GMC Jam Discussion The Cosy GMC Jam 39 Discussion Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Neo_Kesha

There are 895 eight lettered words starting with PA for first word
There are 61019 eight lettered words for second word
54612005 combinations overall
I guess i will waitfor more letters, eh :)

Xer0botXer0

Senpai
Give a type writer to three monkeys and eventually they'll print out shakespears Sonnet 18.

I think I'm a bit more intelligent than three monkeys first word is Pancakes.

bandman28

There are 895 eight lettered words starting with PA for first word
There are 61019 eight lettered words for second word
54612005 combinations overall
I guess i will waitfor more letters, eh :)
Heh heh. Where’d ya find that?
@Alice, this is my guess for you:
Pandemic/survival
Lol
By the way I’m in with @Josh Chen
Good luck everyone! :)
Edit: wait that could actually be it

Momoro

Are copyright games not allowed? Meaning, if I were to create, say, a Pokemon game from GameMaker, but code it entirely myself, would that not be allowed? I'm just unsure of the rules is all :)

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
Are copyright games not allowed? Meaning, if I were to create, say, a Pokemon game from GameMaker, but code it entirely myself, would that not be allowed? I'm just unsure of the rules is all :)
Depends on how much copyright we're talking about.

Copying creative content (graphics, OST, dialogue, level layout etc.) from another game is a no-no (trivial things like plain black square sprite wouldn't count as creative content).

Making a game with all your assets based around the concept of Pokemon (monster catching, monster fights, etc.) but not using Pokemon world/characters/monsters/etc. should be 100% fine. Same for e.g. non-Sonic platformer using Sonic-like momentum mechanics or non-Castlevania platformer using Castlevania-like connected overworld.
Likewise, referencing simple Pokemon memes ("It's not very effective", "It's been 3000 years") should be ok.

Making a game with all your assets, but set in Pokemon-verse with existing or new creatures (whether intended as parody or somewhat serious fanwork)... it's a gray area and I wouldn't dare to do that without consulting a copyright expert.

N

Neo_Kesha

Heh heh. Where’d ya find that?
Just downloaded list of all english words by first link in Google, from github and made simple program that filters all words by two criteria for first and second word.

Toque

Personally it would depend on what exactly your talking about. To just redo a Pokemon game seems kind of pointless. But if you did a Pokemon style game where vegetables battle each other that would be okay for me.

if you redid Mario I would say no. But if you had the Mario character in a murder slasher Game I would be okay with that.

I would give jam games a bit of creative freedom. But to just duplicate a Pokemon game and art I would rank last or not at all. To me jams are for experimenting or trying something original Or different not just cloning existing game.

N

Neo_Kesha

I personally would avoid copyrighted stuff, just for practicality sake. I mean, ideas are not copyrighted, nor genres, so "Pokemon like game" would be fine copyright wise, etc etc
I am more about exact assets that you use. If your game uses only assets you/your team produced, or something royalty free, you can then easily use this project for a wider purpose than jam, e.g. steam release.

ghandpivot

A lot of licenced material is fair use as long as you're not making money from it. Few assets from main stream games, movies etc is released under such a licence, so avoid that all together. If you take a premade asset, double check that you're not violating the terms of use. Make sure that the bulk of your game is made within the time frame of the jam (preferably all of it but I think only few entrants make their own music/sound).

For example, music on newgrounds often have this little box, allowing it to be used in jam games etc.
1604760442574.png

Gizmo199

I didn't realise how fun it was going to be watching people try to guess the theme.
Very. My favorite was when someone guessed it waaaayyyy early on but no one knew it until it became almost blatantly obvious. It always amazes me how good some of you gmc folk are at deductive reasoning. Can't wait. I am at ease knowing (or at least assuming) that it is NOT pandemic response.

So guesses...hmm...
I GOT IT!
Pathogen Response

L

Lt. Farfetch'd

Very. My favorite was when someone guessed it waaaayyyy early on but no one knew it until it became almost blatantly obvious. It always amazes me how good some of you gmc folk are at deductive reasoning. Can't wait. I am at ease knowing (or at least assuming) that it is NOT pandemic response.

So guesses...hmm...
I GOT IT!
Pathogen Response
The time I chose the theme it was "Turn It Off And On Again" which, in retrospect, became quite easy to guess quite quickly. 😅

Also my guess is "pandowdy duckmole". Put it into a wheel of fortune guesser site and that was, by far, the best combo.

curato

The time I chose the theme it was "Turn It Off And On Again" which, in retrospect, became quite easy to guess quite quickly. 😅

Also my guess is "pandowdy duckmole". Put it into a wheel of fortune guesser site and that was, by far, the best combo.
I actually like the easy to guess ones. I usually have an idea of what i think it is then I am disappointed when I can't do the idea that I have in mind.

GameDevDan

Former Jam Host
GMC Elder
Another option I considered was PACIFIST/GENOCIDE.
Ooh I like this - would either lend itself to "pick how you play" type games OR I guess devs could pick one or the other and make either a super violent or super peaceful game.

The M

PACIFIST/GENOCIDE was my first guess and would be a cool theme. PREVIOUS_JAM_GAME is also an interesting option. Didn't we have a "remake" jam a few years back? I vaguely remember barely missing it. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.