but in the end I decided to not do them since it felt like it didn't contribute much. Still looking for a format that works.)

The M

I'm guessing the princess is "glued" to the horse using a weld joint to make this all work?
The princess has all physics disabled when carried and I set her position though code while she's on the horse. I tried letting her rest on top of the horse but the legs are too weak to carry the extra weight so it made walking impossible (that's likely also part of why you can't walk up slopes).

Was the letter A in the name inspired by the Swedish language? Or by any Nordic language?
Yes, it's a Swedish Å. It's a dumb joke where the English word "horse" is misspelled but still pronounced the same. If you were to translate it to English, you'd get "hair's" which makes absolutely no sense in this context.

Status
Not open for further replies.