GMC Jam Discussion The Cosy GMC Jam 39 Discussion Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

GameDevDan

Former Jam Host
GMC Elder
@GameDevDan if I'm a member of a 4-person team (say, programming x 2, audio and art) that generally prefers to work as a complete team, is there any way for us to participate - like a handicap or something? Asking for a friends. 😅
Ah just go ahead and do it - have fun! We're not that strict with the rules around here. If anyone cares they can take it into account when voting for your entry.

L

Lt. Farfetch'd

Ah just go ahead and do it - have fun! We're not that strict with the rules around here. If anyone cares they can take it into account when voting for your entry.
Sounds fair to me. Probability of us submitting anything is slim anyway. 😂

Gizmo199

Okay I got all day! Hmm, haven't even considered what exactly I'm gonna do though. Something small. I see people using IKs alot recently (including myself in another project). Might take this opportunity to play with them and refine my skills. Haha.

Zodaris

Me: "Oh yeah I'll try extra hard to actually do something for this jam!"
Also me: *Wastes all day yesterday.* *Spends entirety of today so far trying to remember how the flip to make/use steering behaviors.*
Well... at least this has been more effort than I've put into a jam in quite awhile, haha. Maybe I'll end up with something to show still.

Oh and the idea of QWOP but with a horse horrifies me with just how hard that would be to play. I like it.

ghandpivot

Anybody used https://gmscoreboard.com/ recently? Is it still working? When I make a scoreboard and click "view" it just shows a scoreboard not found error.
Edit: It still seems to be possible to call data from it, so I guess it doesn't matter 🙃
Edit: Never mind, I can't call the data... Shame.

Last edited:

Gizmo199

Looks terrible. Start over.........

Amazing stuff......!
Haha. I just might! Honestly I dont know if I'm gonna actually finish or not. I won't be able to work on it really at all today. Guess we will see how sunday goes. I dont wanna enter something thrown together. At least it did help me get to play with and learn IKs a bit better. Ha.

samspade

Question: is saving and loading saved files possible in this jam or with the jam player? (e.g. have a save file so players can exit the game and return to it and pick up where they left off.)

Toque

Haha. I just might! Honestly I dont know if I'm gonna actually finish or not. I won't be able to work on it really at all today. Guess we will see how sunday goes. I dont wanna enter something thrown together. At least it did help me get to play with and learn IKs a bit better. Ha.
I hope you keep it. It would be cool to play with.

SoapSud39

Question: is saving and loading saved files possible in this jam or with the jam player? (e.g. have a save file so players can exit the game and return to it and pick up where they left off.)
Last jam a few of the games had saves, I think.
I just checked, and the ini file from GameDevDan and NAL's game is still in my local app data directory.

Mercerenies

It most certainly is. The Jam Player just runs your game like normal, which means any saving/loading you do goes to the usual AppData folder. My entries very often rely on save files, so I can guarantee it'll work.

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
I always have this stupid mindset that the jam ends tomorrow and that 1 day does not mean i have a whole extra 24 hours to work on my game

ghandpivot

I've learnt a lot this jam, from basic inverse kinematics to highscores to better hitboxes and optimized partent/child systems.
I don't think I'll get the online highscores running, I tried to setup my own server for it but they'd email me within 48 hours when it's live, and that's a bit too late for me to also learn what on earth I'm suppose to do with it. I'm already running way behind schedule with the rest of life, tomorrow I'll polish and upload.
The premise of the game was cool - growing the snake gives you score but makes it much harder to survive. But it's not really any fun 😅
I think it needs to have more impact with screen shakes and wiggles, even more speed, more dangers and online scores. I've had conveyor belts half-implemented, they would allow you to gather more food quicker while running the risk of crashing the snake into them.

N

NavierIsStoked

Been adding in some mechanics and just added in a new evolution of this creature. The lighting is a bit rough, been trying to make it pixel-perfect but been preoccupied with implementing the core game loop. Hopefully we have enough time to finish the game!

centipede4.png

Gizmo199

Okay... it's almost 3 am. I have had a bit of time to get to the "killing" part of the game after some cutscenes...but...
I am still clueless. It matches the theme but man is it basic. The look is TRASH. I might do a little more but:
GML:
idea = ( hard == true ? giveup = "Inevitably" : giveup = "Definitely");

woodsmoke

Okay, time to start making my game now.

Fart to move forwards.
Burp to move backwards.

Edit:
FINISHED! Did it in one big session about 6 hours, almost non stop.
2AM now and I need to go to work tomorrow.

Last edited:

ghandpivot

I'm done! Took water way over my head with this one, way too complex programming for my taste and spent waay too long fixing weird bugs and optimizing 😋

Last edited:

Mr Magnus

Viking King
I'm in, I'm done, and I'm going to sleep.

Who's bright idea was it to host this Jam right in the middle of final's season? Yes, I know it's been on this date for years, but I have so many papers to write.

Also, hello everybody. How are you all doing? Is it too late to start a long winded discussion on what voting system we're using or did that go out of fashion in 2016? It's been a while so I'm a bit out of the loop.

Zodaris

Just submitted my entry! Been a long time since I actually stuck to a jam all the way through. Not my best work by a long shot, but hope you guys like it. Now I'm off to bed cause it's 3:30AM here, haha.

SoapSud39

Got my entry in just in time. Didn't have time to playtest though.... so I hope it's good.

Also, reserving this post for my last devlog. (unless I can get it in before the topic gets closed)
(edit: jk no devlog here. too tired to think of anything new that hasn't already been written in my games topic post; maybe, if I feel like it, I'll put a little bit of post-jam thoughts on my voting post)

Last edited:

GameDevDan

Former Jam Host
GMC Elder
I generally leave the topic open for a little bit for people to get their links in order: So this is a notice. Please, please, please MAKE SURE YOUR LINKS WORK in the next hour or so. Especially if you've put the game on itch - make sure it's set to public and is visible when you're not logged in (just check in an incognito tab).

Status
Not open for further replies.